IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Thunderously good entertainment !

Author: janus-20 from United Kingdom
25 April 2011

Straight to the point, this was not only one of the better ones, its one of the few really good ones. I'm sure anyone reading this knows what i'm getting at, they either get these right or they get them wrong. Well this ones right, very right, from start to finish, epic, spectacular, warm, funny, action packed.

The story draws you in, the characters are likable, the pace is just right, doesn't race along, but doesn't plod either. Great cast, particularly Chris Hemsworth, if Captain America and Green Lantern can keep up this standard then it'll be a good summer season.

Ken's pulled it all together. Go and watch it, i cant imagine you wont enjoy it and if you think i'm being paid to say this then get stuffed !!

Nice visuals but terrible movie

Author: Asbjorns1 from Denmark
9 May 2011

The graphics and visuals of the movie were impressive. However as a movie it was no better than a B-movie. Storyline is dull, and something we have seen a million times before.

An untried youth (Thor) who wants to prove his worth, but manages only to invoke the wrath of his elders (odin), he is then cast into banishment where he must prove his worth and make wise decisions in order to prove himself and return to his home.

While this concept may still work, I think the characters are extremely superficial and boring. And furthermore, as a Scandinavian I'm pretty disgusted by the rendition of Asgard and its inhibitors. They have only scratched the surface of the characters (how they originally were described) should behave, and they are in no way as barbaric as they should be.

Also, what the hell is up with the casting? Some of the gods are Asians and black, and Sif is dark-haired and not the wife of Thor? Taken from Wikipedia "Sif is the wife of the god Thor and is known for her golden hair." That is literally what she is known for. I am no racist person but they should all be tall, blond and brutal.

Terrible movie :(

Powerful Family Dynamic and Beautiful Landscape

Author: featheredsun from United States
8 September 2011

This is a throw-off piece of Marvel fiction that is packed full of cliché and predictability...to a point.

I found myself cringing at a lot of the scenes of heroism and there's a definite stink of pure cheetos-stained fanboyism in many of the scenes in general, with the usual over-the-top "glory" of this old four-color trope.

But certain things caught my attention as well-done.

First, Asgard is absolutely beautiful. They went all out in making a realm of metallic and elemental grandeur. I had no trouble in buying this as the realm of Asgard, the ultimate land of beautiful heroism. In particular, the rainbow bridge, the weaponry, and the interior scenes were very fitting in general style and specific detail. Very impressive visually and even thematically.

Second, Branagh's touch can be seen with Shakespearean flair in the family of Odin the AllFather. Odin himself is brimmed with both the rime of age and the wisdom that comes with it and yet his voice can instantly summon fearful authority. Hopkins does well with that balance, even through some cheesy scripting.

And the brothers... the sibling rivalry here is very very potent in that it is nuanced and fully realized by both actors. There is love there, but also a lack of understanding, envy, and hate. Loki is far from a cardboard villain, in that we see, all in one package - a fighter who protects his allies, an honest counselor, a liar, a cautious thinker, a smooth tongue, and an awkward one. He loves and reveres his father, but comes to almost fatally doubt him and even hate him...but it's all very real and very stirring. And even when it's clear that he's done very grim deeds, you can actually understand and accept his motives...and his last scene in the film brings all three of the family men together in a very poignant moment of utter loss.

I was pretty surprised how moving this all was, especially when put in the middle of some otherwise-uninspiring hero pablem.

So in summary, this movie both met my negative expectation of disappointment and surprised me with some purely moving content. See it to see if it surprises you at all as well, and forget the whole comic-book hero thing, since that's been done far better.

Thanks for reading.

Thor? Thorough crap more like it

Author: Klimis Kerry from Greece
16 November 2013

The only reason why I would give this the extra point is the effort that went into making the effects for this movie. In my view this is one of the worst marvel films; no, one of the worst super-hero films ever made. The plot is so shallow - I know it is based on the comic, I know... - the hairdos are awful, the roles are as cliché-ed as it gets, I could go on. And I will. On what basis does Portman fall for Thor? And on what basis does Thor fall for Portman? Also, the only reason that Thor and Loki engage in battle is that the latter threatened to kill the mortal woman that Thor is so in love with for no apparent reason? Don't people usually hold screenings for movies? How did this one make it to the theaters? Did anyone actually went and saw it? This is an insult to Scandinavian mythology; so much so that I believe it should be banned from theaters worldwide. I mean, come on... really? Really?!

Shallow, Superficial, Boring...

Author: keremgo from Istanbul, Turkey
22 July 2013

It was really a bad movie. Sorry Thor fans. I personally never been a fan of these fake god characters. Humans with superpowers who believe they are gods. Never made sense since I was a little kid.

Perhaps I don't like it, because of the effect of deep and well executed stories of movies like Drive and Europa Report, everything on THOR felt like shallow, superficial and boring...

There are 3 worlds in total, one little town in earth, one world of the ice dudes and Asgard (or whatever) - Most of the movie took place in a little (I mean really little) town in USA (perhaps nothing but a movie set). You can see it's ending on high altitude shots and population was perhaps 100 people? Dialogs are meaningless, character interactions are superficial (an ordinary girl of earth fell in love with a handsome "god" wow!) story is extremely simple. I'm taking that much simple stories as an insult to my intellect. I think the people hated from Prometheus are probably people who loved THOR, since there's nothing deep and complicated going on, to think about after movie.

These line of characters and stories were good on earlier movies. Iron Man 1 and 2 was good, The Incredible Hulk was really good. But with Thor and Avengers they started to ruin it. Iron Man 3 wasn't different also. Pointless, repetitive, superficial, shallow...

I still didn't see Captain America which has connection to these series of movies because of the Avengers. I don't know if I can stand with another "America saves the world kills all the bad guys with different colors and cultures from other countries" flick.

Watch it only if you are HUGE fan of that comic character...

Not impressed :(

Author: Nicamber1 from United States
12 September 2011

Unfortunately this movie doesn't compare to such movies as Iron Man. Dialogue didn't keep me very interested. Even the battle scenes didn't keep me very interested, they were very short lived.

Once Thor arrived on earth, he met Natalie Portman, whose character and relationship with Thor I just couldn't connect with.

My favorite scene in the movie is when Thor is retrieving his hammer and Jeremy Renner is the sniper. Love Jeremy Renner! Besides Jeremy Renner, Thor's brother was enjoyable to watch. He had so much more personality. He wasn't so drab. I enjoyed watching the villain more then the hero!

Me Thor, You Jane

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
27 May 2011

The Marvel Comic hero Thor of course based on the ancient Norse God of Thunder comes to the big screen in a fine version with very nice computer graphic special effects. And it has the added attraction of a classical actor like Kenneth Branagh directing and having the lines of the Norse immortals spoken as if the Bard had written them.

As played by Chris Hemsworth, Thor's been exiled to Earth, the last time he visited there was when the ancient Norse were worshiping him and other such beings who visited from Asgaard. Thor's a warrior, but it takes more than being mighty in battle to rule as his father Odin keeps patiently trying to tell him.

Anthony Hopkins another actor with classical acting chops plays Odin and I wonder if Hopkins might have envied Laurence Olivier for getting the plum role of Zeus in a film. He's now equaled him in playing another immortal deity.

Thor lands on Earth, New Mexico to be specific and runs into scientific researcher Jane and she tickles his fancy the same way that other Jane rang Tarzan's bell. Natalie Portman is the object of Hemsworth's affections.

But back on Asgaard Thor's brother Loki as played by Tom Higglesworth is plotting a palace coup of his own. That leads to a really spectacular fight to the finish as Thor's mighty hammer gives a few folks an attitude adjustment.

Branagh served up a fine tasty dish for those who like their comic book heroes. Hopefully we'll see these folks again in some further adventures.

Pleasant Surprise

Author: smlubecki from Buffalo, New York
20 July 2011

When I heard they were making a movie of the character Thor I had serious trepidations. When I heard that Kenneth Branagh was directing it I had even more trepidation not due to the fact that it was Branagh but the fact that all he's ever directed was drama's.

Going into the theater I very low expectations from this film and man was I blown away. I like the fact that Branagh didn't approach the story as a super-hero film but more of a Shakespearing epic. The fantasy elements alone were marvelous.

Anthony Hopkins IS Odin...I cannot imaging another actor portraying him. His performance as Odin captures the essence of the character and the delicate balance of ruler verses father. He exudes power with subtle touches of vulnerability.

Chris Hemsworth is outstanding as Thor. He's got such a likability about him that even at Thor's most arrogant point in the story you can see how his friends stand by him. His performance is rock solid and extremely enjoyable.

Tom Hiddleston is THE perfect Loki. He's captured the sleazy, slimy, be nice to your face but looking for a place to drive the knife in your back nature of the character.

As I had stated earlier the story plays out as more of a fantasy epic than a dyed in the wool super-hero story. The journey into Jotenheim was stunning and Asgard itself was just beautiful to behold. The set designs were excellent. The humor in the film was very organic and never seemed forced. The story itself was very well balanced and didn't leave you wondering what the heck was going on. I almost wish they'd have kept it separate from the upcoming Marvel films. It works very well as a stand alone epic.

The effect's that I was expecting to be sub-standard were in fact top notch and even Thors trademark spinning hammer from the comics didn't look as cheesy as it could have.

This movie is a gem. All parties involved should be proud of themselves for bringing such a great piece of work to the screen. I for one cannot wait to see a sequel to this film. With any luck we'll see some of the other nine realms such as Muspelheim, Alfheim or even Vanaheim.

This is definitely a MUST SEE film

Hail the Mighty Thor!

Author: ChadFeldheimer from Australia
19 April 2011

Okay, so Thor is pretty darn decent. Phew. Without revealing anything regarding the plot, I'll just say that I enjoyed this film quite a lot, and would rate it above both Iron Man films, but not by too much. (If you hated them maybe just stay away from Marvel movies in general?) Very good in all areas, without achieving greatness in any sums up this movie nicely I think. Beautiful costumes and set design, solid acting all around, and much better action than recent movies have offered up. The world of Asgard has been handled wonderfully, looking absolutely gorgeous, and with all of its denizens very well spoken without their dialogue ever being as obtuse or clunky as Thor's 'Ye Olde' English has been known to be in the past. Special mention to Idris Elba for being friggin' awesome. I'm a pretty big Marvel fan, but not knowing what Mjolnir is won't harm your enjoyment of Thor to any great degree I don't think. Also, side note, I personally dislike 3D with a great, burning passion (thank you Clash of the Titans), but it is relatively well done here, never distracting from the film. I would still recommend seeing it in 2D if you can though, as it is quite dark in parts. Several parts. Bring on the Avengers!

Thor-oughly entertained by this one

Author: big_ryan15 from Australia
27 April 2011

I have to admit, i had low expectations for this adaptation. Hulk yeah sure, Iron man, why not, Captain America, its set in the real word of course it'll work. But THOR? A wildly fantastical tale of Norse Gods and Rainbow bridges and nicknamed hammers ?? Surely not! Ill stop with the bashing; this film is astonishing. The oddest thing has happened here. Coupling notoriously artsy director Kenneth Branagh with one of Marvels most theatrical characters was a stroke of genius. At the beginning of the film, we are quickly introduced to Jane Foster, her whimsical offsider and an older gentleman. Storm chasers aren't normally this clever you might think to yourself during this opening scene, but alas, they are revealed to actually be physicists after a few minutes. An incredible storm arrives and THOR HAS LANDED: or so you would think. Mere moments after being introduced to our title character we are thrust on an astrological journey to Asgard, land of gods. Here we are introduced to Odin, the all father and his 2 young boys; Loki and Thor. Odin recites stories of an ancient war in which a planet load of frost giants planned to destroy the realm of Midgard (earth) before Odin and his merry men stepped in to save humanity. It is during this scene we are first shown Thor's arrogance and thirst for war. Skip ahead a few years and THOR has become Asgard's mightiest warrior, just as Odin had foretold. A celebration is occurring, Thor is about to be crowned as king of Asgard, but alas... this glorious day is interrupted by none other than said FrostGiants attempting to steal a stolen heirloom from Asgard's weapons locker.. The story rapidly gains traction from here. Thor marches into the Frost Giants planet (against his fathers will) in all his Aussie glory, kicking ass and taking names. He and his friends become swiftly over powered and Odin is left no choice but to step in. An argument erupts in which Odin tells Thor of his assholness and douchebaggery and that he is no longer worthy of his giant hammer Mjolnir or his god of Thunder status. Cast down to Earth the audience is reunited with the opening scene and we are officially filled in. A bevy of comedic scenes follow in which Chris hemsworth's THOR is tranquillised and run over multiple times. The film transitions backwards and forwards between our world and that of Asgard so as to keep us informed on going ons. Odin goes into a coma and Thor's mischievous bro Loki starts to come into his own. A marvellous story unfolds filled with action, humour, heartache and a whole heap of awesome!! Branagh's eye for curious shots is on full show here and works fabulously in creating a beautifully surreal Asgard. The films close is a little rushed but is also very heartfelt and strong. Leaving plenty of room for more character development, THOR is as good as if not better than every comic film to date, the characters were superbly cast and played and the story follows as close as it can to the source material as it can without being too over the top. Spectacularly fun movie, worthy of the Marvel name tag and certainly a sequel. 10 out of 10 for performance and entertainment....

Make sure to stay after the credits for the Captain America nod.

Page 2 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]