IMDb > The Road to Christmas (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Road to Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Surprisingly good

Author: saprater from Georgia, United States
18 December 2006

Let's face facts...the Lifetime Network isn't known for the best drama's on television, but every once in a while they will put out something that is palatable to watch. The Road to Christmas was just such a film. I Tivoed it on a whim and found myself skipping through only the commercials. The rest actually held my interest. The chemistry between the two leads was good, the storyline not too unrealistic, and the comedic elements weren't heavy handed or doled out at the cost of the characters. Claire came off as a city girl but not bitchy (as many of these city girl meets country boy stories tend to do). Her sensitivity and likability as a character had you rooting for her to find a happy ending. And other than one semi-sappy moment which was scripted to state the obvious, I found this film to be a refreshing change from the heavily played melodrama's that seem to plague this channel.

Great screen writing

Author: kw_kmouse-1 from Denver, CO
18 December 2006

This take on having to surmount obstacles to get places at Christmas is fresh and believable. The dialog is what you'd expect these characters to say - not the usual cliché chatter that a lot of romantic comedies have these days.

Surprises abound on Claire's road trip to the alter. Claire's photo shoot in Chicago is canceled allowing her to leave for Aspen, CO earlier than planned where she plans to marry Lorenzo on Christmas. Bad weather forces a landing in Nebraska, with no other seats or rental cars available. This is a common theme in this type of genre, but it's the remainder of the trip that is full of interesting twists and turns. In parallel to Claire's journey, Tom Pullman and his daughter Hilly are driving from Chicago to Vail, CO where they plan to spend Christmas with Tom's mother. Tom comes to Claire's rescue under the most unlikely circumstances. The unexpected is what makes this made for TV movie well worth a look!!

Thoroughly enjoyed this TV movie.

Author: hayes135 from United States
11 December 2007

Although this TV movie had a lighthearted storyline and predictable ending, I thought the characters were highly developed and very believable. After seeing this movie the first time, I actually checked TV listings hoping to see this movie for a second time in December 2007. Happily, it was playing on Lifetime, so I watched it again and enjoyed it again. (I also enjoyed seeing Jennifer Grey act with her real-life husband.) I plan to add this movie to my list of Christmastime favorites. I think if one were to give this movie a chance, it will prove to be a pleasant and entertaining experience. Happy Holidays!

Loved It!

Author: donnetterr-1 from United States
25 December 2006

This was a very enjoyable holiday movie. The actors were great, and it was so nice to see Jennifer Grey again. It's cute, and a fine way to spend two hours watching Lifetime TV. I've seen Clark Gregg on the New Adventures of Old Christine, and I like him on that. His character in this movie is more likable, though. Less immature and better fleshed-out. The girl who plays Hilly is adorable. I hope you enjoy this movie as much as I did, even though there was a formulaic "lost dog" plot device. Also, Jennifer Grey is so beautiful. I found myself wondering how old she is, and so I looked her up on IMDb. 46!! No way, she doesn't look it. Not that 46 is old, it's just in my part of the country, 46 looks a bit different than it does on Jennifer Grey.

A fun lighthearted smile

Author: jwindwalker from United States
23 December 2007

Without stooping to the campy.. this movie was relaxing, funny, touching and leaves you with a warm fuzzy. Sort of like The Goodbye Girl. Though you know where it's headed, and there's no big surprises along the way it's rather nice to watch a couple hours of movie with no killing, crashes, hatred or violence.

What's more it's not a remake of some other Christmas movie like the 400 incarnations of It's a Wonderful life, or A Christmas Carol, so highly recommend it for absolutely anyone who wants to just chill by the fireplace and feel Christmasy... think we'll watch it again tomorrow when my Mom visits...

A pleasant holiday offering

Author: caa821 from Tulsa OK
20 December 2007

This is one of those "coming-together/finding each other" movies, which occur and recur every Christmas season.

Like nearly all of them, its ending is predictable, but then any presentation within this genre would be less enjoyable if not.

The three lead characters are engaging and likable. Some have said Clark Gregg's role and performance lacked warmth, but I thought him more realistic than would have been expected, but I liked his more realistic demeanor, portrating a man who didn't go instantly quivering and stammering upon being thrown together with the sophisticated, beautiful big-city lady. Meagan Park was cute and charming and did a fine acting job (especially since she was 20 while playing the 13-year-old daughter). She indicates she's in the 8th grade - and seems believable; no mean feat for someone who in real life would be at least halfway through college.

I don't remember seeing either of these previously, and had seen Jennifer Grey only a long time ago, in "Dirty Dancing." I had sat through that flick for its entirety because of my companion. I have always found watching Patrick Swayze for any length of time akin to a root canal without anesthetic. But I remember a younger Grey as attractive, despite an extremely prominent proboscis. She's a woman who is not only beautiful, but now capable of passing for somewhat younger than latter 40's, if required. And there can never be, in recorded history - past or future - a greater example of the desirability, where warranted, and the benefits of, rhinoplasty.

A pleasant couple of holiday hours.

Thin Story Barley Sustains

Author: Christmas-Reviewer from United States
14 May 2017

BEWARE OF FALSE REVIEWS & REVIEWERS. SOME REVIEWERS HAVE ONLY ONE REVIEW TO THEIR NAME. NOW WHEN ITS A POSITIVE REVIEW THAT TELLS ME THEY WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOVIE. IF ITS A NEGATIVE REVIEW THEN THEY MIGHT HAVE A GRUDGE AGAINST THE FILM . I HAVE REVIEWED OVER 200 HOLIDAY FILMS. I HAVE NO AGENDA.

Just finished watching "The Road to Christmas". This LIFETIME movie is on DVD and its available on AMAZON.

Claire (Jennifer Grey, Dirty Dancing) has it all: a thriving career. In 5 days she is getting married to Lorenzo! Her wedding is set to happen on Christmas Eve. When her work plans change at the last minute she decides to fly from Chicago to Aspen to surprise Lorenzo- -but nothing goes right and Claire finds herself stranded at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere.

I do not want to give too much away. The story is slim as it is. It is enjoyable and there is a minor surprise.

Most boys & men hate this. This will not entertain kids! The Target Demographic for this film is most likely females 12 on up.

If you like Christmas Theme Movies then you well find this highly enjoyable!

As Sam The Snowman would say "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas"

Cliché

Author: lamont-harden from United States
18 December 2011

Warning Spoilers........ A decent little movie with a small and believable cast. The story was told in a manner as not to be complicated. But for a Christmas movie it was a bit cliché. Such movies like this, is a romance formula in girl saying yes to marriage then the writers finding reason where it does not happen. In order for this one to work it would not have been very believable if she all of a sudden feels she does not love him just from traveling with a single widower guy and his daughter, but cast her fiancée as gay, so the wedding most definitely won't take place, and of course the back up plan is she met someone else anyway. I don't want to sound to cynical but just how does a woman getting married one day and the next finds out her guy is gay have a great Christmas is beyond me. To write a story and make it work as this one tries, comes off a bit forced. The acting was great as the director was the silent true hit in this film.

Meh.

Author: NikkiBay8 from United States
29 November 2013

Even for a Lifetime movie, I didn't really enjoy this one. Jennifer Grey played a high-maintenance celebrity photographer, who tries making it in time to her Christmas Eve wedding in Aspen. Plans go awry when she can't catch a holiday flight. After many mishaps, she finds a ride with Clark Gregg and his teenage daughter in their old, rusty pickup truck.

I found Gregg's acting to be quite lacking. The arguments between Grey and Gregg were very poorly acted by Gregg. Their arguing was supposed to be sexual tension, but it seemed that Gregg despised Grey's high maintenance so much that he put a sour taste in my mouth. So what if she tries ordering a latte at a dive diner? He didn't have to condescend her for it. I did enjoy the performances by Grey and Megan Park, though. They made the movie semi-enjoyable. I do wish there was snow in this Christmas Movie. Snow would have been nice.

Watching this Movie is a Road to a Good Christmas

Author: gehewe from USA
20 January 2017

I loved this movie. The actress Jennifer Grey was so likable and pleasant. She really made the movie. The actor was excellent as well. It did annoy me a bit that he was so reluctant to help her at first and even to like her.

The scene where they both wake up in the motel room and pleasantly look at each other was well done. The movie was effective in the humor of the obstacles that were occurring to keep her from getting to Aspen.

A few criticisms that did not hurt the movie. The role of the 8th grade girl played by Megan Parks was actually 20 years old (she seemed like a 16 yr old). The lead actress and actor were 46 and 48- they were playing 30 something roles.