The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning

The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Travesty

Author: licoriceallsort from United States
4 March 2007

If anyone truly remembers the Dukes of Hazzard TV show from the late 70's and early 80's, this review will ring true with them. The TV show was about good wholesome entertainment for the entire family, with nary a swear word. This movie was clearly made to cater to teeny boppers and idiotic adults with nothing better to do than watch pointless junk on the television. This has nothing to do with the 'beginnings' of the Dukes. It is set in modern day times, with horrible casting and a misuse of Willie Nelson. In the original show, Boss and Jesse Duke were moonshiners from the '20s. By this standard, they would be moonshiners from the mid-80's. Give me a break. Please don't waste your time! And Warner Brothers, please stop using the Dukes in your craptastic films! Let them rest in peace!

Dukes in Hazzard in name only now

Author: David Isaak
12 March 2007

Growing up The Dukes of Hazzard was one of my favorite shows. The cast had charisma, and the show had an authentic, country feel to it. The 2005 movie was part of the "re-imagination" trend in movies that started with The Flintstones and continues today with this atrocity. Instead of re-imagining them in today's times they should have cast the younger Dukes in the 1960's when they would have been legit teenagers, to keep in continuity with the show. They should have done this with the 2005 movie, too. This movie is a cynical, straight-to-DVD-and-TV, bottom-of-the-barrel hack job and it barely held my attention.

The problem with the plot is that it's a low-rent version of the TV show. Aren't there any writers in Hollywood who can write an original Dukes of Hazzard movie? My guess is there are plenty, but the producers have too much contempt for their audience to think they would appreciate a gritty, true-to-the-spirit-of-Hazzard script. Fans of the original series shouldn't avoid it because of profanity, they should avoid it because it is Dukes of Hazzard in name only now.

The most important thing to me is the casting of Daisy, and they failed miserably here. In the series Daisy was a smart woman who happened to wear cut-off shorts. In 2005 she was a sexpot wearing cut-off shorts, nothing more than eye candy, playing the part as a parody. There's little to say about April Scott: she isn't even close to being a young Daisy in this movie. I'm not talking about physical proportions (although I think she's too thin for a southern Belle); I'm talking about charisma and the intangibles you need to play an iconic character. She doesn't have it.

The lameness extends to all aspects of the re-imagining. The characters have become lame caricatures of themselves, and Hazzard County is no longer the dusty, mythical Confederate backdrop it once was. There's no point in "re-imagining" the Dukes of Hazzard if you're going to get politically correct. The original series was uncynically proud to be Dixie, and that was a huge part of it's appeal. If this movie is a finger-in-the-wind to see if a new TV series will work, I hope it fails miserably in ratings and sales.

And Willie, did you really need the paycheck?

Unbelievable...??? How do they greenlight these...???

Author: sd7767 from Hickory, North Carolina USA
19 March 2007

I mean, I know it's for the money. Movie-making is a business arterial. But if they go in intending to "bilk" all the Dukes fans out there, who they know will rent or buy just because it's the Dukes, then at least stick to the proper formula. I liked American Pie too, but the crude stuff doesn't belong in a Dukes story. And what was the story, anyway? The scenes they do use seem entirely disjointed. I need to write ten lines here, so I will go on to say that I read many a user review on here, yet I post very rarely. This movie here just plain stunk. At least they didn't trash too many General Lees. But come to think of it, any more General Lees sacrificed for more lame remake movies like this are a travesty. In fact, since it's NOTHING like the real Dukes, it can't even be considered a remake anyway. I agree with many people who feel there are only one real Bo, Luke and Daisy. In fact, everyone is around except Sorrell Booke and Denver Pile. I can understand if they don't want to make another "reunion" movie, and that's okay. Just leave the General where he lays then, flying in the memory of a great TV show.

Fun film but rather disjointed

Author: kthoran from United States
4 March 2007

This movie is rather entertaining but has some glaring flaws.

To start with if we are to believe that this version of the Dukes tale is "the beginning" then the story should begin at an earlier time instead of the present day.

Additionally, the story isn't particularly compelling and doesn't reveal anything new about the origins of the Dukes of Hazzard but is instead another opportunity for the star of this franchise, the General Lee, to shine one more time which it indeed does. Humor and silliness is abundant and the eye candy is there but one is left with the feeling that this movie wasn't properly executed which perhaps explains why Warner's decided to skip releasing this at the box office.

weak leads and unfunny

Author: SnoopyStyle
21 November 2016

Bo Duke (Jonathan Bennett) gets arrested in Chickasaw County, GA for creating mayhem with his driving. Four counties over, his cousin Luke Duke (Randy Wayne) is arrested for causing fireworks mayhem. The boys are sent to work for uncle Jesse Duke (Willie Nelson) who is selling his moonshine "medicine". Daisy Duke (April Scott) is an awkward church-going virgin. Rosco P. Coltrane (Harland Williams) is the sheriff in Hazzard County. Boss Hogg (Christopher McDonald) runs the town and actually has a piece of Jesse's business. He is looking to expand and threatening to foreclose on Jesse's farm. At school, Daisy introduces her cousins to Cooter (Joel David Moore) in auto shop class. The boys find a 1969 Dodge Charger on the bottom of a swimming hole and restore it christening it 'The General Lee'.

This is a lot of T&A, sometimes bare and plenty in tight outfits. Obviously, the filmmakers know what they're going for. This is a softcore B-movie with whatever scraps they can gather. A prequel to Dukes was always going to be a high hill to jump. This is giving up before they started. None of this is that good. Sadly, none of it is expected to be good. They lured Willie Nelson back and brought out an unfunny version of Harland Williams. The two young new actors lack the charisma to lead. April Scott has her impossibly skinny waist and her Barbie-like figure. The story is a mess and none of it is funny.

Poor, crude and juvenile

Author: Enchorde from Sweden
20 January 2010

Recap: Bo and Luke Duke are cousins that have an uncanny ability for getting in trouble. To get them straightened out their parents send them to Uncle Jesse and his farm. But Uncle Jesse is pretty good at finding trouble himself, being in the moonshining business like he is. But now the town's major Boss Hogg want to maneuver him out, so the whole family must work together to save the farm. But what about young cousin Daisy, the good girl in the family…

Comments: A really juvenile and poor attempt to make a prequel of the "Young… " kind. Supposed to follow in the wake of Dukes of Hazzard (2005) but compared to that the previous looks like a masterpiece of class and intelligence. And that is saying some. The jokes in this prequel is crude, and mostly not funny at all. It is very juvenile and tries to cover up the lack of good jokes or serious story with a bunch of bare breasts and semi-nudity.

If you have seen the modern remake you might have found it rather silly. Then you might find it hard to believe that this much, and I mean much, sillier than that. It is really stupid actually. Almost all characters, apart from Uncle Jesse, that is played by Willie Nelson, and Daisy, have regressed back to being immature teenagers. Everything for being as silly as possible and desperate for (accidently) falling over a cheap joke. The result is of course that it is tiresome and boring instead.

Can't really imagine why Willie Nelson agreed to do this, I thought he had more class than this. The only other actress to leave this movie with her respect mostly intact is (beautiful) April Scott. The character Daisy seem to have some intelligence and depth, even if she too suffers from the juvenile-disease.

I liked the Dukes of Hazzard (2005). Sure, it was a little immature and silly, but in all managed to balance it pretty good. In this sequel they have lost it all and tipped over completely.

I don't see what all the complaints about

Author: Payback1016 from Canada
24 October 2008

I mean yeah, it doesn't have what I expect from the TV series that we grown to love and sure that most of the former dukes cast including Bo duke himself John Schneider didn't really like this or the other movie, but it's still good I mean it's pretty obvious they'd start out as moonshiners why do you think the TV's rosco keeps an eye on them in the series and come on all the guys that watched this movie and the seires you got to admit you liked when they uncensored daisy. and come on it's the 21st century what the filmmakers did was what the guys who made the series have been dying to do but can't because the FCC had a tighter stranglehold back then. I've seen this movie I laughed and I liked it. and I bet you guys didn't even watch it you guys just listen to what others said and thought "oh ya he's right I never seen this movie I guess because he's right I should boycott it" if that's true then watch the damn movie before you can criticize it. Oh and just so you know the moon shining business plot is not only true to the TV series but to the movie "Moonrunners". if not for that then there wouldn't be the Good ole boys.

Was never a classic

Author: Erik from California
27 August 2007

First off those reviewing this like some sort of classic was wrecked... come on. The TV show was face it, never some sort of classic. The story line, dialog and acting was always half rated. The same routine in every episode, same bad slap stick. It was never an original show, it is an good example of another bad 70's show.

Second the questioning of language and half naked girls... well it was American TV and that was the only reason you never had more in the show. So it is a teenage romp looking for excuses to make bad sexual jokes and show topless girls. That is all it is No classic was wreck and all this discussion on how the movie should have been made to hold a timeline, as though a piece of history needed to be presented properly... come one! yes I watch it when I was a boy and the fact that it was great entertainment for us as pre or early teens says something about the original... let not try to glorify mediocrity... There were some cutting edge shows in the 70s for the time period and this is hardly one of them. SNL, All in the family, Second city TV, MASH, Monty Python to name a few did something no one else did at the time.

So watch this movie if you want bad jokes, stupid dialog and an occasional excuse to see breasts bouncing around. Otherwise just keep moving on

Ashamed to say I watched it...

Author: BUCKAROOBONZAI34 from United States
22 August 2007

I grew up in the 80s, and was a loyal follower of the Dukes' TV show, so naturally I wanted to see this movie. Since it was supposed to be about the origins of the Duke boys and the General Lee I was expecting something informative and entertaining. What I got was a film about foul-mouthed teens and sexual exploitation. This is without a doubt the worst Dukes movie/show i have ever seen and I am ashamed to say I watched it. This movie was obviously aimed at the teens/young adult crowd, not that I would allow my child to go see it. The only saving grace was the above average acting of the main cast, though I'm not sure how they got Willie Nelson to be a part of this.

Not a true Dukes of Hazzard movie, waste of time, waste of potential.

Author: cole-dooley666 from Texas
2 January 2015

I was stoked to watch anything Dukes related, but then I was immediately disappointed and disgusted. The acting is terrible and the characters are not likable. The plot was forgettable I don't even know if there was one. There were so many crude and immature jokes and lines, usually sexual. Kids should not watch this movie it's so raunchy. It's nothing like our cherished old time Duke boys show, nothing like it. Willie Nelson is the only highlight of this crappy, abhorrent failure of a movie and they make Uncle Jesse say unacceptably explicit jokes as well. Don't waste your time you will instantly regret investing any amount of time viewing this p.o.s.