IMDb > Ultimate Avengers II (2006) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Ultimate Avengers II (V) More at IMDbPro »

Very Well Done

Author: sidfargas from Australia
21 August 2006

In an age of silly anime and dumbed down cartoons, this Ultimate Avengers franchise is more then a breath of fresh air. Films like Ultimate Avengers 2 (and that's just what it is ... a full blown feature film)take the classic Marvel grandeur and add a modern twist. The action is intense and the story flows so very well. Classic Marvel characters like Iron Man, Captain America and the Black Panther (the worlds first African-American superhero) really shine in this format. My only real disappointment lies in the fact that the Hulk wasn't really used and that the Thor depicted is nothing but a watered down version of the classic Thor. Still, the other characters and the riveting story more then make up for any shortcomings. The alien threat from the first film is handled and resolved brilliantly while doing so without it being necessary for the viewer to have seen the first movie. That's a hard thing to pull off but, like the rest of the movie, they did it so very well.

Great animated movie that's well worth anyone's time and effort.

Pretty Good

Author: dylanmiles1 from United States
9 August 2006

I really liked it. However I think when you have that many characters it's probably not a good idea to introduce a new one, especially a character like the Black Panther. He's cool, he's just not that well known. I wonder if they introduced him because there might be a Black Panther movie coming up? Anyway, my main gripe with the movie is the Hulk. He's the reason why I and a lot of others watch the movies in the first place, and then after the first one they just sideline him? What kind of logic is that? The Hulk is money in the bank (green). Way way way underused/abused. Bring him back. I think the creators (who have done a great job) should look at Bruce Timm et al.'s Justice League series to handle that amount of characters and still please everyone. I think JL was done in such a way (that is, after the first season's somewhat rocky start)that the episodes played to each of the characters strengths. I don't think this has happened in the Ultimate Avengers 2. The first one was much closer to accomplishing that. Also, after the first one and waiting for the second I was disappointed with the plot, same villains, same set up. I was like, "The first movie all over again..." It obviously wasn't exactly like the first but I thought it would have played better if the creators broke from the first one altogether and started a new plot. I was disappointed with the plot in UA2. Over all, it's very good. Animation is great, action is great, voice talent great. It's great to see Captain America back the way he always should have been. I think with these creators we're in very good hands. But bring back the Hulk!!!!

Excellent

Author: legendz411 from United States
27 July 2006

This was an EXCELLENT movie. I have watched it 4 times since I have got it. Many times, in succession with the first. A very quality animation. There is no need to watch the first to enjoy this. Any average person can jump in and enjoy this.

Now, onto the spoilers.

The Blank Panther was spectacularly implemented. Everythign from his claws to the suit was awe-inspiring. The authors took some artistic liberties with it though. For instance, they made the suit transform to a liking of a panther, (in the face) when the user, (T'Challa") gets angry or emotional. Still, quite excellent.

Thor was... Godly :) Iron Man's War Machiene suit was sick. And whoever wrote his characters lines did excellent. I love some of his lines. The emotional hook of Giant Man and Wasp was not over-bearing but it was there and it did its job. You felt the attachment and, I, was a little disappointed by Gian Man's death... Touching. The authors showed a new side of Cap. Instead of being entirely self-righteous, he showed his bitter side. I thought it added more depth to the character and played off nicely. As always, the Black Widow provided the sexy sense of adult that the animation might have been lacking previously. She was the glue that help Cap and the team together, it seemed to me.

The hulk was a minor spot-light in this film, if he showed at all. But that is understandable if you have seen the previous film. Shame, he is a star hero ;-)

Overall, a GREAT movie, though I liked the first one a little better, due to some of the battles. The Hulk - Avengers battle was on of the best I've seen in the animated comic universe.

They can make a whole series of these movies

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
27 January 2007

The animation is superb! This movie is a sequel to the first Ultimate Avengers movie and maybe even a better one! They paid more attention to developing characters,but it could have been much more.Because that is what makes these superheroes special! There were nice little surprises in this movie and I don't know if this is based on actual story lines in the marvel comics. It is nice to see a mature approach of things,just like in the comics. For me "UM2" is an example of what can be achieved if they take the myths created by Marvel Comics seriously!. I can't get enough of this! Bring it on,make more of these kind of movies! Although Bruce Banner also starred in this movie,the Hulk didn't appear very long. Too bad,because it is always nice to see Hulk smash things. Next time more Hulk, or even an animated movie of Hulk!

Still Brilliant!

Author: peevedoff2 from United States
9 August 2006

Ultimate Avengers 2 picks right up where the first movie left off. Again, It's simply a brilliant rendition of Marvel's (and Earth's) Mightiest Heroes. What surprised me is the fact that this second film establishes the characters better and has substantial character development. I know that sounds strange when describing a cartoon but these characters really shine this time around.

Like with the first film, I've read different reactions and I've heard from both sides of the adaptation debate. Some serious Ultimates fans wanted this movie to be an exact reenactment of the comic book. Marvel instead made a conscious decision to infuse the old school Avengers in to the Ultimates mix. It's still a good call and a masterful decision. The combination works very well. Gone are the overblown and, quite frankly, juvenile elements of the Ultimates. Having a horny Hulk or an outrageously abusive Henry Pym may work to capture the teenage comic crowd (which is exactly why the Ultimate Universe was created) but it doesn't play with main stream audiences. The ONLY reason the Ultimates succeeded as a book is because of the incredible artwork of Bryan Hitch (which is on ample display in the Ultimates bonus featurette). The characters that made the Ultimates possible in the first place shines through. Captain America is still perfect. You can really see why Marvel is lining up to give him his own live action movie. The introduction of the Black Panther is perfect as well. Iron Man steals the show and his shift to War Machine armor will have long time fans grinning from ear to ear. My only two problems were with the treatment of Henry Pym and the lack of substantial Hulk action (Hulk does smash but not near enough) but those are just minor quibbles. Overall, this is a wonderful movie.

PS- I can't wait for the Iron Man solo movie they previewed on the DVD. The jury is still out on Dr. Strange, however.

Better and worse than the first

Author: rijotan from Philippines
8 August 2006

I just finished watching the movie (for the 2nd time in a row), and I'm planning on viewing it again. Probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

Now a lot of people are comparing it with the first movie, so here are my thoughts on the comparison:

1. Action - there was a lot more action in this movie, and the action was more brutal (panther tearing up that super alien was sweet). But the quality of the action scenes in the first movie were better. In this movie, we get to see a lot of little skirmishes which showcase the abilities of each character, but there was no major battle scene like the hulk rumble we had in the first movie. The battle between panther and capt. America vs kleus (i know its spelled wrong) could have been a lot better if there weren't so many cuts. You had the impression you were viewing a comic strip (but it was still sweet coz it was so brutal). Thor wasn't given enough action in this film... although they did showcase a lot more of his other talents (like teleportation). and thor did save the most number of lives (saved the whole avengers team, saved pym, saved ironman). but i was really wanting to see him kick butt. Hulk didn't do anything... just slammed an alien or two. So between the 2 movies, i loved the action of the 1st more.

2. Story - the 2nd movie definitely had more story. We are given a flash back of capt's story; then given a background on t'challa (black panther); then there's the subtle love stories of pym-wasp, capt-widow, banner-betty. And we're also given a sneak preview into the armory of tony...and of course the hints of thor's prodigality with his father. There maybe some who wouldn't appreciate this kind of plots in a comic book film, but we're forgetting that this is only 1 film in 8, and it is necessary to build up the stories of each character to establish them.

So, I actually liked this 2nd movie better, just for the fact that it had a thicker plot to it and could absorb you more in its story. I was just a bit disappointed with the action though... they should have added an entire 30 mins to the film just so they could give more emphasis to the fight scenes. The capt.a-panther-kleus could have been so much better and would have been the highlight of the movie. I hope the makers of this movie could read a couple of these posts, so they could do something and make the next movie a lot longer.

2 In 1 (Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2)

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
12 June 2010

ULTIMATE AVENGERS 1

The Avengers Movie Should Be Like This. I Know Its Not The Marvel Universe But They Made Captain America A Little Better (Well Anything Is Better Than The 1990 Version). Thor Is The Same. Iron Man Is A Well Done. Hulk Is Also The Same. Hank Pym Is Also Greatly Portrayed. Nick Fury Is Better Than The One In The Live Action Movies. Go Ahead Look At It.

ULTIMATE AVENGERS 2

The End Has Come For Hank Pym. This Also Introduces The Black Panther. Wow This Dualogy Is Great. I Have High Hopes For The Avengers Movie Because Its Done By Joss Whedon. Don't Say His Fan Base Is For Teenage Girls Because I'm As Far Away From A Teenage Girl As You Can Get & I Love 'Buffy', 'Angel', 'Firefly', 'Alien Resurrection' Well You Get It. Both Movies Are Awesome.

Marvel's Animated Features Improving with 2nd Installment...

Author: brando647 from Spring Hill, FL
13 October 2007

Earth's mightiest heroes are back (already!) for another home video run following the success of the previous Avengers movie. The movie seems to pick up not-too-long after the first, with the heroes separated and doing their own thing. Bruce Banner/the Incredible Hulk is locked up for the tantrum he through in the first movie. Steve Rogers/Captain America is slowly becoming a loner, preferring to work missions alone. The Pyms, Hank and Janet, are experiencing some marital problems, and Thor has completely dropped off the radar. The heroes are reunited when the Chitauri return, led by Herr Kleiser, who was thought to have been killed by Captain America near the end of World War II. This time the Chitauri have their eyes set on the isolated African nation of Wakanda, ruled by T'Challa/the Black Panther.

This is the second movie in Marvel's animated line, and they have managed to make minor improvements over the previous. Unfortunately, they haven't made any attempts to improve on the animation style at all. So, the closer you see a character, the more hiccups and stiffness you see in the animation. Of course, the action scenes still look awesome, and we get some great battles out of Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. Seeing as how the Hulk is restrained for the majority of the movie, we don't get the same raw power out of him that was exhibited in Avengers I.

The Black Panther was an excellent addition to the movie and made for an entertaining enough story. I have been interested in the Black Panther storyline since I first started reading up on him so it was nice to see him included in the latest Avengers installment. While the first movie's story was thin, this time around we are treated to more history and slightly more character development. My only major complaint with the story in Avengers II was the Chitauri...I think it's time to move on. There are plenty of villains/angry alien races out there. The only thought to cross my mind when I saw the Chitauri in this movie was: "Again?". I'm hoping that they try something fresh next time.

And, of course, its nice to see that Marvel didn't sugarcoat this movie down to a PG or G rating in an effort to appeal to the grade school crowd. They included enough action (even included a little brutality) to earn the movie a PG-13. All in all, this movie is better than the first, but not by leaps and bounds. Although, if the pattern continues, I think we can expect some real gems out of Marvel's animated line-up in the future.

better then the first one

Author: clayclay-2 from United States
19 February 2007

This second one deals with people from Africa the aliens want something that is made their. The Africans don't want the Avengers help at fighting the aliens cause their outsiders. The black is the new king over their he has the power to change their foolish laws if only he can just man up to his own people. At least Thor stud up to his father and help the humans in their fight after his father forbids it cause Thor is a true God. I hate the fact that the Hulk was not shown much in this film but i love the fact that Giant Man died cause he didn't care if Capton America died plus he was just too cocky. i'm happy to see that Iron Man has moved on to bigger better and more powerful armor. also Capton America and the black Widow has finally kissed each other in the end.

Quite good

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
30 May 2010

This follow up to the first Ultimate Avengers movie benefits from not having to incorporate origin / set up material. It leaps head first into its story, albeit the story follows on from the end of the first movie.

This time the key plot factor is that the Chitauri aliens from the first movie are after the vibranium deposit in Wakanda, which means we are introduced to T'Challa, as well as Captain America's old foe Kleiser, who turns out to be a Chitauri.

There is as much soapy stuff about the characters' problems and interactions as there is action relating to the main plot and, to be frank, I could have done without that - I like my superheroes to be heroes. But I appreciate it for what it is.

The animation is no better than Saturday morning TV animation.

But it's not bad.