IMDb > Thor (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Thor

Thor More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Nice visuals but terrible movie

Author: Asbjorns1 from Denmark
9 May 2011

The graphics and visuals of the movie were impressive. However as a movie it was no better than a B-movie. Storyline is dull, and something we have seen a million times before.

An untried youth (Thor) who wants to prove his worth, but manages only to invoke the wrath of his elders (odin), he is then cast into banishment where he must prove his worth and make wise decisions in order to prove himself and return to his home.

While this concept may still work, I think the characters are extremely superficial and boring. And furthermore, as a Scandinavian I'm pretty disgusted by the rendition of Asgard and its inhibitors. They have only scratched the surface of the characters (how they originally were described) should behave, and they are in no way as barbaric as they should be.

Also, what the hell is up with the casting? Some of the gods are Asians and black, and Sif is dark-haired and not the wife of Thor? Taken from Wikipedia "Sif is the wife of the god Thor and is known for her golden hair." That is literally what she is known for. I am no racist person but they should all be tall, blond and brutal.

Terrible movie :(

Why?

Author: Flemming Guldberg Lassen from Denmark
3 November 2011

Again we witness how you spoil a rather good movie. After 5 minutes I was ready to stop it, and read a newspaper! WHY...please tell me WHY is there Asians and Afro Americans in Asgard? I'm ABSOULTE NOT racist, but I'm Danish, and when I watch a movie which should tell a story from the Nordic mythology, It p..... me off that it has to be "sooo political correct", no matter that it totally spoils the movie.

Could have been a rather good movie, but turned out trashy. No, I won't see no. 2-3-4-5-6 or 7 in the series. All this because Americans need to please the political crowd. That's just awful.

If toy want to make a movie like this, then please research, and cast as good as you can. This is just so wrong.

Powerful Family Dynamic and Beautiful Landscape

Author: featheredsun from United States
8 September 2011

This is a throw-off piece of Marvel fiction that is packed full of cliché and predictability...to a point.

I found myself cringing at a lot of the scenes of heroism and there's a definite stink of pure cheetos-stained fanboyism in many of the scenes in general, with the usual over-the-top "glory" of this old four-color trope.

But certain things caught my attention as well-done.

First, Asgard is absolutely beautiful. They went all out in making a realm of metallic and elemental grandeur. I had no trouble in buying this as the realm of Asgard, the ultimate land of beautiful heroism. In particular, the rainbow bridge, the weaponry, and the interior scenes were very fitting in general style and specific detail. Very impressive visually and even thematically.

Second, Branagh's touch can be seen with Shakespearean flair in the family of Odin the AllFather. Odin himself is brimmed with both the rime of age and the wisdom that comes with it and yet his voice can instantly summon fearful authority. Hopkins does well with that balance, even through some cheesy scripting.

And the brothers... the sibling rivalry here is very very potent in that it is nuanced and fully realized by both actors. There is love there, but also a lack of understanding, envy, and hate. Loki is far from a cardboard villain, in that we see, all in one package - a fighter who protects his allies, an honest counselor, a liar, a cautious thinker, a smooth tongue, and an awkward one. He loves and reveres his father, but comes to almost fatally doubt him and even hate him...but it's all very real and very stirring. And even when it's clear that he's done very grim deeds, you can actually understand and accept his motives...and his last scene in the film brings all three of the family men together in a very poignant moment of utter loss.

I was pretty surprised how moving this all was, especially when put in the middle of some otherwise-uninspiring hero pablem.

So in summary, this movie both met my negative expectation of disappointment and surprised me with some purely moving content. See it to see if it surprises you at all as well, and forget the whole comic-book hero thing, since that's been done far better.

Thanks for reading.

Hail the Mighty Thor!

Author: ChadFeldheimer from Australia
19 April 2011

Okay, so Thor is pretty darn decent. Phew. Without revealing anything regarding the plot, I'll just say that I enjoyed this film quite a lot, and would rate it above both Iron Man films, but not by too much. (If you hated them maybe just stay away from Marvel movies in general?) Very good in all areas, without achieving greatness in any sums up this movie nicely I think. Beautiful costumes and set design, solid acting all around, and much better action than recent movies have offered up. The world of Asgard has been handled wonderfully, looking absolutely gorgeous, and with all of its denizens very well spoken without their dialogue ever being as obtuse or clunky as Thor's 'Ye Olde' English has been known to be in the past. Special mention to Idris Elba for being friggin' awesome. I'm a pretty big Marvel fan, but not knowing what Mjolnir is won't harm your enjoyment of Thor to any great degree I don't think. Also, side note, I personally dislike 3D with a great, burning passion (thank you Clash of the Titans), but it is relatively well done here, never distracting from the film. I would still recommend seeing it in 2D if you can though, as it is quite dark in parts. Several parts. Bring on the Avengers!

Surprisingly Good

Author: gavin6942 from United States
12 May 2012

The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.

I have enjoyed Thor as a supporting and humorous character in the past -- both in "Adventures in Babysitting" and one of the early Hulk movies. But I was never convinced he could be the leading character... his story is a strange one outside of Norse mythology.

But here, I think it worked. For me, the biggest concern is how do you reconcile Thor being a god with the other gods of the world? For Christians, there is only one god, so calling Thor a god calls everything into question (in the Marvel Universe). But they made it work here by strongly suggesting he is not, in fact, a god, but was merely seen as one by the old Norse people because his strength was so superior to theirs. Nice save.

Thor? Thorough crap more like it

Author: Weatherman Tom from Greece
16 November 2013

The only reason why I would give this the extra point is the effort that went into making the effects for this movie. In my view this is one of the worst marvel films; no, one of the worst super-hero films ever made. The plot is so shallow - I know it is based on the comic, I know... - the hairdos are awful, the roles are as cliché-ed as it gets, I could go on. And I will. On what basis does Portman fall for Thor? And on what basis does Thor fall for Portman? Also, the only reason that Thor and Loki engage in battle is that the latter threatened to kill the mortal woman that Thor is so in love with for no apparent reason? Don't people usually hold screenings for movies? How did this one make it to the theaters? Did anyone actually went and saw it? This is an insult to Scandinavian mythology; so much so that I believe it should be banned from theaters worldwide. I mean, come on... really? Really?!

Shallow, Superficial, Boring...

Author: keremgo from Istanbul, Turkey
22 July 2013

It was really a bad movie. Sorry Thor fans. I personally never been a fan of these fake god characters. Humans with superpowers who believe they are gods. Never made sense since I was a little kid.

Perhaps I don't like it, because of the effect of deep and well executed stories of movies like Drive and Europa Report, everything on THOR felt like shallow, superficial and boring...

There are 3 worlds in total, one little town in earth, one world of the ice dudes and Asgard (or whatever) - Most of the movie took place in a little (I mean really little) town in USA (perhaps nothing but a movie set). You can see it's ending on high altitude shots and population was perhaps 100 people? Dialogs are meaningless, character interactions are superficial (an ordinary girl of earth fell in love with a handsome "god" wow!) story is extremely simple. I'm taking that much simple stories as an insult to my intellect. I think the people hated from Prometheus are probably people who loved THOR, since there's nothing deep and complicated going on, to think about after movie.

These line of characters and stories were good on earlier movies. Iron Man 1 and 2 was good, The Incredible Hulk was really good. But with Thor and Avengers they started to ruin it. Iron Man 3 wasn't different also. Pointless, repetitive, superficial, shallow...

I still didn't see Captain America which has connection to these series of movies because of the Avengers. I don't know if I can stand with another "America saves the world kills all the bad guys with different colors and cultures from other countries" flick.

Watch it only if you are HUGE fan of that comic character...

Not impressed :(

Author: Nicamber1 from United States
12 September 2011

Unfortunately this movie doesn't compare to such movies as Iron Man. Dialogue didn't keep me very interested. Even the battle scenes didn't keep me very interested, they were very short lived.

Once Thor arrived on earth, he met Natalie Portman, whose character and relationship with Thor I just couldn't connect with.

My favorite scene in the movie is when Thor is retrieving his hammer and Jeremy Renner is the sniper. Love Jeremy Renner! Besides Jeremy Renner, Thor's brother was enjoyable to watch. He had so much more personality. He wasn't so drab. I enjoyed watching the villain more then the hero!

Incredible Action and Fantasy but with a Superb Story! Best in Years!

Author: John_T_Chance from The Attic
26 April 2011

Another outstanding effort, Marvel does it again! It's hard to believe that a movie with this subject matter can make you think and challenge all your movie viewing skills but it does so and more. It's very artistic and you would expect no less from Kenneth Branagh. He presents the entire film in a way that can be savored. Many aspects are classical drama and yet other aspects are just plain old fun kick-butt action scenes. It's a perfect blend and this movie is far deeper then I would've thought. The pacing was perfect as is the link to the Marvel movie Universe... I can't wait to see what Captain America brings us. Overall, a summer movie that's superior to everything else that I've seen in years.

The director's background in Shakespearian themes comes in to play right from the beginning of the film and run throughout. Thor is a super-strong "god" and can travel through space with supernatural powers yet the story is paradoxical and contrary about those elements instead choosing to focus on the human elements. THAT elevates this film far beyond anything I was expecting but I should have known better considering the source material and the director.

The genuine and relatable qualities of these characters are what make it a great film. Sure, the action and fantasy are incredible but the story works so well. The family dynamics between fathers & sons along with sibling rivalry and the price of vanity and lack of humility all resonate. The choices made and the relationships on display are as wonderful as the brawling and action... which are as good as any summer movie that I've seen in years.

A movie worthy of Thor!

Author: TheUnseenMovieLover from United Kingdom
26 April 2011

Wow. That was the first thing I thought after seeing Thor. I'd read the strong reviews, I loved the choice of Kenneth Branagh as director and the trailers looked great. But I still wasn't prepared for how satisfying this movie would be. This is the very definition of epic, and I LOVED it.

Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is a God of Norse mythology, son of Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and brother of Loki (Tom Hiddleston). When Thor disobeys his father and sparks an ancient war with the Frost Giants, Odin banishes him from the realm of Asgard and casts him down to Earth. With the help of a trio of humans (including Natalie Portman's Jane), Thor struggles to fit in on Earth whilst looking for a way to return to Asgard. Meanwhile, the devious Loki plots for his father's throne…

Simply put, Thor is the best superhero movie since The Dark Knight. The idea of Norse gods and warriors who dress, sound and look like pompous Vikings (some of whom interact with modern humans), multiple universes, rainbow bridges and Frost Giants must have seemed pretty hard to pull off without being silly, especially when this hero eventually has to meet with more "realistic" superheroes such as Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America in next year's The Avengers movie. But Branagh has taken something potentially camp and cheesy and turned it into a powerful, strangely relatable story; there are quite a few Shakespearian elements in Thor's story, something which Branagh is an undeniable master at adapting to the screen. Plus, Branagh and the screenwriters also inject a much-needed humour into the proceedings without unbalancing the emotion and surprising seriousness of the story. The most impressive thing about Thor is the way it treads a pitch-perfect line between respecting the material and winking at its audience knowingly (most notably with a certain cameo). In that way, it's reminiscent of The Mask of Zorro, never taking itself too seriously whilst never allowing itself to slip into parody.

Branagh also proves to be a master at creating an epic summer blockbuster. Apart from a few dodgy moments, the visual effects are stunning; in fact, this is probably the most visually impressive film I have seen from Marvel thus far. The production design is also beautiful; Asgard is one of the most incredible movie landscapes I have ever seen. My eyes were stretched to breaking point, trying to drink in all the details of this new, exciting and opulent world. There are some moments which look a bit fake (which is annoying when the filmmakers had about $150 million to work with), but it's almost forgivable based on how spectacular the majority of the visual FX shots are. Credit must go to the FX and art direction departments.

But a summer blockbuster wouldn't be a summer blockbuster without action, and Thor delivers some great sequences. The early encounters with the Frost Giants (genuinely frightening creatures) are superb, with Thor and his friends using some pretty bad-ass moves. A later scene where Thor fights to retrieve his mystical hammer, Mjolnir, is gritty and intense, whilst another great set-piece sees the metallic being known as The Destroyer hunting Thor and destroying most of a desert town in the process. I have heard that many people consider the final confrontation to be anti-climactic, but I have to say that it isn't as much about seeing epic action is it is about seeing how the main characters have grown and changed throughout the course of the film. In a way, I think that displays the film's greatest strength. It isn't all about the action and the visual effects; it's more about the characters and the emotional response.

Speaking of which, the cast is exceptional. No pay cheque grabbing here; every cast member dives into their role headfirst. Let's start with the big guy himself, Thor. Hemsworth is best known for his brilliant, five- minute appearance as Kirk Sr. in 2009's Star Trek; to go from that to the lead in arguably one of Marvel's most risky undertakings could be seen as a huge step. You wouldn't know it from watching Hemsworth's performance, though. He is absolutely perfect in the role, charting Thor's journey from an impetuous fighter to a more understanding, wiser man with ease. Comedy, action, drama, romance; all encompassed perfectly in Hemsworth's performance. He deserves to achieve stardom after this, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how he fits into The Avengers. Natalie Portman is charming and charismatic as Jane; the scenes between her and Hemsworth ooze chemistry, whilst her scenes with Stellan Skarsgard and Kat Dennings, terrific as Jane's mentor and intern respectively, shine with a wonderful camaraderie. Hiddleston steals the movie whenever he appears as the slithering, manipulative yet oddly sympathetic Loki; this is a wonderfully complex role, and Hiddleston never strikes a wrong note. Hopkins, instead of hamming it up, brings powerful gravitas to Odin; he is intimidating, yet wise and weary from his many years of experience. The scenes between him, Hemsworth and Hiddleston are tremendous, each actor bringing all of their talent to bear and succeeding beyond all expectations. There are too many other names to mention, but rest assured everyone's sublime.

Apart from some minor quibbles, I absolutely loved this movie. Branagh, the cast and crew have succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. This encompasses everything I want from an epic adventure; action, wonder, romance, comedy and a surprising amount of character and intelligence. In my opinion, this is one of Marvel's best, taking something which could have sunk to the lows of Ghost Rider or Elektra and propelling it to the same heights as Spider-Man 1 & 2, X2 and Iron Man. Add a great pre-credits teaser for The Avengers (plus one exciting appearance from a minor member), and I couldn't be more hyped. You're up next, Captain America; don't you dare let the team down.

Page 2 of 73:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]