IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 72: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Excellent Marvel Film.

Author: trippy90 from United Kingdom
30 April 2011

I went to see Thor on 28th april and i was very impressed with it. The effects were great and the actors/actresses did a good job. The romance was not to cheesy either.

Thor is a good film to watch if your looking for something that will entertain you. I think it was just as good as Iron Man. I haven't read the comic so i cant say whether it was like it but i enjoyed it personally. Some of the scenes were visually amazing. The fight scenes were very good as well.

I am a fan of most marvel films so this one did not disappoint. I felt the film told you enough of the story as well. I will definitely be buying this on DVD when it comes out. Stay for after the credits as well.

Id give Thor 8.5 or 9/10.

Iron Man's equal in every way.

Author: Forcerlo from Australia
21 April 2011

Going to see this film i had very mixed expectations. I liked the costumes and look when viewing the trailer however i thought the acting looked forced and i thought the trailer gave too much of the plot away. However most of my fears were put to rest when the movie started. The tone of the film was excellent and pulled off the mythological themes well. Odin looked great and Anthony Hopkins gave a good performance, as did Natalie Portman who gave her usual high standard. Tom Hiddlestone did excellent as Loki, it was amazing to see him come alive from the comic book. The star of this film though is Hemsworth I was so ambivalent regarding his performance coming into the film. But he exceeded my expectations and lived up to how I envisioned Thor would look, act, talk and fight. All the while I was thinking how awesome he would be clashing so glaringly alongside Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and Steve Rogers. I am pumped for the Avengers! The bad though is the plot is a little unambitious and his time on Earth needed more time to develop. All in all the tone of the film was excellent and gave us a Superhero film that did not cause any huge revelation in the way Superhero films should be done, it did give us another fresh revised feel to the genre much like Iron Man did back in 2008.

A spectacular film that every superhero film should strive to be

Author: chrismsawin from United States
7 May 2011

Superhero films are pretty much guaranteed to make a killing at the box office. It's mostly due to high anticipation, but also due to the fact that most studios seem to have been able to iron out the kinks over the years which lead to most of these films doing their source material justice while also just being great films in general. It hasn't always been that way though. Elektra and Punisher: War Zone practically bombed while films like X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine resulted in more fans distancing themselves from the franchise rather than embracing it. With Marvel banking so much on The Avengers being not only a huge accumulation of characters that fans love but also an amazing assembly of talent, Thor is a film that pretty much had to be good to gain momentum for what was just over the horizon. Before I gave up being a full-time comic book nerd, I never really thought much of Thor. So I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this. I wasn't overly excited for the film even though it looked fairly incredible, but luckily Thor was able to offer a magnificent spectacle that all superhero films should strive to be.

Thor still has that same atmosphere that any of the Marvel films since Iron Man have had, but at the same time seems to offer something that those films couldn't. A lot of it probably has to do with Asgard. This heavenly realm is unlike anything you've ever seen before and the special effects in the film are done well enough to be equally as impressive as Pandora in Avatar. Asgard is this spectacular kingdom in the sky that is incredibly extravagant and painted with gold. It's just breathtaking how well Thor was able to pull something like that off.

The cast is really phenomenal, as well. Chris Hemsworth is a really solid choice for Thor. His height, his build, the way he carries himself, along with his facial expressions are just as vital to how Thor is portrayed as his appearance and his dialogue. Hemsworth nails it; all of it. Tom Hiddleston was also a scene stealer. Loki is a guy you know is up to no good right from the start, but Hiddleston portrays his underhanded deeds to perfection. Throw in the intensity he utilizes in the second half of the film and Loki turns out to be a villain you're going to crave to see more of. Anthony Hopkins deserves a mention, as well. Many of Hopkins' recent roles have been lacking that special something that made many of his most popular roles so great. He was a fantastic choice for Odin though. He reminds you why you considered him so talented in the first place. The only nitpick I have is that both Natalie Portman and Tadanobu Asano were a little disappointing and I was expecting more from them. Portman doesn't really do much besides look pretty and Tadanobu's Hogun just deserved a little more screen time. I'm a huge fan of just about every Tadanobu Asano film out there though, so that could just be the fanboy in me talking.

Thor may be the loudest film I've ever seen in theaters. The film is mostly action to begin with, so it's guaranteed to be loud. But it just seemed louder than usual, especially any scene involving The Destroyer. That's not a bad thing; not at all. I'd rather have a film be too loud than too quiet any day.

Thor is an extravagant looking film dripping with spellbinding special effects, a fantastic cast overflowing with talent, and a captivating story that holds your interest from beginning to end. Thor has enough character development to introduce new characters while also leaving enough room to expand on their origins in the forthcoming sequels you'll be itching for by the time you see Thor swing Mjolnir for the last time. The superhero spectacular also offers a fair amount of heart amongst its waves of depth while also delivering incredibly loud and explosive action sequences. Words almost don't seem to do the film justice. Thor is imaginative, charming, and the definition of what an introductory superhero film should be. It could arguably be the best Marvel film to date.

A surprisingly great film

Author: franhevi
30 April 2011

I thought the character of Thor would make a ridiculous lousy film but, surprisingly for good, Branagh applies his shakespearean expertise to deliver a great story beautifully told.

There's a couple of cheesy lines but I guess they're needed to appeal to a younger audience. Action sequences are just great, seeing Thor fight is a thrill.

If you're a Marvel fan, keep your eyes open for tons of easter eggs. Nerdgasm.

I wouldn't recommend watching it in 3D, by the way. Not worth it.

---SPOILER ALERT---

There's a reference to Bruce Banner in the film. When it happened I instantly thought of Ed Norton; I'm not sure if building all this expectation and then showing the audience a Dr. Banner with a different face will work. Still looking forward to The Avengers, though.

One of Marvel's best adaptations, pure fun at the movies

Author: IgiS from Poland
30 April 2011

I highly recommend "Thor" to anyone willing to go on this type of escapist journey, which was prepared clearly as a fun inducing devise. It has all of those elements of good Marvel film. It is colorful, full of great CGI(3D really gets it job done well this time), deprived of unnecessary weight on plot(it is rather simple, yet not stupid), and it doesn't overstay its welcome, running just below 2hrs mark(but stay for an extra scene after the credits). Also it features very good performances all around. I was really impressed by newcomer Chris Hemsworth, who played lead role. It was spot on choice to go with him, instead of some more famous face, since he's done his job almost impeccably in a clearly star making role. Other players were very solid also, with beautiful Natalie Portman as main female character, Sir Hopkins in surprisingly long supporting role, and other fine actors(like Ray Stevenson, who was so disguised I only recognized him after the movie). I must say that it is best movie of it's kind since first Iron Man, and definitely in top group of comic book adaptations. Great way to start off summer time in cinemas, and let's just hope that what will follow this season(Transformers 3, Green Lantern, Captain America etc.), will be at least around that good.

Amazing film, great build up to the Avengers

Author: keemyb from United Kingdom
25 April 2011

Just came back from the theatres as the easter previews for the UK were on, and there's not much to criticise. There's no overpowering 3D effects here which is great, but because the glasses darken the image the first 10 or so minutes were a bit hard to see.

The story line was good, I don't know how much it parallels any of the source material but there are times when you think you know what's happening and when, but are pleasantly surprised.

As this is my first comment and I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a spoiler I will say one thing and that is to make sure, like many marvel films to pay respect to the film makers and stay till after the credits. Nick Fury makes an appearance as well as a seemingly forgotten cast member.

Brilliant!!!

Author: Shiva Kumar from Toronto, ON
14 May 2011

No Spoiler!!! You will not regret watching this movie. A very well done plot and execution. The movie is backed by good CGI and performances by the actors. The only dissatisfaction that i had, was that there was more to the movie and it was over looked. More emphasis could have been laid on the time THOR spends on earth. Like i've said before, the performances by the actors has been good with the exception of Natalie Portman. I wouldn't say that her performance in the movie is bad but it's just lukewarm. May be because there has been absolutely no importance given to her character development nor much screen time given to her.

However, the movie stands out to be a must watch for the story, plot, fights and good performances by most of them.

The God of Thunder is Simply Electrifying

Author: The_big_mick from Canada
6 May 2011

As a big comic fan, I understand that movies cannot be based exactly on events in the comics-its not very practical. Some say that this takes away from the story, and the movie is never as good as the comic itself. That being said, I really enjoyed Thor and it was a lot of fun. Being a comic reader, I like the little things the writers threw in as a little nod to the fans, like Thor inquiring about the name tag on the shirt Jane Foster gave him, and how it said Donald Blake, and she claimed it was her ex. Really liked the inclusion of the Warriors Three as well. But what impressed me the most was that everyone was really good in their roles! Chris Hemsworth was quite good as the cocky, yet brash God of Thunder. Tom Hiddleston portrayed the deceitful God of Mischief Loki very well, too. Anthony Hopkins was great as the wise and proud Warrior King Odin. Very good character choices, I thought.

I was also quite pleased that the feelings Jane Foster and Thor had for each other was kept as a small plot point instead of taking a much larger role. They kept things focused on Thor and trying to return to Asgard, as they should have. Well done.

Problems? Well, only a couple of minor things, really. They really should have explained what the Odinsleep was, because without knowing about it from reading the comics, a normal movie goer would have just seen Odin collapse, and then be told he couldn't continue on as the King of Asgard because he was "in the Odinsleep". Considering that being in the Odinsleep was the whole basis for Loki becoming King and thus causing a lot of the plot to commence, it really did bear some explanation. Also, I found that some of the fights were rather short. They were good, but when you see Thor, Loki, Sif and the Warriors Three take on a ton of Frost Giants and beat them pretty easily, and those are supposed to be some of the big villains in the movie, it kinda makes you take them less serious. Same with Destroyer. I was so stoked that he was in this movie: in fact, it was probably what I was most excited for. He decimated Sif and the Warriors Three, and then gives Thor a good smack, and then suddenly Mjolnir returns to Thor and Thor beats Destroyer in about 2 minutes. And the same happened to Loki. Loki manipulated everyone, masterminded the whole plan about getting the Frost Giants into Asgard through a secret passage and was playing both sides against the middle. He starts taunting Thor, and then when Thor finally fights him, the fight lasts about 5 minutes. A couple of blows back and forth, Loki makes some mirror images of himself and then its pretty much over. Had they made at least some of the fights go on a bit longer, particularly Loki, it would have gone a long way towards cementing the villains as really worthy opponents. At least Destroyer annihilated the Warriors Three and Sif, which made him seem pretty damn worthy, but Thor turning around and beating him pretty easily took away from that, I found.

Aside from that, it was an entertaining film. There are lots of laughs to be had, (particularly the fish out of water type, as Thor has no clue how to properly act on Earth), the acting is very solid and the story is pretty good.

Great. Could have easily been screwed, but exceeded expectations.

Author: jedi10-682-101769 from United States
11 May 2011

Thor is a weird character even in the Marvel comic universe, he feels a little out of place compared to the super science of the X-Men, FF, Spiderman and others. Yet, comic fans been attracted to this weird tale of Gods and Monsters since the 1960s. Marvel made great decisions with the director, cast and production. Kenneth Baranaugh creates Asgard as though it was ripped from Hamlet or King Henry V with a sense of wonderment of olden times. Chris Hemmolth is awesome as Thor. As dead on RDJ was Tony Stark, Chris nails Thor which is a much harder role then being a drunk jackass in a metal suit. Hopkins as Odin is a real treat as well.

The story does a great job of laying the foundation of the Norse myth with Frost Giants, Loki, the Casket of Winter and the rest of the gods. I loved how they made Thor, the cocky warrior and didn't hold back on how much of spoiled brat he was. Kenneth did a smart move of giving Loki a decent story as well. Instead of being evil upfront, Loki just wanted to ruin Thor's day and through that action realizes he is a monster. All the stuff in Asgard with the Three Warriors and Sif give the movie a good scope.

I have heard people complain about the Earth scenes. I disagree to a point, the love story is a bit weak, but they usually are in these movies. Superman, Spiderman and to some extent Iron Man series are really the only ones to nail the love story. It does as Kevin Smith point out that Jane is just lusting for Thor and his hammer. Thor fighting Shield was great as was the Hawkeye cameo. The humans interacting with Thor was fun which the movie needed to be. I also disagree with the assessment Thor's redemption was quick. Thor's redemption starts with Loki lying about Odin's death that breaks him. Its a subtle bit which most audience would miss. Plus, he was willing sacrifice his life when he had no way of knowing he would be brought to life. So, I am OK with the redemption story.

The end was a nice touch of destroying the Rainbow bridge. I did not see that coming at all consideirng how important it is in the comics. As good as the end was, the after credit scene was balls. Fury with the briefcase was a nice nod to Pulp Fiction as well as nice Usual Suspects ending of Loki maybe being the human doctor all along. This was a great start for the summer and what I thought would be the giant speed bump for Avengers has turned out to be more gas on the pedal. Bring on Cap and GL.

A genuine delight.

Author: BeverlyHillsGunClub from United Kingdom
7 May 2011

I've known of the super hero Thor for a long time, I didn't gel with the character as a comic book reader in the 80's though The Ultimates version of Thor got me hooked.

Again when I heard Kenneth Brannagh was directing I rolled my pretty nerd eyes, again I was to be surprised.

I just saw Thor, in 3D, this afternoon, I'm still on a movie high from it and that's why I'm writing this review. I can't remember the last time I left the cinema all buzzed and excited by a movie, actually yes I can it was Avatar, the 1st time I saw a 3D film.

Thor is classic story telling done 21 century style, no shame over the Gods and magic, merely they are presented as fact and we accept them as there in the film. The story is exciting, again a simple tale but as Avatar proved tell a simple tale well and you will entertain, no clever story tricks or sneaky twists, merely an entertaining story, which can, in the right directors hands be elevated above what it is.

The graphics whilst not perfect look good, some beautiful Asgardian shots and some amazing 3D moments, I love 3D, it's exciting and Thor is the kind of film it would seem made for, sumptuous, beautiful sets, dripping in colour and scope.

Helmsworth and Portman share a good chemistry, I could have used some more of them together but that's all to come, the secondary characters are all fine in they serve the story though there are some moments of over acting that seem excess to the scenes, again though it's a new franchise and a first film so all is forgive. Hopkins is understated but obviously great and Hiddleston who plays Loki is excellent, sneaky, relate-able too and not outright evil, more a maker of mischief, as Loki is.

I have to stop now as new Doctor Who is about to start, go see Thor you will enjoy it as a fan of the character or as someone adverse or unaware of his greatness.

I don't believe in God but I do believe in Thor.