IMDb > Deception (2008/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deception

Deception More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Accountant Ewan McGregor finds that a sex club is a front for deception

Author: msroz from United States
30 December 2013

"Deception" is a neo-noir. The excellent cinematography takes us into an upscale world of highly-paid lawyers, accountants and analysts who wear expensive suits, work in clean modernistic surroundings, and play racquet ball in fancy gyms. Ewan McGregor is a shy accountant whom sophisticated Hugh Jackman introduces to a sex club in which these people play with anonymous partners. Not being at all the lawyer that he seems to be, Jackman traps the naive McGregor into a plot to steal $20 million. His accomplice is Michelle Williams.

Believable performances make this picture work, as does the lensing of this upper crust world. McGregor is earnest and trusts Jackman, who is very smooth. Williams is a fetching femme fatale with a soft spot. The ruse is clever. How will McGregor extricate himself? It appears as if Jackman the criminal with no scruples will win. He has McGregor in his web.

This picture is both a thriller and a neo-noir. A thriller has an exciting plot, typically involving crime. That's present here, but the picture spends a lot of time developing McGregor's character and his relationship to both Jackman and Williams. This focus tips the film into noir territory where personal and psychological elements come into play and take center stage as opposed to excitement. The dangers accompany personal foibles and errors of judgment and emotion.

The version I watched ran 95 minutes, not 107. It had no nudity or extended sex scenes. This may have helped make the movie tighter and move along more quickly.

Unlike the plethora of negative IMDb reviews, mine is favorable. This is quite a good movie, in my opinion.

oh, Hugh, Hugh

Author: blanche-2 from United States
9 January 2013

As a fan of Hugh Jackman, I eagerly watched the film "Deception," a 2008 film also starring Ewan McGregor and Michelle Williams.

The film concerns a hard-working accountant, Jim McQuarry (McGregor) who is living a rather sterile life doing audits sometimes long into the night without much else going on. He meets a charismatic, handsome attorney, Wyatt Bose (Jackman) who introduces him to the joys of a sex club. When Jim ends up with Wyatt's phone by mistake, he's introduced the "The List" of anonymous sex -- and falls hard for one of the women, whom he knows only as S because of her key chain.

Before he knows it, Jim is a suspect in a murder and the subject of threats.

"Deception" is extremely derivative though well done with its dark atmosphere. It's easy to figure out and also preposterous in parts. I love how writers just gloss over a plot point -- a critical one -- like it's nothing, leaving a hole a Mac truck could drive through. I mean, this is a spoiler but - how the heck did Jim get that passport? Actually how did Wyatt get his - not an easy thing post-9/11. I'll give you Wyatt's passport, he had the right connections. But Jim's? Sorry, I couldn't buy it.

I've seen Hugh Jackman on Broadway in A Steady Rain, that Peter Allen bio musical, and his one-man show. The man can do anything. He's gorgeous, buff, charming, sexy, a fine Broadway singer, funny and warm. But some of his film choices have been disappointing. He coproduced this one, and I fail to see what attracted him to it. He is very good and scary as hell - granted, a great part for him - but this film is truly beneath him. Ewan McGregor's Scottish burr kept coming out.

The entire cast list is that of top-notch performers - I won't say it's not worth seeing, it's okay for what it is. But what it isn't is a great film worthy of the abilities of everyone involved.

Nice footage and mood

Author: Fredrik Bendz from Sweden
31 August 2012

I loved the footage and overall mood of this movie. Michelle Williams is hot as "S" - not a perfect face but very sexy nevertheless. I hope I don't sound too sexist, but she really had something.

The plot kept my interest most of the time. I didn't find it as predictable as many other comments suggest.

*Spoiler*

Some examples: I didn't expect "S" to fall in love with McGuire. I didn't expect him to require double signatures to take out the money. I didn't expect him to leave 20 million USD behind when he could have taken it and walked away. What I did expect, once I knew "S" part of everything, was that McGuire would get the money and the girl - that didn't happen.

*End of spoiler*

As a thriller, it's about average, but the footage and overall mood lifts it to a higher score, at least in my opinion. (For some reason I, several times, associated it with the computer game Deus EX: Human Evolution).

I watched this on TV, and I found it much more exciting and interesting than most of the stuff that is being broad casted today.

Total Embarrassment For The Cast

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
10 July 2012

here is what i thought after i saw deception.first of all Hugh Jackman is also one of the producers of the film when i saw his name on credits i knew what was he drinking to make this film definitely no wine or soda its something else provoked him.i can make points about this all day long but here is what i am gonna do tell a quick review.

2 people then comes in the start Evan McGregor & Michelle William's.Evans character goes & have sex with many women as his friend told him about.

this goes bad one day when he is with girl named S he kisses her the she goes missing now the game of cat & mouse & betrayal begins.you know it when you watch it all same stuff thats done million times before .all about the money.

from the beginning to the ending. this was so embarrassing for the actors & team in making this.they all did it for money specially Hugh Jackman who ridiculously tried to be a psycho villain but making a fool of himself i was laughing all the way.one thing here if he wanted to shoot Jonathan he could have used a sniper gun or anything .things don happens this way.if it was Nicolas cage in this one i would have loved it cause he is hilarious & did these type of films many times.

i am not saying it was dull i am saying it was dumb more then dumb and dumber.i collect Hugh Jackman movies cause i am a fan this DVD is not worth it.save your money

my rating is 1/10 .an awful experience & wast of time.watch sword fish 2001 its actually a good Hugh Jackman movie or may be mi2 2000 tom cruise.

ALL Style ,NO substance

Author: healingsmile from United States
23 February 2010

I wanted to like this movie. I really did. It had all the ingredients; the potential of really good actors, great locations, sleek and stylish. I am a huge Jackman fan and McGregor is always a solid performer, but it fails. The plot was neither very interesting nor believable. On one hand Jackman plays a con artist with the foresight to lay the foundation to pull of a huge con, yet makes the most freshman mistakes taught in" Introduction to a con 101." There are more plot holes than swiss cheese, and less twist then a ruler. The writer lacked the substance and character development in his/her screenplay, and it shows. Generally, scenes are in a movie for a reason: to define a character, or maybe propel us to the next part of the story. There were too many unnecessary scenes that added nothing to the story. This movie had the the style and actors to make it work but lacked the substance in the story to make it worthwhile or entertaining.

Deceptively disappointing

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
23 September 2008

This film is about an accountant being drawn into an anonymous sex club. He soon gets into a mess that he cannot get out of.

The first half of "Deception" wants to be some kind of erotic film, while the second half turns into a crime thriller. When you want to be a lot of things at once, it turns into a mess. This is what "Deception" turns out to be. The pacing of the film is far too slow to be a thriller, and contains a lot of plot holes. For example, how did Wyatt get into Jonathan's apartment? In addition, I am unable to believe that he Jonathan would do so much for a relative stranger, even if he was attracted to her.

"Deception" is deceptively disappointing, particularly when it has such a strong cast.

Good for a director's first major movie

Author: Nick Damian from Toronto, Ontario
14 February 2009

This is the director's first credit as a director...now I'm sure that he had directed other stuff, maybe commercials or videos of sorts but as a major film, this is pretty decent.

It has a nice story to it, but I didn't like the very end...the very end...not the end or near the end...but the very end.

I found it tight and well performed, but senseless in the fact that anybody who works as an escort would just ask "Are you free tonight?' without having any idea who is answering the phone or knowing any more details.

That is the major flaw I found to this story.

The rest was good, but the stupidity of a girl randomly calling a number in hopes that somebody answers and they make a business date is pretty dumb.

That aside, I enjoyed it.

However this should have called for a depressing ending...I just felt it would have worked out better.

Where's the love?

Author: eYeDEF from United States
25 December 2008

I know there are a lot of professional geeks out there in today's world that would identify perfectly with the persona of Jonathan McQuarry (Ewan McGregar), a top flight accountant that excels on his talent of attention to detail and love of numbers, but being socially awkward and shy, as geeks sometimes are, and choosing a career that's not sexy enough to attract a social life just on its own, experience life in a shell of absolute isolation; yearning desperately for human interaction and intimacy but too trapped in his own world of insecurities to barely make eye contact much less ask a girl out on a date. So he returns to immersion in his world behind a computer screen as an only solace, perpetuating a frustrating cycle of feeling always that life is just passing him by.

Such circumstances can change, but it usually requires some external catalyst to make that happen. So when Jonathan strikes up a friendship with hotshot lawyer and ladies man Wyatt Bose (Hugh Jackman) at one of the firms he's auditing, he's suddenly introduced to a whole new world as Wyatt takes him under his wing. They share a common interest in tennis, and Wyatt takes him to a sex club one night and tries to convince him to start living life. He's soon introduced to The List, an exclusive swinger's service where one call to their call exchange will route you to a willing partner where the only negotiation involves which high class hotel to rendezvous for a night of strictly anonymous, no strings attached, gratuitous sex. No names can be spoken with no exceptions.

This provides the ultimate fantasy appeal to the millions of geeks that suffer through their daily ennui, as Jonathan has just gone from one extreme to the other in a matter of weeks. But then he starts yearning for that intimacy beyond just impersonal physical liaisons and becomes attached to a girl he meets through The List that he figured out has a first name that starts with an S (Michelle Williams) he recalled her asking him directions in the subway some weeks prior. She, however, refuses to break with the code and tell him her name. As he keeps pressing, asking more questions, to which he is constantly rebuffed, it's then that the plot, of course, thickens.

This movie has been trashed by critics, some of them even listing it as one of the 10 worst of the year with descriptions like 'over the top', 'uncanny', and 'irresponsible'. I suppose if you're a film critic that has seen every sex thriller movie under the sun, you might be able to anticipate some things. For myself, I think that if the last scene had been removed it would have enhanced my vision of it, as I prefer walking that fine line between triumphant and tragic. But isn't that why we see movies, to live vicariously through over the top, uncanny, and irresponsible characters in an idealized version of life that piques our imaginations and keeps us entertained?

Although for the average movie viewer where the subject matters of sexy and sleek thrillers appeal to them, this movie is not THAT bad, especially when you have such an all-star lineup. The gender demographic that liked this movie tend to be split fairly equally, with the real breakdown coming in age. The under 18 crowd graded this movie an average 7.6 and 7.5 for male and female respectively. I think I know the reason. If you're in this crowd you will not be disappointed since between the numerous List hookups there's plenty of flesh to go around. Michelle Williams is HOT, McGregor's portrayal as uber-geek had me not even realizing it was McGregor (not having checked credits beforehand) until his metamorphosis. Hugh Jackman does exude the requisite darkness for his role, although I can't help but think there might have been someone better for this part.

But the older you are, the less likely you are to like this film. So unless you're a specific connoisseur of the sex thriller genre as I am (I even saw Basic Instinct TWO) or you're an Ewan McGregor fanatic, you might find it somewhat too predictable (although it had me still putting pieces together towards the end) you might prefer instead to take a pass.

too many flaws...ridiculous ending

Author: mauricebarringer from United States
15 May 2008

I want to apologize for this short review, but I am time deprived.) 1. How did Michelle Williams smuggle a gun on her flight to Spain (airplane security has never been stricter) or how did she get the gun once in Spain?

2. How did Hugh Jackman con so many people to get to his position? (Sure, there are some gullible people, but he charmed everyone.)

3. Why would Evan McGregor forgive Michelle Williams after she basically did her best to ruin his life? Also, she must have known that Hugh Jackman killed the other sex club lady as well as the janitor at McGregor's apartment yet McGregor took her back.

4. Most significantly, in Spain Jackman assumed McGregor's identity and McGregor then assumed the false name that Jackman used. McGregor also co-signed with that signature on the large withdrawal note at the Spanish bank. That would implicate him in the murder of Jackman that was committed by Michelle Williams. The Spanish police would investigate the murder and the American police would also investigate once the weekend ended and the transaction was recorded in the American bank.

McGregor and Williams would then be arrested at the airport either in Spain or in the USA. I found the over-the-top ending to be much too difficult to swallow.

Cat and Mouse

Author: Alyssa Black (Aly200) from United States
9 May 2013

Only one person can create a vast web of conspiracy into a game of cat and mouse by the close of the film and that would be Hugh Jackman playing a devious lawyer throwing a naive accountant (Ewan McGregor) into a web of finance, sex and lies.

For a storyline, the plot is pretty simple to start, but then takes the twists and turns of a thriller. most of the dull moments are due to the absence of Hugh Jackman for most of the film's mid-section. Things really picked up for me when he returns on-screen and lays out the deadly game he has set McGregor up in.

Casting is a fair job. Jackman is the best of the lot with his charismatic attitude, dashing good looks and sly wiles as he cons his co-star into the sex game and later financial blackmail. McGregor has his moments when he holds the majority of the film's middle while Jackman is "away." Michelle Williams as the mystery woman is adequate (she is no Kim Basinger (The Natural and L.A. Confidential) or Mary Astor (The Maltese Falcon), but she does hold an air of mystery that turns a bit obvious by the time Jackman reappears.

Give "Deception" a shot if you need a good thriller.

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]