IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 74: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Loved it! Go Watch it! :D

Author: MadLynix
9 May 2011

I had to say that its one of the best marvel movies yet, great cast and they all did a wonderful job! Great director and handled the scenes and actors in a great way for each was able to reveal the true nature of the characters.. I've seen it twice and would advise all to go watch it even if your not into such fairy tales but you never know!

Which brings me to the 2nd point that they kept along the old tales of Thor and in fact they could do sequels easily..

I wonder how The Avengers will be like but I am sure if Chris is in it, then no worries The Mighty Thor will prevail as he always does! :D

Of Course Anthony, Natalie, Tom, Stellan & even Kat played the roles in an impeccable manor! Well done to all!

While "The Avengers" was a winner, "Thor" really doesn't work.

Author: Sergeant_Tibbs from Suffolk, England
10 July 2013

The only reason I watched this film is because I'm going to see The Avengers soon and I've seen all the others, although they range from decent to average. I was already not a fan of anything about this film so I had low expectations and it pretty much met them. I'm not a fan of Kenneth Branagh in whatever he does so Thor was pretty typical of him. The emotional cores of the film are intended to be the father/son, brother/brother and Thor/Natalie Portman relationships, but none of them were convincing as they weren't set up properly, nor did they have any genuine chemistry, as a poor attempt to base them on Shakespearean foundations.

Loki is a ridiculous villain, he wasn't evil nor threatening, and I immediately hated the character of Thor. Every character is paper-thin and charmless, I had lots of eye-rolling moments. Especially as they set up the realm of Asgard to be a sincere and the Earth scenes to have lighter comedy, the contrast only seeming sloppy and cheap, as they repeat the same jokes four times in a row hoping to get one laugh. There's no tension or excitement, as the unlikeable Thor battles faceless obstacles, it's no better than a Steven Seagal movie but made PG-13. The other Avenger films had something redeeming about them, but I'll see how the big film is on the big screen. I don't expect something spectacular, but at least worthwhile.

Update: I saw The Avengers and it was spectacular. I am pleased.

Disappointed...

Author: xxdoubleOxx from United States
17 May 2011

I really don't know what these people are thinking when they say this was a great adaptation. OBVIOUSLY, they don't know enough about the character Thor. This was a horrible adaptation. But lets start with what was good I suppose.

Costumes and graphics were on point. But with technology today it was absolutely nothing special. The imagination of the director was really impressive though (at least with look of Asgard). Other than that, everything was pretty... ehhhh....

One thing that really got on my nerves was the downplay on Thor's intelligence. They made him seem dumb. He was pretty much the Incredible Hulk that could speak perfectly. But it was really inconsistent with the story. He understands the concepts of magic and science on earth AND makes it obvious that where he comes from they are one and the same. YET, it seemed more like he came from a time preceding that of present day earth. He reminded me of those role playing "Renaissance people" who take the job TOO seriously.

Then you have Loki, who walks in and manipulates everything and knows everything it seems. He's many steps ahead of humans and even those in Asgard. I understand its his role to be mischievous BUT his intelligence is MUCH MUCH higher than Thor, who as I said seemed like he was dumber than the humans around him.

I can go on, but the other thing that disappointed me the most about Thor was the DOWNPLAY of his powers! He's the GOD OF THUNDER and in terms of strength, arguably the MOST POWERFUL of all Avengers/Marvel characters. After watching the movie, if I had to make a comparison, SUPERMAN would PWN the S&%* out of him. Though I didn't exactly LOVE the last superman movie, the capabilities of Superman seemed endless! That's probably what disappointed me the most about the movie. Thor is capable of MUCH more and as my favorite character of Marvel, this was nothing as I expected!

only watch if you are 10 or with the IQ of a ten year old

Author: katagorie from United Kingdom
17 May 2011

OK.i went to see this with an open mind, i'm a scfi fan and i do usually enjoy these types of films but enough is enough. the special effects and cgi look good and are quite impressive. BUT, seriously, if you aren't a 10yr old kid who hasn't seen a movie before how in the name of the film gods can you watch this show without cringing every 2 minutes. the acting is shockingly bad. the script laughable. the characters tired cliché's. the story arc so poor, so so poor i actually found myself laughing at how obvious and simple it was yet still woeful.and this is with 5 writers??? what is brannagh at??? go back to the stage you fool. this should come with a new age certificate. anyone over 10 should not be allowed to see this. even then i wouldn't recommend this for a kid. there are far far better shows out there without reverting to this mindless drivel. i feel violated after having to sit through this.

falling down

Author: frogscientist from France
8 May 2011

Don't be mistaken, this is not the story of a fallen god, this is, rather, the story of a fallen movie director.

How could the director of Dead Again and of several rather watchable Shakespeare adaptations have fallen so low? This movie is so broken beyond repair that it is hard to believe it was not designed to be that way.

The characters are ridiculous and uninteresting, the psychology and the science, an insult to the viewer's intelligence, the dialogs could have been written by a 4 year old, the storyline could have been written by a 3 year old, the special effects are ugly and pointless; last but not least: the acting is so plain bad, that you believe that the director selected the worst shots on purpose.

Is the lost hammer the symbol of Brannagh's lost inspiration? Is Thor's success in attaining "worthiness" by getting drunk in a bar a suggestion to the disparaged moviegoer?

Without any hesitation, this is by far the lowest point in Marvel's movie series. (Until the foreshadowed release of the Avenger sequel....)

Amazing film, great build up to the Avengers

Author: keemyb from United Kingdom
25 April 2011

Just came back from the theatres as the easter previews for the UK were on, and there's not much to criticise. There's no overpowering 3D effects here which is great, but because the glasses darken the image the first 10 or so minutes were a bit hard to see.

The story line was good, I don't know how much it parallels any of the source material but there are times when you think you know what's happening and when, but are pleasantly surprised.

As this is my first comment and I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a spoiler I will say one thing and that is to make sure, like many marvel films to pay respect to the film makers and stay till after the credits. Nick Fury makes an appearance as well as a seemingly forgotten cast member.

Me Thor, You Jane

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
27 May 2011

The Marvel Comic hero Thor of course based on the ancient Norse God of Thunder comes to the big screen in a fine version with very nice computer graphic special effects. And it has the added attraction of a classical actor like Kenneth Branagh directing and having the lines of the Norse immortals spoken as if the Bard had written them.

As played by Chris Hemsworth, Thor's been exiled to Earth, the last time he visited there was when the ancient Norse were worshiping him and other such beings who visited from Asgaard. Thor's a warrior, but it takes more than being mighty in battle to rule as his father Odin keeps patiently trying to tell him.

Anthony Hopkins another actor with classical acting chops plays Odin and I wonder if Hopkins might have envied Laurence Olivier for getting the plum role of Zeus in a film. He's now equaled him in playing another immortal deity.

Thor lands on Earth, New Mexico to be specific and runs into scientific researcher Jane and she tickles his fancy the same way that other Jane rang Tarzan's bell. Natalie Portman is the object of Hemsworth's affections.

But back on Asgaard Thor's brother Loki as played by Tom Higglesworth is plotting a palace coup of his own. That leads to a really spectacular fight to the finish as Thor's mighty hammer gives a few folks an attitude adjustment.

Branagh served up a fine tasty dish for those who like their comic book heroes. Hopefully we'll see these folks again in some further adventures.

Thor Continues to Build Up the Momentum for The Avengers

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
2 May 2011

¨Whoever wields this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.¨ With Thor, summer movies have officially started in Hollywood. It's not one of my favorite seasons of the year for films, but if the rest of the movies can live up to what Kenneth Branagh has accomplished with Thor it will be an exciting and entertaining season at the movies. I wasn't a huge fan of Thor before this movie came out, I wasn't even expecting too much out of it, but I decided to go see it because he's still one of The Avengers and I couldn't miss out on all the propaganda that began with Iron Man. With each one of these films my expectations for The Avengers is rapidly building, and even Thor managed to win me over to his side. The first thing I can say about the movie is that it was entertaining enough for me to want to go see it twice in two days. The story, the visuals, the strong performance from two relatively unknown actors like Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are all factors that contribute to making this movie successful. Include Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins into the mix and you have an even better film. The directing had a lot to do with it as well because Kenneth Branagh is a serious and dedicated director; he has proved it time after time with his adaptations of Shakespearean plays. He was dedicated with this project as well; adapted this Marvel comic superhero and prepared him for the big screen. Like most every Marvel character, they are very well developed and the film is no exception remaining true to the comic.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is the son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins) the god of Asgard. He is a great warrior and his father has been preparing him to be the future King of Asgard. It is no easy task because Asgardians are the keepers of the peace in all nine realms (Earth being one of those realms). They can travel from one realm to another through the Forest which is guarded by Heimdall (Idris Elba). Odin saved Earth from extinction many centuries ago when the Frost Giants tried to destroy the planet. Odin defeated them and took away their power so they could no longer leave their planet, Jotunheimr. Odin has kept the peace during all these years but now it's time to proclaim Thor as his heir to the throne. On the day of his proclamation something unexpected occurs and three Frost Giants manage to enter Asgard and almost steal the cube which holds their power. However The Destroyer does his job and kills the invaders before they can do any harm. Thor is furious and wants to give the Giants a lesson, but Odin wants to maintain peace and orders Thor to remain in Asgard. Against his father's command Thor travels to Jotunheimr with his younger brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the 3 warriors: Volstagg, Hogun, and Fandral, and Sif (Jaime Alexander). Together they face the Giants who tell them there is a traitor in Asgard. Odin discovers that Thor disobeyed his command, rescues the warriors from the Frost Giants but vanishes Thor to Earth without his supernatural powers. In Earth Thor meets a group of scientists: Dr. Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard), Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), and Darcy (Kat Dennings) who help him rediscover his path.

I can imagine how difficult it was to try to make a serious movie out of all this Norse mythology about the nine realms and so on, but Branagh pulls it off by combining humor with the story. For instance when the three warriors come to Earth to find Thor, the unbelievable situation is toned down with a lot of humor. The same can be said with the Destroyer when he arrives at Earth to try to destroy Thor. When the SHIELD agents first see this metal giant they believe it could be one of Stark's creations. So whenever the plot seems to be getting ridiculous, the tone of the film is cooled down with a lot of humor. The funniest character is Darcy who with clever one-liners manages to steal most laughs. I liked Kat Dennings in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, but here once more she proves she is a talented actress. The true stars of the film however are Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston. Hemsworth plays Thor to perfection, and Hiddleston is excellent as Loki. The scene where he realizes his true identity is perhaps one of the most dramatic and best acted sequences in the movie. I know we are being bombarded with a lot of superhero movies, but as long as they keep on making them this entertaining I have no problem with that. Thor is no Dark Knight, or even Iron Man for that matter, but it still is a very good film. I will end my review by quoting my six year old brother's words after the movie ended: ¨I don't want to have an Iron Man party for my birthday anymore. I want it to be Thor!¨ http://estebueno10.blogspot.com/

An Englishman, an Australian & a Hammer

Author: bassrourke from Australia
17 April 2011

Having just seen the global premiere of Thor - God of Thunder, in Sydney Australia, all I can say is ....wow! Don't worry readers I am not about to give away one single spoiler, however after some time and anticipation, Thor is a winner. Australian Chris Hemsworth graced the red carpet in all his native glory, talking up the film and his future entity in The Avengers. He was joined by Shakespeare aficionado Director Kenneth Brangh and co stars Jamie Alexander & Tom Hiddleston who plays crowd favourite Loki. Thor is a good movie, plenty of action, a lovely heroine (Natalie Portman) and some interesting sidekicks. Costumes rock, not to mention the obligatory Marvel characters making significant cameos, not just the extra scene after the credits, but within the film itself. I was a little over superhero movies recently but this is not to be missed.

Thor brought to the big screen

Author: kmtwalsh from United Kingdom
22 July 2016

Thor carries on the marvel torch that had seen the Hulk films and Iron Man come before it.

I will admit I do like the Marvel characters but find myself struggling with the science incorporated into the stories and find that it can go over my head, I focus more on the characters development in the films.

The simple plot line without the science is Thor, son of Odin is cast out of Asgard for endangering it by nearly causing a war with their enemy the Frost Giants. As a result, his father takes his power away and sends him to earth. Thor ends up in New Mexico where he crashes into Dr Jane Foster, an astrophysicist played by Natalie Portman, her mentor Erik Selvig played by Stellan skarsgard and assistant Darcy. Thor struggles to deal with his mortality but through his interactions with his new friends he becomes a better person and less arrogant.

Chris Hemsworth rocks as Thor, I haven't seen the comics but he just fits what you expect a son of Odin to look like. I think it is one of the harder roles to play as he does start off as a very arrogant ass and could have been dislikeable but Chris is so likable that you find yourself overlooking his negative traits and I enjoyed seeing him change into a more humble character that realises he hasn't got all the answers but still tries anyway.

Tom Hiddleston plays another complex character in the film that if it had been played by a different actor could have been a dislikeable character. Loki is not a one dimensional villain and although he is a villain, he can be engaging as he does have have qualities that make him not as bad as he seems at times.

Natalie Portman was alright as Jane Foster but I don't think the role was that interesting. Anthony Hospkins as usual commands the screen.

I enjoyed the film very much particularly the early scenes when he lands on Earth are very funny such as him getting tasered by Darcy and the hospital scene. Other standouts for me is the unpredictable nature of Loki when you expect him to go one way and he goes in a totally different direction and the battle between Loki and Thor at the end of the film.

I was surprised that Kenneth Branagh, Shakespearean actor and director directed the film but as you watch the film you can see that he enjoys the subject matter and understands the characters. He was the right person to take the story to the big screen.