IMDb > The Incredible Hulk (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Incredible Hulk

The Incredible Hulk More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 66: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Not the Purple Pants

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
23 June 2008

Greetings again from the darkness. Kind of a return to roots for the big green guy. The action scenes are grittier, louder and bigger than in Ang Lee's version ... all with a scaled back, more believable Hulk. This time Edward Norton plays Bruce Banner and Liv Tyler is Betty Ross, his scientific partner and love interest.

An unlikely casting decision puts Tim Roth as Hulk's nemesis, Blonsky, and finally as The Abomination. And a very creepy looking Willliam Hurt is the military guy attempting to cover up his mis-deeds. Somehow, Hurt's character has access to every military weapon known to man ... and the authority to use it on a college campus and in the middle of NYC. Hurt looks a bit too much like the new Burt Reynolds. I guess that adds to the list of mutants in the film.

Actually, I was impressed with the action scenes ... they were what I had hoped for. Plenty of fighting and chasing and "smashing". The dialogue in the non-action scenes was pretty lame, but that's not really what anyone comes to see.

A couple other points of interest: creator Stan Lee gets temporarily juiced off the Hulk's blood, Lou Ferrigno shows up twice - once as a pizza chomping security guard and also as the voice of Hulk, Ironman Tony Stark (Robert Downey, jr) shows up for a scene that sets the stage for "The Avengers" and the late, great Bill Bixby (TV's Hulk) has a creative cameo via TV and "The Courtship of Eddie's Father". Speaking of setting the stage ... watch out for Tim Blake Nelson's character in the sequel.

Green Cheese

Author: rabrenner from United States
22 June 2008

The first Hulk movie was a major disappointment. Ang Lee is a great director, but he fundamentally misunderstood the character. The Hulk is not about Bruce Banner's unresolved Freudian conflicts with his father. Nor is it about fighting giant, gamma-irradiated French poodles.

Now along comes Hulk 2.0. Director Louis Leterrier and writer Zak Penn don't have Lee's talent or budget, but have created a more enjoyable, albeit cheesier, movie by sticking closer to the source material. Watch for cameos by Stan Lee, Lou Ferrigno, Bill Bixby, and Robert Downey Jr. in his Tony Stark role.

The first half of the movie works best: after an efficient opening sequence that gets the origin out of the way, we switch to Bruce Banner as a super powered fugitive, on the run from the US Army, and hiding out in São Paulo. (A nod to the first movie, which ended with Banner hiding in Latin America.) Ed Norton looks sufficiently haunted and emaciated to make this work. The Hulk is wisely kept in shadow and only shown in bits and pieces.

The second half of the movie starts showing some cracks. The Hulk doesn't look like Shrek this time, but he still doesn't look believable. Maybe it's impossible for CGI to render a nine foot tall, two ton green giant convincingly. Worse, the personal conflicts—Banner with Betty Ross; Betty with her father, General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross; the General with Banner—feel perfunctory, as if Leterrier and Penn are just filling time until the final throwdown with the Abomination. Here, they could have learned a thing or two from Lee, who excels at personal conflict.

I read a critics review, my response

Author: jp_philosophie from United Kingdom
22 June 2008

Incredible Hulk 2008 review: a response Critics of Hulk 2008

Does have spoilers

TIH is a very entertaining it just leaves itself open to nitpicking and vitriol assaults. Basically I put this down not to the creative team behind the project, but to the people who financed it and cut out no less than 70 minutes of the back story, just so as to rush to the action scenes. The problem with this is, many who went to watch this movie don't have a prior investment in the character, so where I could see between the poorly edited hodge podge of scenes the potential for a really sensitive, engrossing and moving portrayal of the tragedy of Banner's lonely tormented, existence, the film itself rushes to quickly through these points for some to really grasp Bruce Banners charm. Unfortunately in the shadow of the witty, quipping Tony Stark, Bruce's on screen persona isn't given quite enough time to develop.

Having said that Ed Norton is just brilliant as the tortured alter ego to the Hulk, he really taps into the pathos and simple dignity of this tragic hero. Certainly injecting far more humanity into Banner than Eric Bana's rather phlegmatic approach to the character. He really does give the Banner role the kind of elevated dignity that Bill Bixby added to the role. I wish we could have seen more of this performance. (There is one criticism of the portrayal of Banner which is more to do with the writing; it's like the writers just forgot he's one of the most brilliant scientists in the marvel universe. There could have been more reference and use of this in the script. It really is central to Banner's character.) Another notable, but again underdeveloped character is Tim Roths Emil Blonsky. I've got to be honest I loved the Hulk comic growing up, but the one thing I always thought Hulk was missing was a decent villain. A brilliant villain for me is premised on two things 1, there has to be a level to which you understand or relate to the villain's temptation by evil or malevolence and 2, none the less you have to understand why they must be stopped. Now characters like Lex Luther or The Joker are perfect examples of such villains; one immediately recognises Lex Luther's quest for ultimate knowledge as inherently human, or, one can relate to the mirthful twisted mind of the joker, who is just an extreme reaction to the equally insane and theatrical vigilantism of batman. But what about Abomination? How do you relate to a guy who wants to become a big mutant freak like Emil Blonsky? The truth is you can't, but Tim Roth puts in such a good performance that by the end you see him as both cool and by some weird perverted logic actually relate to his quest for Hulks power. I really think he is the outstanding performance in the whole ensemble.

Liv Tyler is under used but again in this role its not so much her acting that is outstanding, than the fact that Liv actually just inhabits important aspects of Betty Ross, a certain maternal care, a child like kindness which resonates with her response to the Hulk and the chemistry with Ed Norton is quite refreshing. It's not quite as ultra quippy and Hollywood as Ironman's main romance, which gave it a level of heart felt realism. Nonetheless her performance is jarring in places, and the scene where Betty and Banner are staring at the ceiling is funny, because it is made so obvious that even Ed Norton's eyes are better actors than Liv Tyler.

William Hurt's performance as Thunderbolt Ross has its awkward moments, but nonetheless, again he manages to pull off a rather dastardly General, and even gets a laugh or shudder at his maniacal persona every once in a while. Tim Blake Nelson does his best but his role really is awfully generic and I believe the let down of the whole piece. However luckily he's not in it that much.

Another surprise is Louis Letterier's directing. Its great because it feels like Ed Norton had a lot of control over the drama; but Letterier really knows his action scenes and they are surprisingly refreshing and while there are obvious homages to genres like horror etc he really makes the action scenes and some of the CG heavy scenes both aesthetically note worthy and some of the best action spectacles in the comic genre. Apart from Roth, the Hulk himself, directed by Louis is the stand out performance in this movie. The first Hulk fight is really testimony to this.

The only other criticism I have of the film is the Tony Stark cameo. It just seems like an add on, rather than a really well though out and integral part of the plot.

All in all this is still one of the best comic-adaptations out there; much better performances than in the spider man or X-men series, far better than Ghost rider and fantastic four, perhaps not quite as consistent as Iron Man however it even outshines in places that much lauded and perhaps overrated movie, definitely not in the league of the Matrix, Blade, Batman Begins or V for Vendetta. However it does have better action scenes than the latter two, and, if we had seen the full movie rather than the studio execs "safe version", well who knows? The critics say this movie is generic, the CG bad, there's no character development etc. Some of you sceptics who hated the first movie will listen to this and wait to rent or perhaps catch it on TV and when you do you will realise you've missed a movie that was truly meant to be seen on the big screen.

Just Give It A Freakin' Chance!!!

Author: Scelestus-1 from United States
20 June 2008

I loved it. I missed the last 10 or 15 minutes because a determined girlfriend thought it was stupid, but she thinks most things are indeed stupid. I'm even definitively stupid, so her opinion goes out the window right NOW.

The original hulk was a foul waste of time, and while it failed to please us, it cleared the path of Hulk's origins to give us the clash of the Hulk and Abomination. There are many little details just waiting in here, and if you catch them, it adds to the experience greatly. It has love, humor, action, suspense. Everything the Hulk can be counted on for, and then a bit more after that.

Even better, while in the original the Hulk was a very flat green, just very very big, this time he's got more veins than a steroids addict. It's amazing to see the detail on the characters, the plot and even the jokes.

Wish I could have his rage....

Author: pandya-kaustubh from Vadodara, India
20 June 2008

Okay guys its finally time to write my first ever movie review.

For all those people who love super-heros, this is one movie for those people who enjoyed Iron Man as much as I did. For me, these two are movies in which a super-hero is portrayed in a very efficient manner.

Though this movie has no connection with the first Hulk, but it does have a sort of connection in the way of portraying the problems the hero is facing with his "problem". I liked this movie as much as i did the first one. The director did do a very brilliant job. The desperateness of Bruce Banner to find an antidote, the craziness of Gen. Ross to capture Banner, Blonsky's desire to get more power, Betty Ross's willingness to help Banner all this has been shown in a very good manner. But the bet thing i liked was the amount of rage Hulk had been given, specially the time he screams.

While talking about the cgi use in the film honestly speaking i like Abomination more than Hulk. The nerves and veins of hulk looked a bit overshown, but the most impressive was the anger expression that was shown on Hulk's face.

Talking about action it was really really really awesome. Hulk's moves were totally wicked. His fight with Abomination looks like you are playing a King of fighters/Fatal Fury/Mortal Kombat on a more advanced version of playstation like PS8 or something. It was so totally cool. Not boring you guys more and not want to spoil the fun of those people who still haven't watch the movie, i will end this review now.

Just wanna say one more thing. Guys do sure enjoy this movie.

Summary

Author: evilted125 from Ireland
19 June 2008

First off all let me just say well done to the creators of the marvel comic industry cause if it was not for them then we would not have these wonderful characters and the lines of films that they have been in.

Second of all ED Norton wow he played such a good role as the hulk Like he was born to play it or something,

third Liv Tyler she picked a good film to make her come back onto the big screen as she has been out for quite a while the reasons in which in don't know.

Fourth From start to finish i was well entertained in the cinema Lots of action and a few funny bits also in the film and plus a good story,And the revealing of a new character in the film in which i wont rune it for people who hasn't seen it, And also a surprise guest appearance form someone at the end in which you will have to wait and see the film but for those who have seen it you know who i am talking about

HULK-Its what is was supposed to be

Author: David Moore from United States
19 June 2008

It was fun, good action and was exactly what is was supposed to be. It's not supposed to be a cinematic master piece just good ol'super hero fun. It was 100 times better than the previous version which is all that matters. I have also read that people are complaining again on how the Hulk looks which is a shame because i think he looked a hell of a lot better than the first movie. If anyone has ever used a 3D program they would know how incredibly difficult it is to model a character like that let alone apply the materials, have it interact with live action environment etc etc etc. As someone who uses 3d software quite a bit i think he looked pretty bad ass, especially in the daylight battle scene on the college campus. All im saying is enjoy it for what it is. Was IRON MAN a better "movie" yes it was but none the less, HULK was good and im excited for the Marvel Movie Universe to continue to expand and interact.

Wow

Author: inmadonnawetrust from United States
18 June 2008

Let me start off by saying I am not a big fan of action films. After 2003's lame rendition of the Hulk, I wasn't expecting much out of this one. Boy was I in for a surprise. This movie was intense. The fight scenes kept me on the edge of my seat, and I didn't dose off not once lol. I don't know what gave the bigger bang, the special effects or the sound effects. The acting was pretty good, too. Beyond Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt, blah--so overrated! This revamped, supercharged version is a must see! Definitely worth the price of admission. I can safely say I prefer this one over Spider-man. It lives up to its title, The Incredible Hulk.

Hulk fans will be happier now.

Author: mike1b24 from United States
18 June 2008

In my opinion, the first Hulk movie in 2003 wasn't all that bad. However, I went to see it with very high hopes and expectations, and left feeling unfulfilled. I didn't like the new origin story and I hated how The Hulk kept getting bigger - he was like 25 feet tall! There were good action scenes when Hulk fought the army, but Bruce Banner's dad as the villain at the end was just strange and boring.

This time around, I think the formula is better...a little less drama and a lot more action. The Incredible Hulk also had a better villain in The Abomination. The action and fight scenes were terrific and a great cast complemented a well-written story. It seemed more like the Hulk in the comics which made for a much better movie. I also enjoyed the nods to the old Incredible Hulk TV series. The pace of this film is pretty fast and the feeling is more tense and exciting than the first movie, which was kind of slow and dramatic.

The Incredible Hulk is definitely worth the price of admission. Hulk fans and general action movie fans will really enjoy it. I took my very uninterested girlfriend with me and she even said she liked it. As far as comic book movies go, I think only the Spider-Man movies (other than the 3rd), Iron Man and Batman Begins edge out The Incredible Hulk. Hopefully it does well so Marvel will make some sequels.

Vast Improvement on 2003 Hulk !

Author: cshep from Laguna Woods, CA.
17 June 2008

When you think of Invincible, you think of Iron Man, when you say Incredible, it has to be the "HULK!" And this film, pretty much achieves that goal, with a few less than credible moments .

Bruce Banner(Edward Norton) is now in Brazil, trying to reverse the effects of the original experiment that left him filled with Gamma rich blood. Gen. Thunderbolt Ross(William Hurt) is on the prowl to find him, and eventually locates him. and sends a small detachment, including Emil Blonsky(Tim Roth), a veteran British soldier who loves the excitement of Battle !

Banner escapes and returns to Virginia, to enlist the aid of Mr. Blue, an unknown internet connection whom is trying to help find the "Cure."

As fate would have it, he runs into his old flame Elizabeth (Betty) Ross, (Liv Tyler), scientist, and daughter of the General.

Now injected with an experimental drug,Blonsky aims to become a Super Soldier, and the pursuit of the Hulk begins again.

Needless to say, the transformation doesn't become complete until Blonsky meets up with Mr. Blue, and this is when the Abomination becomes incarnate. The battle scenes are Terrific, with breathtaking action almost non stop for about the last 20 minutes of the film.

While CGI still isn't where it will be, these creatures are Real enough to provide the punch necessary to deliver a Big Emotional Wallop.

So, while this incarnation of this composite Hulk film, pays tribute to past Banners(Bill Bixby) and Hulks( Lou Ferrigno), it can stand on its own as a testimony to the power of the emergence, of man,Director Louis Leterier and computer , to produce an entertaining comic book on film. 8 out of 10. Runtime 114 minutes.