IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 73: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Thunder? More smoke and mirrors

Author: adrongardner from USA
13 September 2011

Plain and simple - when the humans show up the movie dies a slow death.

It's a superhero movie so you know what the plot is. Hero comes to Earth to help humans. They're basically riffing Superman to the Nth degree here. But on to the important stuff...

What the heck is Natalie Portman doing in this movie. I mean that in two ways. First why is she even in the movie? Second, what did she do other than stand there and let her hair be blown around by the off screen wind machines? It felt like all of her scenes were filmed in one day and she looks so bored in all of them. Chris Hemsworth was fine as Thor and Hopkins played a good Odin, but it was the human characters that kill this one.

At least Branagh threw in Skarsgard for the Swede inside joke. But as usual Stellan Skarsgard is totally wasted. After Insomnia I was just in awe of what the man is truly capable of and here in the states they always use him as a window curtain.

I didn't mind the first act all that much, but for a movie about the GOD OF THUNDER, it comes off surprisingly meek.

Me Thor, You Jane

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
27 May 2011

The Marvel Comic hero Thor of course based on the ancient Norse God of Thunder comes to the big screen in a fine version with very nice computer graphic special effects. And it has the added attraction of a classical actor like Kenneth Branagh directing and having the lines of the Norse immortals spoken as if the Bard had written them.

As played by Chris Hemsworth, Thor's been exiled to Earth, the last time he visited there was when the ancient Norse were worshiping him and other such beings who visited from Asgaard. Thor's a warrior, but it takes more than being mighty in battle to rule as his father Odin keeps patiently trying to tell him.

Anthony Hopkins another actor with classical acting chops plays Odin and I wonder if Hopkins might have envied Laurence Olivier for getting the plum role of Zeus in a film. He's now equaled him in playing another immortal deity.

Thor lands on Earth, New Mexico to be specific and runs into scientific researcher Jane and she tickles his fancy the same way that other Jane rang Tarzan's bell. Natalie Portman is the object of Hemsworth's affections.

But back on Asgaard Thor's brother Loki as played by Tom Higglesworth is plotting a palace coup of his own. That leads to a really spectacular fight to the finish as Thor's mighty hammer gives a few folks an attitude adjustment.

Branagh served up a fine tasty dish for those who like their comic book heroes. Hopefully we'll see these folks again in some further adventures.

A movie worthy of Thor!

Author: TheUnseenMovieLover from United Kingdom
26 April 2011

Wow. That was the first thing I thought after seeing Thor. I'd read the strong reviews, I loved the choice of Kenneth Branagh as director and the trailers looked great. But I still wasn't prepared for how satisfying this movie would be. This is the very definition of epic, and I LOVED it.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is a God of Norse mythology, son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and brother of Loki (Tom Hiddleston). When Thor disobeys his father and sparks an ancient war with the Frost Giants, Odin banishes him from the realm of Asgard and casts him down to Earth. With the help of a trio of humans (including Natalie Portman's Jane), Thor struggles to fit in on Earth whilst looking for a way to return to Asgard. Meanwhile, the devious Loki plots for his father's throne…

Simply put, Thor is the best superhero movie since The Dark Knight. The idea of Norse gods and warriors who dress, sound and look like pompous Vikings (some of whom interact with modern humans), multiple universes, rainbow bridges and Frost Giants must have seemed pretty hard to pull off without being silly, especially when this hero eventually has to meet with more "realistic" superheroes such as Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America in next year's The Avengers movie. But Branagh has taken something potentially camp and cheesy and turned it into a powerful, strangely relatable story; there are quite a few Shakespearian elements in Thor's story, something which Branagh is an undeniable master at adapting to the screen. Plus, Branagh and the screenwriters also inject a much-needed humour into the proceedings without unbalancing the emotion and surprising seriousness of the story. The most impressive thing about Thor is the way it treads a pitch-perfect line between respecting the material and winking at its audience knowingly (most notably with a certain cameo). In that way, it's reminiscent of The Mask of Zorro, never taking itself too seriously whilst never allowing itself to slip into parody.

Branagh also proves to be a master at creating an epic summer blockbuster. Apart from a few dodgy moments, the visual effects are stunning; in fact, this is probably the most visually impressive film I have seen from Marvel thus far. The production design is also beautiful; Asgard is one of the most incredible movie landscapes I have ever seen. My eyes were stretched to breaking point, trying to drink in all the details of this new, exciting and opulent world. There are some moments which look a bit fake (which is annoying when the filmmakers had about $150 million to work with), but it's almost forgivable based on how spectacular the majority of the visual FX shots are. Credit must go to the FX and art direction departments.

But a summer blockbuster wouldn't be a summer blockbuster without action, and Thor delivers some great sequences. The early encounters with the Frost Giants (genuinely frightening creatures) are superb, with Thor and his friends using some pretty bad-ass moves. A later scene where Thor fights to retrieve his mystical hammer, Mjolnir, is gritty and intense, whilst another great set-piece sees the metallic being known as The Destroyer hunting Thor and destroying most of a desert town in the process. I have heard that many people consider the final confrontation to be anti-climactic, but I have to say that it isn't as much about seeing epic action is it is about seeing how the main characters have grown and changed throughout the course of the film. In a way, I think that displays the film's greatest strength. It isn't all about the action and the visual effects; it's more about the characters and the emotional response.

Speaking of which, the cast is exceptional. No pay cheque grabbing here; every cast member dives into their role headfirst. Let's start with the big guy himself, Thor. Hemsworth is best known for his brilliant, five- minute appearance as Kirk Sr. in 2009's Star Trek; to go from that to the lead in arguably one of Marvel's most risky undertakings could be seen as a huge step. You wouldn't know it from watching Hemsworth's performance, though. He is absolutely perfect in the role, charting Thor's journey from an impetuous fighter to a more understanding, wiser man with ease. Comedy, action, drama, romance; all encompassed perfectly in Hemsworth's performance. He deserves to achieve stardom after this, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how he fits into The Avengers. Natalie Portman is charming and charismatic as Jane; the scenes between her and Hemsworth ooze chemistry, whilst her scenes with Stellan Skarsgard and Kat Dennings, terrific as Jane's mentor and intern respectively, shine with a wonderful camaraderie. Hiddleston steals the movie whenever he appears as the slithering, manipulative yet oddly sympathetic Loki; this is a wonderfully complex role, and Hiddleston never strikes a wrong note. Hopkins, instead of hamming it up, brings powerful gravitas to Odin; he is intimidating, yet wise and weary from his many years of experience. The scenes between him, Hemsworth and Hiddleston are tremendous, each actor bringing all of their talent to bear and succeeding beyond all expectations. There are too many other names to mention, but rest assured everyone's sublime.

Apart from some minor quibbles, I absolutely loved this movie. Branagh, the cast and crew have succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. This encompasses everything I want from an epic adventure; action, wonder, romance, comedy and a surprising amount of character and intelligence. In my opinion, this is one of Marvel's best, taking something which could have sunk to the lows of Ghost Rider or Elektra and propelling it to the same heights as Spider-Man 1 & 2, X2 and Iron Man. Add a great pre-credits teaser for The Avengers (plus one exciting appearance from a minor member), and I couldn't be more hyped. You're up next, Captain America; don't you dare let the team down.

Pleasant Surprise

Author: smlubecki from Buffalo, New York
20 July 2011

When I heard they were making a movie of the character Thor I had serious trepidations. When I heard that Kenneth Branagh was directing it I had even more trepidation not due to the fact that it was Branagh but the fact that all he's ever directed was drama's.

Going into the theater I very low expectations from this film and man was I blown away. I like the fact that Branagh didn't approach the story as a super-hero film but more of a Shakespearing epic. The fantasy elements alone were marvelous.

Anthony Hopkins IS Odin...I cannot imaging another actor portraying him. His performance as Odin captures the essence of the character and the delicate balance of ruler verses father. He exudes power with subtle touches of vulnerability.

Chris Hemsworth is outstanding as Thor. He's got such a likability about him that even at Thor's most arrogant point in the story you can see how his friends stand by him. His performance is rock solid and extremely enjoyable.

Tom Hiddleston is THE perfect Loki. He's captured the sleazy, slimy, be nice to your face but looking for a place to drive the knife in your back nature of the character.

As I had stated earlier the story plays out as more of a fantasy epic than a dyed in the wool super-hero story. The journey into Jotenheim was stunning and Asgard itself was just beautiful to behold. The set designs were excellent. The humor in the film was very organic and never seemed forced. The story itself was very well balanced and didn't leave you wondering what the heck was going on. I almost wish they'd have kept it separate from the upcoming Marvel films. It works very well as a stand alone epic.

The effect's that I was expecting to be sub-standard were in fact top notch and even Thors trademark spinning hammer from the comics didn't look as cheesy as it could have.

This movie is a gem. All parties involved should be proud of themselves for bringing such a great piece of work to the screen. I for one cannot wait to see a sequel to this film. With any luck we'll see some of the other nine realms such as Muspelheim, Alfheim or even Vanaheim.

This is definitely a MUST SEE film

Thor-oughly entertained by this one

Author: big_ryan15 from Australia
27 April 2011

I have to admit, i had low expectations for this adaptation. Hulk yeah sure, Iron man, why not, Captain America, its set in the real word of course it'll work. But THOR? A wildly fantastical tale of Norse Gods and Rainbow bridges and nicknamed hammers ?? Surely not! Ill stop with the bashing; this film is astonishing. The oddest thing has happened here. Coupling notoriously artsy director Kenneth Branagh with one of Marvels most theatrical characters was a stroke of genius. At the beginning of the film, we are quickly introduced to Jane Foster, her whimsical offsider and an older gentleman. Storm chasers aren't normally this clever you might think to yourself during this opening scene, but alas, they are revealed to actually be physicists after a few minutes. An incredible storm arrives and THOR HAS LANDED: or so you would think. Mere moments after being introduced to our title character we are thrust on an astrological journey to Asgard, land of gods. Here we are introduced to Odin, the all father and his 2 young boys; Loki and Thor. Odin recites stories of an ancient war in which a planet load of frost giants planned to destroy the realm of Midgard (earth) before Odin and his merry men stepped in to save humanity. It is during this scene we are first shown Thor's arrogance and thirst for war. Skip ahead a few years and THOR has become Asgard's mightiest warrior, just as Odin had foretold. A celebration is occurring, Thor is about to be crowned as king of Asgard, but alas... this glorious day is interrupted by none other than said FrostGiants attempting to steal a stolen heirloom from Asgard's weapons locker.. The story rapidly gains traction from here. Thor marches into the Frost Giants planet (against his fathers will) in all his Aussie glory, kicking ass and taking names. He and his friends become swiftly over powered and Odin is left no choice but to step in. An argument erupts in which Odin tells Thor of his assholness and douchebaggery and that he is no longer worthy of his giant hammer Mjolnir or his god of Thunder status. Cast down to Earth the audience is reunited with the opening scene and we are officially filled in. A bevy of comedic scenes follow in which Chris hemsworth's THOR is tranquillised and run over multiple times. The film transitions backwards and forwards between our world and that of Asgard so as to keep us informed on going ons. Odin goes into a coma and Thor's mischievous bro Loki starts to come into his own. A marvellous story unfolds filled with action, humour, heartache and a whole heap of awesome!! Branagh's eye for curious shots is on full show here and works fabulously in creating a beautifully surreal Asgard. The films close is a little rushed but is also very heartfelt and strong. Leaving plenty of room for more character development, THOR is as good as if not better than every comic film to date, the characters were superbly cast and played and the story follows as close as it can to the source material as it can without being too over the top. Spectacularly fun movie, worthy of the Marvel name tag and certainly a sequel. 10 out of 10 for performance and entertainment....

Make sure to stay after the credits for the Captain America nod.

Entertaining Adventure

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
25 September 2011

In 965 D.C., in Tornsberg, Norway, the Frost Giants from Jotunheim led by King Laufey (Colm Feore) attack the locals, and the Allfather Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and the warriors of Asgard protect the humans and win the battle against the invaders. They take their source of power and bring it to Asgard and they start an armistice with Jotunheim.

When three Frost Giants break in Asgard trying to retrieve their source of power, they are destroyed by the Destroyer. The arrogant Thor (Chris Hemsworth) decides to attack Jotunheim with his stepbrother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and four Asgardian warriors and disobeys the order of his father Odin. In order to avoid war against Jotunheim, Odin removes the powers of Thor and exiles him on Earth to live among the humans. Odin also throws his hammer Mjölnir to New Mexico and orders that only the one that is worth will get the powerful hammer and achieve Thor's powers.

In Puente Antigo, New Mexico, the physician Jane Foster (Natalie Portman) is researching a phenomenon in the desert with her professor Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgård) and her mate Darcy Lewis (Kat Dennings). Out of the blue, Thor is hit by Jane's truck and she takes him to the hospital. Thor unsuccessfully tries to retrieve Mjölnir that is protected by agents of the government SHIELD. When the Machiavellian Loki sends the Destroyer to Earth to kill Thor, he needs to retrieve his hammer to save not only the humans, but also his Allfather Odin and Asgard from the evil Loki.

"Thor" is an entertaining adventure based on the character of the comic book published by Marvel Comics. Natalie Portman is usually the synonym of a good movie and she is delightful in the role of a scientist. The plot is funny and the scenes with the human Thor; the Nordic black gatekeeper Heimdall (Idris Elba); and the Vikings and Gods speaking in English are hilarious. The special effects are top-notch and the viewer may bring the popcorn and delight with a pleasant family entertainment. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Thor"

Thor: For the first time in my life, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do...

Author: rgjm4 from United States
14 May 2011

And neither do I. This movie is not a movie it is a bad joke played on Marvel comic book fans. The idea being to put in lots of explosions and CGI and they will come and "they" will praise it. Regardless of how bad the story is. At what point do people STOP spending their money on silliness and demand an intelligent story. Fortunately for me, I saw this movie for free. Thank God! As quoted by Thor in this abominable movie: "For the first time in my life, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do". As bad as this movie is, I can understand why. At this point, I have been told that I do not have the 10 lines required to comment about this movie. So let me repeat once again, this movie is bad, bad, bad! And not in a good way.

Disappointment

Author: tudorgrigoriu from Romania
1 August 2011

Why aren't there any fans working for this movie?! I saw this movie with my brother. We are two fans of comic-book heroes. I admit I went to the movie thinking "Why did they not cast that viking from 13th Warrior?", "Why are they going for the cute guy instead of making Thor really scary and north like?!". The reason: Hollywood is getting stupider with every film. No more suspense, no more nothing. Money, money, money.... See this movie once and then never again. The acting is awful, Natalie Portman is done making good movies and I feel so bad that Anthony Hopkins really involved his name in this movie. P.S.: Thor's hammer looks like it's made of plastic, same as Green Goblins plastic outfit from Spider Man 1.

Incredible Action and Fantasy but with a Superb Story! Best in Years!

Author: John_T_Chance from The Attic
26 April 2011

Another outstanding effort, Marvel does it again! It's hard to believe that a movie with this subject matter can make you think and challenge all your movie viewing skills but it does so and more. It's very artistic and you would expect no less from Kenneth Branagh. He presents the entire film in a way that can be savored. Many aspects are classical drama and yet other aspects are just plain old fun kick-butt action scenes. It's a perfect blend and this movie is far deeper then I would've thought. The pacing was perfect as is the link to the Marvel movie Universe... I can't wait to see what Captain America brings us. Overall, a summer movie that's superior to everything else that I've seen in years.

The director's background in Shakespearian themes comes in to play right from the beginning of the film and run throughout. Thor is a super-strong "god" and can travel through space with supernatural powers yet the story is paradoxical and contrary about those elements instead choosing to focus on the human elements. THAT elevates this film far beyond anything I was expecting but I should have known better considering the source material and the director.

The genuine and relatable qualities of these characters are what make it a great film. Sure, the action and fantasy are incredible but the story works so well. The family dynamics between fathers & sons along with sibling rivalry and the price of vanity and lack of humility all resonate. The choices made and the relationships on display are as wonderful as the brawling and action... which are as good as any summer movie that I've seen in years.

If you've read the comics or at least have a brain, DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE

Author: pobigs from Glasgow, Scotland
7 May 2011

First of all, after seeing both, I'd recommend you watch this movie in 2D. It is one of the worst comic book adaptations I've ever seen. All the fight scenes happened to fast and you could barely see it if you watch it in 3D, all the female characters are portrayed as useless idiots and if you haven't read the comic book this movie will not make any sense. Just don't waste your money. It has ruined my childhood. The plot was strung together very loosely as well. Don't get me wrong, some of the acting was very good. For example, Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddlestone really brought this screen to life when they were given time behind Chris Hemsworth and his horribly cheesy acting. The directors could have done so much better. I guess that's what happens when you sell your soul to Disney (Marvel was sold to Disney). What a shame