IMDb > The Incredible Hulk (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Incredible Hulk

The Incredible Hulk More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 66: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Surprisingly pretty good...

Author: jdkraus from Maineville, Ohio
28 June 2008

People told me not to see the 2003 release of "The Hulk" and so I didn't see it. I expected the same news for this release, but I was told to see it. Having not seen the '03 version, I anticipated this would be a sequel and I wouldn't like it since I missed the first one. To my surprise though, "The Incredible Hulk" was no sequel, rather its own take on the character Bruce Banner and the Hulk.

Unlike some other superhero movies that I have seen, this had a plot that I found interesting. Rather than just being about a giant, angry green man who unleashes massive destruction, it's about the real man underneath who wants to change. Such a unique idea shows that the lead actor Edward Norton, who helped wrote the script, is more than just an ordinary thespian.

Norton was a great choice for Bruce Banner/The Hulk. He's believable, engaging, and at times funny. Liv Tyler (still beautiful as ever), is another a good addition to the film as Banner's romance. Together, Norton and Tyler made the film even more intriguing. It was also nice to see Tim Roth, who later becomes the Hulk's archenemy in the movie. I've only seen him in a couple of other films, but he always played a decent villain as he does in this.

Like with all other superhero movies, there's a lot of CGI. I won't say I was impressed by it like I was with "King Kong" or even "Transformers", since it's almost in every action flick, but the fight sequence between Hulk and Abomination at the end was quite a feast for the eyes.

But there were several things that left me hanging at the end of the film. I'm not going to say what they are, but I found them rather bothersome. Then again, this leaves room for a sequel. I will say though that the last scene in the film has an appearance of Tony Stark from Iron Man. This leaves clear evidence that "The Avengers" is underway for the big screen. 8/10

Marvel Makes a Beautiful Remake

Author: jkellylincoln from United States
27 June 2008

When Ang Lee made the Hulk people were not disappointed but not satisfied. So it came as no surprise that the film makers decided not to make the two other Hulk movies planned. So when The Incredible Hulk was in development I had major doubts.

But all these doubts became deafened by the good trailer and me seeing the actual movie.

The movie made the right choice for casting Ed Norton as Bruce Banner and all the other actors particularly Tim Routh as Emil Blonsky worked pretty good to me.

The movie is far more action oriented, great with a more understandable origin and a more vulnerable Hulk. Hence why they would make the Abomination a superior match to the Hulk. The acting and the hyper-realistic tone are all done very well and it is a great movie. I like how they were able to put in the Leader as a nice little hidden bonus for fans and Tony Stark revealing the plans about the Avengers.

My two regrets are that this new General Ross is not as menacing as Sam Elliot and that it did not have some of the science explained enough.

Hulk smash-hit!

Author: come2whereimfrom from United Kingdom
26 June 2008

From that brilliant poster of Ed Norton dressed all in denim walking away from the huge frame of his alter ego the Hulk to the superb end fight that shows the makers of Spiderman 3 how it should be done this is a great film. Not by any means a brilliant film but a truly enjoyable superhero romp none the less. Gone is the emotion that Ang Lee tried to inject into Hulk (2003) and back is the smashing and shouting and smashing. Plagued by his demons and his uncontrollable green counterpart, Norton plays Dr. Bruce Banner a scientist with a secret, desperate to find a cure. Hot on his heels are the army lead by Emil Blonsky (Roth) under the command of General Thaddeus 'Thunderbolt' Ross, who just so happens to be the dad of Banners girlfriend Betty (Tyler), who wants to know how he gets all angry and use the technology to create 'super soldiers'. Plus Iron Man Tony Stark is in it. That then is about it, what you get is a chase movie with some great characters, some great effects and a couple of amazing set pieces including the end fight between the Hulk and the Abomination. All in all it's smashing stuff that should leave other superhero films green with envy.

The Hulk movie I've always wanted!!!

Author: stallone-9 from Bulgaria
24 June 2008

This was without a doubt one of the most enjoyable movies I've ever seen simply because it is awesome to see one of your favorite comic book characters on the big screen in all his might.The 2003 version was beyond disappointing because it was far from the source material,too long and boring and of course not enough Hulk smash action.Thank God director Louis Leterrier fixed the mistakes Ang Lee made and created one of the best comic adaptations ever.The cast is great and Eddy Norton once again proves he's one of the best actors of his generation and the perfect man to play the tormented Bruce Banner.The rest of the cast is great also:Liv Tyler is a great Betty and is really sympathetic with the monster just like in the comics.Tim Roth is a great Blonsky and an even better Abomination,he's just pure badass evil.William Hurt is the best General Ross ever!!!He is literally pulled from the pages of the comic-divided between the duty to capture the rampaging monster and the love for his daughter he really nailed the part.One of the biggest improvements from the previous film is definitely the CGI-The Hulk looks as real as he can be-the skin coloring,textures and shades are all superb bravo to the effects guys they did a fantastic job.Abomination looks great too.His final clash with Hulk is something to talk about for a long time.This is what I call an epic fight.In conclusion I'd like to say that if you are a Hulk fan you must absolutely see this film and I bet you will love it.If you're not a Hulk fan you will enjoy it still.One of the most entertaining action packed movies for years.

Good one!

Author: on_the_can from Canada
23 June 2008

I'll start by saying that I actually liked the 2003 Ang Lee Hulk and was initially disappointed when I heard they were rebooting rather than continuing, but when this movie was over and my friend said, "that was a zillion times better than the first one," I had to agree.

With Louis Letterier's The Incredible Hulk, you get a much more down to earth streamlined version of the Hulk everybody wanted the first time around. This is not to say in the least that it's nothing but a CGI fest, all the contrary. The script is smart, not just in its science but in its dialog and handling of the otherworldly subject matter. Letterier, with the help of Edward Norton and company do a remarkable job of convincing you that this could actually happen, even though we all know it couldn't. Characters are strongly developed with well paced tension that eventually builds to a heart stopping climax on the streets of New York. Your movie ticket's gonna buy you heart, humor and loads of thrills and action folks.

It's a little disheartening to think that this film's success may easily be hampered by movie goers who still have a bad taste in their mouth from 2003, I wanna address that. This is not a sequel to Ang Lee's 2003 film. This is a complete reboot, they started again from scratch, to make amends and they have succeeded. The movie does a great job of starting over by giving you only snippets in the form of early flashbacks to show how the Hulk was created and what sent Bruce Banner on the run from the law. This sets the movie into action in record time. We catch up with him some years later, he hasn't seen the love of his life, Betty in all that time and she has yet to see or even realize what Bruce's problem really is. Bruce is hiding in Brazil and has been off the grid for about six months, but when a freak accident catches the attention of his pursuers in the U.S. he's on the run again, and eventually forced back home.

Ironically, considering a common complaint of the original movie was its inaccuracies to the comic book, this film draws more from the 1970's TV series for its back story and the tone even follows suit somewhat as well. With Bruce on the run we get a lot of action and suspense even when he isn't green and we get our heart from his relationship with Betty. Some comic relief comes from this as well. The movie is much darker in tone than some of the more recent superhero movies and the action gets pretty intense too, they definitely push the boundaries of their PG-13 rating. If you've liked Marvel's other ventures you will probably like this film, but if you're a fan of the original series, the comic and or cartoons, or quite frankly a fan of action adventure movies in general, go see this movie, you WILL like it. I'll say it again, cuz I want Marvel to continue with what could easily be an amazing franchise. Go see this movie!!!

The true Hulk Film!

Author: dantheman0056 from United States
23 June 2008

Let me start off by saying that for those of you who liked the Ang Lee version ( the minority) you may not like this. For those of you who didn't this is the movie for you! The Hulk is back in a reboot not connected to the Ang Lee's in anyway. Edward Norton is a great Bruce Banner, but it seems like he could have used a little more dialog and development to make him stand out better. Liv Tyler as Betty Ross was passable but nothing really special. General Thunderbolt Ross and Emil Blonsky were both great in their roles as villains. Although Bruce isn't the Hulk for the majority of this movie the action scenes are very intense and I have to admit I liked them better than Iron Man's. The ending with Tony Stark was a nice surprise and will help build excitement for an Avengers movie. The CGI was a good improvement over the 2003 version. Abodmination was especially cool looking. Here's to the hope for a sequel or at the very least Edward Norton in the Avengers!

The Incredible Hulk

Author: cultfilmfan from Canada
23 June 2008

The Incredible Hulk is a live action film version based upon the Marvel comic book's famous superhero who has become famous through both television and even a feature film from five years ago. I have seen small parts of the live action Hulk television series from the 70's, but only small parts and never an entire episode. Also growing up I did read some graphic novels, but I was never really into the many superhero comics that existed, so before going into this movie I only knew a little bit about the Hulk from what I have seen of the television shows and the trailers for the two films. I would guess that the more knowledge you have about the history of Bruce Banner and his alter ago the Hulk, the better off you are enjoying this movie. Unlike some of the other superhero films we have seen lately, this version does not really give us as much of a back story of the Hulk, or Bruce Banner. The film takes place after all this has happened and how Bruce became the Hulk, we learn in flashback scenes and just through conversations that the characters have with each other. Still, I did not find the film hard to follow because of this and it still made it easy enough to follow for someone like myself who was never really been into the comics, television shows, or other sources of media that the Hulk has been in. Reviewing a film like The Incredible Hulk, or even Iron Man, or some of the other action superhero movies lately, is not quite as fun, or always that easy to write about compared to an art film such as Mister Lonely, which was the last film I saw in theatres. I find it easier to write more about experimental, or artistic films, or even films with a lot of in depth characters or happenings going on. I personally like to analyze the films and characters in the movies that I 'am watching and I 'am not trying to sound biased, but usually in a film of this kind, you do not have a whole lot of character study, intelligent dialogue or thought provoking material that will stay with you long after the film is over. However, I can say that much like the other kind of films I have reviewed this summer (I'm talking more about the Hollywood releases that mostly have been about superheroes and have big budgets and so on) The Incredible Hulk is not anything groundbreaking or new and probably not even particularly needed since we just had a Hulk film a couple of years ago and we are getting bombarded with superhero films, but on the positive side this movie has an excellent pace and will have enough action and enough going on to please even the most particular film viewer. Like many of these type of films I see simply because my theatre doesn't usually get the artsy or intelligent films, I liked this film simply because of the entertainment factor and that is all I can really go by for my recommendation. And by recommending it, I'm given it a positive rating, but would much rather persuade people to see something like Mister Lonely if it is playing in your area, or even the vastly underrated film Sex And The City, which is a Hollywood film, but unlike the Hulk it is clever, has well developed characters and leaves you more to be satisfied with intellectually than two hours of mediocre special effects and action scenes that are really nothing new. If you are a big fan of Marvel comics and the Hulk then this film will be for you and for those who live in a city like mine where you are stuck with films like this, you could do worse than seeing this film because it is entertaining and even though it's strictly by the books it is entertainment and I guess that is what people want to see when they go to the theatre, so this may be right for you. As for me I liked it, but I don't think it will be something I'll see again, or remember even a couple of months from now when I have seen more and hopefully better films.

Incredible

Author: thesmallone101
21 June 2008

I like to see this movie when compared to its awful predecessor as Batman Begins to Batman and Robin. Where as the latter is simply revolting, in both cases this movie makes up for those errors by completely rebooting the series and setting it right. When I left this movie, my heart was racing. Edward Norton, who is a superb actor, plays Bruce Banner and does it well. Acting overall is excellent, though I feel that Norton is the best. The filming was also very good, perfect camera angles and action shots were filmed excellently. And the action in this movie is some of the best I have seen in my life. I don't want to give it away, just watch it. I left this movie with my heart racing and you will too!

Good. Very very good!!

Author: Sambit Dattachaudhuri from India
21 June 2008

The Incredible Hulk continues Hollywood's list of 2008 Summer Blockbusters, as it does the number of comic book to celluloid adaptations for the year. With Iron Man already smashing the box office to become the first film this year to get over the 200 million dollar revenue mark, and with Berg's Hancock, Del Toro's Hellboy 2 and Nolan's The Dark Knight to come out next month, The Incredible Hulk has a lot of expectations on its head, especially after the failure of Ang Lee's The Hulk, five years ago.

Unlike in The Hulk, where Ang Lee put in a lot of effort to bring forward the origin of the Hulk, Louis Leterrier's new adaptation does that in less than 3 minutes via the opening credits. They probably did not want to show us what we had already seen and not appreciated in Ang Lee's version. There is no Nick Nolte here freaking us out with his creepy (not great!) performance as Bruce Banner's father. There are no gigantic poodles and bull dogs here. There film is not two hours and fifteen minutes long. It's doesn't even get to two. All that, added with a couple of good performances, great visuals, a gripping plot, and one helluva final showdown make The Incredible Hulk a brilliant movie! Louis Leterrier isn't a very well-known director. He directed The Transporter 2, and thats about all his resume says. The casting here is good. With Edward Norton capturing the essence of Bruce Banner very well. William Hurt gives us a the rather obsessive General Thadius Ross, where he acts like he owes no one nothing as long as he able to capture the green beast. Liv Tyler, however, is quite flat. Her dialogues don't really have any feeling in them. Now, I haven't seen Tim Roth in a long time. His portrayal of Emile Blonsky is the pick of the lot in this movie. Not only does he effectively act insane, but that part-Russian accent does wonders for him.

What they did, and did correctly in this film was the fact that they gave us a very raw and very real Hulk. (Read: No clinging on to a fighter jet till he reaches space!). Although all of it is CGI, it is very well done. The effects are mindblowing. The expected showdown between Iron Man and Iron Monger which was given amiss by Jon Favreau in Iron Man, Marvel makes up for in The Incredible Hulk. The final fight between the Hulk and the Abomination is really something! Control - that is what the objective of this film is. How Bruce Banner takes control of the beast inside of him. He is desperately seeking an antidote, hiding from the Army, who have labeled him 'A fugitive who stole military secrets'. His living in tranquility for months and months so that he can grasp his anger instead of letting it lose. He even wears a heart-rate calculator. 'Can't get too excited', he says while on a kissing spree. Yes, it does have its fair share of comedy; and also eye-candy. Read: Débora Nascimento who plays Martina. She's there only in a few scenes.

Incident - is what they call the transformation in this one. They even show you a timeline that says - Days since Incident. The shots of rural Brazil in the introduction of the film are very nice. The Hulk too seems more lifelike. Not as rubbery as he did in the previous adaptation. Also, The Incredible Hulk hints at a good many other films that could be in store for us. Tim Blake Nelson plays Samuel Sterns - The Leader, a character from Marvel. There is also a small cameo by Robert Downey Jr. And yes, he is Tony Stark a.k.a. Iron Man. The weapons too, if one notices, are all Stark Industry products. Who knows.. this film might be an excuse of a movie just to introduce numerous other adaptations. Think - The Avengers! The Incredible Hulk does justice to one of Marvel's most famous characters. Although unexpected since most associate it with a rather comedic version of the Hulk, we finally hear the green beast say 'Hulk Smash'. And he really does..

8/10. Good. Very very good!

The Incredible Mr. Green vs. The Abominable Mr. Orange

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
20 June 2008

First, I have seen only parts of Ang Lee's 2003 Hulk but never complete so if you want comparisons I can't give that to you. That said, let's focus on Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk; even that this film is like a reboot it begins more like a sequel, actually when Bruce Banner (Edward Norton) is already in his "exile" due to his "green" problem. During his stay in Brazil, he has an accident that will put him again on the map of the US Army (in part courtesy of Stan Lee). Emil Blonsky (Tim Roth) is their "special weapon" and now we have just a search of Banner, who travels from Brazil to Guatemala to Mexico to finally the United States. There he meets again his love, Betty Ross (Liv Tyler), and the rounds between Hulk and the Army really begins. The visual part is great and delivers a terrific Hulk and a terrific fight at the University. Tim Roth's character seems to be in personal fight against Hulk but at this point of the film, he is the only one who really believes that. I mean, the guy claims "well this is our second round" or something like that but actually he hasn't even touch Hulk during their first meet in Brazil and in the University Hulk beats him easily (funny scene by the way). Of course when Abomination finally appears, courtesy of Banner's helper Samuel Sterns (Tim Blake Nelson), Hulk will have a true rival. Both deliver pure action in the climax of the film, and the entire film is just that: pure and fun action entertainment that, I guess, will be enjoyed by the true fans of the comic book.

Cast: For me Norton was a great choice for the role because he normally looks as a very calm guy like Banner, when he is in a sort of hangover after being Hulk all night, but sometimes Norton looks quite different for stronger roles (for example in American History X as Derek Vinyard). Tim Roth is also quite good, again on a blockbuster, and for me to have him in the cast is enough to can say that this Hulk has a better cast that the 2003 Hulk. Before this film, I haven't see Liv Tyler since Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Kings and here she looks beautiful as usual but her role is quite common yet I think she is just good. Two cameos: Lou Ferrigno appear as a security guard and also voices Hulk (I saw this dubbed in Spanish so I didn't heard Lou) and Stan Lee has his obligated cameo in Brazil. Robert Downey Jr. is also here as Tony Starks, Avengers?

Conclusion: Another enjoyable and entertaining film by Louis Leterrier. Another enjoyable and entertaining blockbuster and another fun Marvel world adaptation. Now let's see that Kung Fu panda.