IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 73: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Mr India gets a Hollywood Makeover (A Dud on Impact)

Author: Mahmoud-Buttrumps from Sabaragamuwa Province
24 February 2015

Thor which I believe is direct copy of the Bollywood movie "Mr. India" (I have watched this one) gives an impression of a test match which is very exciting in first four days, but then gets in a very boring draw at the end. I have watched this movie today on 12th April 2011 on 3D phenomenon. But still fortunately for me I didn't know or heard much of this movie before except that it is a flop at box office. So in this situation when I watch the movie, I feel that this movie could have been a very good movie, but then the director again falls in the trap for Hollywood traditions and has wasted a very good chance.

Off course as a Superhero movie it must be copied from somewhere else. But now days it doesn't matter for me, if I haven't seen the original movie. I just found the main theme much similar to "Mr. India" and 'Badshah'. In the movie warrior-god Thor is cast out of the Thortastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders. But that too I found out now is taken from movie Superman wih Brando. So when a movie is made with the mixture of so many other movies it's future is quite clear.

The things I like about the movie is its pace. As the name suggest the things really happens fast, and there is not much time to think about in between the scenes. But this breaks in the last 20 minutes of so where the movie goes in traditional Hollywood style of Dhishum dhishum.

The plot of the movie is also quite interesting. Three stories going parallel, one after the other. One of the kidnapping of Jane Foster, the other of the Thor trying to help Jane Foster, and then the bit about the magic hammer. These three stories gets mixed up naturally with each other as the movie continues.

But then the very ordinary acting and unnecessary extra style has killed the spirit of the movie. Except Anthony Hopkins, none other makes any impression. This goes even for Natalie Portman, who is always promising in many movies. Due to this ordinary acting some scenes doesn't really convey the feelings that director wanted. E.g. the scene at the end where Natalie Portman leaves all hope and cut the phone, should have made a good impact. But instead we just wait for the end of that scene.

Other than acting, some unnecessary love for style demoralizes the movie. Showing so cool villains is good for Hollywood movies not for Superheroes The background of the USA is also only for making style and not much intelligent advantage of this background can be seen. Especially at the end, all those dhishhum- dhishhum were utterly unnecessary. May be director has an impression that the climax in Hollywood movies must have such fights. They look unrealistic, increase the length of the movie and make sure that the people are leaving theater before the movie ends.

Over and all, I find the movie once watchable. If it is coming on TV or you can get it on rent its OK. But then again make sure that you have the remote and forward button handy. Next time, when the movie is on TV, you can safely watch other channels.

Another solid Marvel superhero film

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
10 February 2015

"Thor" is another directorial effort from Academy Award nominated Actor, director and writer Kenneth Branagh. The film features Chris Hemsworth as the hero, Tom Hiddleston as his brother, Anthony Hopkins as their dad and Natalie Portman, Kat Dennings and Stellan Skarsgård as a trio of scientists. Idris Elba plays a minor part too and made the most of it. This was the second or third time I watched this movie and I have to say it really lost most of its charm during rewatch. The one thing that stays in the mind though is the brilliantly looking gigantic rainbow bridge.

There were quite a few negative things about this as well. One big flaw is the sound. The voices are just so silent while the action sequences are way too loud. Hemsworth does a solid job, but Natalie Portman was a bit of a disappointment here. Shortly after her Academy award win, this must be one of the weakest performances of her career. The "O M G"-moment was downright cringeworthy and there are two or three more scenes like that. Apart from that, I wonder what Thor saw in her. Dennings' character is far cooler, more interesting, funny and seemingly a great time to be with, if she doesn't attack you with her taser. But of course Portman is the bigger star and the much better scientist in this film, so yeah, they took her as Thor's love interest. Oh and finally Stellan Skarsgård completes the trio. not much to say here. Solid performance, but not too much to work with. His short scene after the closing credits was probably the most interesting thing about him.

This film had no happy end for Portman's character and Thor, but it's obviously not final. Loki said there is other ways to get to Planet Earth and there is already another Thor movie out and there will be a third and he is also in the Avengers films, so... lots of room left for relationship and character development. What I did like about the film was the hammer storyline that not everybody could pull it out, but I would have preferred if he had actually managed to take it after his transformation instead of the hammer flying right at him, when he fought that strange robot-like creature Loki sent. Said creature was actually a weak-point. I'd have this film preferred to stay a bit closer to its Nordic roots than go full super-hero movie because so many already do and it could have made for a nice change. Hopkins and Thor's gang also did not do too much for me. I think they could have cut at least 15 minutes from this slightly-under 2-hour film and it would have improved the overall quality.

The frost giants were okay as villains, but not half as interesting as Loki. Tom Hiddleston does a fine job here with portraying Thor's tortured "brother" with whom you never know if he is caring, ruthless or just plain evil. Or if he is loyal and if yes, then towards whom. Easily one of the film's highlights and some awards bodies agree. All in all, I recommend this film. It had actually a great opportunity to turn out as a somewhat different creative superhero film, but unfortunately it still stayed fairly generic and (too) close to the genre. That does not mean, however, that it's a bad film. If you enjoy superhero films, you will probably have a good time watching this.

Thor The God Of Thunder has Arrived

Author: Terryfan from United States
3 February 2015

I pick up Thor on DVD right after The Avengers and Thor The Dark World were release, I felt I should follow the story of the films since they all tie into each other and it helps understand the Avengers more at least with how Thor and Loki play into the film.

Thor (Played by Chris Hemsworth) along with his brother Loki (Played by Tom Hiddleston) Thor's childhood friend Lady Sif (Played by Jaimie Alexander) warriors of Asgard. After a battle that starts a war between the Frost Giants and their King, Laufey (Played by Colm Feore)

Odin(Played by Anthony Hopkins) Thor's father vanishes his son from Asgard and send to Earth. his wife and mother of Thor Frigga (Played by Rene Russo) also forbids his return.

On Earth, Thor befriends Dr.Jane Foster (Played by Natalie Portman) Darcy Lewis (Played by Kat Dennings) and Dr.Erik Selvig ( Played by Stellan Skarsgard) as he tries to make use of his surroundings on Earth.

After watching the film I have to say I very much enjoy it because it was different from other Marvel based films and I didn't have huge highs going into the film.

I do know some history to Thor and own one comic book in my collection, but I did research Marvel's Thor before getting the movie so it helps to understand the character.

The cast was a wise mix of actors to play the roles Chris Hemsworth became a star after Thor, Tom Hiddleston was great as Loki you could tell he had fun playing the brother of Thor of course Anthony Hopkins was a wise choice to play Odin he fit into the role perfectly so well done.

The action in the film was very well thought along with the music fit each scene in the film.

Thor is just one of those films you can enjoy for the story and performance of the cast.

So if you're a fan of Thor and Marvel you will enjoy this movie.

I give Thor an 8 out of 10

I vote 1/10.Because it's awful to compare other MARVEL movies:

Hulk is good ;

Iron Man 1/2/3 are great;

Captain America 1/2 and Avengers are awesome;

Thor 1/2 are BAD at Logic unreasonable (FOR ADULT).

IF this movie is for 0-12 kids,and not MARVEL presents. I will not say anything ,and won't recommend any friends to see it. In my impression,MARVEL is a VERY GOOD Movie Maker and always surprised me. But THIS,There are very serious logical problems to Make you feel vulgar.

There are tons of good movie on IMDb top list. IF you think this is MARVEL presents. Watch this just waste your time and money. I am very doubt it how to get 8.0+ point on IMDb.

eh

Author: user-196-766417
2 January 2015

'Thor', in short, is a decent film that has both pros and cons. I enjoyed it immensely. It had an interesting plot, good pacing, a reasonable amount of action, great actors, and decently written characters. There were, however, two major letdowns: unnecessary, forced, heterosexual romance and rushed character development.

Pros first.

The plot was original and interesting. Thor's arrogance and destructive tendencies get him banished and he has to mature so he can wield Mjolnir again and return to Asgard. This is beautifully interwoven with Loki's secret plots and schemes to rule Asgard and win the favour of his parents. Loki's progression from protagonist to villain is incredibly fascinating, and his realistic motivations and charming exterior make him a memorable one.

Marvel, as always, has great casting directors and Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston played Thor and Loki (respectively) wonderfully. People have joked that 'Marvel grows its actors on trees' and I think this can be applied to 'Thor', in which Hemsworth and Hiddleston portray the brothers' chemistry and rivalry perfectly.

The visuals are beautiful as well. The realm of Asgard is majestic and glorious. The rainbow of the Bifrost and the stars are all displayed to enhance its beauty. Not many films these days have beauty for the sake of beauty, but Thor is one of them. All of this is backed up by a great soundtrack from composer Patrick Doyle, who manages to capture the grandiose nature of Asgard, as well as the intimate emotions of the characters.

Cons now.

'Thor', like so many other films, contains the cliché of unnecessary heterosexual romance. The chemistry between Thor and Jane is incredibly forced and irritating, and seems to be no more a superficial infatuation. Their awkward exchanges left me cringing with secondhand embarrassment. Jane is reduced to a love interest and a plot device for Thor's character development, the unfortunate fate of so many female characters these days.

Thor's development from bullheaded, arrogant idiot to sensible, intelligent hero is too rushed. Played out only over two days, Thor's sudden desire to sacrifice himself for his new-found friends earns him the right to wield Mjolnir again. This is obviously too sudden, and perhaps another half-hour of screen time would have done this film good. Also, self-sacrifice is by no means a determination of maturity and/or humility, so Thor's immediate refusal to destroy the Frost Giants afterwards seems rather stretched and implausible.

Sadly, the cons are both major plot points of the story and have reduced an otherwise good film to a 6/10.

Thor a good movie

Author: yashrajs536 from India
18 December 2014

When I watched the movie I was really happy by it its story acting action and by direction I am lucky that I watched this movie in theatre.

It is true that the 3D effects were not up to the expectations but except it all was good this movie was not awesome or great but good at its place.

Basically I not watch the god-kingdom type movies but surprised by this one the VFX work was also good at its place the team had worked good on this flick.

Really I will watch its sequel if it comes in future waiting for it to come I had not expectation firstly from it but after watching it I was satisfied that Thor can also be a superhero.

Thor

Author: Phil Hubbs from UK
18 November 2014

So we have the next big Marvel hero adaptation on the long highway to 'The Avengers' with 'Iron Man' so far being a surprise decent film, this time its Thor's turn to roll the dice. Again I am pleasantly surprised at how reasonably competent this film is, I thought this would be a hideous mess but actually its not too bad. I'm not gonna get carried away and say its a brilliant film as it isn't, in my opinion 'Iron Man' is better but this is OK despite the silly material. Branagh has done well in his attempt and done half the work in the casting, all players add good realism and gravitas to the cheesy plot allowing the film to just about get by. Hopkins, Hemsworth and Hiddleston are the best contributors of course and were great choices for the roles, they looked right and didn't come across camp in any way.

The effects are decent and not too obvious, a very colourful and vivid film and some good stand out moments like the Rancor type creature on Jotunheim showcasing decent CGI. The Frost Giants looked reasonable but slightly childish for me whilst the giant metallic Destroyer looked rather B-movie-ish and tacky to be honest, a bit like Gort from 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' (1951). Asgard was impressive and colourful looking neat n sharp harking back to cityscape's of the new Star Wars trilogy and just as good.

I'm not up on the whole Thor comicbook plot to be honest but I admit I still found faults with things in the film, obviously Thor and his homeworld are aliens, an alien race (which are exactly the same as humans? hmm) but also somehow manage to have horses ale roast beef pork etc...in their realm too? kinda silly methinks, oh and everyone speaks English it seems.

There is nice humour throughout which is good, Thor getting accustomed to earth has good moments, but The Warriors Three felt way too farcical and lame frankly, they just came across as inept posh talking sidekicks much like C3PO from 'Star Wars', they also looked like characters from a kids cartoon which let down the rest of the quite good costumes.

You never find out about the other realms, there is no real reason for why Odin goes into a coma or sleep and the Frost Giants did seem kinda lame, uninspired and unoriginal (if they were made for the film?) with a silly name. Of course if you know the comicbook all this might be common knowledge but for myself it isn't.

Overall I liked this but lets face it it was pretty hokey really, a modern day Flash Gordon if we're being honest here, it wasn't camp but it was very very gentle and cartoony which I did suspect as Thor is a hard character to put on film I think. Its a valiant attempt but I just think it could of been better or a bit more serious and less like an action figure promotion.

Was never going to be an epic... Has its moments none the less

Author: Scott Hind
20 October 2014

I'm no fan of superhero movies. I find them a mind numbing mash of explosions and idiotic dialogue. When watching Thor I thought I was in for the same. The answer... Yes and no.

Let's start with the negative because let be honest their more fun. The plot towards the end is daft. Like most superhero/action/sci-fi movies it starts well then blows everything up with a dull predictable supposed climax. The over theatrical dialogue for asguard can be a little much, almost like its ripping itself off. Laufey is a pretty forgettable villein and some other charatures are under developed. The biggest problem of this film is having a brilliant classical actor, Antony Hopkins, reduced to a grumpy old man.

OK negatives out the way let's move on to the pluses. This has to be the most beautiful superhero movie ever made and I'm not talking about Natalie Portman, (ok maybe a little). Chris Hemsworth gives a fantastically underrated performance as he portrays the change from arrogant hothead to respectable and likable hero.

The saving grace of this movie though is the comedy. This film is fantastically funny. Using juxtaposition to perfection, and brilliant banter.

All in all, not as good as say the dark knight trilogy but an enjoyable film well worth a watch.

Marvel's original superhero Thor didn't have a beard.

Author: John Wayne Peel (jwpeel@tiac.net) from United States
10 May 2012

Except for this, I loved this movie. But I can't say it doesn't make me crazy. The casting is right... the story fun and riveting and the special effects superb. But what makes me nuts is Marvel catering to later generations of fans by making a black Nick Fury and ignoring the Peter Parker/Betty Brant romance and skipping right ahead to Mary Jane. Noe there is another Spidery pic with changes I don 't like. I am referring to an absence if J. Jonah Jameson. WTF? I am a connosseur of Marvel Comics going back to its beginnings, mind you.

Still I did love the movie and look forward to seeing The Avengers movie.

Thor he's a jolly good fellow

Author: jc-osms from United Kingdom
9 May 2012

Being more of a DC comics guy myself, I know little more about Thor other than he has big hair, a big cape and a big hammer. I suppose he's as close as Marvel got to a Superman- type hero, but with more angst, as expelled for youthful bravado in confronting his home world Asgard's old enemies the Frost Kings, he finds himself exiled on Earth,where he quickly (too quickly in my opinion) goes native there, getting caught up in defying the authorities and falling for Natale Portman.

The film itself entertains with its sword and sorcery plot-line and neatly contrasts the fantastical world of Asgard and Jottenheim with modern-day America. The story of sibling rivalry is as old as the Old Testament and creates suitable tension in the narrative, while Anthony Hopkins presides over his sons' feuding with the necessary gravitas.

The action sequences are especially well done, including the first battle with the Frost Giants, Loki's dispute with Haemdell and especially Thor and his band's fight with the seemingly invincible Destroyer. The c-gen SFX are suitably dream-scape in scale, particularly the depiction of the Bifrost Rainbow Bridge.

The acting is serviceable rather than memorable, only Hopkins making you look more at him than the scenery behind him and while I understand the interpolation of S.H.I.E.L.D for continuity reasons leading up to the Avengers movie, for me they were still a distracting presence.

All told though, this more grounded super-hero movie was better suited to my taste than those aimed closer at the lucrative market for 13 year old viewers of others of the same ilk.