IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 71: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Way Up North

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
3 December 2013

I have been dragged through the Marvel milieu by my son. Contrary to my snobbish initial prejudices, I have enjoyed these quite a bit. This one, of course, sets the stage for the appearance of Thor, the hammer-wielding hunk, who is striving top prove himself worthy of becoming king in the upper-world, possibly displacing Anthony Hopkins' Odin at some point. The fly in the ointment (actually there are several) is his sort of half brother, Loki, whose face reminds me of a hybrid of Brent Spiner and Pee Wee Herman. He is really full of the Dickens and totally amoral, especially after finding out a secret which I will not divulge. The strength of this film is that it does a very nice job of storytelling, despite it's ignorance of real Norse mythology. Nobody cares. We understand the powers of the characters, we like the romance between mortal and demi-god, the main character is charming though violent, and the movie has a sense of humor, where we can be allowed to take a breath at times. And there are unanswered questions, which have us waiting for the next adventure. Unfortunately for me, I've seen these things all out of order, so I try to evaluate them on their individual merits. I had a nice time.

Thor Review

Author: Dillon Schohr from United States
17 November 2013

In year three of Marvel bringing together their set-up for The Avengers, Thor starts this summer out on an alright start.

After going against his fathers wishes, the powerful and egotistical Thor is banished from his beautiful kingdom of Asgard to Earth.

The film is down right entertaining, especially the first half and it is all thanks to Chris Hemsworth, who single handedly won me over as Thor. I can't explain how pleased I was with Hemsworth's acting, he played the arrogant warrior that is Thor perfectly. Now if only Chris Evans can pull of Captain America, I honestly think The Avengers will be the biggest movie of all time. Anthony Hopkins was a great addition but I just wish he would have had more screen time. I believe Natalie Portman is one of the greatest actresses of my generation, she knows how to connect with the audience. But sadly she did not bring her A-game on this one, it might have been the screenplay, but all of Portman's dialogue falls flat.

The first hour of the film flies by in the blink of an eye, and all of it was extremely engaging. Then the film begins to drag when they keep showing how well Thor is adapting to human culture. We get it the first three times, no need to keep forcing it to the audience. I really loved what Kenneth Branagh did with most of this film, and for his first time directing a big Hollywood budget movie he did a damn good job at it. I would rather watch Thor than Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen any day. I give Thor an 7 out of 10

Don't get on the wrong side of a Nordic Deity.

Author: George Roots (roots117@hotmail.co.uk) from United Kingdom
16 November 2013

Thor is the first Marvel comic movie of 2011, Later this year we will have "X-Men: First Class","Captain America" and D.C comic's "Green Lantern".

I must explain that i have never been a big reader of "THOR", i acknowledge the character and accepted him for what he is but never really wanted to pick up a book and start reading, I knew the Origins, the Character's and all in all the fairly humorous cheese to it all.

Well aside from "X-men", I had no ambition to see any of the superhero films this year, My father decided to see "THOR" and I tagged along.

The result was obviously cheesy, yet it was a very well executed movie, both visually and acted.

THOR's Homeland looked STUNNING, in this new age of Cinematic CGI Landscaping it's getting better and more believable, However this film did not need to be 3-D, I stress that because now days it's being thrown in any movie like it was back in the 80's, it going back to a gimmick rather than an Art form.

Chris Hemsworth was a surprisingly good THOR, i'll admit he lost he's luster a bit when he ends up learning respect and new ways of life in a style done to death, but nevertheless a good solid job.

However the best performance is of course Anthony Hopkins as his father Odin, The name Hopkins with every passing movie is becoming more of an Enigma and more of a housing to all these fantastic characters.

Jane Foster in the comics was human THOR's nurse, in this version she's an Astrologist played by Natalie Portman, after how brilliant her performance was in "Black Swan" i feel she's slowly becoming the next "Audrey Hepburn" of the movies.

If i wanted to recommend this movie to anyone, I'd ultimately say if you liked "Clash Of The Titans" then this movie is for you, less monsters but all that good mythology stuff any person would and probably SHOULD like.

Final Verdict: Tweaking the Origin's a little, But nevertheless a really cheesy fun movie, very glad i went to see it.

Over-hyped, not a very good movie

Author: netmbng
13 November 2013

Everyone loves Marvel, who doesn't?! They make great, interesting, action-packed comics and the movies are just as good; Iron Man, Spiderman, etc. But then there's Thor...

I have never been more disappointed with any other Marvel movie then this one. When I first watched it, I was hoping to watch an interesting story and overall an appealing movie, but wow was I wrong.

The acting was very mediocre, but the actors are good, i.e Natalie Portman, but I think the script was just not there. For example, the romantic side-story with Thor and Jane is just very cheesy and corny. The moment the two characters are introduced, you automatically know what's going to happen and doesn't keep you eagerly wanting see more of this relationship between the 2.

Speaking of cheesiness and corniness, some of the lines and scenes just made me want to shake my head in disappointment. I honestly think this movie was over-hyped, especially with how society sees it. Everyone seems to adore Thor and especially Loki. The way this movie was advertised and talked about is very misleading and isn't as good as it may seem.

Is there a Renaissance Fair in town?

Author: Ben Larson from Leesburg, FL
11 November 2013

The standards for comic book superhero movies have been established by Superman, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2 and Iron Man. In that company Thor is weak.

Thor is entertaining, and probably what the comic fans expected.

Kenneth Branagh created worlds that were creative and unique. Asgard is serene and warm, whereas the Jötunheimr, kingdom of the Giants, is frosty.

The battles of heroes is quite impressive, as the special effects are the real stars of the movie.

The performances are all good, if thin.

A CGI Fest

Author: chrisborg1999
10 November 2013

Thor is eye candy at the most. Having very good CGI that you can tell the CGI animators took a lot of time to work on. But other than that there isn't much to offer and its just a mediocre movie. I mean it's not bad but it's not good either and i'll tell you why. First off the camera-work. The camera angle for a majority of shots in the movie are tilted. Why? you ask I dunno it looks weird and just not normal when I wanna see Jane Foster talking I would rather see it horizontally not vertically! Second off Darcy. Darcy is Jane and Erik's assistant and has no relevance to the story-line and just shouts annoyingly bad jokes throughout the movie and none of them are funny. And, to top it all off, she has no chemistry with Jane and Erik. And third, the premise. Odin kinda seems like a jerk if he stole Loki from the Ice Giants to keep peace form them. Why would that work? Why? how would stealing a baby keep peace? But, as much as I rip on it...it defiantly has good action scenes, great acting, and yet again, the CGI was amazing.

Verdict:

Fun, Funny Nonsense - No Proper End

Author: newmouse from United Kingdom
31 October 2013

Its fun silly & deliberately comic entertainment. I'm not a very big Fan of Superhero Films . I find they often take themselves to seriously & use a to realistic styling for there Fantasy World. THOR is about right in these respects. I like the central Character & as Marvel type Superheroes go much more interesting than most. I think he's the best Character in 'Marvel Avengers Assemble'

Natalie Portman is gorgeous & I watch anything with her in it. But she's not best for an action Film.

BUT...BUT the Film (at least the version 'cut') I've seen does not have a proper ending. Just a lot of bits hinting at things we do not see. It ends with an extended trailer for the next THOR Film

Go look THOR up on Wikipedia. The quantity & extent of the commercial exploitation of the whole THOR 'Thing' is extraordinary. The makers lost a lot that should be in THIS film for greed & impatience for other releases. I know there is the tradition in Comic books for each episode to end with leads for the next. But this is a Film not a Comic book. @@@

No Thor-prizes

Author: robinski34 from United Kingdom
15 September 2013

Pretty straightforward adaptation of the comic book from the House of Marvel, Chris Hemsworth is suitably young, dumb and full of bravado as the Mighty Thor and there is a good performance from Tom Hiddlestone as the scheming Loki. Anthony Hopkins is effortlessly god-like as Odin, but Natalie Portman's role is off-the-shelf action heroine - which she could do in her sleep I'm sure. The presence of Stellan Skarsgard is reassuring as is Clark Gregg's return as Agent Couslon, and a brief cameo by Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, the last two being preludes to great things to come (we hope). There is clunkiness to some passages of dialogue, but there are also many nice touches. Asgard is beautifully rendered; the juxtaposition of the different modes of speech works nicely and Stan the Man makes his habitual Hitchcockian appearance. Kenneth Brannagh makes a great job all round including generating a feeling of great distance between Earth and Asgard. The Earth-bound scenes seem narrow in scope, but that's a minor quibble, in the end it's all good comic book fun and whets the appetite for the main event – 98 days and counting!

Another stepping stone for Marvel

Author: SnoopyStyle
18 August 2013

This is simply setting up for Marvel. They have laid out a series of movie that led to the Avengers and beyond. Kenneth Branagh directs this introduction of Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Natalie Portman as the love interest. Chris has some work behind him, but this is his international breakout. In addition, Stellan Skarsgård provides the scientist and Kat Dennings provides the comic relief.

It lays the groundwork for the world of Asgard and introduces other important characters like Loki. However, it's not completely compelling. There is a lot of history expositions. The Asgard world is very golden, and the frost giants live on an ice world. The movie goes into a long section in the Alien worlds at the beginning. It's a lot of CGI to slog through. The wonderment of it all wears thin.

The love story could be a little more romantic. Thor starts off as an arrogant overbearing warrior blindly rushing into a fight. Loki is his more reserved brother who discovers a big secret. Anthony Hopkins plays an effective King Odin. Natalie Portman's chemistry with Chris Hemsworth is fair. Overall, the movie achieves what it hopes for.

Roughly Good, But Has Many Flaws

Author: jeffrey-utley
17 August 2013

I just watched 'Thor', to get ready for 'Thor: The Dark World'. I had heard many good things about it, so I decided to give it to shot at being good. I have to say, it very much surprised me...

How was the acting?

The acting in 'Thor' was good. By that I mean everyone portrayed their character and played their part above average. The best of the acting was Natalie Portman. She definitely did the best. She played Jane Foster and just killed it. Chris Hemsworth as Thor was a good choice. He portrayed Thor very well. Tom Hiddleston did just about as well as Natalie Portman playing the main antagonist: Loki. Anthony Hopkins did fine as Odin. There wasn't necessarily anything bad or good about his acting.

How was the writing?

It's hard to critique the screenplay for this type of film. I did like how the story went, though. It did have many predictable elements, but some things surprised me. This film did have a bit too many slow parts and the romance between Thor and Jane Fisher just decides to happen, but the things that bugged me the worst weren't those things. It was how there were many illogical, unrealistic, or unexplained things in this film. All of which took me right out of it. Also, the frost giants were way too easy to kill. Those things are twice the size of what the people of Asgard are, and are still killed with one small cut of a sword across their chest. It turns out, the writing was not very good.

Did it have an interesting premise?

I did like the premise and get the humor of what Thor is going through on Earth. Yes, the premise overall was interesting, despite my few flaws with it that I described in the writing section of the review.

Was it entertaining or boring?

Like I said earlier in my review, the film did have a few too many slow parts, making the film kind of boring. Although, the situations at hand during 'Thor' did bring some light into the shadows. The film was entertaining overall, but nothing special happens, and there are only about two scenes that I found exciting. Most of the film was enjoyable, but not entertaining as it should have been, in my opinion.

What things in particular did I like (that I haven't already covered)?

I really liked all of the beautiful scenery, CGI, and effects in 'Thor'. I also liked the direction the film went in story-wise. There were also some pretty entertaining action sequences, too.

What things in particular did I dislike (that I haven't already covered)?

I have already covered most of the things that I disliked about the film, but I have one more. I thought that some of the action sequences were not exciting, a very small number that even that entertaining. There was also one in particular of which I predicted almost everything that happened, and I really did not enjoy it.

How was the film overall?

Despite all of my many flaws with 'Thor', it was mostly entertaining, and had a couple of exiting parts. I say 'Thor' would be good if you don't watch it seriously. That means don't sit down and try to enjoy it. Watch it with a few friends. Text during it. Doing these things could make the film enjoyable. I would give 'Thor' a C- on the grading rating scale.

Do I recommend this film?

As I just explained, I only recommend this film if you didn't try to sit down and enjoy it. If you tried to do that, it wouldn't be very good. If you try to have some fun with it, and watch it with some friends, talk during it, or text during it, 'Thor' could be good.

Will I buy this film?

No, I will not buy this film. If I can't just sit down and watch this film seriously for it to be good, it's definitely not worthy of me buying it.