IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 75: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

OK, but they could do more with this

Author: barbagvido from Zadar, Croatia
28 June 2016

Thor is the fourth MCU movie, coming after Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. It's about gods, so you would think this would be incredibly epic, but it's not really. The story doesn't feel big at all and barely affects anything, so it feels like it only exists to introduce us to the character.

It's not bad, it's enjoyable, it's entertaining, well shot, visually pretty impressive, pretty funny at times and they nailed the casting once again. Chris Hemsworth is a perfect choice for Thor just like Robert Downey Jr. for Iron Man. But the one who really stole the show for me is Tom Hiddleston as his brother Loki. He is the best villain MCU ever had so far and I think it will remain that way. He fits the role perfectly and he also seems to have a lot of fun playing it. Kenneth Branagh is the director this time and this is probably one of the most well directed MCU movies. Also, visually the movie is beautiful, one of the best looking MCU movies.

So, what went wrong? Once again, I'm saying the movie is pretty okay, but this isn't supposed to be just okay. I think they could have done a lot more with the story. It has a good character arc and everything, but it just doesn't feel big. Even tho there were some emotional parts, it still just doesn't help. It remains just kinda okay, but nothing more. And there should have been more.

This way it feels like this movie's only purpose is to introduce us to some new characters and it shouldn't be that way. And while the movie is well done and everything, it's just not as good as it can be.

Another Enjoyable Marvel Film

Author: Grant Bullert from Minnesota, USA
27 May 2016

Same formula as always, our hero finds himself in a predicament, he battles to get out of it, and there is a chance of evil still looming in the end. Nothing different about this movie, but it is still good. It was fun to experience the point of view of someone who is not from earth. Thor is one of the more interesting and fun Avengers in my opinion.

I thought Natalie Portman did very well in this film. There are some films where she seems weak in. I liked her character a lot, and Thor is very likable. Chris Hemsworth plays him perfectly. There is a humorous side to the film, which is great. This is one of the Marvel films that by the end had me asking for more.

Pride comes before a fall

Author: Tyson14 from United Kingdom
6 May 2016

After Marvel Studios had great success in bringing Iron Man, a character perceived to be only popular in the comics, to the big screen, they began working on other solo hero projects with the overall aim to produce The Avengers; the first time a movie would be made using multiple characters from individual movies to share one universe

Thor is another one of Marvel's lesser-known characters outside the comic-books, compared to the likes of Spider-Man and Wolverine. Based loosely on the Norse legends, which are referenced in the movie as being inspired by the fictional Asgardian race, which is a nice bit of confusing 'chicken and the egg' theorem. Thor lives in Asgard with his father, Odin and brother, Loki, and acts as protectors of the nine realms across more insidious races such as the Frost Giants, but when the fragile truce between the Asgardians and Frost Giants of Jotunheim is threatened by Thor's strong-minded techniques, the Asgardian prince is banished to Midgard, better known to me and you as Earth.

I was unsure whether I would like the Norse mythology aspects to the story, but the film manages to make it seem convincing by portraying the Asgardians as otherworldly gods that inhabit another 'realm' as opposed to being spiritual. The mixture of magic and technology that is showcased in the frankly stunning CGI city of Asgard helps us identify with the characters and grounds them nicely into our world, explaining that the more primitive humans in the past had to explain their technology away as being Gods, which created our myths and legends.

The action scenes were very entertaining, and there was a healthy sense of humour to the proceedings too, which made the film very enjoyable. The 'fish out of water' scenes with Thor on Earth were handled well, but it was the sequences on Asgard that were the most visually and dramatically stunning. While I understand that the film needed to be set on Earth to both help the audience identify with the storyline, and secondly set up the forthcoming Avengers film, I do wish there had been more sequences in the fantastical Asgardian worlds. Perhaps a sequel would explore this area more, since it is something seldom shown in comic-book movies, which are so determined to set things in 'our universe'.

The cast is really strong, with great performances from Chris Hemsworth (Thor) who manages to start the film as brash and impatient, but evolves into a charming and thoughtful character. I also liked the calculating and sly Loki, played by Tom Middleston, who is so subtle in his performance that those watching the film unaware of the characters histories would not expect him to change allegiances throughout the movie. He also plays Loki much more complicated than I would have expected.

As a relatively novice to Thor (but not to comics), I really enjoyed this and found that it didn't require any prior knowledge from the comics, as it explained all of the characters well, and their relationship with each other. The robotic villain known as The Destroyer was actually quite threatening, despite looking too similar to Iron Man (something that is poked fun at in the dialogue, when The Destroyer first appears) and the Ice Giants didn't look quite as visually interesting as they could have been, so for any sequels, I would appreciate more varied designs for the enemies drawing on the fantastical elements of Thor's mythology once more.

More or Less

Author: Miguel Neto
30 April 2016

The expectation for the movie Thor was great unfortunately the Norse God had no adaptation that deserved more fortunately the film is not bad, Thor is promising in the first 30 minutes which show Asgard with a beautiful view and some very exciting battles unfortunately the film falls other rhythm, romance Thor with Jane is very shallow , the film tries to go pro humor side even has some funny moments , the role of Chris Hemsworth as Thor is convincing , Natalie Portman is well even your character not be so interesting, the last few minutes of the film are even good , but now let's talk about Tom Hiddlestom as Loki is great and for the first time we see a good use villain , the movie special effects are good , Thor did not surpass the expectations of the fan more not enough to be a bad movie. Note 6.5

It's crap, but I like it.

Author: bram_knapen from Eindhoven, The Netherlands
26 April 2016

There are plenty of things wrong with this film, like there are with practically all of the marvel films.I don't like films that lean to heavily on special effects for instance, Thor does. I like a bit of plot and character development in my films, Thor has neither. Although, to be fair. Thor does turn from an arrogant prick into a nice helpful fellow in something like three minutes flat, if that's not character development I don't know what is. To continue: the fights are bonkers, events happen for little apparent reason, Blacks and Asians apparently can be Norse Gods (I don't mean to come across as a racist but I studied Norse mythology for a bit and there are no Blacks or Asians in it) and the one-liners are so cheesy you could catch mice with them.

All in all this film is full of things I hate (not that I hate blacks or Asians, really I don't) but I like it. The acting is solid, the overly-prevalent CGI does look good and the fact that there is no character development to worry about does mean there's plenty of action to keep you entertained.

In a sense films are similar to food. Sometimes you want to go all-out and have a fancy three-course meal at a high-end restaurant and sometimes you just want to have a kebab-roll with unnaturally orange gob leaking out the sides and garlic sauce dripping down your fingers. Thor is like the kebab-roll, it's not intellectual, high-brow or in any way intelligent, but it's likable in the right circumstances, just leave it for a day when you need some light entertainment.

The MCU spreads its cosmic wings.

Author: Taggard Andrews from Rochester, NY, USA
16 April 2016

(Full disclosure - Thor was my favorite comic/hero as a kid, so this may get rated higher as a result...or maybe I just think this movie is better than everyone else.)

The good - Very strong (and fun) supporting cast. Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgård outshine Natalie Portman on Earth, and Jamie Alexander as Sif, with her warriors three, kick ass in Asgard. Throw in Clark Gregg, Jeremy Renner and Idris Elba and you have the deepest (in quality and quantity) of any cast so far in the MCU. Yet, (with the possible exception of the warriors three) I felt they were more than just one dimensional characters.

The great - The relationship between Loki and Thor was bang on perfect. I also bought Loki's transition from mischief maker to truly evil. I also bought Thor's transition...his moment at the hammer was powerful. Hemsworth's Thor and Hiddleston's Loki are perfect for me, Loki being the harder role to pull off.

The only so-so - As hot as Natalie Portman is, has she ever been able to pull off any on- screen chemistry with her co-stars (Black Swan excluded...hubba hubba)? I half wanted Thor to end up with Darcy!

Summary - I really like this movie. It's subject matter is a bit freaky, so it is never going to have the impact of something like Iron Man's redemption story, but it is a fun romp. The movie is very funny at times (with some wonderful physical comedy from Hemsworth) and I found parts of it moving. I haven't watched this one for a while (half fearing it wouldn't live up to my original affection), but it is a movie I could see myself returning to again.

A step up for the MCU

Author: michael-3204 from Portland, OR
5 February 2016

It would have been easy for the fourth entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to collapse in a heap of silliness: the elaborate costumes; the extravagant playland that is Asgard (which somewhat resembles the Emerald City); the complicated retelling of Norse mythology. You need actors with the weight and seriousness of Anthony Hopkins and Idris Elba just to bring off the headgear. But this film has everything it needs to hold itself up and extra to boot. Rene Russo, for example, doesn't have nearly enough to do as Thor's mother. Director Kenneth Branagh and his small army of screenplay and story writers structure this as a basic hero's journey, mining culture and legend for little tropes that fit nicely. Thor's gang-of-five recall Robin Hood's Merry Men, except that here one is Jamie Alexander as the fiercely capable Lady Sith. Resonances with some of Shakespeare's history plays are interwoven without being too pointed. Unlike with Marvel's previous two entries, here the characters who remind everyone that "The Avengers" is coming aren't distractingly shoehorned in. Mostly, no one forgets to have fun with all this, especially not Chris Hemsworth in the deceptively simple title role. Not only does he look every bit the Man-God he's supposed to be, he hits all the emotional marks the story throws his way with the right mix of humor, arrogance and sincerity, and plays well off the other actors. The film's secret weapon is Tom Hiddleston's Loki, easily Marvel's best villain to date, who connives and deceives with the wit and aplomb you'd expect from a legendary trickster. Hiddleston manages the complicated feat of making Loki both fun to watch and someone to be wary of because of his unpredictability. "Thor" doesn't quite reach "Iron Man"'s heights, but it is a good return to form after two lackluster MCU entries.

review

Author: vohnrocks from United States
21 August 2015

So I gave Thor a try hearing that it was good. First, let me say that I am a big Natalie Portman fan so I definitely went into this with a bit of a bias. The movie opens up with a "comet" striking the earth as Portman and her crew investigate its origin.

This is when we are lead to the mythology that is Thor: Thor is a story about two different planets at war one with one another. When the king of the planet, Anthony Hopkins won the war, he temporarily blocked the other planet from being able to enter into the first planet.

He has two children, one of them being Thor. Now we come to know that Thor is very hot headed and is always in need to fight. This lead to the ordination of Thor, which was interrupted by an infiltration by Froze. Thor, in his anger, decides to go against his father and convinced his brother along with his four soldiers to go to Froze planet and destroy them all.

After destroying an army of froze and going back to their own planet, Thor is met by his own father, who in his anger due to the fact that Thor has possibly cause a future war, cast Thor, along with his powerful hammer, into earth where he loses all his power.

Her, Thor meets Natalie who is in search of a new galaxy system and finds Thor to be part of her future discovery. She and her sister decides to help Thor, despite their undeniable confusion towards his actions and behaviors. As the story progresses, you see Natalie and Thor increasingly being attracted to one another.

To his dismay, Thor realizes that he no longer has power to weird the hammer.

During these incidents, his brother found out his true origin as a froze and now plans to overthrow his father to become king. Subsequently, he is reunited with his four fellow soldiers as they fend off the robot sent by their "new king/brother" who overtook the throne with force. After regaining his power, Thor decides to travel back to his planet to confront his brother. Now let me beginning with one of the strongest points of the movie: Cinematographer. From the get go you see that the director has an eye for iconic scenes, from the settings of Thor's planet to the contrast he makes between earth and Thor's planet. There were one particular scene that highlights Thor's power with his Hammer that is reminiscent of Peter Jackson's helms deep sequence. The director's use of galactic and astronomical imagery improves the movie's grandeur and epic quality. Backdrops of Thor's planet are nothing sort of breathtaking and reminds you of Lucas' Galactic sequences.

Now, I'm a big believer in that if the special effects does not enhance the story, it should not be used. And to that I think the director did a good job, I felt as if every sequence involving the special effects were used for character development and storytelling purposes as opposed to it be just a show up, which many big budget blockbuster tends to utilize now a days. For example, the action sequences during Froze planet was a foundation for one of the biggest plot points of the movie as it precedes Thor's excommunication. It also serves to give the audience a sense of Thor's tremendous power with his hammer. I find the storytelling aspect of this movie extremely engaging, The parallel story lines between Thor's planets and that of earth adds to the complexity of Thor's character. It highlight's Thor's humanity as he loses his near invincible power. I think Christ hems worth did a great job with Thor, from his bulky, Viking-is behavior, He is able to portray a character that seems fish out of the water most of the time, yet is still humane enough for the audience to care about. there are sequences when he bulks around, or ask for a horse at a pet store, that evoke both hilarity and innocence and becomes great contrasting sequences between Thor' then versus Thor on present day earth. I think Natalie port man plays an impeccable role as the astronomer. She truly cares about what she does and you see how upset she gets when her work is questioned. Her work takes priority and the sense of urgency she has towards it's significance gives her character the appropriate intensity when alongside with Thor. There is a scene where her and Thor got intimate that highlights the thorough character development that adds a much needed human touch to the galactic nature of the film.

Overall, I think along with the cinematographer, the story telling aspect of this movie is what makes it for me. The myth of Thor is fleshed out in the beginning of the movie that adds to the intense conflicts Thor eventually faces on earth. Throughout the various sequences, the Thor myth becomes more and more believable as the characters begin to show their strengths and weaknesses and who they are in the context of both their planet and their presence on earth. The hammer also plays an important part in establishing Thor's tremendous power.

Thor is a pretty good superhero film

Author: GizmovstheSeaMonster
5 August 2015

Thor is the fourth film in the MCU and when I heard about Marvel making this movie I was skeptical since well, Thor doesn't exactly have the best stories or villains in the comics (Besides Ragnarok and Loki), But Thor is actually a pretty good movie Kenneth Branagh directs the film well and Chris Hemsworth is perfect as Thor, Tom Hiddleston is good as Loki but he gets a lot better in The Avengers, Natalie Portman's character Jane is OK but not very interesting and her sidekick is kind of annoying but the story is well done with Thor having to get used to earth and they get some pretty funny comedy out of that, the final battle with the robot Destroyer is alright but not too unique or anything, the Asgard part of the movie is actually the best part but that is only the first 30 minutes or so, overall I think Thor is not the best MCU film but it's still well directed and acted film and it's definitely worth watching 7/10

Hammered.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
4 June 2015

Thor (2011): Dir: Kenneth Branaugh / Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard: Impressive adaptation of the classic Marvel comic book superhero. Thor is famous for his hammer weapon, which sustains certain power. His father led the war that defeated the Frost Giants. He has two sons, one being Thor whom is about to be crown King, and the other is Loki who is jealous. Kenneth Branaugh seems a strange choice to direct this material but he pulls it off with breathtaking visual effects of skyscrapers of gold and silver. He previously brought Hamlet new life. Chris Hemsworth brings out the youthful nature of Thor. As the film opens he hurls to Earth after being banished for leading retaliation against the Frost Giants. He is discovered by three science researchers where he is under watch and struggles to adapt since his powers are gone. His hammer is embedded in the desert and nobody can free it. Anthony Hopkins plays Odin, his father who has conquered yet demonstrates authority when he is tricked to banish Thor. He will be reduced too a heart attack until contrivance prevails. Tom Hiddleston as Loki is a worthy villain who betrays his people. This will all be settled with the standard corny violent showdown. Natalie Portman as the researcher who discovers Thor is reduced to useless romantic clichés unworthy of her talent especially after winning an Academy Award for a superior role. While it doesn't always work, the adaptation is fun and sometimes amusing swinging more than just a hammer. Score: 7 ½ / 10