IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 74: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Surprisingly Good

Author: gavin6942 from United States
12 May 2012

The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.

I have enjoyed Thor as a supporting and humorous character in the past -- both in "Adventures in Babysitting" and one of the early Hulk movies. But I was never convinced he could be the leading character... his story is a strange one outside of Norse mythology.

But here, I think it worked. For me, the biggest concern is how do you reconcile Thor being a god with the other gods of the world? For Christians, there is only one god, so calling Thor a god calls everything into question (in the Marvel Universe). But they made it work here by strongly suggesting he is not, in fact, a god, but was merely seen as one by the old Norse people because his strength was so superior to theirs. Nice save.

Thor-oughly entertained by this one

Author: big_ryan15 from Australia
27 April 2011

I have to admit, i had low expectations for this adaptation. Hulk yeah sure, Iron man, why not, Captain America, its set in the real word of course it'll work. But THOR? A wildly fantastical tale of Norse Gods and Rainbow bridges and nicknamed hammers ?? Surely not! Ill stop with the bashing; this film is astonishing. The oddest thing has happened here. Coupling notoriously artsy director Kenneth Branagh with one of Marvels most theatrical characters was a stroke of genius. At the beginning of the film, we are quickly introduced to Jane Foster, her whimsical offsider and an older gentleman. Storm chasers aren't normally this clever you might think to yourself during this opening scene, but alas, they are revealed to actually be physicists after a few minutes. An incredible storm arrives and THOR HAS LANDED: or so you would think. Mere moments after being introduced to our title character we are thrust on an astrological journey to Asgard, land of gods. Here we are introduced to Odin, the all father and his 2 young boys; Loki and Thor. Odin recites stories of an ancient war in which a planet load of frost giants planned to destroy the realm of Midgard (earth) before Odin and his merry men stepped in to save humanity. It is during this scene we are first shown Thor's arrogance and thirst for war. Skip ahead a few years and THOR has become Asgard's mightiest warrior, just as Odin had foretold. A celebration is occurring, Thor is about to be crowned as king of Asgard, but alas... this glorious day is interrupted by none other than said FrostGiants attempting to steal a stolen heirloom from Asgard's weapons locker.. The story rapidly gains traction from here. Thor marches into the Frost Giants planet (against his fathers will) in all his Aussie glory, kicking ass and taking names. He and his friends become swiftly over powered and Odin is left no choice but to step in. An argument erupts in which Odin tells Thor of his assholness and douchebaggery and that he is no longer worthy of his giant hammer Mjolnir or his god of Thunder status. Cast down to Earth the audience is reunited with the opening scene and we are officially filled in. A bevy of comedic scenes follow in which Chris hemsworth's THOR is tranquillised and run over multiple times. The film transitions backwards and forwards between our world and that of Asgard so as to keep us informed on going ons. Odin goes into a coma and Thor's mischievous bro Loki starts to come into his own. A marvellous story unfolds filled with action, humour, heartache and a whole heap of awesome!! Branagh's eye for curious shots is on full show here and works fabulously in creating a beautifully surreal Asgard. The films close is a little rushed but is also very heartfelt and strong. Leaving plenty of room for more character development, THOR is as good as if not better than every comic film to date, the characters were superbly cast and played and the story follows as close as it can to the source material as it can without being too over the top. Spectacularly fun movie, worthy of the Marvel name tag and certainly a sequel. 10 out of 10 for performance and entertainment....

Make sure to stay after the credits for the Captain America nod.

Entertaining Adventure

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 September 2011

In 965 D.C., in Tornsberg, Norway, the Frost Giants from Jotunheim led by King Laufey (Colm Feore) attack the locals, and the Allfather Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and the warriors of Asgard protect the humans and win the battle against the invaders. They take their source of power and bring it to Asgard and they start an armistice with Jotunheim.

When three Frost Giants break in Asgard trying to retrieve their source of power, they are destroyed by the Destroyer. The arrogant Thor (Chris Hemsworth) decides to attack Jotunheim with his stepbrother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and four Asgardian warriors and disobeys the order of his father Odin. In order to avoid war against Jotunheim, Odin removes the powers of Thor and exiles him on Earth to live among the humans. Odin also throws his hammer Mjölnir to New Mexico and orders that only the one that is worth will get the powerful hammer and achieve Thor's powers.

In Puente Antigo, New Mexico, the physician Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) is researching a phenomenon in the desert with her professor Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and her mate Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings). Out of the blue, Thor is hit by Jane's truck and she takes him to the hospital. Thor unsuccessfully tries to retrieve Mjölnir that is protected by agents of the government SHIELD. When the Machiavellian Loki sends the Destroyer to Earth to kill Thor, he needs to retrieve his hammer to save not only the humans, but also his Allfather Odin and Asgard from the evil Loki.

"Thor" is an entertaining adventure based on the character of the comic book published by Marvel Comics. Natalie Portman is usually the synonym of a good movie and she is delightful in the role of a scientist. The plot is funny and the scenes with the human Thor; the Nordic black gatekeeper Heimdall (Idris Elba); and the Vikings and Gods speaking in English are hilarious. The special effects are top-notch and the viewer may bring the popcorn and delight with a pleasant family entertainment. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Thor"

I really don't understand all the positive feedback for this film

Author: jprslattery from United Kingdom
21 May 2011

This film was one of the most tedious experiences of my life. I enjoy a good cheesy action film like the next guy and was genuinely looking forward to a mindless 90 minutes of fun. What I actually experienced was self important, overly buff, lord of the rings reject extras spouting some of the worst lines in film history. How Natalie Portman, let alone Stellen Skarsgard, got roped into this I will never know. Repetitive actions scenes, awful editing that cut the middle of conversations and light humour from Thors friends (puke) and the terrible Kat Dennings made for a challenging viewing experience all round. Where Iron Man went so right with its self depricating humour and quick wit Thor has languid scenes, flacid romance and wooden character interaction.

The picture lacks a decent development of storyline and character which is always difficult when introducing a character with a deep backstory but it has been done so well recently with Batman Begins et al. There is a definite smell of studio meddling in the final cut with some scenes jumping all over the place. Loki (Tom Hiddleson) changes from loyal brother/Son to evil traitor with no story or character development. Anthony Hopkins spends most of the film in a coma. Chris Hemsworth can't be to blame for a film which seems over produced, over edited and that was marketed as Return of the King but was more Masters of the Universe. The decision to assign 'Ice Giants' (yes Ice Giants) as 'baddies' falls flat as they are about as scary and menacing as frosty the snowman.

The whole project felt a thin and is so poorly put together you could see it unravel before your eyes. Fingers crossed for a better Summer Blockbuster in the near future...

God of Slumber

Author: RhyanScorpioRhys from United States
8 May 2011

Hmmm, Thor… where do I begin? I have long since given up the erroneous notion that superhero movies should be true to its comic book counterparts. I also have lived long enough to see superhero titles rebooted so often that they bear no r...resemblance to their origins as told in my youth (Jane Foster is an astrophysicist stormchaser?) So, I entered Thor with absolutely no expectations. Good thing, too, because if I had any, they wouldn't have been met. First, I must agree with Sir Anthony Hopkins and state that there is far to much CGI in this film and not enough character development. There were opportunities to delve into characters and their back stories that were simply ignored.

Other problems include: Fight scenes that played out like video game ads, with actors trying to strike the right "badass" pose for the cool action shots. Annoyingly silly humor that wore thin quickly. Conflicts that were one-dimensional and built no real suspense. A forced love story. And I understand that even a god of thunder must have a character arc, and Thor's was a common one that I could have overlooked… had it been better acted, and yes, better directed.

The whole movie lacked gravitas. Plain and simple.

There are some that have said it's nothing more than a two-hour preview for the upcoming Avengers movie and I can't totally disagree with that. But it is not the worst superhero movie ever made (far from it), it is simply the weakest Avengers prequel movie made to date (and yes, I'm including Iron Man 2 in that category).

Who knows? Check your brain at the door and you might just enjoy this special episode of "Donald's Creek."

Thor: For the first time in my life, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do...

Author: rgjm4 from United States
14 May 2011

And neither do I. This movie is not a movie it is a bad joke played on Marvel comic book fans. The idea being to put in lots of explosions and CGI and they will come and "they" will praise it. Regardless of how bad the story is. At what point do people STOP spending their money on silliness and demand an intelligent story. Fortunately for me, I saw this movie for free. Thank God! As quoted by Thor in this abominable movie: "For the first time in my life, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do". As bad as this movie is, I can understand why. At this point, I have been told that I do not have the 10 lines required to comment about this movie. So let me repeat once again, this movie is bad, bad, bad! And not in a good way.

Disappointment

Author: tudorgrigoriu from Romania
1 August 2011

Why aren't there any fans working for this movie?! I saw this movie with my brother. We are two fans of comic-book heroes. I admit I went to the movie thinking "Why did they not cast that viking from 13th Warrior?", "Why are they going for the cute guy instead of making Thor really scary and north like?!". The reason: Hollywood is getting stupider with every film. No more suspense, no more nothing. Money, money, money.... See this movie once and then never again. The acting is awful, Natalie Portman is done making good movies and I feel so bad that Anthony Hopkins really involved his name in this movie. P.S.: Thor's hammer looks like it's made of plastic, same as Green Goblins plastic outfit from Spider Man 1.

Incredible Action and Fantasy but with a Superb Story! Best in Years!

Author: John_T_Chance from The Attic
26 April 2011

Another outstanding effort, Marvel does it again! It's hard to believe that a movie with this subject matter can make you think and challenge all your movie viewing skills but it does so and more. It's very artistic and you would expect no less from Kenneth Branagh. He presents the entire film in a way that can be savored. Many aspects are classical drama and yet other aspects are just plain old fun kick-butt action scenes. It's a perfect blend and this movie is far deeper then I would've thought. The pacing was perfect as is the link to the Marvel movie Universe... I can't wait to see what Captain America brings us. Overall, a summer movie that's superior to everything else that I've seen in years.

The director's background in Shakespearian themes comes in to play right from the beginning of the film and run throughout. Thor is a super-strong "god" and can travel through space with supernatural powers yet the story is paradoxical and contrary about those elements instead choosing to focus on the human elements. THAT elevates this film far beyond anything I was expecting but I should have known better considering the source material and the director.

The genuine and relatable qualities of these characters are what make it a great film. Sure, the action and fantasy are incredible but the story works so well. The family dynamics between fathers & sons along with sibling rivalry and the price of vanity and lack of humility all resonate. The choices made and the relationships on display are as wonderful as the brawling and action... which are as good as any summer movie that I've seen in years.

If you've read the comics or at least have a brain, DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE

Author: pobigs from Glasgow, Scotland
7 May 2011

First of all, after seeing both, I'd recommend you watch this movie in 2D. It is one of the worst comic book adaptations I've ever seen. All the fight scenes happened to fast and you could barely see it if you watch it in 3D, all the female characters are portrayed as useless idiots and if you haven't read the comic book this movie will not make any sense. Just don't waste your money. It has ruined my childhood. The plot was strung together very loosely as well. Don't get me wrong, some of the acting was very good. For example, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddlestone really brought this screen to life when they were given time behind Chris Hemsworth and his horribly cheesy acting. The directors could have done so much better. I guess that's what happens when you sell your soul to Disney (Marvel was sold to Disney). What a shame

Offers absolutely nothing.

Author: motif from United States
13 May 2011

This film was an amalgamation of every "superhero" cliché from start to finish. It did absolutely nothing for me or my girlfriend. Seems like a script by committee situation. An artless product by all accounts.

The only redeeming quality was the lead actor. Despite having a strong cast and a respected director, the film delivered Hollywood triteness at its worst.

I'm not sure why Hollywood penguins insist on making products terrible. No matter how many trend data sheets they sift through, a good story is not a sum of popular topics or a mix-and-match of proved techniques. A good story has a voice of its own and this had none. Branagh obviously didn't fight hard enough to get anything valuable here. It shows no effort. As I said, artless.

I only speak so harshly here because in 2011 there's no excuse to spend 150mill and this is your end product.