IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 74: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Thor - 5/10 Hollywood. Still waiting to be impressed.

Author: artistofthemind from United States
11 May 2011

As the first installment of the upcoming Avengers movie, Thor was said to be one of the first great hits of the summer. The trailer is edited with just the right amount of action, humor, and dramatic moments. I try to give Hollywood the benefit of the doubt when it comes to showing all the best parts in the trailer, but recently they have been letting me down. The 3D was incredible, even though it was post-converted, but it was easy enough due to the fact that all the shots of Asgard (Thor's home world) were CG, and fifty percent of the movie was that. Still, props to this one - it's one of the first live-action movies to *almost* pull off the 3D.

But still, this movie lacked. There were three holes in it that, from an artist's point of view, cannot be overlooked. A relationship that motivates a character, that is his driving force, and creates the ending as a byproduct, needs to be developed. Not thrown together, not seen as "He's Thor! And that's Natalie Portman, of course it would happen!" Terrible excuse, Hollywood. A romance that permeates a story like that cannot be put on a back-burner. Secondly, in a movie that is supposed to be epic enough to draw the audience back for Captain America and all these other Avengers movies, well, rule number one; your biggest battle cannot be in the first fifteen minutes. And last of all, if you're going to make these basic formulaic mistakes in making a movie...at least have the heart to make your music halfway decent.

I have been jumped all over by the people I work with at the theater for not liking this movie. Granted, these are the people that loved Green Hornet, but that is for another day. Still, they believe Thor to be an excellent movie (even watching it in 2D...they don't like 3D) to such an extent that I am seen as insane not to like this. Strange, I think I heard that after Green Hornet as well. The truth is, I view movies as an art form, not just entertainment. I have the respect for my fellow artists not to expect anything but the best of them. So far, Hollywood is proving me wrong.

Kenneth Branagh adds heavy dramatic depth to an already quite-unusual superhero flick

Author: dvc5159 from Penang, Malaysia / Chicago, USA
6 May 2011

Alright, back when this was into preproduction, I (and so many comic book fans) were surprised when Branagh was slated to direct. Here we have Thor the god of lightning and his mighty hammer, directed by a man who works mostly around William Shakespeare plays.

Thankfully, this helps. A lot.

Almost every superhero movie (Marvel, lately) focuses on more action instead of character development. Sure, they may look awesome, but you get used to it. Branagh bravely steers away from this predicament and directs the actors with such skill and flair you may mistake this film for yet another Branagh/Shakespeare costume epic.

Make no mistake this is still a superhero film, with some nice special effects and a stylish production design for Asgard, but there's a nice human twist to the story - that of dueling brothers, or gods, or god- brothers... you get the idea. Chris Hemsworth looks just about right for the part and shows some charisma as well as the hero. Branagh has assembled an interesting mix of actors - we have the great Anthony Hopkins, the cute Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard, Kat Dennings, Idris Elba and even Rene Russo. Tom Hiddleston however steals the scene as the mischievous brother Loki.

Here's another good thing about the movie - the story and acting outweigh the special effects and action sequences. For a superhero film, this is extremely rare. Branagh deserves kudos for the effort, however some parts do not gel in nicely and there's some action bits that are not too well-filmed.

All is forgiven though - "Thor" is an above-average superhero movie, not extremely exciting, but definitely intriguing. Fans of both comic book films and costume dramas will certainly enjoy this.

Two words of caution - one, keep an eye out for some cameos, both during and after the film. Two, for goodness sake do not watch it in 3D. I saw it in normal 2D and that's fine enough by me. I didn't see anything worth watching in 3D in it.

Overall rating: 68/100

Awesome movie!

Author: Safcinexile from Northern Ireland
26 April 2011

I saw this movie yesterday, cannot really add any more to the rest of the reviews below, apart from saying. Awesome film - 'nuf said true believer!

Thor has set the pace and raised the bar to how superhero movies should be. Captain America and The Avengers have a lot to live up to now. Like the reviewer below has already said I was bit sceptical about Chris Hemsworth being cast against Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman, need not have worried as held his own against the heavy weights!

Kenneth Branagh's directing was a beauty to behold, you could tell he knew his subject, especially how he manage to depict the beautiful looking Asgard. Loved his interpretation of the rainbow bridge.

Bring on The Avengers!

Thor-oughly entertaining

Author: dermot23 from Ireland
26 April 2011

after weeks of seeing trailers for this on TV, I finally got to see this last night at my local cinema. I love superhero movies, and this movie didn't let me down at all. I was Thor-oughly entertained from start to finish. this was different to other movies in the genre, it had a bit of everything,sci-fi, fantasy, action, comedy, drama. The acting was great, Chis hemsworth as Thor was perfect. he has a certain prescence on screen and oozes charisma.looked the part too, beefing up well for the role.For an Australian, he really nailed the medieval English accent required. he definitely has a future in film, i can see him playing a jason bourne type character in the future. Other top actors in the film played their parts well too. most notable Anthony Hopkins as Thors father Odin and Tom Hiddleston as Thors brother Loki. Natalie Portman was fine as scientist love interest Jane Foster, but all she had to do really was say her lines and look good, which she did great. the 3d effects in this movie also added to the entertainment. I thaught the effects were as good as avatar in places. certainly better than any other 3d film other than avatar. didn't take away from the action at all like in films such as Clash of the Titans, where the effects became blurry at times. the scenes in thors home realm Asdgard were especially good in 3d. I would definitely recommend seeing this in 3d if you have a choice.To sum up, fantastic summer superhero blockbuster that doesn't fail to entertain, had the potential to be really bad but wasn't at all. has all the elements that make a great summer blockbuster, superhero movie, go see it !!

fell into coma during this movie

Author: szigetimg from Hungary
17 September 2011

Similarly to Sir Anthony Hopkins, I spent almost all the 120 minutes in coma. Digital editing is so cheap, I have no idea how they managed to attract actual actors to a movie that may scare the hell out of children below the age of 4, but would clearly be a laughing stock to anyone above that age. The actor who makes a poor attempt to 'play' his role must be attractive to people with a room temperature IQ. Really funny stuff include his huge shiny hammer of a dumb name and all his friends of no character. There is no story development of any kind. Believe it or not, this is not the worst movie of the year, but the worst I have ever seen.

'Thor' is indeed almighty!

Author: carlkevad from Estonia
29 April 2011

Kenneth Branagh, the man who brought us Shakespearean masterpieces such as 'Hamlet' and 'Henry V', directs 'Thor', a marvelous summer-starter (even though there's still one month till summer begins).

'Thor' stars Chris Hemsworth, a relatively unknown actor, as, you guessed it, Thor. Now from the trailers, it seemed to me that this was going to be yet another wannabe superhero flick with kick ass special effects and fight scenes, lacking any depth, and starring a talentless six-pack. Well I was wrong. 'Thor' is probably Marvel's best film, and I'd even go as far as saying that it is the third best superhero film of all time (right behind Christopher Nolan's masterpieces).

The plot is as follows... Thor, the bloodthirsty warrior and heir, is banished from the eternal kingdom of Asgard by his father, Odin (Anthony Hopkins), after disobeying his command, to a distant realm... called Earth! Now he needs to get back, but his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), who was previously living in Thor's shadow, is proclaimed temporary king after his father collapses on a staircase, or something, and he doesn't want to let his cool brother back home, so Thor has to stay on Earth, with all the puny beings. He then falls in love with Jane (Natalie Portman), who is somewhat of a scientist, and changes his mind from "kill everybody who threatens my well-being" to "now wait a second, let's reason a bit here".

The movie's directed by Kenneth Branagh, the director of masterpieces such as 'Henry V', in which his also starred in, and received two Oscar nominations for both directing and acting. He may also be known to some as the goof-ball professor Gilderoy Lockhart from 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets'. Here, he takes a break from acting, or producing, or writing, and just directs this masterpiece. Hollywood is really heading in the right direction with hiring artsy directors to direct explosion-explosion films. Another great example would be the upcoming 'Captain America: The First Avenger', directed by Joe Johnston, who brought us the very good coming-of-age story, 'October Sky'. I hope 'Captain America' is gonna be as good as 'Thor'. A part inside me somehow doesn't want it to be better, I don't why though.

Alongside Hemsworth, star Jane's friends Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård), and Darcy... something (Kat Dennings); Thor's friends Volstagg (Ray Stevenson), Sif (Jaimie Alexander), and Fandral (Josh Dallas/Cary Elwes-lookalike); and the nosy SHIELD agent, Coulson (Clark Gregg). The ensemble cast all give great performances, which aren't meant for you to remember, aside from Ray Stevenson, who is always awesome.

The movie references a few other superhero films/comics, which is quite appropriate given the fact that 'The Avengers' movie is getting closer and closer. We can also see Jeremy Renner in a cameo probably as Hawkeye, he's also gonna play Hawkeye in 'The Avengers'. And, I didn't stay in the theater until the credits were over, but IMDb tells me that Samuel L. Jackson has a cameo after the credits as Nick Fury. - How exciting! I'm thinking of seeing it again just for that.

'Thor' is the second superhero film out this year so far. The previous one was 'The Green Hornet', which was just a horrible attempt at mixing comedy with action. 'The Green Hornet' was however the first 3-D superhero flick. 'Thor' is in 3-D too, but I'd rather go with 2-D on this one, since there are too many shiny lights in the Asgard scenes, which would make my brain explode with 3-D glasses on.

There are five superhero films in 2011, three of them are still unreleased. They are: the crappy '...Green Hornet'; the amazing 'Thor'; the comes-out-on-my-birthday 'X-Men: First Class'; the gonna-be-awesome 'Green Lantern; and my most anticipated film of the year, 'Captain America: The First Avenger'. I sincerely hope that they are all on the level of 'Thor'. I don't like repeating myself here, but something inside me forbids me from wanting the other films be better than 'Thor'. Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know.

'Thor's special effects are spectacular, and deserving a Best Visual Effects Oscar nomination. From the epic battle scenes between the almighty gods, to the amazing scenes in Asgard, 'Thor's special effects are probably the greatest ones I've seen since 'Avatar', yeah! Plus, 'Avatar' kinda sucked from the story perspective, and 'Thor' is good on every level, so 'Thor' > 'Avatar', that's probably gonna set a certain individual off, I hope.

Anyway... Under Branagh's gentle direction, 'Thor' is by far one of the best films of 2011, and right behind Nolan's Batmans as one of the greatest superhero films of all time, featuring a star-making turn by Chris Hemsworth - a Hollywood newcomer with a six-pack, and brains!

Rating: ★★★★

Comment on review here and sign up on my site: http://carlkevad.webs.com/apps/blog/show/6882606-the-god-of-thunder-

Shite

Author: hannesragnar from Sweden
1 September 2011

Heimdallr is black. Huginn and Muninn are missing. Bifröst is made out of rainbow not some sparkly glass. Heimdallr is missing his horn, and gold teeth. Why does he turn his head all the time as if he sees those he's speaking with? I mean the lad is blind. And what's up with the Asian fella? It's Norse mythology not Asian or African, not being racist or anything but the Norse gods really aren't meant to be black or yellow.

But then again if you've never bothered reading anything about the Norse mythology and don't really care and just want to see a action movie go ahead and watch this Hollywood version of Norse mythology.

I do realize it's based on Marvel's comics about Thor but it still doesn't make up for how wrong everything in Asgard or Jotunheim looks, not that I've been there, but it just doesn't look right to me.

Entertaining, but by the book

Author: Treyroo from Saratoga Springs, NY
24 November 2012

The film opens in a realm and/or planet far removed from Earth and human existence. We're given a brief overview of the major events in its history and then we're introduced to its royal family battlefield conqueror, Thor (played by Chris Hemsworth). After disobeying his father, Odin (played by Anthony Hopkins) he is banished to Earth and stripped of his godlike abilities.

Enter Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). While studying anomalous events in the atmosphere under the guidance of her mentor Erik Selwig (Stellan Skarsgard) and with the not- so-able assistance of Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings), she bears witness to Thor's banishment or rather the tornado-like occurrence that made it possible. This intrigues Foster and after a brief period of reticence she hopes to offer help to Thor and, at the same time, elicit any information he might have that could help her in her work. All the while, turmoil in Thor's realm could potentially destroy both it and Earth.

I'd not seen Hemsworth before and while the part requires very little beyond physicality, he is adequate at least. The "earthlings", are good enough as are those from Thor's home planet and the story is about what I expect. It's not amazing, it's not awful. Basically, it's just a good time at the movies.

Beyond belief

Author: John Broughton from This world (Earth)
7 September 2011

To paraphrase wisdom from Talmud: 'Without the ability to forget, man would live in a permanent, paralyzing fear of death.'

I am grateful human being can forget. If not, I would have paralyzing fear of watching another movie, ever again, scared that it might be as bad as this one. Which is probably impossible, but anyway...I am an optimist here...or pessimist, not sure...

If I wasn't clear enough: the movie is bad. If you want to watch super hero movie with (as Thor now has) 7.3 stars, go watch Bolt. Bolt will make you smile, at least.

IMDb wants the reviews to be 10 lines at least, so I must write some more. Here it comes:

Actors: 1) Thor guy was actually pretty good. I was surprised to see him decently convincing in different moods, but the script didn't give him a chance. 2) Natalie Portman - I mean, I love her, really I do, but this was ridiculous. 3) Stellan Skarsgård – I liked him. Not sure anymore. 4) Sir Anthony – he is a great guy, really. In this movie? Well…

To be fair to the actors, screenplay was catastrophic. I guess no one could survive this one.

Kenneth Branagh was the director. I stopped liking that guy after he broke up with Emma Thompson. This movie was just a confirmation that I wasn't wrong.

Good luck and don't watch this. Go ride a bicycle. Or rent some good movie.

Agree With the Critics... GREAT Film!

Author: Elle from United States
14 June 2011

Now everyone can see why they cast Hemsworth. He's perfect because he certainly fits the part physically but, more importantly, he's able to play Thor both as a mighty pompous loose canon as well as being a big lovable "god out of water" unable to adjust to human ways. Both are absolutely crucial to the character winning audiences over, especially those who may not be familiar with the character from comics. Hemsworth and the script does this with style. I also love the texture of this film. Example: The power struggle within Asgard between Thor and his brother and Thor and his father, Odin. It feels very relatable and very passionate. Their passion and rivalry was something anyone can absolutely relate to in their own lives.

No wonder all the big time critics love this movie (Travers, Roeper, Joyce, Maltese, etc) It's amazing! I can't wait to see it again! Thor is a magnificent thrill ride that even the most cynical viewer or critic will realize delivers a fantastic and fantastical reason to make the trip to the cinema. That's why even the jaded or cynical critics wanting to hate on yet "another comic book film" can't bring themselves to hate it. Those watching with an open mind will absolutely adore this film. Once seen, it's easy to see why critics are basically in agreement regardless of their previous dispossession. As good of a summer movie that's been released in years.