IMDb > "Day Break" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Day Break"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Day Break" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

an intelligent show gets punished for being intelligent

Author: chrichtonsworld from Netherlands
24 December 2006

This show reminded me of a mix between "Groundhog Day" and "Early Edition" After the first episode I thought it was a very interesting story. But to keep a story surprising and exciting while this main character is reliving this particular day would be difficult. And after seeing the first six episodes I was sure this was a good action/drama with a very interesting story. Because you got to see different angles to stories and characters. I couldn't wait till the next episode. Yes,maybe it was a bit far fetched. Only that was part of the fun. Also I liked the idea of getting the chance to correct mistakes you made. Who doesn't want that. What really was brilliant that they showed the different paths and their outcomes,good or bad. This gave the show a very intelligent take on faith and destiny. This show made you think and keep you entertained. In my book that is called a hit. That's why I am really sad to hear that they cancelled this great show! To me it's a big mystery that they keep on broadcasting boring shows like Law and Order and Stargate where they keep repeating the same themes over and over again and killing wonderful shows like this one. Thanks for this show,you made my day. Addendum: Good news!!!! ABC put out the remaining episodes from Day Break on their Website. I have been able to watch all the episodes! The finale was great! Not going to spoil it but it has a touching ending. Do watch this show, you won't regret it.

Good show

Author: turbine2000 from US
21 December 2006

I really enjoyed DayBreak and realized early that if you didn't watch from the beginning you could get left behind. For this reason I never missed an episode. Yea! all 4 episodes :) On paper one might contend that a story line that repeats itself over and over should be easily accessible to first time viewers. In reality however the opposite was true.

The joy of watching the show was knowing the history.

I think the producers were on to the fact that drop-ins would be turned off if they thought they had missed the beginning. I say this because they had the wrong days on just about every episode. For instance every episode had more than one day but even by episode 4 the day was listed at 4 it was more like day 15.

I am sad the show was pulled, ABC promised to put the unaired episodes online but as of yet have not.

I thought Taye Diggs did a great job with the character.

I am 50-50 on whether his injuries carrying over were a good or bad idea.

I will miss the show I gave it a 10

Promising

Author: taptele from United States
20 November 2006

I found myself engrossed for the whole of the premiere episode, although I had at first been daunted by its 81 minutes.

Although the theme of the repeating day has been done before, I don't agree that this show will become repetitive. I think that there are enough threads to follow to keep it interesting for at least a whole season. The three days in the pilot were all radically different, even though the lead character, Detective Brett Hopper changed only a few decisions in the morning.

I think part of the appeal is the interaction with the audience. Because we kind of know what the story is, we urge Hopper along in the right directions to solve the mystery of his framing. Its like one of those books where you choose your own adventure and there are multiple endings.

There is also an element of the macabre. *How* is it possible that the day repeats itself over and over again? That is a meta-mystery, that lies above the obvious mystery of the murder.

All in all, I think this is an exciting new show, and I cannot wait to see how it plays out.

"Decisions... consequences"

day break appears smarter than average

Author: robert-thompson-2 from Canada
16 November 2006

I sat engrossed as the pilot episode of Day Break careened through 2 hours of network time. It definitely has an x-files stamp in the writing and the look and intensity of 24. Cast is well chosen and the concept is far out. Feel reserved about how far the content can go without being-ahem-repetitive. Lots of opportunity for new quirky cast members which I hope will be taken into account in future episodes. Don't care for the flash memory cuts, hopefully they will diminish. There are plenty of seeded clues which could go in several directions: ie,I love the scruffy homeless looking guy who pops up twice so far. Will adjust my vote to ten if the show has staying power. Nice Job!

ANew Vanguard in Television

Author: Ausir2001 from United States
3 February 2007

Perhaps one the jewels in modern TV viewing experience. Day Break has all of the elements to create a cult-like following and it is savvy. As the season (episodes) progress, Day Break exceeds it stereotype genre (Groundhog's Day, Deja Vu, Memento, The Time Machine, Pulp Fiction et al) by evolving through all of its similarities of the aforementioned action- thrillers. Essentially, Brett Hopper, played brilliantly by Taye Diggs, coalesces into all of the central heroic characters of these action dramas,thereby embodying there strengths and vulnerabilities as he attempts to manipulate his micro-environment; ultimately resulting in a dynamic varied sequences of consequential events that re-animate the plot and the rising action/conflict. There can be very convincing arguments that the dynamically evolving plot becomes worthy of an 'Odyssey' with the familiarly essential themes of LOVE, Vengefulness, Sorrow, & Hope. Day Break cannot be viewed or taken casually, as it require the viewer to pay attention to nuances and details otherwise taken completely for granted by very common-like formulaic genre driven TV shows; which in my opinion constitutes at least 85% of TV programming - exception being cable. Perhaps one of the cable networks will place 'correct' value of this brilliant show and continue to produce it into a second season. Lastly, I find that neither Americal Idol, Prison Break, or 24 could ever achieve what Day-Break has in just 13 episodes.

A great fill-in, shame ABC pulled it

Author: Jerry Kindall from Seattle, WA
25 March 2007

I thought ABC's programming strategy with Lost this year was brilliant: bunch up the first-run episodes into two batches and commission a one-shot limited series to fill in the gap. Just something that you could enjoy while Lost was on hiatus, a pleasing diversion that had a definite end. Apparently Day Break just couldn't pull the numbers ABC was looking for, though, and not all of the series aired. Fortunately, the network posted the rest of the episodes online.

It's a shame more people won't get to see this; it was good. Not by any means "the best show on television" but well worth watching. Diggs is appealing as Hopper, and the supporting actors, particularly Bloodgood and Baldwin, are solid too. The plot has enough twists and turns to keep even the most careful watcher guessing. Some of it doesn't actually make much sense -- in some episodes, Hopper is off doing things that won't actually stop some of the other bad things in his day from happening, but they somehow don't happen. (Creative license.) Still, unlike Lost, it all actually concludes neatly and satisfyingly.

This kind of show is actually the kind of thing that British television does well. Hardly any British dramas have more than 13 episodes a season, and many come to a definite end after only a season or two. (Example: The second season of Life On Mars is the last.) I think the smaller number of episodes allows for better writing -- Ron Moore of Battlestar Galactica has expressed similar concerns. (Which is probably why Season 4 of Galactica was originally slated to be 13 episodes. Sci-Fi apparently dangled enough of a carrot to get him to agree to 22, though.)

The Brits do it largely because they don't have the budget the American networks do. But I'd completely support any American network that wanted to schedule two 13-episode shows in place of a single 22-episode show. It divides neatly into the calendar year (you get to run each series twice in its entirety, so viewers can catch shows they missed the first time) and gives the viewer a new series to look forward to on a regular basis. At the same time, the network's financial commitment for each individual show is lower, so they're not betting the farm on 22 episodes of one show.

Of course, if they're not willing to do that, ABC's approach is a good compromise. I hope ABC does not let their disappointment with Day Break's ratings scare them away from repeating this scheduling gambit next year with a different show.

Excellent Show, too bad ABC has it's head up it's butt on this one

Author: ProfessorMovieMovie from Watching a Hammer Movie!
3 March 2007

Great show! Characters were interesting and well developed. The writing was above par for TV with a subject that could have come off as just another sci-fi type twist in a mundane crime series. Not so, here.

The murder mystery is interesting on its own and then throwing in the problem of the day repeating and our hero trying to clear his name, made for a very entertaining show.

Too bad, ABC did not pick up another season of this. I watched it all online at ABC.go.com. It played well there especially because you could watch the first ten episodes all in a row.

Maybe they will pick it up and make it their first show exclusively produced for the internet. I doubt it, though. Any TV executives dumb enough to toss this show, won't be smart enough to figure out that most of it's new audience found it online and then capitalize on that.

Good Luck, Mr. Diggs. I will watch anything you produce!

"Groundhog day" meets "24"

Author: pasquett from Canada
19 February 2009

A good, complex conspiracy at a steady high pace.

It's a shame, but I understand why it was taken of the air after just 6 episodes. It's simply too complex to be "mainstream easy entertainment". Too many leads and entanglements. But when that's said… it's a really good show. I actually had not expected it to be worth watching, but I just had to see what came next and how they would get out of this one. The many angles on the case are brilliant. You very often ask yourself "what would have happened if this and that". Here you actually get the answer to those questions. Well acted on all parts, doesn't make it worse that Moon Bloodgood plays the part as the girlfriend. Loved it. … but kind of hard to make a new season :-)

Great show. But how can it end?

Author: yipching
16 November 2006

I know if I like action show by my physical reaction. Does my heart rate increase? Do I get into it and yell at the characters? Usually 24 is the only thing on T.V. that incites this sort of response from me.

At first Day Break didn't interest me one way or another. It happened to be on after something else I watched (I won't admit to watching Dancing with the Stars) and I was half paying attention to it as I wrote some material for a personal project of mine. Thirty minutes into it, my laptop was skewed to the side and I was angrily yelling at the television. Pay dirt.

The plot is the usual conspiracy and corruption routine, but my interest is in seeing a likable character refine his actions each day to influence the outcome by his foreknowledge of the day's events. And their is some butt-kicking, which adds to my joy.

The major issue here is, how long can this go on? Won't we be bored seeing the same day every single episode for an entire season? Will they make us watch the same day in season 2?? Can't imagine that would fly. They could loop an entirely different day and make us repeat that during season 2, but then wouldn't the whole concept be boring? There would be no discovery on his part, no "What the heck is happening to me?" It's just be same old same old, "Oh here I go looping the day again. Sweet!" If anyone watched Quantum Leap you'd remember as Sam would encounter each scenario, he'd have a solid goal that, once achieved, would trip his leap into the next situation. What outcome is Taye Diggs required to achieve before he'll be allowed to move on to the next day? What if he does everything right and repeats anyway? It seems like a well-executed show that hasn't been thought out to its conclusion.

Sorry to see the show go

Author: farilady-1 from United States
6 April 2009

I truly enjoyed this show... I just watch what I just found out to be the last show and I am very disappointed. It was one of the highlights of my week, getting to watch Day Break... I loved the show and am sorry to see its over.

Especially since there are still so many unanswered questions about what was going on.. What about the ex-husband, the crazy guy and the attorney.. There is still so many ways to keep this show going.

Why is it they always pull the good shows and leave the rest of the junk on? It would be awesome to see another season come on this year.... I know I would be watching every week.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]