IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 75: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A well made superhero movie

Author: Ross622 from United States
2 April 2017

Kenneth Branagh's "Thor" is one of the best movies that MARVEL comics has ever made along with he other franchises that they have done and practically strikes the right chords every time, and is directed by a man who at the time was very inexperienced with making these types of movies. The movie stars Chris Hemsworth who is perfectly cast as Thor (who also happens to be my second favorite hero in the MARVEL universe) who is the Norse god of thunder, and lives in a realm known as Asgard. Thor is also a man who believes in doing the right thing but sometimes he also lets his morals get to his head a little too often. Thor's father is a god the vikings would pray to named Odin (Anthony Hopkins) who is married to Frigga (Rene Russo), and they only have another child who is very similar to Joaquin Phoenix's Commodus in "Gladiator" (2000) and is obsessed with ruling Asgard, who happens to be Thor's brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) who is the god of mischief. Later as the film progresses we see Thor get exiled from Asgard for talking disrespectfully to his father and he sees himself on earth and then goes on a rampage and is then taken in by SHIELD agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) for questioning. After the interrogation is over he meets a young woman named Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who is with her family just so that they can get to know who Thor is, and during that time his personality changes from being less arrogant to being a lot more caring towards humans who he previously felt were inferior to him. The visual effects in this movie were breathtaking to see and not only is Hemsworth perfectly cast but Hopkins is as well and deliver fine performances, along with Portman, Russo, and Hiddleston, but as well as Idris Elba as Heimdall, and Stellan Skarsgard as a teacher. But however even though the movie is very good the only thing that prevents it from being great is a routinely frequent problem with MARVEL movies is that some times they really don't get the costumes right which is the case with Thor's costume even though they nailed most of it they just forgot his winged helmet even though this isn't really a major problem for me. Even though this isn't a perfect superhero movie it is one of the best movies that MARVEL and their creator Stan Lee have ever come up with and is one of the best superhero movies of 2011 and of this decade.

He be worthy

Author: pyrocitor from Ontario, Canada
3 January 2017

By Odin's beard! Verily, yon mighty picture house of Marvel doth demonstrate the courage of a warrior battling a rampaging Bilgesnipe to tell the tale of Thor. Metal men and monsters of medicine? Aye, but ye literal Gods of Olde, told with nary a snicker? Forsooth! But hark - they who doth dare to scorn know not the Lord Kenneth of Branagh, whose soothsaying doth be as pure as his heart. He approacheth the lore of Asgard with the eloquence of yon Bard of Olde, but addeth the slow-motion and explosions of yon Michael Bay. Zounds. And lo - though it be the first foray into fantasy outright for yon kingdom of Marvel, Thor abideth the test of time - robust, clear-headed, and, verily, as fun as it be mighty.

Too ridiculous an opening paragraph for you? Thankfully, Marvel and Branagh are, quite wisely, on your side. Here, the Thor comic's characteristic Stan Lee swipes at 'Olde Englishe' are as absent as his feathery helmet (that is to say, restricted to cameo status). Branagh is cognizant of this potential for silliness, and works hard to carve out familiar, safe ground, opening with a contextual prologue that leans on Lord of the Rings tropes so extensively, it's almost a shock not to see Cate Blanchett pop up.* Still, Branagh proves as adept at blockbuster filmmaking as he is at gilding classical wordplay, and, after a few cliché-courting opening moments in the (cool but fairly wobbly CGI) realm of Asgard, it only takes moments to be swept up in Thor's brisk pacing, crisp action interludes (excessive slow-mo notwithstanding), and ready levity, all skepticism receding to a dull ebb.

Instead, Marvel's challenge of selling Norse mythology as hip, blockbuster entertainment provides a intriguing opportunity to repackage the rote, superhero 'learning powers/coming of age' tropes as something altogether more mature. Unlike the average hero, the arrogant Thor begins his titular film at peak power, and the film's biggest action blowout is in its first act, where he lets loose with all the thrilling, trailer-stinger hammer-'n-lightning blowout moments against an army of frost giants in the tundra wastelands of Jotunheim. Soon afterwards, however, we're grounded in New Mexico, where our fish-out-of-water deity is, begrudgingly, forced to learn humility through nonviolent valour. Here, Branagh slows down to a crawl, with more talk of astrophysics, governmental investigations/Avengers world-building (including a happily extensive hangout with Clark Gregg's adorably deadpan Agent Coulson), and the comedic schtick of Kat Dennings (who is just funny enough to not feel flagrantly out of place) than punching and kicking. In his downtime, he stokes a romantic subplot, with flirtations housed in constellations, conflating science and magic, and pop tarts. No one could ever accuse Thor of being unambitious.

If the initial premise itself heralded perilous camp potential, this forced juxtaposition is doubly so. Thankfully, Branagh meets the silliness head on with a cheerful twinkle in his eye. Ample amounts of Thor's gregarious, out-of-place posturing ("I need a horse!" and "This drink - I like it. Another!" can face off for the film's biggest laugh) and physical slapstick help take the sting out of the Asgardian brooding, while keeping the film accessible and fun. This, in turn, carves out breathing room for Branagh's Shakespearian credentials to work their magic on the larger-than-life melodrama, helping terse, booming confrontation scenes between a golden bondage pirate and a Gothic teenager with ibex horns breathe as surprisingly natural, sombre and resonant, without hammering it home (ha). Amazingly, before you can shake a sceptre, it's all coalesced in a din of flamboyant opposites that (somehow) achieve thrilling counterpoint, woven together by the strains of Patrick Doyle's handsomely heroic musical score. By the time we're swept away to climactic battles with a gigantic Day the Earth Stood Still robot and a god vs. god beatdown on a CGI rainbow bridge (keep your Mario Kart jokes to yourself), we, like Thor, feel we've earned the catharsis of the CGI-bloated action, and are too invested not to cheer in the face of the raw jubilance of it all.

Still, Branagh's careful balancing act would be nothing without the exceptional casting of Chris Hemsworth as the titular god of thunder. Bringing an impeccable comedic timing, and boisterous charisma as colossal as his dazzling physique, Hemsworth commits to his performance with such enormous, brazenly sincerity that his fall from grace and reclamation of honour are somehow as primally resonant and compelling as any high melodrama. Similarly, Tom Hiddleston attacks the inherent underdog pathos of Thor's seedy sibling Loki with such ferocious nuance and presence that he's nearly as commanding, sympathetic, and beguiling as his titular brother, even in the midst of committing unspeakably despicable villainy. Natalie Portman may struggle to fish comparable depth out of her quirky love interest/dubious astrophysicist, but she's neurotically adorable enough to make her rushed romance with Hemsworth surprisingly sweet. Anthony Hopkins lends Odin the requisite thunderous gravitas while largely resisting the expected sleepiness and impulse to phone it in, while Stellan Skarsgård is unreasonably entertaining as the resident 'straight-man scientist,' fishing perennial incredulous humour out of the chaos with practiced ease. Finally, Rene Russo, Jaimie Alexander, Ray Stevenson, Josh Dallas, and (especially) Idris Elba all find their moments to lend humour and class as fellow Asgardians, despite functioning more as endearing action figures than fleshed-out characters.

Despite, on paper, sounding like the superhero genre's most absurd entry, Thor excels as one of its most straightforward, breezy, deceptively intimate and character-driven, and invigoratingly enjoyable. We've believed a man can fly; now we can believe a god can fall, and capture our hearts all the while. In the words of Odin, Thor is worthy.

-8.5/10

*Or apparently she's just been biding her time for six years. Stay tuned for Ragnarok!

I didn't really know what to think going in, it was a good surprise

Author: David Brailsford from United States
11 November 2016

I watched the first two movies in the MCU so I wanted to be ready by watching this one as well. I wasn't as aware of the character as I was of hulk (wasn't exactly knowledgeable about Iron Man either before that movie but I knew enough about him, Thor I knew he was based on a Norse god, that was about it). After finally seeing I have to say this was a good movie. It spent more time developing the villain then the previous 2 movies (which was important given the significance of the character in coming films). The actors were all at their best (everyone had a likable personality good guy or bad guy) The movie featured good fights... some awesome visual, like- able characters and a good set up for the Avengers movies (Iron Man was OK, The Incredible Hulk... Meh...). That said it stands on it's own as a good watch and essential to watch if you're serious about watching all the MCU films.

Thor brought to the big screen

Author: kmtwalsh from United Kingdom
22 July 2016

Thor carries on the marvel torch that had seen the Hulk films and Iron Man come before it.

I will admit I do like the Marvel characters but find myself struggling with the science incorporated into the stories and find that it can go over my head, I focus more on the characters development in the films.

The simple plot line without the science is Thor, son of Odin is cast out of Asgard for endangering it by nearly causing a war with their enemy the Frost Giants. As a result, his father takes his power away and sends him to earth. Thor ends up in New Mexico where he crashes into Dr Jane Foster, an astrophysicist played by Natalie Portman, her mentor Erik Selvig played by Stellan skarsgard and assistant Darcy. Thor struggles to deal with his mortality but through his interactions with his new friends he becomes a better person and less arrogant.

Chris Hemsworth rocks as Thor, I haven't seen the comics but he just fits what you expect a son of Odin to look like. I think it is one of the harder roles to play as he does start off as a very arrogant ass and could have been dislikeable but Chris is so likable that you find yourself overlooking his negative traits and I enjoyed seeing him change into a more humble character that realises he hasn't got all the answers but still tries anyway.

Tom Hiddleston plays another complex character in the film that if it had been played by a different actor could have been a dislikeable character. Loki is not a one dimensional villain and although he is a villain, he can be engaging as he does have have qualities that make him not as bad as he seems at times.

Natalie Portman was alright as Jane Foster but I don't think the role was that interesting. Anthony Hospkins as usual commands the screen.

I enjoyed the film very much particularly the early scenes when he lands on Earth are very funny such as him getting tasered by Darcy and the hospital scene. Other standouts for me is the unpredictable nature of Loki when you expect him to go one way and he goes in a totally different direction and the battle between Loki and Thor at the end of the film.

I was surprised that Kenneth Branagh, Shakespearean actor and director directed the film but as you watch the film you can see that he enjoys the subject matter and understands the characters. He was the right person to take the story to the big screen.

More or Less

Author: Miguel Neto
30 April 2016

The expectation for the movie Thor was great unfortunately the Norse God had no adaptation that deserved more fortunately the film is not bad, Thor is promising in the first 30 minutes which show Asgard with a beautiful view and some very exciting battles unfortunately the film falls other rhythm, romance Thor with Jane is very shallow , the film tries to go pro humor side even has some funny moments , the role of Chris Hemsworth as Thor is convincing , Natalie Portman is well even your character not be so interesting, the last few minutes of the film are even good , but now let's talk about Tom Hiddlestom as Loki is great and for the first time we see a good use villain , the movie special effects are good , Thor did not surpass the expectations of the fan more not enough to be a bad movie. Note 6.5

The MCU spreads its cosmic wings.

Author: Taggard Andrews from Rochester, NY, USA
16 April 2016

(Full disclosure - Thor was my favorite comic/hero as a kid, so this may get rated higher as a result...or maybe I just think this movie is better than everyone else.)

The good - Very strong (and fun) supporting cast. Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgård outshine Natalie Portman on Earth, and Jamie Alexander as Sif, with her warriors three, kick ass in Asgard. Throw in Clark Gregg, Jeremy Renner and Idris Elba and you have the deepest (in quality and quantity) of any cast so far in the MCU. Yet, (with the possible exception of the warriors three) I felt they were more than just one dimensional characters.

The great - The relationship between Loki and Thor was bang on perfect. I also bought Loki's transition from mischief maker to truly evil. I also bought Thor's transition...his moment at the hammer was powerful. Hemsworth's Thor and Hiddleston's Loki are perfect for me, Loki being the harder role to pull off.

The only so-so - As hot as Natalie Portman is, has she ever been able to pull off any on- screen chemistry with her co-stars (Black Swan excluded...hubba hubba)? I half wanted Thor to end up with Darcy!

Summary - I really like this movie. It's subject matter is a bit freaky, so it is never going to have the impact of something like Iron Man's redemption story, but it is a fun romp. The movie is very funny at times (with some wonderful physical comedy from Hemsworth) and I found parts of it moving. I haven't watched this one for a while (half fearing it wouldn't live up to my original affection), but it is a movie I could see myself returning to again.

Hammered.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
4 June 2015

Thor (2011): Dir: Kenneth Branaugh / Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard: Impressive adaptation of the classic Marvel comic book superhero. Thor is famous for his hammer weapon, which sustains certain power. His father led the war that defeated the Frost Giants. He has two sons, one being Thor whom is about to be crown King, and the other is Loki who is jealous. Kenneth Branaugh seems a strange choice to direct this material but he pulls it off with breathtaking visual effects of skyscrapers of gold and silver. He previously brought Hamlet new life. Chris Hemsworth brings out the youthful nature of Thor. As the film opens he hurls to Earth after being banished for leading retaliation against the Frost Giants. He is discovered by three science researchers where he is under watch and struggles to adapt since his powers are gone. His hammer is embedded in the desert and nobody can free it. Anthony Hopkins plays Odin, his father who has conquered yet demonstrates authority when he is tricked to banish Thor. He will be reduced too a heart attack until contrivance prevails. Tom Hiddleston as Loki is a worthy villain who betrays his people. This will all be settled with the standard corny violent showdown. Natalie Portman as the researcher who discovers Thor is reduced to useless romantic clichés unworthy of her talent especially after winning an Academy Award for a superior role. While it doesn't always work, the adaptation is fun and sometimes amusing swinging more than just a hammer. Score: 7 ½ / 10

A thunderous time at the movies!

Author: John Rivet from Canada
27 April 2015

Thor is the fourth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and is directed by Kenneth Branagh, who seems to have a keen eye for amazing visuals. in this film, Thor is cast out of Asgard to live with the humans because he is arrogant and must learn how to be a worth god but he soon becomes earth's mightiest defender. There isn't much plot to Thor other than the basics but Marvel never made overly complicated plots, Marvel however makes great superhero films and there's no reason why to change something that works.

Branagh's direction in Thor take on a Shakespearean feel and it works because Thor is the type of movie that is an epic, Branagh has also done this before. For the most part the visuals of Thor work but at times they seem a little cartoony, there were times during the movie where the CGI was noticeable and it took me out of the film and felt a little too much like a fictional story that could never happen. This is the biggest downfall with the movie and unfortunately takes a little bit away from what is otherwise a great film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it's not a huge problem but it should've been fixed before the final product was released. Branagh has crafted a very beautiful looking film that almost looks like a fairy tale, this isn't a bad thing as it actually works in the movie's favour.

The action in the film is exactly what you'd expect from a Marvel Studios film, it works but it's nothing that's Oscar worthy. Chris Hemsworth delivers a terrific performance as the title character and makes you believe that is a god, though he does a few things that could be considered dumb for who is supposed to be a god. With this kind of film, it might be best to chuck your brain at the door because it's not exactly the smartest but instead opts for a time at the movies and it delivers on that promise. Tom Hiddleston as Thor's brother Loki who turns in a great performance that is slightly even better than Hemsworth's, though they both are great actors in this film. Hiddleston owns this role and was born to play Loki, he's never over the top and unbelievable but still he manages to have a lot of fun with what otherwise could've been a one dimensional role. Natalie Portman plays Thor's love interest in this and is underdeveloped as a character and she's only really there to help Thor and be some of love interest for him, her character isn't bad per say but she's not exactly all that great either. This isn't to be blamed on Portman because does the best she could do with the role, her character could've just used a bit more work.

The action sequences are well filmed and never are they over the top or a bit much, they hit the right balance and are some of the best action sequences in any Marvel Studio's film. Branagh shows confidence with the action but never does he take it to far, he walks a fine between fun and over the top.

Thor is a great film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and should be on everyone's must watch comic book movie list.

Would have been a good movie if it was longer and had no romance.

Author: user-196-766417
2 January 2015

'Thor', in short, is a decent film that has both pros and cons. I enjoyed it immensely. It had an interesting plot, good pacing, a reasonable amount of action, great actors, and decently written characters. There were, however, two major letdowns: unnecessary, forced, heterosexual romance and rushed character development.

Pros first.

The plot was original and interesting. Thor's arrogance and destructive tendencies get him banished and he has to mature so he can wield Mjolnir again and return to Asgard. This is beautifully interwoven with Loki's secret plots and schemes to rule Asgard and win the favour of his parents. Loki's progression from protagonist to villain is incredibly fascinating, and his realistic motivations and charming exterior make him a memorable one.

Marvel, as always, has great casting directors and Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston played Thor and Loki (respectively) wonderfully. People have joked that 'Marvel grows its actors on trees' and I think this can be applied to 'Thor', in which Hemsworth and Hiddleston portray the brothers' chemistry and rivalry perfectly.

The visuals are beautiful as well. The realm of Asgard is majestic and glorious. The rainbow of the Bifrost and the stars are all displayed to enhance its beauty. Not many films these days have beauty for the sake of beauty, but Thor is one of them. All of this is backed up by a great soundtrack from composer Patrick Doyle, who manages to capture the grandiose nature of Asgard, as well as the intimate emotions of the characters.

Cons now.

'Thor', like so many other films, contains the cliché of unnecessary heterosexual romance. The chemistry between Thor and Jane is incredibly forced and irritating, and seems to be no more a superficial infatuation. Their awkward exchanges left me cringing with secondhand embarrassment. Jane is reduced to a love interest and a plot device for Thor's character development, the unfortunate fate of so many female characters these days.

Thor's development from bullheaded, arrogant idiot to sensible, intelligent hero is too rushed. Played out only over two days, Thor's sudden desire to sacrifice himself for his new-found friends earns him the right to wield Mjolnir again. This is obviously too sudden, and perhaps another half-hour of screen time would have done this film good. Also, self-sacrifice is by no means a determination of maturity and/or humility, so Thor's immediate refusal to destroy the Frost Giants afterwards seems rather stretched and implausible.

Sadly, the cons are both major plot points of the story and have reduced an otherwise good film to a 6/10.

Thor a good movie

Author: yashrajs536 from India
18 December 2014

When I watched the movie I was really happy by it its story acting action and by direction I am lucky that I watched this movie in theatre.

It is true that the 3D effects were not up to the expectations but except it all was good this movie was not awesome or great but good at its place.

Basically I not watch the god-kingdom type movies but surprised by this one the VFX work was also good at its place the team had worked good on this flick.

Really I will watch its sequel if it comes in future waiting for it to come I had not expectation firstly from it but after watching it I was satisfied that Thor can also be a superhero.