IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 74: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The only thing missing was a Hispanic Norse God

Author: Troy_VA from United States
16 March 2012

Overall, this was a very good but not perfect adaptation of the mythology of the comic character Thor. The casting was almost flawless with the exceptions of Idris Elba as the black Heimdall, Tadanobu Asano as the Asian Hogun and of course Samuel L. Jackson as the black version of Nick Fury, but I suppose Jackson's miscasting can be blamed on Iron Man and the producers wanting to keep that mistake going with other movies in the Marvel franchise. Hollywood diversification at the expense of staying true to the characters they're adapting. I can hardly wait to see Luke Cage played by Hulk Hogan.

The main actors played their roles well, with Tom Hiddleston completely surprising me with his initial low-key Loki who gradually revealed himself to be the sinister schemer that fans of the comic series have known and loved. Chris Hemsworth was an excellent choice as Thor and the always reliable Anthony Hopkins was the perfect Odin, even with the missing eye.

The story was well-written but, being a reader of Thor's epic comic book battle with the Destroyer, I felt the metallic menace was felled a bit too easily. The special effects were above average and Asgard's mystic realm was awe-inspiring to say the least.

All-in-all, a very good beginning for Thor. I give it a solid 7 and would have rated it an 8 if not for the woeful miscasting of the secondary characters.

East of Eden in Asgard...

Author: higherall7
14 March 2012

Right now, I am looking at my accurate, true-to-scale, panoramic Picto-Map of a typical Asgard street scene, drafted by the late, great Jack Kirby and compliments of the early, here and now Stan Lee! I am mentally comparing this street scene of daily life in Odin's realm and everything appears to be in order. Here, under the MONUMENT TO THE UNKNOWN WARRIOR, I am expecting a party of twelve to help me take in the sights. Unfortunately, we will not be visiting the RAINBOW BRIDGE as we have been informed it is presently undergoing reconstruction...

Cudos to the men and women of the Art Department and the Special Effects Department for taking the designs and plans of Lee and Kirby and using them as blueprints to transform what are essentially colored sketches into a living, breathing reality whose boulevards and avenues can be strolled by true to life people. This alone is worth the price of admission to 'THOR', a film directed by Kenneth Branagh and boasting a cast with the likes of Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, Natalie Portman, Idris Elba, and capable newcomers such as Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston. The screenplay, crafted by Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne, has ample mood and pace, and 'BABYLON FIVE' J. Michael Straczynski, along with Mark Protosevich also seem to have contributed substantially to the thematic infrastructure of this interface between Science and Technology/Dream and Mythology.

'THOR' is essentially a morality tale for children about the pitfalls of Pride and how it can lead to warmongering and uncalled for destruction and the virtues of humility and how it can lead to spiritual renewal and reconciliation. It takes the concept of the Invincible Warrior of the West which has been the bane of aboriginal peoples and leavens it with the Christian Ethic of rational sacrifice for the greatest good exercising the principle of the greatest love espoused by Jesus from what many would tell you is the highest authority. It does so in such a playful and witty way that should you blink, you just might miss it.

After that, it is back to Warriors and Monsters and the political intrigues fueled by sibling rivalry and infantile good intentions gone awry. The Western deification of patriarchal power bolstered by the triumph of Science and Technology plays out its idea matrix creating new divisions and spiritual unities and setting the stage for the next act of this fairy tale in progress beyond the stars.

Oh, by the way, you can find that Picto-Map of Asgard in the MARVEL TREASURY EDITION of THE MIGHTY THOR Volume One, Number Three, 1974.

Asgard Come To Life

Author: elliott78212 from United States
9 March 2012

Its been a few years since I picked up a Thor Comic but I'm more than familiar with his background and stories having read many Marvel Comics and Avengers was one of them with the occasional story arc in Thor. I thought this movie was better than I could have ever expected more than that my partner who never read a comic beyond say Superman was totally into it and thought it was great. When I heard Kenneth Branagh was directing again my thoughts were two fold who better to handle the ins and outs of Asgard and Odin than a Shakespearean Actor/Director. Then Anthony Hopkins it just kept getting better so my hopes were high by the time it premiered. Engaging special FX, I might even say Brilliant the Rainbow bridge come to life in a way so unexpected the attention to details was to me Amazing and gratifying. Every actor gave it their all above average performances, touches of humor, action a plenty this was the incarnation of a Hero to be remembered. Heck I bought the 3D BluRay it was and is awesome in this format. See it

"Thor" is a bit of a clichéd story, but it is so visually magnificent and has such a delightful cast and light-heart, you will forgive it! One of Summer 2011's best films!

Author: MaximumMadness from United States
6 March 2012

The fourth released film in the "Avengers" sage (thus far including "Iron Man", "Iron Man 2", "The Incredible Hulk", "Captain America" and this film) is the delightful, visually astounding "Thor" from director Kenneth Branagh. Starring some great actors including Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Hiddleston, Rene Russo and even Stellan Skarsgard, with strong supporting performers as well, this Summer treat is one the finest action films of the year 2011.

Based upon the popular Marvel Comic (itself based upon the gods and legends of lore), "Thor" follows… well… Thor, the god of thunder, as he is banished from his home in Asgard to live as a mortal on Earth, where he seeks a way to reclaim his power and return home, along the way falling in love with a beautiful scientist, and tangling with those pesky SHIELD agents that were established in the other films. There is also a strong plot involving his troubled brother Loki, whom seeks the approval of their father Odin, as well as fears between Asgard and the neighboring world Jotenheim (that's probably misspelled).

Despite some of the bigger names in the cast, including Hopkins and Portman, the real star of this movie is director Kenneth Branagh. Being familiar with some of his other films (particularly the incredible visual treat "Frankenstein", which despite having poor pacing is worth watching for Branagh's stylish direction and visuals), this is clearly and completely one of his films. From his kinetic camera work, and poetic use of dutch angles, slow motion and sweeping wide shots, to his design sensibility, this film is a wonder to behold. He also works well with pacing the story very well, and getting some great performances from the cast. This is a strong Branagh film.

The cast is very notable. There are no "sore thumbs" in sight, everyone plays their roles perfectly. Hemsworth plays a convincing Thor, and the transformation his character goes through from arrogant boy to responsible man is convincing and touching. Portman is outstanding as Jane Foster, a human scientist whom Thor falls in love with. Hopkins as Odin is perfect casting. Tom Hiddleston is a remarkable Loki, giving the character pathos and sympathy. Skarsgard and Kat Dennings serve as Portman's teammates, and both are fun, fleshed out roles. Everyone is remarkable in this film.

The script is very tight, and supplies a lot of action, and also plenty of light-hearted humor, which is what makes this film work- it's a very "fun" movie to watch, and despite trailers promising a dark, brooding fantasy, it is full of fun belly-laughs and quirky dialog. This movie will put a smile on your face as you are wowed by the action and seduced by the humor.

All this praise being said, I have the same problem with this film as I did with the first "Iron Man" film- it gets itself too bogged-down by clichés early on, and you will guess the twists and turns from a mile away. In addition, it does feel a bit anti-climactic, and despite some strongly choreographed and character-driven action sequences, the fight scenes are all too rushed and generally over after only a minute or two. It's like the production ran out of money right before all of the action was shot.

That being said, this is still an incredibly fun film, and a surprising treat in the Summer 2011 movie lineup. I give "Thor" a strong 9 out of 10 for the sheer fun-factor, and look forward to seeing the character again in 2012's "The Avengers"!

Great Watch

Author: jacob0212 from India
1 March 2012

Its a great movie, I watched more than 3 times in a week itself and I wanted to refer this movie to all who watch love and action flick. Super action and stunning photography work.. Simple movie with crisp screenplay Chris Hemsworth really suits in that character and his actions scenes are cool.. I would say this is awesome and definitely watch movie.....There is pleasure to be plundered from some of the battle scenes, especially when Thor is confronting ice monsters with blood-red eyes, and from the culture clash that resounds when he descends to present-day Earth. .Another marvelous adventure.Nicely combines visual splendor and an earthly fish-out-of-water tale with director Kenneth Branagh bringing a Shakespearean flair to the proceedings.Give it a try you will like it. Total entertainer

Really?

Author: Samandreas66 from United States
19 February 2012

I love marvel comics and there movies and I also enjoy the Thor comics as well.But what the hell is this.I wasn't expecting Thor to be good when I saw the trailer but I was hoping to be surprised.Chris hemsworth was the right chose he was one of the few Good things about this film.Anthony Hopkins I thought was okay with his role.But tom hiddleston I thought did A great job as Loki.some of the dialogue in this film is laughable.The action was actually shot well the special effects look great.The whole movie felt like they just made it for the avengers movie that coming out pretty soon.The storyline didn't need a love story but of the course there is one.This movie is like a roller-coaster not in a good way there is some bad scenes then there's good scenes.This movie kind of felt rushed and slapped together.Thor was an okay marvel movie if you ask me.

Very good but light fantasy/action entertainment

Author: Sir_Cellophane_Beak from Aukland
8 February 2012

I really like this beautifully shot and choreographed action-fantasy/time travel yarn from Kenneth Branagh, the director of the highly regarded "Wild Wild West" -- as a Kenneth Branagh movie, it certainly falls grievously short of that classics. It was hard to watch this film and not compare some of the wild action/fight scenes with those in "Wild Wild West". Whilst the scenes in Thor are not as polished or well done as those in the "Wild Wild West", they are entertaining enough and the choreography and use of props showed much more promise and imagination than those in any Wachowski Bros. productions (Speed Racer, Matrix Reloaded, Shanghai Noon, etc.).

But this film did not receive the hype that Matrix did and, consequently, my expectations of it were lower. As a result, I was not disappointed in Thor as I was with the Matrix fiicks. Sure, its all silliness, and the golden haired pretty-boy of yore is now replaced with a redneck lookin' dude, but at least it has the humour to go along with that mistake. In short, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and neither should the audience.

Tadanobu Asano shows he can play non-serious roles and get away with it, and Natalie Portman shows he can do other parts away from American Pie and its teen comedy clones. But a particular joy to see in this film is the appearance of Stellan Skarsgård, whom I haven't seen much of in recent years. He only has a small role in this film, but he steals the show whenever he's on screen.

The kung-fu isn't quite as wild as "Wild Wild West"'s flying escapades nor is the wire-work quite so obvious. All in all a fun movie that should be watched as it was intended, as sheer escapism.

There are a few bad points. Watch out for the baddie at the end. He should get the "worst villain's hairstyle" award for his mullet. That, and the fact that they paid some of us to write 10-star reviews are the lighter negative aspects in an otherwise entertaining movie, and even they somehow just add to the fun.

Solid Entertainment

Author: ted-werre
7 February 2012

"Thor" was another solid foray into the action/adventure genre by Marvel. When I saw the preview for it I was wildly excited. Although I have never read the comics, I am a huge fan of Norse mythology. After seeing some of the other Marvel action offerings (Iron Man, Iron Man 2) I was not disappointed by "Thor".

"Thor" is a fantasy movie with door-busting action and intense fight scenes. It is set in modern times, with a brief back story into the history of the Gods, Ice Giants, and mortal humans. It is a story about a father, Odin, and two sons, Loki and Thor. One son would betray his family and his kingdom for power, the other must face himself and learn humility in the face of adversity.

"Thor" had well choreographed action scenes. The fight scenes are fast paced, with stunning special effects and interesting weaponry. They avoid the pitfall of long, drawn out fight scenes leaving you saying "yeah right" after they are over. You actually believe the fight scenes because, well, these people ARE immortal. I also liked the special effects involving the kingdom of Asgard. They may be considered overwrought by some, but they left me fascinated.

The acting in Thor left something to be desired. Anthony Hopkins is always a solid bet, and did well with his part as the father although he is in a coma most of the movie. Chris Hemsing definitely looked the part of Thor. The audience, especially the ladies, will probably get more out of admiring his physique than his acting skill. Even after his "attitude adjustment" he reminds me of the self centered tool that nobody else can stand. Tom Hiddleston did an excellent job playing Loki. His dark, mysterious and hawk-like visage give you the feeling that you wouldn't trust him with anything. Natalie Portman's character was not developed at all, but was able to establish a relationship with Thor leaving a convenient open ending.

If you are looking for lots of action and not much thinking this feature will provide that. It is a solid bet for a good Saturday night action flick with the kids or girlfriend. Chalk up another win by Marvel.

Impressed

Author: Marc Davis from Texas
2 February 2012

There have been so many superhero flixs churned out of the Hollywood factory this past decade. So much so that it has made my head spin.

I have high expectations when it comes to superhero movies. While they rely heavily on special effects, I also expect a great storyline and a believability factor to go along with it as well. With that said, few superhero films over the past decade have lived up to my expectations. While most films have nailed the special effects criteria, they just can't seem to get the plot thing down so well. The Dark Knight was by far the best of the bunch and I did enjoy the X-Men trilogy, but felt the Wolverine spin-off fell short. Unlike most other people I didn't really care for the highly successful Iron Man and Spider Man franchises. They made Robert Downey , Jr's character Tony Stark in Iron Man overly comical and Spider Man was too slow throughout the series. Both Hulk movies, Batman Returns, Superman Returns, Electra, Daredevil, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Fantastic Four were all major disappointments. I could add more recent superhero films to the list, but you get the point. It shouldn't be a surprise to tell you that, as with other superhero movies to grace the big screen this past year (Captain America, Green Lantern, The Green Hornet), I had no interest whatsoever in seeing Thor. The only reason I did see it was because my best friend rented it and pretty much forced me to watch it. I'm glad he did.

This was a surprisingly entertaining movie with some interesting plot twists. The war scene that kicks off the movie is a little too dark so it's hard to make out what's going on, but that soon changes once we get into the meat of the storyline.

What can you say about Anthony Hopkins? He's a great actor and gives nothing less than a great performance here as Odin, king and God of Asgard. He's also the father of Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston), although we learn things are not as they originally appear with this family.

The best part about this movie is it has a believability factor to it. The characters are well developed and the overall plot works well. I would have given this film a higher rating but there were a few elements to the story that were confusing or just stupid. The fact that we didn't see Hemsworth shirtless more throughout the film is one of them. With a body like that you don't need dialogue!

Marvel :)

Author: aashishraina from India
22 December 2011

I always think movies which are made out of comics are good but the movies which are made out of books may or may not be as good as the book itself. Thor is another example. The movie is interesting as well as entertaining. The effects are cool and Chris Hemsworth looks cool in the role. Anthony Hopkins -- no words... Whatever part you give him, he will blow you away.. Natalie could have been shown more glamorous ;) Personally I think the villain in this movie is a bit of a loser. Common there should have been a big fight. The villain cant lose that easily :D There could have been lot more. But not forgetting the movie revolves mainly around Thor and his character, so that should be expected. Overall.. This movie is worth a watch!