Jericho (TV Series 2006–2008) Poster

(2006–2008)

180 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Small town, big bang.
MJWalker23 December 2010
It's a great series that deserved more of a fighting chance. It's easy to understand the many ardent fans of the show, but hard to understand Jericho's failure to attract more viewers than it did. The show is engaging, to the point of being dangerously addicting and whatever it lacks (see below), that's more than made up for by a consistently inventive story expansion. The show moves seamlessly from the original premise of 'USA - post nuke' into much unexpected territory. There's some filler episodes, but barely a bum one. What hampers the series is that odd but inevitable 'dated' feeling that almost all network dramas fail to shake, even the minute they arrive on our screens. Dramas like this just can't live up to the HBO/AMC cannon because of the demands on them to, eg: appeal to a large audience and produce 22-ish episodes per series - it can be simply backbreaking. One can't help but imagine how much better this show could have been with a studio like HBO behind it. It certainly deserves more care, with which it might have not been cancelled. Nevertheless, the fact one can imagine Jericho's greater potential is a credit to the strength of both the inventive writing, the smart political commentary and the many well-drawn characters which shine through occasional soft-focus, feel-good, pre-watershed moments of schmaltz and sentimentality. Those moments are thankfully few, but there's enough to make you wish there were less. The cast are all very capable, particularly Skeet Ulrich, Lennie James and Gerald McRaney who lend the show its gravitas. Bring it back! 4/5
40 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jericho, a refreshing step up in quality
Linda_S2 April 2008
So often I lament the passing of quality broadcast commercial television and then something new, challenging, such as Jericho shows up.

I think it is certainly timely in light of threats from without and perhaps even within our nation.

I was concerned that the 2nd season was not going to measure up as the first episode was rather shaky but it picked up and ended with a bang.

I am glad that CBS brought it back for a finale.

Casting was excellent and I am still astonished at the quality of the writing and plotting. Just so well done.
58 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best new drama of 2006
Workin_Man24 September 2006
"Jericho" is by far, the best new show of 2006. I watched the pilot episode on CBS and I was extremely impressed with it. The acting, storyline, and the whole premise of the show is fantastic! I even got teary eyed a few times through the show. That is a rare thing for me. I usually never get teary eyed during a show or a movie. However, "Jericho" is a whole different kind of show. It was actually suspenseful and even a little bit scary!

I would definitely recommend this show to fans of the drama/sci-fi genres. Actually, I would recommend it to just about anyone! If you're looking for a good time watching TV, then this is the show you should be watching. I definitely enjoyed it, and I know you will enjoy it too.
270 out of 396 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very entertaining so far
froggiefan26 October 2006
I have watched faithfully each week so far and am thoroughly enjoying the show. It is probably my third favorite right now behind Lost and Heroes. The premise of the show is fascinating and thrilling. Very unique. I was excited from the moment I saw the first preview - and so far I haven't been let down. Is it realistic? No probably not. Is is predictable? Yeah, pretty much. But it's a TV show. What TV show is 100% realistic? Viewers are meant to let go of reality and absorb themselves in the fictional world for an hour once per week. It has great character development (who is good and who is bad?). It has mystery. Romance. Action. For those who watch and then hack it to death on the boards - I say stop worrying so much about whether things would really happen that way and enjoy the weekly ride. It's been fun for me so far...
114 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Apocalytic Drama
mfvaughn27 September 2006
Having seen only two episodes, I am mildly surprised by the effectiveness of this well presented drama. A relationships-based drama, focused around the family of the Mayor (Gerald McRaney) of a small town, Jericho, thus far the acting and writing is top notch. Tense story lines have been the mark of Jericho thus far. Reminiscent of 24, Jericho is setting up well, and I look forward to the unwinding of the story of a few thousand people struggling to survive and overcome the aftermath of a multiple strike atomic holocaust coast to coast in America's metropolitan centers, leaving Jericho an island of life and hope. Of particular note is the acting of Allison Scott, the acting of Skeet Ulrich, and the understated but grounding performances of both McRaney and as his wife and the matriarch, the always fine Pamela Reed. It will be interesting to see if this strong start can be sustained, or if the storyline will wear thin. The executive production team is youthful but in combination has significant experience in film and in relationship-based TV that bodes well. In order for Jericho to survive, and it should, the tension needs to be maintained for the central family, for Jericho's attempts to survive, for the people of Jericho to maintain their humanity and their optimism, and for the outside world to impinge in a way that makes the struggle for the better parts of our human condition endure. Mighty big tasks, but my hope is that this intelligent, sensitive, and provocative program survives too.
194 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
fun show
seabeeb29 March 2008
I really found this show refreshing. Its not the greatest show ever but it was entertaining. The show gives the feel of Saturday morning serials (fast paced and leaving you with a cliff-hanger). I loved the underlying messages to our current governmental situation. I just learned that it was not to be picked up again. I can't believe CBS is cancelling the show after the response they received after it was cancelled the first time. I hope that some other network (ie. SciFi) will try to carry on the series (sort of like Battlestar Galactica) to a complete and thorough conclusion even if it doesn't fit the usual format of a least five years.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
really cool
joterri_199930 September 2006
Jericho is one of those shows that snags you by surprise...you aren't really sure why you started to watch it then before you know it your anxious about next week's show.. The 2nd episode was by far better than the first...I really want to know what exactly has Jake and the "ex cop" from St.Louis were doing prior to the mushroom cloud.. I hope CBS sees the potential in the cast and the story line and they do not drop the bomb on the show. Plus Skeet is a hottie..If someone you know has not watched the show tell them to tune in..Who care about old washed up stars dancing anyway?...Jericho is one of the best new TV shows this season. Thanks CBS ...now what is next?
150 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant series. Poor ending.
Igor Henrique10 March 2013
It's not the first time I get interested in watching something about post-apocalyptic world. The fact is, I'm always in mood to see stuff about that theme. However, despite all that, I couldn't even imagine how amazing was going to be Jericho prior to begin watching it. It's simply fantastic! The show lets you brainstorm about how to survive and find solutions after your country is hit by nuclear bombs. The plot is really suspenseful and you end up asking yourself a lot of questions: Was that growing mushroom a terrorist attack? Who has planned that? Who is that mysterious man known as Mr. Hawkins? And what about the obscure Jake Green's past?

The show is incredibly addicting and sometimes I caught myself into a non-stop Jericho marathon. You always want to watch more one episode to attempt solving every mystery. Yet, I have to admit: it is not all good. The series wasn't going to be renewed until its ardent fans claim for a second season. And it came out, although it should have never existed. OK, it's fine the fact that series has an ending, but the plot completely changes its focus at a certain point and the awful second season starts to feature a boring theme about political conspiracy in order to explain previous events. Anyway, if you don't bother to receive an advice, here it is: be sure not to miss Jericho. You wouldn't repent to spend your valuable time watching it. Trust me: It's worthy a try!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best
derka-90-99437025 June 2011
This show was the best television offered in a long time, in my opinion. I think this version of an apocalyptic scenario was more widely accepted because of it's realism. I also think that was the reason it was cancelled. When I first heard of the show I was immediately interested and watched all of the episodes in a couple of days. People just about always say it was cancelled because of ratings. I don't think so. Check the ratings yourself, Jericho's ratings were just as good as or better than Fringe and Burn Notice (I watch those). Those two are still going strong. And Jericho had way better ratings than a lot of other shows that are still on. The order was given by the big wigs in charge to axe it, so it was axed. Once yo pull your head out of the sand and do some honest research, you will find that the people who control your government and the people who control your television, movies, news, radio, etc. usually are one in the same or at least run in the same circles of powerful people. If you ever get a chance to watch it and read the subsequent season 3 comics, then do yourself a favor and do it. If you have an IQ over 75 then you will realize by the end of the first season why it was cancelled. Sorry, I really went off on a tangent there. Besides all of what I said, Jericho was really well acted, very well written, and you will be wanting more when you are finished. The Best.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant
ivison_198514 January 2007
This is the best new show I've seen in a long time and the casting is brilliant skeet ulrich would not of been my first choice for the role of Jake but the more I watch the more Skeet grows into the role and not to mention anything that could spoil the series but I cannot believe how well the idea/premise behind the show fits with modern day living the who was it how did it happen is intriguing but not only that you have to keep trying to guess who are the good guys who are the bad you'll never see a better piece of t.v with such intrigues as this one I would definitely recommend to people whom like anything lost fans for the intrigue, sci fir fans because of the plot (e.g roswell, buffy, etc), those fans of law and order or csi because of the mystery in the story, and finally those whom like the teary eyed melodramas because of the human angle.

This is definitely a show for everyone good work and keep it up.
147 out of 234 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this