IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 76: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Kenneth Branagh adds heavy dramatic depth to an already quite-unusual superhero flick

Author: dvc5159 from Penang, Malaysia / Chicago, USA
6 May 2011

Alright, back when this was into preproduction, I (and so many comic book fans) were surprised when Branagh was slated to direct. Here we have Thor the god of lightning and his mighty hammer, directed by a man who works mostly around William Shakespeare plays.

Thankfully, this helps. A lot.

Almost every superhero movie (Marvel, lately) focuses on more action instead of character development. Sure, they may look awesome, but you get used to it. Branagh bravely steers away from this predicament and directs the actors with such skill and flair you may mistake this film for yet another Branagh/Shakespeare costume epic.

Make no mistake this is still a superhero film, with some nice special effects and a stylish production design for Asgard, but there's a nice human twist to the story - that of dueling brothers, or gods, or god- brothers... you get the idea. Chris Hemsworth looks just about right for the part and shows some charisma as well as the hero. Branagh has assembled an interesting mix of actors - we have the great Anthony Hopkins, the cute Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard, Kat Dennings, Idris Elba and even Rene Russo. Tom Hiddleston however steals the scene as the mischievous brother Loki.

Here's another good thing about the movie - the story and acting outweigh the special effects and action sequences. For a superhero film, this is extremely rare. Branagh deserves kudos for the effort, however some parts do not gel in nicely and there's some action bits that are not too well-filmed.

All is forgiven though - "Thor" is an above-average superhero movie, not extremely exciting, but definitely intriguing. Fans of both comic book films and costume dramas will certainly enjoy this.

Two words of caution - one, keep an eye out for some cameos, both during and after the film. Two, for goodness sake do not watch it in 3D. I saw it in normal 2D and that's fine enough by me. I didn't see anything worth watching in 3D in it.

Overall rating: 68/100

Awesome movie!

Author: Safcinexile from Northern Ireland
26 April 2011

I saw this movie yesterday, cannot really add any more to the rest of the reviews below, apart from saying. Awesome film - 'nuf said true believer!

Thor has set the pace and raised the bar to how superhero movies should be. Captain America and The Avengers have a lot to live up to now. Like the reviewer below has already said I was bit sceptical about Chris Hemsworth being cast against Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman, need not have worried as held his own against the heavy weights!

Kenneth Branagh's directing was a beauty to behold, you could tell he knew his subject, especially how he manage to depict the beautiful looking Asgard. Loved his interpretation of the rainbow bridge.

Bring on The Avengers!

Thor-oughly entertaining

Author: dermot23 from Ireland
26 April 2011

after weeks of seeing trailers for this on TV, I finally got to see this last night at my local cinema. I love superhero movies, and this movie didn't let me down at all. I was Thor-oughly entertained from start to finish. this was different to other movies in the genre, it had a bit of everything,sci-fi, fantasy, action, comedy, drama. The acting was great, Chis hemsworth as Thor was perfect. he has a certain prescence on screen and oozes charisma.looked the part too, beefing up well for the role.For an Australian, he really nailed the medieval English accent required. he definitely has a future in film, i can see him playing a jason bourne type character in the future. Other top actors in the film played their parts well too. most notable Anthony Hopkins as Thors father Odin and Tom Hiddleston as Thors brother Loki. Natalie Portman was fine as scientist love interest Jane Foster, but all she had to do really was say her lines and look good, which she did great. the 3d effects in this movie also added to the entertainment. I thaught the effects were as good as avatar in places. certainly better than any other 3d film other than avatar. didn't take away from the action at all like in films such as Clash of the Titans, where the effects became blurry at times. the scenes in thors home realm Asdgard were especially good in 3d. I would definitely recommend seeing this in 3d if you have a choice.To sum up, fantastic summer superhero blockbuster that doesn't fail to entertain, had the potential to be really bad but wasn't at all. has all the elements that make a great summer blockbuster, superhero movie, go see it !!

fell into coma during this movie

Author: szigetimg from Hungary
17 September 2011

Similarly to Sir Anthony Hopkins, I spent almost all the 120 minutes in coma. Digital editing is so cheap, I have no idea how they managed to attract actual actors to a movie that may scare the hell out of children below the age of 4, but would clearly be a laughing stock to anyone above that age. The actor who makes a poor attempt to 'play' his role must be attractive to people with a room temperature IQ. Really funny stuff include his huge shiny hammer of a dumb name and all his friends of no character. There is no story development of any kind. Believe it or not, this is not the worst movie of the year, but the worst I have ever seen.

'Thor' is indeed almighty!

Author: carlkevad from Estonia
29 April 2011

Kenneth Branagh, the man who brought us Shakespearean masterpieces such as 'Hamlet' and 'Henry V', directs 'Thor', a marvelous summer-starter (even though there's still one month till summer begins).

'Thor' stars Chris Hemsworth, a relatively unknown actor, as, you guessed it, Thor. Now from the trailers, it seemed to me that this was going to be yet another wannabe superhero flick with kick ass special effects and fight scenes, lacking any depth, and starring a talentless six-pack. Well I was wrong. 'Thor' is probably Marvel's best film, and I'd even go as far as saying that it is the third best superhero film of all time (right behind Christopher Nolan's masterpieces).

The plot is as follows... Thor, the bloodthirsty warrior and heir, is banished from the eternal kingdom of Asgard by his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), after disobeying his command, to a distant realm... called Earth! Now he needs to get back, but his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), who was previously living in Thor's shadow, is proclaimed temporary king after his father collapses on a staircase, or something, and he doesn't want to let his cool brother back home, so Thor has to stay on Earth, with all the puny beings. He then falls in love with Jane (Natalie Portman), who is somewhat of a scientist, and changes his mind from "kill everybody who threatens my well-being" to "now wait a second, let's reason a bit here".

The movie's directed by Kenneth Branagh, the director of masterpieces such as 'Henry V', in which his also starred in, and received two Oscar nominations for both directing and acting. He may also be known to some as the goof-ball professor Gilderoy Lockhart from 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'. Here, he takes a break from acting, or producing, or writing, and just directs this masterpiece. Hollywood is really heading in the right direction with hiring artsy directors to direct explosion-explosion films. Another great example would be the upcoming 'Captain America: The First Avenger', directed by Joe Johnston, who brought us the very good coming-of-age story, 'October Sky'. I hope 'Captain America' is gonna be as good as 'Thor'. A part inside me somehow doesn't want it to be better, I don't why though.

Alongside Hemsworth, star Jane's friends Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård), and Darcy... something (Kat Dennings); Thor's friends Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Sif (Jaimie Alexander), and Fandral (Josh Dallas/Cary Elwes-lookalike); and the nosy SHIELD agent, Coulson (Clark Gregg). The ensemble cast all give great performances, which aren't meant for you to remember, aside from Ray Stevenson, who is always awesome.

The movie references a few other superhero films/comics, which is quite appropriate given the fact that 'The Avengers' movie is getting closer and closer. We can also see Jeremy Renner in a cameo probably as Hawkeye, he's also gonna play Hawkeye in 'The Avengers'. And, I didn't stay in the theater until the credits were over, but IMDb tells me that Samuel L. Jackson has a cameo after the credits as Nick Fury. - How exciting! I'm thinking of seeing it again just for that.

'Thor' is the second superhero film out this year so far. The previous one was 'The Green Hornet', which was just a horrible attempt at mixing comedy with action. 'The Green Hornet' was however the first 3-D superhero flick. 'Thor' is in 3-D too, but I'd rather go with 2-D on this one, since there are too many shiny lights in the Asgard scenes, which would make my brain explode with 3-D glasses on.

There are five superhero films in 2011, three of them are still unreleased. They are: the crappy '...Green Hornet'; the amazing 'Thor'; the comes-out-on-my-birthday 'X-Men: First Class'; the gonna-be-awesome 'Green Lantern; and my most anticipated film of the year, 'Captain America: The First Avenger'. I sincerely hope that they are all on the level of 'Thor'. I don't like repeating myself here, but something inside me forbids me from wanting the other films be better than 'Thor'. Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know.

'Thor's special effects are spectacular, and deserving a Best Visual Effects Oscar nomination. From the epic battle scenes between the almighty gods, to the amazing scenes in Asgard, 'Thor's special effects are probably the greatest ones I've seen since 'Avatar', yeah! Plus, 'Avatar' kinda sucked from the story perspective, and 'Thor' is good on every level, so 'Thor' > 'Avatar', that's probably gonna set a certain individual off, I hope.

Anyway... Under Branagh's gentle direction, 'Thor' is by far one of the best films of 2011, and right behind Nolan's Batmans as one of the greatest superhero films of all time, featuring a star-making turn by Chris Hemsworth - a Hollywood newcomer with a six-pack, and brains!

Rating: ★★★★

Comment on review here and sign up on my site: http://carlkevad.webs.com/apps/blog/show/6882606-the-god-of-thunder-

Entertaining, but by the book

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

The film opens in a realm and/or planet far removed from Earth and human existence. We're given a brief overview of the major events in its history and then we're introduced to its royal family battlefield conqueror, Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth). After disobeying his father, Odin (played by Anthony Hopkins) he is banished to Earth and stripped of his godlike abilities.

Enter Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). While studying anomalous events in the atmosphere under the guidance of her mentor Erik Selwig (Stellan Skarsgard) and with the not- so-able assistance of Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings), she bears witness to Thor's banishment or rather the tornado-like occurrence that made it possible. This intrigues Foster and after a brief period of reticence she hopes to offer help to Thor and, at the same time, elicit any information he might have that could help her in her work. All the while, turmoil in Thor's realm could potentially destroy both it and Earth.

I'd not seen Hemsworth before and while the part requires very little beyond physicality, he is adequate at least. The "earthlings", are good enough as are those from Thor's home planet and the story is about what I expect. It's not amazing, it's not awful. Basically, it's just a good time at the movies.

Thor is Mighty

Author: bling77 from Egypt
3 May 2011

Let me start off by thanking Marvel Studios, cast and crew. They made a wonderful adaptation of Thor. When I first read that they were making Thor, I never expected to see such an amazing comic based adaptation. The movie is mostly based in Asgard which they obviously worked very hard on the design and their hard work payed off. Thor might be bigger than most superhero movies.

The movie is very funny, I loved the humor in it. It's not very much dramatic and doesn't include much action which to me wasn't a disappointment because the writer obviously wanted to introduce Thor to watchers. They portrayed the origin in a very good way and the movie started with in an excellent way. The acting was spectacular, Tom Hiddleston just wowed me throughout the movie, Idriss Elba was perfect as Heimdall and the rest of the cast was excellent. Wardrobe was amazing, they didn't change much and didn't ruin anything for comic book fans.

I never expected to see such a movie that can actually take you to another "realm" and makes you believe its real. I suggest you see Thor, thank god Egypt had a early release date.

Thor is truly Mighty

Amazing film, great build up to the Avengers

Author: keemyb from United Kingdom
25 April 2011

Just came back from the theatres as the easter previews for the UK were on, and there's not much to criticise. There's no overpowering 3D effects here which is great, but because the glasses darken the image the first 10 or so minutes were a bit hard to see.

The story line was good, I don't know how much it parallels any of the source material but there are times when you think you know what's happening and when, but are pleasantly surprised.

As this is my first comment and I'm not sure what exactly constitutes a spoiler I will say one thing and that is to make sure, like many marvel films to pay respect to the film makers and stay till after the credits. Nick Fury makes an appearance as well as a seemingly forgotten cast member.

My family loved it.

Author: jasonater1983 from Wisconsin
19 May 2011

I didn't see it personally but my stepbrother and stepfather did and they invited me. Now I wish I would of went to see it. They had a lot of great things to say about it. And my stepfather said he would like to go back and see it again. And my stepfather doesn't like many movies of this generation. And my stepbrother is 12 and big into Marvel. From what I've heard I can't wait to buy on blue ray and watch it with my little stepbrother. I would recommend this to a family member or friend and I have not personally seen it yet myself. I will see if I can update this post when I have seen it. Being the God of thunder. The plot and story line sound pretty cool to me.

Thor Continues to Build Up the Momentum for The Avengers

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
2 May 2011

¨Whoever wields this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.¨ With Thor, summer movies have officially started in Hollywood. It's not one of my favorite seasons of the year for films, but if the rest of the movies can live up to what Kenneth Branagh has accomplished with Thor it will be an exciting and entertaining season at the movies. I wasn't a huge fan of Thor before this movie came out, I wasn't even expecting too much out of it, but I decided to go see it because he's still one of The Avengers and I couldn't miss out on all the propaganda that began with Iron Man. With each one of these films my expectations for The Avengers is rapidly building, and even Thor managed to win me over to his side. The first thing I can say about the movie is that it was entertaining enough for me to want to go see it twice in two days. The story, the visuals, the strong performance from two relatively unknown actors like Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston are all factors that contribute to making this movie successful. Include Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins into the mix and you have an even better film. The directing had a lot to do with it as well because Kenneth Branagh is a serious and dedicated director; he has proved it time after time with his adaptations of Shakespearean plays. He was dedicated with this project as well; adapted this Marvel comic superhero and prepared him for the big screen. Like most every Marvel character, they are very well developed and the film is no exception remaining true to the comic.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is the son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins) the god of Asgard. He is a great warrior and his father has been preparing him to be the future King of Asgard. It is no easy task because Asgardians are the keepers of the peace in all nine realms (Earth being one of those realms). They can travel from one realm to another through the Forest which is guarded by Heimdall (Idris Elba). Odin saved Earth from extinction many centuries ago when the Frost Giants tried to destroy the planet. Odin defeated them and took away their power so they could no longer leave their planet, Jotunheimr. Odin has kept the peace during all these years but now it's time to proclaim Thor as his heir to the throne. On the day of his proclamation something unexpected occurs and three Frost Giants manage to enter Asgard and almost steal the cube which holds their power. However The Destroyer does his job and kills the invaders before they can do any harm. Thor is furious and wants to give the Giants a lesson, but Odin wants to maintain peace and orders Thor to remain in Asgard. Against his father's command Thor travels to Jotunheimr with his younger brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), the 3 warriors: Volstagg, Hogun, and Fandral, and Sif (Jaime Alexander). Together they face the Giants who tell them there is a traitor in Asgard. Odin discovers that Thor disobeyed his command, rescues the warriors from the Frost Giants but vanishes Thor to Earth without his supernatural powers. In Earth Thor meets a group of scientists: Dr. Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard), Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), and Darcy (Kat Dennings) who help him rediscover his path.

I can imagine how difficult it was to try to make a serious movie out of all this Norse mythology about the nine realms and so on, but Branagh pulls it off by combining humor with the story. For instance when the three warriors come to Earth to find Thor, the unbelievable situation is toned down with a lot of humor. The same can be said with the Destroyer when he arrives at Earth to try to destroy Thor. When the SHIELD agents first see this metal giant they believe it could be one of Stark's creations. So whenever the plot seems to be getting ridiculous, the tone of the film is cooled down with a lot of humor. The funniest character is Darcy who with clever one-liners manages to steal most laughs. I liked Kat Dennings in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, but here once more she proves she is a talented actress. The true stars of the film however are Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston. Hemsworth plays Thor to perfection, and Hiddleston is excellent as Loki. The scene where he realizes his true identity is perhaps one of the most dramatic and best acted sequences in the movie. I know we are being bombarded with a lot of superhero movies, but as long as they keep on making them this entertaining I have no problem with that. Thor is no Dark Knight, or even Iron Man for that matter, but it still is a very good film. I will end my review by quoting my six year old brother's words after the movie ended: ¨I don't want to have an Iron Man party for my birthday anymore. I want it to be Thor!¨ http://estebueno10.blogspot.com/