IMDb > "Jericho" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jericho"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Jericho" More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 18: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Jericho lives

Author: mrangel2 from United States
12 April 2008

I've watched every episode of Jericho several times over. I've watched the show on TV, I've rented all the DVD's and watched them and I've downloaded the shows over and over on line to watch again!My entire family loves Jericho and is working to bring it back!! I'm disappointed that CBS canceled Jericho, not surprised tho, I've seen too many "good" shows canceled for no reason. I'm just glad that this time I've got more fans on my side and we won't let CEO's tell us what we will like and what we won't like.

I am a unique person in the fact that I've never seen one episode of "Friends", "Frazier", "Seinfeld", "SouthPark", or any of the other so called "quality" shows. I don't watch the any of the "Law and Order" shows (how many spin offs now? 16?) or any other show that is out simply to make money for Hollywood and sell time for advertisers which leaves my family and myself very little to choose from.

Jericho stands alone as an intelligent, thought provoking, extremely well acted and directed show. This show must come back!! I will follow it no matter which channel picks it up and continues it!! So will 6-10 million other viewers!! Never give up! Never surrender! Terri in Texas (Yee-Haw)

Incredible Potential, Nice Start

Author: digitalmaleficus from United States
30 January 2008

Okay let me first say there is so much potential for this show its insane. My first impression of this show is, think small town issues PLUS global issue in the form of a nuclear holocaust.

Don't be mislead the town itself is relatively untouched, and its more a 'We're still hicks but we just happen to see a far away boom'.

Now that may not sound very interesting but like every meal, its all in the execution. FIrst thing you'll notice is the 'leading man' (although the series is focused around a number of town locals). THe use of a not overly dashing but not some old over used sitcom actor is a nice touch' Think hometown boy who left for the big city, and has just coincidentally came home the day the world sees the holocaust.

Now the show is okay but the potential is where i say the series has its 'sweet spot'. It can become a Fallout (for those video gamers) mixed with Madmax mixed with Lost type series. Persdonally I'd like to see it turn into a Madmax/Fallout type storyline following a wandering leading character following exploits of the town trying to reach out further in area, meeting new cities, towns etc.

THe shining point is this, being a TV series with a GIANT field of creative story ability, there should be TONS of episodes that aren't stretching the far fetched/corny/cliché border anytime soon/often.

Jericho - Heaven - is a place where nothing ever happens

Author: nickrandall55 from Australia
30 November 2006

Ah, Idyllic Jericho. Where the corn stays ripe and on the stalk well after the harvest is done, where love is in the air everywhere we look. I confess I got sucked in and watched nearly every episode this season, each week waiting for something to happen. Then finally tonight as my final hour approached, no pun intended, I suddenly remembered one of my favorite Talking Heads tracks, and its punch line quoted in my summary. I confess I think some of the acting is actually quite good, sadly wasted on a story which is slowly going no where. The flow of Jericho reminds me of that age old classic day time soap opera The Gliding Blight. Speaking of which the final episode zombies, straight out of the 'Night of the Well Heeled Dead' were pretty entertaining, the best scene in the series so far. I also confess I admire the skill of the producers/hype merchants and their capacity to get so much mileage out of so little material. But I really wish they would turn their skills to advertising and leave those of us who crave good drama alone. You see I am somewhat spoiled. After moving from California to Australia twenty years ago I discovered that the British produce excellent drama. Jericho, on the other hand makes me wish I had been one of the lucky ones atomized in Denver and well and truly out of my misery by now. What do people in Denver think of this? Someone please wake me up when its over.

Nothing special

Author: pamacea from Canada
16 November 2013

In a TV land of Breaking Bad, the Sopranos and Mad Men, Jericho is nothing special at all. It is a GREAT premise, however, the whole production lacks realism. Just a few examples from the first three shows: they manage to pick up a faint TV signal from somewhere in Asia, but no one thinks of grabbing a shortwave radio from the nearest hardware store. Their hand held radios have unbelievable range, but somehow a few nukes have apparently wiped out all A.M. radio broadcasting capabilities across the entire United States. Trains en route with goods and planes that made emergency landings have been mysteriously abandoned even though they are no where near cities that have been bombed...

Reviewers who have given this a good rating should revisit their tolerance for plot holes.

Couple that with characters that are little too cliché to be believable, not to mention the fact they really don't seem that terribly upset by it all, and you have a mediocre show that could have been so much better.

Modern soap opera

Author: jtbo
2 August 2007

Problem is probably on my end, but this series feels more like The Bold and the beautiful instead of apocalyptic survival story.

Background story is great but it seem to be minor part, feels like it is more important who has a bad day and who is feeling sad as her boyfriend is not noticing her enough than actual story.

Similar problems as with Lost (which I can't watch as I fell on sleep) and every modern 'big' show there is nowdays running.

It is very hard to get into 'there' as people are acting so unrealistically, sure there can be few that are concentrating on their nails in such situation, but those are first to die in real situation, would be nice if writers would get bit closer to this world.

I do prefer watching Airwolf over this one, even it has bad plot and not so good acting but at least my eyes stay open when I'm laughing on it :)

Has flaws but I enjoy it

Author: januaryman-1 from Stephens County, OK
26 October 2006

There seem to be a view holes in the plot here and there, but I try not to let these get in the way of enjoying the series. The show is interesting in that it raises questions about societal structure following the destruction of (or isolation from)most recognized government. The teens jumped easily into an anarchical view but most adults still recognize local government as an authority, but to varying degrees. Some believe the emergency of nuclear war puts the Constitution and individual rights in limbo. They want to collectivize everything. Others resist this attitude. There is even an emergent warlord with the philosophy that he with the most stuff rules.

Quite Not Bad, and be reasonable

Author: Alex Ooi from Queensland
23 October 2006

For me, I think the show is quite OK. Well, even you cannot rate the famous shows such as CSIs, Lost, 24 and Law and Order in just the first few episodes, right? I had watched all five episodes. I gotta say, I seriously thought that it is intense and with nice plots (at least until now). I understand people say that the camera had been wrongly placed and it's fast pace is something not that good for this kind of show, but think about this - having a change from the usual thriller series isn't that bad right? And the change is not badly made either.

I know a lot of 24 and Lost's fans will compares Jericho with their favorite show and straight away under-rate Jericho, believe me, I am a 24 fan, but every show has their own strength and weakness. If you want to say illogical, which I saw most negative comments main theme are for the Jericho, you have to know that most of the show had inaccuracies and illogical stuffs. It's part of the stuffs that makes the series a series.

Overall, I got a feel that Jericho would have at least a full season (again, for now), so we will see how it is going. I seriously hope the people that had bad mouth Jericho think about their words again and try to watch Jericho again if possible. Hopefully it will give you a different perspective.

Also, for those who compare the show to those old movies. I had to ask, had you really watched these old movies and shows before? And come on, there's definitely improvements in 50 years right? Please don't just simply give a comment just after watching one third of the show.

It should be better

Author: Jkleinerpsu from United States
3 March 2012

I gave this show a 3 out of 10 because It has a great premise but the acting is atrocious and the writers/directors did a horrible job of trying to keep the show flowing. I tried watching most of the first season and I had to stop watching after the 6th or 7th episode because of how bad it actually is. At times it was as if I had to force myself to keep watching more because I did want to know what happened but all the while was disappointed by the acting. Overall, I expected a lot more because I feel as if this sort of horrible acting is not really accepted anymore and it is not something that I thought would plague the show. I think this show should be redone with decent actors and maybe it could go somewhere...until then don't even waste your time watching it.

Apparently all the writers got nuked

Author: jesse-richard
9 October 2011

First, post-apocalyptic stories are my fav. This one started solid but by halfway through season one I was not surprised to read it was already in death throes.

Really, its just terrible writing isn't it. Absolutely no consistency in characters. Some are stoic in one episode, awash with emotions in the next. One minute New Bern is making windmills for Jericho, the next they are mortaring it for no particular reason. Over 1 1/2 seasons the entire cast turncoats on behaviors, and the entire production descends into madness.

Writers depend on whatever mood they need to construct whatever preposterous scenario they've conjured up with half enthusiasm. If that doesn't work, characters become suddenly evil beyond belief. Like is Kansas filled with Stalin's and Mao's?

And another conspiracy that goes all the way to the top? Cmon? Seriously? "I nuked 30M people to separate and destroy the country, wipe out all manufacturing and agriculture, devalue the currency and engage in war, and basically send the US back to the stone age so I can take it all over." That's like burning down the house to sit at the head of a table.

Uugh. It's just grueling. More so, it's insulting. It insults your intelligence by not being consistent, by peddling bullshit stories, by excluding all humanity, and by leaning on conveniences. THE WRITERS SUCK!

BOOOOO!!!

Among the Best on Network Television

Author: kva7922046 from United States
26 December 2007

Seldom is a television program so gripping that millions will speak out against its cancellation, demanding that the show be re-instated. Much less a television program that has aired only one season.

Jericho is that show.

America's worst nuclear nightmare has happened two dozen times. Jericho realistically showcases what people will compromise and triumphs of the human spirit that happen when the people of a small town are must face the end of the world as they know it.

The performances (especially from veteran actors Lennie James, Gerald McRaney and Pamela Reed)are stellar. The story lines are mature and serialized, but without losing sight of the fact that people sit down to watch television to be entertained.

Love, loss, intrigue, betrayal and redemption. Jericho has something for everyone. For network television, it's as good as it gets. And I'm not watching anything better from the Big 3 (or is it 4, or 5)? A solid 9, but after the masterful concluding arc and judging it against what is currently on network television, Jericho rates a 10.