IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 75: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

I didn't really know what to think going in, it was a good surprise

Author: David Brailsford from United States
11 November 2016

I watched the first two movies in the MCU so I wanted to be ready by watching this one as well. I wasn't as aware of the character as I was of hulk (wasn't exactly knowledgeable about Iron Man either before that movie but I knew enough about him, Thor I knew he was based on a Norse god, that was about it). After finally seeing I have to say this was a good movie. It spent more time developing the villain then the previous 2 movies (which was important given the significance of the character in coming films). The actors were all at their best (everyone had a likable personality good guy or bad guy) The movie featured good fights... some awesome visual, like- able characters and a good set up for the Avengers movies (Iron Man was OK, The Incredible Hulk... Meh...). That said it stands on it's own as a good watch and essential to watch if you're serious about watching all the MCU films.

Marvel's Weakest Film but it's not all that bad..

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
4 November 2016

The powerful but arrogant god Thor is cast out of Asgard to live amongst humans in Midgard (Earth), where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders. Thor packs an all star cast of great talented actors such as Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Ray Stevenson, Jaimie Alexander, Rene Russo and Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson and they all did an incredible job unfortunately the film suffers from poor choice of humor like 3 sequences of Thor getting hit by a van and even him making a face in order to make kids laugh, the cgi at times was pretty mediocre and the villains were easily forgettable especially the Frost Giants the movie also has some of the most quick fight sequences in any Marvel ever for example Thor v.s Destroyer and Thor v.s Loki was pretty quick and very forgettable as a film it packs a really good cast and the characters are all interesting but director Kenneth Branagh doesn't seem to understand the Marvel Formula that well both the comedy and the action fells short and the pacing is a killer it's not one of the worst Marvel Movies or Superhero Movies of all time but it's definitely a film with potential that got totally wasted i'll give Thor a 6.9/10

a good presentation of the character to the audience

Author: Fernando Schiavi (fernandoschiavi@gmail.com) from Brazil
5 October 2016

Marvel Studios continues to bring to the screen their great characters so that they can all meet soon in his most ambitious project, The Avengers, adapting the story of God of Thunder, Thor. Unlike superhero films seeking greater realism and connection to the world today, Thor presents a very imaginative story, serving as an introduction the other stories in the Marvel universe.

The script by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne knew to be true to the comics and the origin of Thor, although not as well traveled, and to include other references, such as a quick scene with Clint Barton, Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner ) and mention of Dr. Bruce Banner, the Hulk, in the scene where Dr. Selvig said he knew a pioneering scientist in gamma radiation. When, finally, the audience accompanies Thor on Earth, everything is done very quickly and ask for their development, without reaching the importance it had for the narrative. Thor is banished to Earth to learn a lesson in humility and in just two days, he learns the lesson and everything is solved, making the whole very unlikely situation. Another fact is about the fascination of the hero with humans. The relationship between Thor and Jane Foster is totally predictable from the first scene and the speed with which she enchants with it's embarrassing.

If the script has its flaws, the director hit the casting. Anthony Hopkins with his deep voice and imposing appearance leaves no doubt about the leadership of Odin, the god of Asgard. Odin has intelligence and compassion worthy of a great king. The actor explores a more theatrical side to the character. Chris Hemsworth, after a long search, was chosen to give life to Thor, and did not disappoint. The rookie who had the most outstanding participation in Star Trek (2009), is a complex operation, ranging from the arrogant self-centered to a man worthy to rule Asgard competently. He is able to show virility, strength, charm and still has strong appeal in the mood, especially in the scenes he comes to Earth. Especially the scene that the great God of Thunder without his powers are defeated by a needle, or when he eats at a diner. It is still great to pass the feelings of the moment you can not remove your floor hammer for not being worthy to do so. Hemsworth has a heroic size, strong voice and great stage presence.

Tom Hiddleston, another newcomer who had made several television credits also convinces as Loki, giving preference to a more restrained, cold and calculating character. Loki is depicted three dimensional. In the beginning, we do not see as a villain, but as a person who really wants to be king for if you feel able to do the best for his people. Gradually we taking science of his actions and could witness its transformation. The newly Oscar winner Natalie Portman lends its beauty and resourcefulness to astrophysicist Jane Foster. Portman said he accepted work in Thor for the chance to work with director Kenneth Branagh, and clearly she has fun on stage. Stellan Skarsgård shows a calm, paternal Dr. Selvig, prominent among human allies of the Thunder God. He has no such function in the plot, but fun in the scene in which rescues Thor SHIELD team saying he would be Dr. Donald Blake and then taking him to drink in a bar. Kat Dennings is the first to be impressed by the beauty of Thor when he sees for the first time and serves as the comic relief as Darcy, Jane's assistant, but it is a character that could be deleted from the script easily. Clark Gregg returns as Agent Phil Coulson, SHIELD and again we see in it the link between the films of the franchise. He leaves the scene in Iron Man 2 and appears precisely to investigate the appearance of the fallen hammer of Thor.

Branagh is happy to portray some action scenes. The first major battle of Asgard army against the Frost Giants log at the beginning is very well directed, as Thor's invasion and his friends in the land of giants years after almost lead to another war between worlds. The visual effects are not only competent in the construction of complex scenarios, but also the strong battle scenes. In these struggles is where we see the first time the real power of the hammer Mjolnir and Thor. Already other sequences are well below what Marvel fans are used in the movies. The passage of Thor against the Destroyer is very weak. Giant movements sent by Loki are very artificial and not give credibility to the threat. As the main battle of the climax of the film it goes too fast and not emotional. The scenes that contain the film in Asgard involving the brothers are best made, but not yet brought strength to a film of this magnitude. The truth is that most of the scenes is well below its real potential and never excite.

Thor is, overall, a good presentation of the character to the public, with some good action scenes and presenting this more intergalactic universe and not only restricted to the earth as in the case of other superheroes. He missed further explore the presented worlds, work better picture of the action scenes and create new ones, and use techniques that showed Thor for a longer time on earth and that his relationship of love for this planet were built more credibly. It is true to the comic, with a post-production done well. The source was counted and the major powers of the illustrated hero, the reality was acclimated and the links with fully established Marvel universe. You can not miss the traditional post-credits scene that directly link the film directly to the Avengers movie.

Courage is immortal

Author: Gavin Henderson
4 September 2016

Before I had seen this movie I had virtually no prior knowledge of Thor, the caped hero or the actual Norse god, so literally everything in this movie was brand new to me and so It's good that I managed to find some great superhero action with Chris Hemsworth and some specifically directed to make the earth move performances from Brits Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston, but at the same time we did get Natalie Portman. Now don't get me wrong I love... I like Natalie Portman, but she really just served no purpose in this movie than other to be some bland trick of the trade love interest to the thunder god. And even though Kenneth Branagh got Stellan Skarsgaard on board for this movie, he did also get Kat Jennings. But back to the goodness! As said the performances from Hemsworth, Hiddleston and Hopkins are brilliant oh and Rene Russo was pretty cool for what screen time she got, also the cameo's and teasers for the future of the MCU are wonderfully integrated into the film. And of course, I couldn't go without mentioning the mind blowing special effects, especially in scenes like Thor fighting off Iain Glen's frost giants and the general design for Asgard. Thor, all in all is a great addition to the MCU. But it does have Natalie Portman ...

Dodgy Story

Author: suhstayn
20 August 2016

So the start - the backstory - was boring. Spent 30 minutes waiting for the movie to start. No need for it. Could have been said in 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes.

The middle part when Thor is on Earth was very good. I enjoyed the character and how he interacted with the humans and how they interacted with him. That was fun to see.

The character story arc was good to this point. Then came then finale which, again, was boring.

So a bad start and a bad finish with a good middle. There is some promise here for a better sequel but this is not a good movie.

Mediocre = not due to idea / character (Thor) but due to plot / storytelling not being up to par.

More Than a (Bifrost) Bridge Filler

Author: tjsdomer2 from United States
8 August 2016

I have to admit I have a soft spot for this movie. Thor brings children's bed-time stories to life with an excellent cast and fun set of characters. The flaws in the plot, of which there are several, mitigate themselves with a delightfully refreshing overall story about the growth of the main character, Thor.

If there is anything wrong with Thor, it is with the setup. In particular, Odin (Anthony Hopkins) does not come across as a particularly wise king, when it is obviously clear that Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is way too immature. Another sign of how weak Odin is comes in the form of pretty much every character in Asgard disobeying him for any reason. I point this out because I don't think it was director Kenneth Branagh's idea to depict the all-powerful Odin as so feeble.

I also am a bit confused about some of the magical principles of the film. For instance, the story line of Odin and his power (or lack thereof) has a bit too much deus ex machina in it. That said, I enjoyed Loki and Heimdall (Tom Hiddleston and Idris Elba, both in the running to play the next James Bond ironically). Loki in particular develops into a stronger character as the film progresses.

Finally, Natalie Portman pulls off the enamored scientist role pretty well and she and Hemsworth show quite the sexual tension. Thor gets 3 out of 4 hammers.

What?

Author: davidlikesmovies
3 August 2016

I'm sorry but who actually can take this film seriously? The main character, the Mr.Freeze-like villains, Thor's ridiculous looking sidekicks! Need I go on? I know Marvel is meant to have silly and childish elements in parts and that is probably why I'm not a big Marvel fan apart from the odd film here and there like the X-Men First Class trilogy and some of the Spider-Man films. But come on! This film is ridiculous from the start! Soooo many bad gags and cheesy lines throughout! Did that scene where Thor's dumb sidekick describing all that the other sidekick had eaten actually happen? CRINGE!!!!! Did they just literally sit down before making this movie and say "Okay, let's find the most over-the-top, annoying and wooden actor who women will fancy to cast as the lead! And let's write a screenplay full of God-awful and tacky moments!" The presence of Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman are not enough to redeem the amount of CRINGE in this film!!!!!

Thor brought to the big screen

Author: kmtwalsh from United Kingdom
22 July 2016

Thor carries on the marvel torch that had seen the Hulk films and Iron Man come before it.

I will admit I do like the Marvel characters but find myself struggling with the science incorporated into the stories and find that it can go over my head, I focus more on the characters development in the films.

The simple plot line without the science is Thor, son of Odin is cast out of Asgard for endangering it by nearly causing a war with their enemy the Frost Giants. As a result, his father takes his power away and sends him to earth. Thor ends up in New Mexico where he crashes into Dr Jane Foster, an astrophysicist played by Natalie Portman, her mentor Erik Selvig played by Stellan skarsgard and assistant Darcy. Thor struggles to deal with his mortality but through his interactions with his new friends he becomes a better person and less arrogant.

Chris Hemsworth rocks as Thor, I haven't seen the comics but he just fits what you expect a son of Odin to look like. I think it is one of the harder roles to play as he does start off as a very arrogant ass and could have been dislikeable but Chris is so likable that you find yourself overlooking his negative traits and I enjoyed seeing him change into a more humble character that realises he hasn't got all the answers but still tries anyway.

Tom Hiddleston plays another complex character in the film that if it had been played by a different actor could have been a dislikeable character. Loki is not a one dimensional villain and although he is a villain, he can be engaging as he does have have qualities that make him not as bad as he seems at times.

Natalie Portman was alright as Jane Foster but I don't think the role was that interesting. Anthony Hospkins as usual commands the screen.

I enjoyed the film very much particularly the early scenes when he lands on Earth are very funny such as him getting tasered by Darcy and the hospital scene. Other standouts for me is the unpredictable nature of Loki when you expect him to go one way and he goes in a totally different direction and the battle between Loki and Thor at the end of the film.

I was surprised that Kenneth Branagh, Shakespearean actor and director directed the film but as you watch the film you can see that he enjoys the subject matter and understands the characters. He was the right person to take the story to the big screen.

OK, but they could do more with this

Author: barbagvido from Zadar, Croatia
28 June 2016

Thor is the fourth MCU movie, coming after Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. It's about gods, so you would think this would be incredibly epic, but it's not really. The story doesn't feel big at all and barely affects anything, so it feels like it only exists to introduce us to the character.

It's not bad, it's enjoyable, it's entertaining, well shot, visually pretty impressive, pretty funny at times and they nailed the casting once again. Chris Hemsworth is a perfect choice for Thor just like Robert Downey Jr. for Iron Man. But the one who really stole the show for me is Tom Hiddleston as his brother Loki. He is the best villain MCU ever had so far and I think it will remain that way. He fits the role perfectly and he also seems to have a lot of fun playing it. Kenneth Branagh is the director this time and this is probably one of the most well directed MCU movies. Also, visually the movie is beautiful, one of the best looking MCU movies.

So, what went wrong? Once again, I'm saying the movie is pretty okay, but this isn't supposed to be just okay. I think they could have done a lot more with the story. It has a good character arc and everything, but it just doesn't feel big. Even tho there were some emotional parts, it still just doesn't help. It remains just kinda okay, but nothing more. And there should have been more.

This way it feels like this movie's only purpose is to introduce us to some new characters and it shouldn't be that way. And while the movie is well done and everything, it's just not as good as it can be.

Another Enjoyable Marvel Film

Author: Grant Bullert from Minnesota, USA
27 May 2016

Same formula as always, our hero finds himself in a predicament, he battles to get out of it, and there is a chance of evil still looming in the end. Nothing different about this movie, but it is still good. It was fun to experience the point of view of someone who is not from earth. Thor is one of the more interesting and fun Avengers in my opinion.

I thought Natalie Portman did very well in this film. There are some films where she seems weak in. I liked her character a lot, and Thor is very likable. Chris Hemsworth plays him perfectly. There is a humorous side to the film, which is great. This is one of the Marvel films that by the end had me asking for more.