IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 73: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Entertaining, but by the book

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

The film opens in a realm and/or planet far removed from Earth and human existence. We're given a brief overview of the major events in its history and then we're introduced to its royal family battlefield conqueror, Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth). After disobeying his father, Odin (played by Anthony Hopkins) he is banished to Earth and stripped of his godlike abilities.

Enter Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). While studying anomalous events in the atmosphere under the guidance of her mentor Erik Selwig (Stellan Skarsgard) and with the not- so-able assistance of Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings), she bears witness to Thor's banishment or rather the tornado-like occurrence that made it possible. This intrigues Foster and after a brief period of reticence she hopes to offer help to Thor and, at the same time, elicit any information he might have that could help her in her work. All the while, turmoil in Thor's realm could potentially destroy both it and Earth.

I'd not seen Hemsworth before and while the part requires very little beyond physicality, he is adequate at least. The "earthlings", are good enough as are those from Thor's home planet and the story is about what I expect. It's not amazing, it's not awful. Basically, it's just a good time at the movies.

Beyond belief

Author: John Broughton from This world (Earth)
7 September 2011

To paraphrase wisdom from Talmud: 'Without the ability to forget, man would live in a permanent, paralyzing fear of death.'

I am grateful human being can forget. If not, I would have paralyzing fear of watching another movie, ever again, scared that it might be as bad as this one. Which is probably impossible, but anyway...I am an optimist here...or pessimist, not sure...

If I wasn't clear enough: the movie is bad. If you want to watch super hero movie with (as Thor now has) 7.3 stars, go watch Bolt. Bolt will make you smile, at least.

IMDb wants the reviews to be 10 lines at least, so I must write some more. Here it comes:

Actors: 1) Thor guy was actually pretty good. I was surprised to see him decently convincing in different moods, but the script didn't give him a chance. 2) Natalie Portman - I mean, I love her, really I do, but this was ridiculous. 3) Stellan Skarsgård – I liked him. Not sure anymore. 4) Sir Anthony – he is a great guy, really. In this movie? Well…

To be fair to the actors, screenplay was catastrophic. I guess no one could survive this one.

Kenneth Branagh was the director. I stopped liking that guy after he broke up with Emma Thompson. This movie was just a confirmation that I wasn't wrong.

Good luck and don't watch this. Go ride a bicycle. Or rent some good movie.

Agree With the Critics... GREAT Film!

Author: Elle from United States
14 June 2011

Now everyone can see why they cast Hemsworth. He's perfect because he certainly fits the part physically but, more importantly, he's able to play Thor both as a mighty pompous loose canon as well as being a big lovable "god out of water" unable to adjust to human ways. Both are absolutely crucial to the character winning audiences over, especially those who may not be familiar with the character from comics. Hemsworth and the script does this with style. I also love the texture of this film. Example: The power struggle within Asgard between Thor and his brother and Thor and his father, Odin. It feels very relatable and very passionate. Their passion and rivalry was something anyone can absolutely relate to in their own lives.

No wonder all the big time critics love this movie (Travers, Roeper, Joyce, Maltese, etc) It's amazing! I can't wait to see it again! Thor is a magnificent thrill ride that even the most cynical viewer or critic will realize delivers a fantastic and fantastical reason to make the trip to the cinema. That's why even the jaded or cynical critics wanting to hate on yet "another comic book film" can't bring themselves to hate it. Those watching with an open mind will absolutely adore this film. Once seen, it's easy to see why critics are basically in agreement regardless of their previous dispossession. As good of a summer movie that's been released in years.

Thor Delivers a Mighty Blow with a fantastic film

Author: LDSmith92 from Canada
26 May 2011

The Asgardian God finally hits the big screen with the movie adaptation of Stan Lee's comic book series "THOR." Directed by Kenneth Branagh and starring Chris Hemsworth as the mighty Thor, does this movie strike gold with the powerful Mjolnir or does it fail to live up to the Marvel's iconic name and fan expectations.

I was very excited when I heard that Thor was coming out with a movie adaptation, since Thor has been my favourite superhero for many years. I was expecting a decent superhero along with those of 2008's Incredible Hulk, but what I did not expect was this movie to easily become my superhero movie to date. All elements of this film are well-balance, nothing seems to overwhelming. There's just the right amount of action, comedy, and a romance story between Thor and Jane Foster wasn't to over the top but was still very effective in the end.

The acting in this film is no less then top notch, every actor was able to bring there characters to life no matter how much or little screen time they got.. Chris Hemsworth as the hammer-wielding Thor was remarkable. Not having seen \Chris in any other film then Star Trek I was amazed at how he was able to carry the film on his shoulders as the main character. Natalie Portman's supporting role as physicist and Thor's love interest Jane Foster truly brings the human-world connection to this fantasy setting. Anthony Hopkins brings another legendary performance as Odin, showing great emotions through every line he had. The highlight of this film would have to be Tom Hiddleston performance as the God of Mischief and Thor adoptive brother Loki. He is able to make you feel sorry for Loki through his performance even though he is this evil, maniacal, villain.

"Spoilers!"

A great scenes of his is a conversation turned argument over Loki's truly being a frost giant offspring and realizing that he was adopted by Odin after the war against the Frost Giants. END SPOILERS

And of course Stan Lee has to make a cameo appearance, and he probably makes his best one yet.

THOR demonstrates exactly what a superhero adaptation needs to be. It's not hard to recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of superhero films and anyone who wants to see a very fun adventure. This film is making me very excited for the Avengers film. I hope the Avengers is this well made when it comes out.

Disappointed...

Author: xxdoubleOxx from United States
17 May 2011

I really don't know what these people are thinking when they say this was a great adaptation. OBVIOUSLY, they don't know enough about the character Thor. This was a horrible adaptation. But lets start with what was good I suppose.

Costumes and graphics were on point. But with technology today it was absolutely nothing special. The imagination of the director was really impressive though (at least with look of Asgard). Other than that, everything was pretty... ehhhh....

One thing that really got on my nerves was the downplay on Thor's intelligence. They made him seem dumb. He was pretty much the Incredible Hulk that could speak perfectly. But it was really inconsistent with the story. He understands the concepts of magic and science on earth AND makes it obvious that where he comes from they are one and the same. YET, it seemed more like he came from a time preceding that of present day earth. He reminded me of those role playing "Renaissance people" who take the job TOO seriously.

Then you have Loki, who walks in and manipulates everything and knows everything it seems. He's many steps ahead of humans and even those in Asgard. I understand its his role to be mischievous BUT his intelligence is MUCH MUCH higher than Thor, who as I said seemed like he was dumber than the humans around him.

I can go on, but the other thing that disappointed me the most about Thor was the DOWNPLAY of his powers! He's the GOD OF THUNDER and in terms of strength, arguably the MOST POWERFUL of all Avengers/Marvel characters. After watching the movie, if I had to make a comparison, SUPERMAN would PWN the S&%* out of him. Though I didn't exactly LOVE the last superman movie, the capabilities of Superman seemed endless! That's probably what disappointed me the most about the movie. Thor is capable of MUCH more and as my favorite character of Marvel, this was nothing as I expected!

only watch if you are 10 or with the IQ of a ten year old

Author: katagorie from United Kingdom
17 May 2011

OK.i went to see this with an open mind, i'm a scfi fan and i do usually enjoy these types of films but enough is enough. the special effects and cgi look good and are quite impressive. BUT, seriously, if you aren't a 10yr old kid who hasn't seen a movie before how in the name of the film gods can you watch this show without cringing every 2 minutes. the acting is shockingly bad. the script laughable. the characters tired cliché's. the story arc so poor, so so poor i actually found myself laughing at how obvious and simple it was yet still woeful.and this is with 5 writers??? what is brannagh at??? go back to the stage you fool. this should come with a new age certificate. anyone over 10 should not be allowed to see this. even then i wouldn't recommend this for a kid. there are far far better shows out there without reverting to this mindless drivel. i feel violated after having to sit through this.

Marvel does it again

Author: tomgillespie2002 from United Kingdom
7 May 2011

As Marvel's mega-budget Avengers film draws ever closer, the stand-alone origin films are slowly coming to an end. Only Captain America, starring Chris Evans, remains to be released. So Thor arrives, amidst a worry that a portrait of the God of Thunder arriving on Earth after being banished from his kingdom in the sky may look a bit silly, especially when played by actors rather than drawings in a comic-book. But Marvel's track record has been good so far, and even very good, in the case of the first Iron Man film. Their left-wing choices for both actors and directors, and bold decisions have made for interesting viewing, and it's no different here.

King of Asgard, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), sits proud on his throne after defeating the Frost Giants of Jotumheim and bringing peace to the Nine Realms. He has two strong warrior sons, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston), one of which will eventually succeed him. But when Asgard is breached by Frost Giants trying to take back their precious Casket of Ancient Winters, seized by Odin, Thor invades Jotumheim with a small band of warriors including Loki, and starts a new war. Odin, livid with Thor's defiance, banishes him to Earth and takes away his all- powerful hammer Mjolnir, deeming him unworthy. When he arrives on Earth, confused and powerless, he is taken in by a scientist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), while Mjolnir sits in the desert, moulded to a rock, awaiting the touch of someone worthy of it. Meanwhile, back on Asgard, war is afoot and Odin lies near-death, while Loki starts to act suspiciously.

This may all seem ridiculous and silly, and it is. The opening ten minutes, which condenses the history of Asgard and its war with the Frost Giants, is a confusing and silly blur of CGI and narration. My hopes of another Marvel triumph were somewhat dashed, but thankfully, with the arrival of Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and a bit of character development, the film started to become the enjoyable romp that it is.

Marvel's choice for Thor, Chris Hemsworth, whose CV consisted of a main character in Australian soap Home And Away, and a cameo as Captain Kirk's dad in the Star Trek reboot, is a stroke of genius. He has the charm, acting chops, comic timing, the physical presence to actually convince as a God. He was born to play this role, it seems. He juggles between irresponsible, immature and arrogant in the first half, to show off his skills as an action hero you can truly root for in the second. And when the film calls for him to play the fool, he pulls that off too.

The choice for Kenneth Branagh to take the directing reigns was a strange one. A director who is most at home directing literature, namely Shakespeare, would not have been my first choice to direct a blockbuster that could easily go tits-up if mishandled. Yet Branagh handles the duties with a natural flair and confidence. The film goes back and forth from Thor's growing humanity on Earth and his relationship with Portman, to Loki's evil plotting on Asgard without ever losing focus of the story at hand or the large collection of characters.

Overall, this is just a fun film, never taking itself too seriously, yet always maintaining a respect for the source material. The undoubted star to emerge from the film is Hemsworth, who I'm sure will go on to have a successful career. I'll be looking forward to see his character again in the Avengers film, which arrives sometime in 2012. Special mention should also go to Tom Hiddleston, who arrives from the London stage after winning several awards to play a menacing and pleasingly complex villain.

www.the-wrath-of-blog.blogspot.com

Excellent Marvel Film.

Author: trippy90 from United Kingdom
30 April 2011

I went to see Thor on 28th april and i was very impressed with it. The effects were great and the actors/actresses did a good job. The romance was not to cheesy either.

Thor is a good film to watch if your looking for something that will entertain you. I think it was just as good as Iron Man. I haven't read the comic so i cant say whether it was like it but i enjoyed it personally. Some of the scenes were visually amazing. The fight scenes were very good as well.

I am a fan of most marvel films so this one did not disappoint. I felt the film told you enough of the story as well. I will definitely be buying this on DVD when it comes out. Stay for after the credits as well.

Id give Thor 8.5 or 9/10.

A spectacular film that every superhero film should strive to be

Author: chrismsawin from United States
7 May 2011

Superhero films are pretty much guaranteed to make a killing at the box office. It's mostly due to high anticipation, but also due to the fact that most studios seem to have been able to iron out the kinks over the years which lead to most of these films doing their source material justice while also just being great films in general. It hasn't always been that way though. Elektra and Punisher: War Zone practically bombed while films like X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine resulted in more fans distancing themselves from the franchise rather than embracing it. With Marvel banking so much on The Avengers being not only a huge accumulation of characters that fans love but also an amazing assembly of talent, Thor is a film that pretty much had to be good to gain momentum for what was just over the horizon. Before I gave up being a full-time comic book nerd, I never really thought much of Thor. So I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this. I wasn't overly excited for the film even though it looked fairly incredible, but luckily Thor was able to offer a magnificent spectacle that all superhero films should strive to be.

Thor still has that same atmosphere that any of the Marvel films since Iron Man have had, but at the same time seems to offer something that those films couldn't. A lot of it probably has to do with Asgard. This heavenly realm is unlike anything you've ever seen before and the special effects in the film are done well enough to be equally as impressive as Pandora in Avatar. Asgard is this spectacular kingdom in the sky that is incredibly extravagant and painted with gold. It's just breathtaking how well Thor was able to pull something like that off.

The cast is really phenomenal, as well. Chris Hemsworth is a really solid choice for Thor. His height, his build, the way he carries himself, along with his facial expressions are just as vital to how Thor is portrayed as his appearance and his dialogue. Hemsworth nails it; all of it. Tom Hiddleston was also a scene stealer. Loki is a guy you know is up to no good right from the start, but Hiddleston portrays his underhanded deeds to perfection. Throw in the intensity he utilizes in the second half of the film and Loki turns out to be a villain you're going to crave to see more of. Anthony Hopkins deserves a mention, as well. Many of Hopkins' recent roles have been lacking that special something that made many of his most popular roles so great. He was a fantastic choice for Odin though. He reminds you why you considered him so talented in the first place. The only nitpick I have is that both Natalie Portman and Tadanobu Asano were a little disappointing and I was expecting more from them. Portman doesn't really do much besides look pretty and Tadanobu's Hogun just deserved a little more screen time. I'm a huge fan of just about every Tadanobu Asano film out there though, so that could just be the fanboy in me talking.

Thor may be the loudest film I've ever seen in theaters. The film is mostly action to begin with, so it's guaranteed to be loud. But it just seemed louder than usual, especially any scene involving The Destroyer. That's not a bad thing; not at all. I'd rather have a film be too loud than too quiet any day.

Thor is an extravagant looking film dripping with spellbinding special effects, a fantastic cast overflowing with talent, and a captivating story that holds your interest from beginning to end. Thor has enough character development to introduce new characters while also leaving enough room to expand on their origins in the forthcoming sequels you'll be itching for by the time you see Thor swing Mjolnir for the last time. The superhero spectacular also offers a fair amount of heart amongst its waves of depth while also delivering incredibly loud and explosive action sequences. Words almost don't seem to do the film justice. Thor is imaginative, charming, and the definition of what an introductory superhero film should be. It could arguably be the best Marvel film to date.

A surprisingly great film

Author: franhevi
30 April 2011

I thought the character of Thor would make a ridiculous lousy film but, surprisingly for good, Branagh applies his shakespearean expertise to deliver a great story beautifully told.

There's a couple of cheesy lines but I guess they're needed to appeal to a younger audience. Action sequences are just great, seeing Thor fight is a thrill.

If you're a Marvel fan, keep your eyes open for tons of easter eggs. Nerdgasm.

I wouldn't recommend watching it in 3D, by the way. Not worth it.

---SPOILER ALERT---

There's a reference to Bruce Banner in the film. When it happened I instantly thought of Ed Norton; I'm not sure if building all this expectation and then showing the audience a Dr. Banner with a different face will work. Still looking forward to The Avengers, though.