IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 75: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Awesome

Author: mike198326 from Folkestone, England
2 May 2011

in one word Awesome!

I was really curious and excited to see Thor as I love big budget movies and also it's the first time I see Kenneth Branagh directing a movie like this. Normally it's not his style. So I went in and just loved it!. It's so beautiful to look at, at how beautiful they've made Asgaard look. It's not so much a comic book movie but the Thor myth come to life! It's funny, witty, moving ( a few scenes I admit I was crying like when Thor was so happy to have found his hammer but could not lift it and the scene at the end between him and Odin, played by an astounding Anthony Hopkins who IS Odin, and does even a better job than Bob Hoskins. And yes it did remind me of The Mask with Loki etc. This is in my opinion the BEST movie that SIR Kenneth Branagh has ever made and I hope they call on him if ever there's a Thor 2!

Oh my god!! Everything I expected, and much more...

Author: k_wallander from Switzerland
30 April 2011

My title really sums up how I perceived this great movie. I just returned home from watching this tonight. And holy cow, Mr. Brannagh really delivered!! When Kenneth Brannagh was announced as Thor's director, I was really expecting something great from the one who directed various Shakespeare adaptations. I've only saw his remake of "Sleuth", and despite weak ratings from the critics I really liked that crime flick. I really loved how he handled the characters. Brannagh really knows how to set the stage for clever and suspenseful drama. Furthermore I adore him as an actor (my IMDb nickname says you that).

So as a longtime comic-book fan I was really excited getting to see a visually spectacular and dramatic comic-book adaptation by a skillful director. And boy my expectations were fulfilled. F...... hell, this rocked!! The (first two) X-men and Iron Man movies were always said to be the Marvel Masterpieces when it comes to movie adaptations. Personally I always thought these movies to be entertaining, but not much more. They didn't really deliver an epic feeling. They didn't introduce you to a fantastic world in all it's glorious beauty that wants you to explore it. "Thor" just delivers all that. To me "Thor" stands as the best Marvel comic-book-movie till now, by far...

First of all, the characters are really likable and portrayed in a realistic way. All character developments don't seem to be forced. The most interesting character is Loki. At the beginning I really felt sympathy for him. It is until a tragic revelation, where his character undergoes a change to a more evil side, but even then some of his behaviors seem to be understandable. The father-son conflict is portrayed brilliantly. Kenneth Brannagh at his best!!

This movie is visually outstanding and some scenes, like for example the prologue, deliver this "LotR" feeling that gives you the goosebumps. There are many memorable shots that are purely majestic. When Thor, Sif and the Warriors Three ride on the Bifröst it just shouts "pure awesomeness" into your face. Many scenes on Asgard are just spot on. The buildings on Asgard seem to be based on a hybrid of krypton and middle-earthen architecture. The visuals on this world show the advanced, noble and god-like status of the Asgardians. Asgard is depicted as a heavenly and unbelievably beautiful realm in the never-ending depths of the cold space. It provides a subject for speculations, if the Asgardians are indeed gods with magical powers, or if they are extraterrestrial beings with technology far beyond our understandings, but the movie doesn't really discusses this issue and leaves it to the audience to give an opinion in this matter.

What else can be said? The action was exciting. While the frost-giant-battle on Jotunheim was a bit visual overkill and at some parts almost cartoony, the fights on earth were harsh, gritty and bloody. Brannagh really handled the different worlds very well. On earth, humor was predominant, the scenes on Asgard stood out for Shakespearian drama, while Jotunheim delivered a creepy and threatening atmosphere. The CGI-Environments were all breathtaking. There were sequences (Bifröst, Asgard mainly) that really were out of this world. All in all, the visual effects were amazing and god-worthy. The score was magnificent, it perfectly captured the proudness and courage of the Asgardians.

I gave "Thor" a 10 out of 10. It surely is on of the best movies of it's kind. I stands up there with "The Dark Knight", "Star Trek", "Avatar" and "Inception". It's the perfect Blockbuster.

Thor is exceptional because its an adaptation that does it with utter belief in the story and with the best talent and FX possible.

Author: U Dude (Marvelouis) from United States
3 May 2011

WOW! No wonder all the big time critics love this movie (Ebert, Roeper, Joyce Kulhawik. etc) It's amazing! I can't wait to see it again! Two thumbs up from me too! Thor is a magnificent thrill ride that even the most cynical viewer or critic will find something to enjoy. That's why even the jaded or cynical critics wanting to hate on yet "another comic book film" can't bring themselves to hate it. Those watching with an open mind will absolutely adore this film. Once seen, it's easy to see why critics are basically in agreement regardless of their previous dispossession.

If you're going to turn a comic book into a movie, do it with utter belief in your story and do it with the best talent and FX possible. That's why Marvel rules the cinema and why they need to get ALL their properties back under their roof. Come on Disney, spend that cash and reunite the Marvel Universe! Avengers will be great but imagine if Spider-Man and Wolverine pop in to join Thor and company in Avengers 4!!!!!!

Yet, Even in an era when an explosion of comic-book properties are hitting the big screen, Thor stands alone. This has little to do with an individual who utilizes special powers and everything to do with your typical Marvel hero. It's the classic Marvel style with a great twist, a hero with flaws and awesome spectacles everywhere you look. You must see this flick!

A Wagnerian Action Comedy Masterpiece of the genre.

Author: GD Cugham from East Kilbride, Scotland
28 April 2011

There is a poignant scene in cult 1980s BBC sitcom 'Red Dwarf' where the super-organised hologram Rimmer talks about why he actually likes his polar opposite Rastafarian, slob, scouse room-mate Lister. He compares him to a hangover-cure "fried egg and chilli sauce ciabatta sandwich" Lister has offered. "All your ingredients are wrong - but somehow it works, somehow you're right!"

The same has to be said for 'Thor'. A giant WWE escapee taking down scientists and CIA men in New Mexico just after having been banished from his monster-infested, operatically armoured home-universe sounds like the worst straight to video Triple-H starrer ever made - but it all somehow, not only comes together, succeeds in throwing more at the screen than many superhero movies could lay claim to.

Marvel's vision and slight tinkering of the Norse Edda, the mythological testament of the vikings, remains. Loki is Thor, not Odin's, half-brother, while Heimdall, usually the janitor of the Gods in mythology books, becomes a noble and stoic guardian of the godly kingdom of Asgard.

Kenneth Branagh resurrects the one thing that was good about his 'Frankenstein' - sweeping camera shots, heated melodrama that evokes the excitement of a children's story as well as the drama of Shakespeare. In fact, Branagh's grounding in the bard means that the plot's interweaving of 'King Lear' in Odin, 'Macbeth' and 'Iago' in Loki's character, of 'Hamlet'-llite in some of Thor's darker ruminations and not a little of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' s immortal/mortal interpersonal dynamics is deft.

Thrilling and refreshing too is the involvement of monsters, giants and archaic robot menaces as well as real-world threat and suspense in a superhero movie for almost the first time in the cycle of superhero movies since 'X-Men's' rekindling of the genre. Bryan Singer might want to take notes if he ever revisited 'the Man of Steel', while Zach Snyder might do well to notice that human drama need not be sacrificed in the face of a slew of special effects.

There are only a few negatives. Once Thor lands in the desolate New Mexican town and finds friends he just kind of hangs with them there. Moving from place to place may have heightened the thrills in the earthbound sequences. The prosthetics of the Frost giants look off-the-peg creations compared to their giant CGI hell-hound-troll and this may come from two different effects houses handling these respectively.

These are minor quibbles in a movie that blends humour, whimsy and outrageous action with genuine urgency, real world dilemmas and not a little goose-pimpling Shakespearean cinema. Oh, and the brief glimpse of Odin's steed Sleipnir shall have comic-book and mythology fans in a state of complete awe.

This will satisfy everyone who attends it and all that remains to be said is this to the developers of the new 'He-Man' movie: Look at 'Thor' - it can be done.

An Englishman, an Australian & a Hammer

Author: bassrourke from Australia
17 April 2011

Having just seen the global premiere of Thor - God of Thunder, in Sydney Australia, all I can say is ....wow! Don't worry readers I am not about to give away one single spoiler, however after some time and anticipation, Thor is a winner. Australian Chris Hemsworth graced the red carpet in all his native glory, talking up the film and his future entity in The Avengers. He was joined by Shakespeare aficionado Director Kenneth Brangh and co stars Jamie Alexander & Tom Hiddleston who plays crowd favourite Loki. Thor is a good movie, plenty of action, a lovely heroine (Natalie Portman) and some interesting sidekicks. Costumes rock, not to mention the obligatory Marvel characters making significant cameos, not just the extra scene after the credits, but within the film itself. I was a little over superhero movies recently but this is not to be missed.

Big Step in The Right Direction

Author: jrciha-73670
28 May 2017

This movie was a pleasant surprise. I was never a huge fan of Thor in the comics, but this movie got me pretty interested in the character. It also surprised me that it was better than the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. Chris Hemsworth was born to play Thor. Absolutely perfect. Tom Hiddleston was great as Thor's brother Loki. Anthony Hopkins was great as Odin. Natalie Portman was fine as Jane Foster. I liked Stellan Skaarsgard as Erik Selvig. Kat Dennings was over the top comic relief, but there were times when I enjoyed her. My main problem was that the story was full of clichés and was very predictable. The action was fun when there was action. The effects of Asgard were awesome. The musical score was great. All of the movies to this range from Great to alright. This falls in the almost very great section. I really enjoyed it, but it's still not perfect.

Fairly standard

Author: Michael Lysaght
17 May 2017

So the MCU needs to build up its cast for the Avengers, so after two Iron Man films and a Hulk film, they give us a change of pace with Thor. We are introduced to the world of Asgard, to Thor, Loki, Odin and the Asgardians. As this is directed by Kenneth Branagh, there are clear Shakespearean overtones in the story.

Thor ends up getting exiled due to his arrogance and is sent to Earth where he meets a team of wannabe physicists led by Natalie Portman, investigating spatial disturbances caused by Thor's exile to Earth. SHIELD intervene and take control of the operation, sealing off Thor's hammer that has fallen to Earth. It essentially becomes a fish out of water story as Thor tries to readjust himself and learn the culture and etiquette of civilized humans. Ultimately, Loki reveals his plans to overthrow the throne of Asgard, with Thor's exile being part of the plan and Thor must save the day.

Overall, this film is decently made. Chris Hemsworth is charming as Thor and it's entertaining to see him learn the ways to behave rather than act all grandiose. His human companions are bearable, although Kat Dennings' character can get irritating. Not a film to praise to death although it's passable.

Enjoyable Fluff

Author: SPIDER MAN from Canada
15 May 2017

Thor is a light, enjoyable comic book movie. The one word that perfectly encapsulates this movie is "simple". Thor's character arc of redemption works. The villain has just enough backstory to make him interesting. The "fish out of water" type of humour works. The movie is incredibly silly, yet it embraces its ridiculousness. This makes the movie very easy to get into. Only rarely do you get pulled out due to forced melodrama. The movie achieves nearly everything it sets out to. However, that is the main issue with the film. It isn't exactly ambitious. It does a good job telling a simple superhero origin story, but it does little more than that. Asgard seems to be to be very interesting, but more time spent exploring it would have improved the film. The action sequences are decent, but it could have been much more creative given the character's supernatural abilities. Overall, Thor could have been something great if it was more ambitious and creative. That being said, it achieves its goal of being good.

The best MARVEL ever created!

Author: Loki Laufeyson from Melbourne, Australia
30 April 2017

This movie is amazing! The perfect mix between hilariousness and seriousness, this is a MUST watch! I love the way MARVEL incorporated Mythology with modern times. Chris Hemsworth's outstanding performance will catch the eyes of every audience. Alongside with Tom Hiddleston, who's skill in planning Loki could not be outmatched by any other actor. What I love about this film is that it is not the usual American superhero movie, it has a relaxing feel to it, a sense of an English production, something that you cannot find in many movies these days. The story is put together in a lovely way, and Natalie Portman's Jane is played with significance. Darcy is always there to brighten the day, and the link with avengers is intriguing beyond doubt. I often wonder–with the new Thor Ragnarok looking bad, will MARVEL ever be able to capture the quality of this movie ever again.

Hemsworth's hunky Thundergod plays 2nd fiddle to Tom Hiddleston's delightfully devious Loki

Author: ryanskywalker-87402 from Bolton, England
27 April 2017

Marvel does fantasy and fish-out-of-water with Kenneth Branagh's "Thor," a superhero film that film that explores different realms to engaging results. While the film tests the burgeoning Marvel cinematic universe's mettle by moving back and forth between contemporary Earth and fantastic kingdoms, two decidedly different narrative and cinematic landscapes, the work appeals with its larger-than-life characters and classic themes. It is a strong and swift action outing.

When Chris Hemsworth's Thor, son of Odin, is cast from his home of Asgard and into southwestern wilds of Earth, the god-prince finds himself tested by old enemies and dangerous, new forces. This premise sets up a classic hero quest; but the narrative movement between the fantastic and the Earth-bound can be jarring. The two sides of the plot are both robust, but there is little easy connection between them. Still, the operatic Asgard moments somehow bolster the comparatively simple New Mexico segments. The story packs surprisingly potent romance, exhilarating heroism, and invigorating world-building into its mix of old-world and contemporary mythology.

Branagh weds the two sides of the narrative, steeping each in effective designs and visual styles of its own. Asgard is colorful and royal, while Earth is suitably genuine. The production gleams, and action beats are sturdy and thrilling. The cast is inspired, and Hemsworth makes a mighty addition to the canon but Tom Hiddlestons, mischievous Loki completely steals the show. Branagh's steady directorial hand balances tones, mythologies, and aesthetics while keeping a focus on the film's characters, story beats, and spectacle.

"Thor" could have easily taken a torn toward camp based on its very nature, but it is able to allow its disparate sides to coexist without lapsing into silliness. Thanks to its direction, cast, and committed sense of self, the film succeeds. "Thor" proves the viability of the Marvel cinematic universe's ability to take stylistic and narrative risks, and it all makes for an rousing, entertaining experience.