IMDb > "Jericho" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Jericho"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Jericho" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Nobody is in Charge

Author: sneezewhiz from Washington DC
29 October 2006

I'm fascinated by this show partly because I am a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction (Alas Babylon, The Day After, Testament, The Last Ship, Threads, On the Beach, etc). I recommend "Threads"(BBC 1984). After viewing it, you will wonder why someone hasn't done a good book or movie about Hurricane Katrina using it's premise.

But back to "Jericho." A town of five thousand in western Kansas, most of whose residents have no visible means of support. Where is the big employer, like a shoe factory or a plastic-extruding plant? You can't tell me the town is one to two thousand farmers and their families.

Farmers would be too busy and too far away to hang out in a bar all day, they'd have supplies of gasoline and food at their farms, plus old agricultural machinery and other equipment that doesn't require gasoline and there would be people who would have the knowledge to operate it.

A town of five thousand would have a courthouse, a bank, and leading citizens. There would be power dynamics and struggles that were in place before the catastrophe.

In the most recent episode we learn that the Greens have a ranch out in the countryside with a barn full of horses. A barn full of horses is a time-consuming high-maintenance endeavor, not some place you visit in the fourth episode because you need to get Jake Green worked up.

We also learn that the people of Jericho turn to the mayor and police when their utilities stop working. There does not appear to be an electric substation anywhere near the town nor anyone in the town who appears to know where the electricity came from.

It looks like the creators of this show got their concept for a small town from their experience with suburban bedroom communities. Jericho appears to work as if there were a large city no more than 20 minutes away by car, not like a town in the middle of nowhere.

If you take a look at the IMDb cast & crew page for this show, you will note there are no credited producers, directors or writers. You see executive producers, art, sound, SFX and miscellaneous crew, but just like the town of Jericho itself, there are no responsible adults to look to or blame.

not very believable characters

Author: terence_j_morrissey from United States
18 October 2006

I wanted this to be a good show as the premise seems good for a television vehicle. And the main plot is good; the problems faced in the aftermath of some kind of nuclear explosions is a good plot line. However, the subplots of intrigue, conspiracy and apathy ruin this show for me.

Of the minor subplots, the reaction of the towns teenagers is unfathomable. They want to have parties where they are willing to pay $20 for a bag of chips at the local store amidst hoarding and panic. The kids continue to act as if nothing has happened and continue their bullying to the town nerd, save for the one rich girl he seeks attention from.

The second unbelievable subplot is the town bar. I have never seen a bar so packed after thermonuclear detonation and seemingly as long as the drinks keep coming, the apocalypse is of little concern to the bar patrons. I just think the teens and the barflies might have a different reaction in face of the potential end of the world.

In the final analysis, I will watch this show, but if I miss an episode or two, I will not care. The real great show this season, (full of promise and a potential vehicle for the great Science fiction writers of the world much the same as the original Star Trek did)is Eureka on the Sci-Fi channel.

Jericho - disappointment

Author: itch-RO
5 December 2006

Great idea for a TV show and first and 2nd episodes were watchable, but after that it turned into the worst sci-fi soap opera. These people have NO imagination at all, the plot is just plain stupid; just think about this: it's been 2 months since the nuclear bombing and nobody knows what's outside their own town - Jericho, almost every scene is indoors and the characters don't do anything but to talk and then talk some more. Even when they run out of food they don't leave town - they simply find a wrecked food train just outside their city....

I really wanted to like this show but it just has the worst play - writers ever!

An apocalyptic disappointment

Author: paladinmtk from United States
2 October 2006

Gamma World written by Madison Avenue. Factually and scientifically inaccurate melodrama mawkishness. Why couldn't the writers pick up a copy of the Planet of the Apes Movies or the Gamma World Role Playing Game and go from there? I have always dined at the table of a longed for good nuclear apocalypse show and have always gone away from the table hungry. This show develops too slowly, and why are all the girls still so pretty with their hair done so nice with their make up and collagen lips and plastic hips after a nuclear holocaust? How come the former St. Louis cop hyper-competently instructs the yokels how to duct tape their houses but yet decides to keep his Morse code short-wave radio knowledge of the extent of the national destruction a secret for only the viewers to melodramatically know at the end of episode 2? Why can you survive by putting plastic on your windows during the radiation rain, but half the town has to be buried in an explosion in a salt mine deep beneath the earth? Why don't they just put dinosaurs in F-16's? Unlike Jericho's depicted apocalypse, I predict this show will die an early death with a whimper.

I nice idea, executed by cretinous morons.

Author: dominicrimmer from United Kingdom
31 May 2007

Having heard good reports about "Jericho" I delved in, hoping for a realistic and moving depiction of an American small town being isolated by surrounding nuclear attacks.

Christ I was disappointed.

Terrible acting and dialogue are unbelievable at first, and then steadily turn to laughable. The main character who mysteriously returns to "Jericho" after an unexplained five year absence is so heroic that in the first episode he saves an entire school bus load of children, including making a makeshift respirator for one of them with some straws and a pen knife! He is also a fine mechanic (although not as fine as the sexy school teacher whom he initially patronises when she offers her help), he can handle a gun, he can give moving speeches and he is an explosives expert ("Where did you learn to do that?" "I knew a guy once.")

The only black guy in it also mysteriously turns up and immediately starts telling people how to react in a nuclear war kind of way, like some kind of expert or something.

There's an impending romance between a "popular" girl and a "geeky" guy. Ther's a comedy madman who thinks aliens are attacking. There's a bus full of murderers that crashes while all this is going on.

I could go on but I don't have the energy. The only thing positive I can say about this programme is that it made me laugh, and I suppose that is a pretty decent positive, but how long will those laughs last?

fun show

Author: seabeeb from United States
29 March 2008

I really found this show refreshing. Its not the greatest show ever but it was entertaining. The show gives the feel of Saturday morning serials (fast paced and leaving you with a cliff-hanger). I loved the underlying messages to our current governmental situation. I just learned that it was not to be picked up again. I can't believe CBS is cancelling the show after the response they received after it was cancelled the first time. I hope that some other network (ie. SciFi) will try to carry on the series (sort of like Battlestar Galactica) to a complete and thorough conclusion even if it doesn't fit the usual format of a least five years.

OK - but Where are the shows advisors?

Author: Nordicnorn from United States
2 July 2007

I was initially sucked in... I am also a huge fan of post-apocalyptic movies, shows, and books. That is, until they tried to treat radiation sickness with iodine off the shelf. I suppose the writers never even bothered to check that out on any web page readily available on the subject. Then comes the Rain fallout: once it stops raining, everyone just went back to their fields and harvested the highly contaminated food from the highly contaminated soil. Alrighty then.... They also lack any sort of military adviser given the way they handle every armed encounter. It wouldn't be so awful if the characters didn't consist of an ex-Army Ranger, a mercenary and black ops member, and an FBI "uber" agent. While the acting is acceptable, the characters in general, are cardboard cut-out stereotypes, with little depth or deviation from their assigned roles. The women in the story are simply window dressing for the men and have no real voice or power. The men run the show, make all decisions, while the women in true 1950's fashion, support their men- regardless of how many bad, ignorant decisions they keep making. They simply hold down the fort, cook up food for the menfolk, and nurse the sick, all with perfect hair and makeup. On several occasions, they stupidly squander resources - like when they have a giant town BBQ with the meat so it doesn't spoil instead of smoking or salt-curing it; or like lighting up the street lights with the limited electric power they have. There also does not seem to be one short wave radio operator in town that can get a signal from even the closest town. Lastly, the unrealistic feel of the town is impossible to ignore. No major chain grocery? No real department store? One doctor in a town of 5000 people? It is a ridiculous attempt by the writers to portray a perfect middle America Mayberry RFD town to appeal to the masses -- unfortunately, that kind of town hasn't existed in about 50 years - if it ever did. I would suspect none of the writers have even driven through the Midwest, if this is how they picture it.

Overall - Pass over this one. It stared out with a good premise, and went downhill. How can one explain a show like Firefly getting canceled and this one sticks? The is beyond me who would want to keep this show around enough to send the nuts to CBS.

A wasted opportunity with a minor spoiler at the end

Author: snocap_addict from United States
28 March 2007

Jericho has a good premise, ie, the experiences of a small town after a infrastructure crippling disaster striking the entire United States. Me, personally? I love the post-apocalyptic genre when it's done well. It lends itself easily to drama, with themes of trust, sacrifice, and leadership available immediately Let's get one thing out of the way first, however, and that is that the whole idea is NOT original. Why people think that is beyond me, as there are loads of post-apocalyptic fiction, movies, and TV shows out there, and even more specifically, ones that deal with this exact situation.

But unoriginality can be worked around as long as the story presented is done well. Unfortunately Jericho fails in this regard. The direction is nonexistent, the actors are wooden, the dialog is painful and delves into cliché after cliché, and the overall plot is painfully predictable. Everything is dumbed down, and the big mysteries are clumsily executed. Sadly, many of the actors have shown talent in others movies and shows, so I'm left to blame their phoned-in scenes on the director and writers. To get a handle on the silliness this show uses, just take a look at the pilot episode. **MINOR SPOILER** The end of the pilot involves one of the characters rescuing a BUS FULL OF CHILDREN. It was so ludicrous that at first I threw it into the satire pile. When I realized it was meant to be serious and heartwarming, I almost cried at how insulting it all was. **END SPOILER** I still watch it in the hopes that it will get better, but every further episode I watch threatens to crush it all into nothing.

Tense Fireworks, Little Fallout

Author: Random Task from Boston, MA
26 September 2006

Disaster movies have resurged and now have led us to disaster TV. They always make for spectacular viewing. Most disaster flicks are now miniseries, like "Asteroid" and "10.5" which hang onto the unsubtly melodramatic ways of the original "Poseidon Adventure" "Earthquake" or "Airport 77" when everyone fixated on the disaster itself and teased their audiences with unspectacular special effects of scale models and rear-screen projection. Film (and TV) makers now focus more often on the drama rising from catastrophe. "Lost" is a sci-fi phenomenon spun around a truly disastrous plane crash and plays up character interaction while it tries to stretch its weirdness out across the seasons. It's effectively engineered TV. "Jericho" has a premise with similar promise, but it seems to lack the chops necessary to survive the fierce competition of the 2006 fall lineup.

The pilot is a helter-skelter hour of introductions and setup. The headliner here is Skeet Ulrich as the Jericho's prodigal son, Jake Green, who is returning home after a mysterious absence of 5 years. He drives a black retro-hip muscle car, appropriately tarnished, and rolls back into town to a fantastic rock soundtrack interrupted by a rather obvious channel scan across a news station which speaks of vague international troubles that a tactfully unnamed President is grappling with. The first segment is devoted to Jake bumping into old friends and acquaintances as he goes to meet his family and request inheritance to restart his life. In spite of the excellent photography, it's hastily edited in a fashion with a couple of discrepancies that indicate that the story was re-edited at least once. (What is this? The receiving line at a school reunion?) A short and bitter-sweet visit with his family reveals enough reason for Jake to make a hasty departure. Although it did seem more than a little rude for Jake to leave his mom - played steadfastly by Pamela Reed - standing in the graveyard on the outskirts of town. (Are gas prices so high in this reality that you can't afford to give her a lift back?) Within minutes, the iconic image of this new series appears: a young boy watching the mushroom cloud of a (presumably) nuclear explosion rise beyond the local mountain range.

The other three-quarters of the program is more expertly played as the focus turns to effectively generating tension among the occupants of the town. Communication and power go down. Cars watching the explosion collide. Wildlife run erratically. A riot breaks out at the gas station. The elementary school fieldtrip returning from the city is long overdue. Various characters bounce off one another hinting at story arcs to come. Jake's no-nonsense father, Mayor Johnston Green (Gerald McRaney), makes the rounds to the crazy HAM radio operator and contends with his political opponent who seems to salivate for each moment he can win points with the townspeople even in the face of disaster. There is the mysterious new resident in town who seems very effective at disaster management and police work. Most of these incidents are resolved by the end of the hour – well, all except for an unknown number of US cities being blown up.

This is a great premise for a TV show. It creates a strange situation that has the potential to generate a variety of suspenseful story lines. It limits the number of locations and sets (the execs love when you can do that) and plays to everyone's love of their hometown and the quirky characters we all know. It's also very smart in limiting the impact set pieces. (Get the car back on the road; find portable flood lights; store food in the heavy ice bins.) However, many of the characters come off as having cardboard motivations and it's the supporting cast, like the firemen, newcomer and team of shop owner & newly orphaned employee who appear to have more potential than the main cast. The vein of overt sentimentality seems to be aiming this show more in the direction of "Independence Day" where there is the illusion and spectacle of danger, but everything works out just because the writers expect that the audience wants it that way. If this first episode is any indication, we can expect the flavor of doom in "Jericho", but real world consequences won't intrude any more than gravity did all those times Bo and Luke Duke launched the General Lee over the broken bridges of Hazard County.

5 out of 10

interesting but way to soapy

Author: endymionng from Denmark
14 June 2007

So we are done with the first season of this interesting premise combining the classic movie "The Day After" with the equally strong British post-catastrophe show from the seventies called "Survivors". The British show had a virus kill of 99% of the British population, so the rebuilding and maintaining of society and civilization is the same as here. However this US show is so far spending way to much time in close-ups of soapy sub-plots that belongs on daytime television instead being the though gritty tale it could be. I don't mind the big baddie lurking far away as a potential threat, but the story ought to focus on the rebuilding of society if it is going tell a meaningful tale. As with the "Invasion" show from 2005 nothing much happens at all between the pilot and episode 12 at which point it has almost painted itself into a corner... We will see what (if anything) happens to save the show. Points for pretty decent acting (although they killed the best one in the final - that was nuts...), potential and some of the subplots, but thats it - more than seven is nuts...

Page 2 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]