IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Enjoyable, fun, quirky comedy

Author: craig-hopton from United Kingdom
15 April 2014

I thought this was a really enjoyable movie, a cut above your average US comedy drama.

Jason Segel plays the hapless central character quite brilliantly - a guy who's been left by his superstar girlfriend and is struggling to move on, and bumps into her again in Hawaii. He's supported well by the cast of Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Russell Brand.

The plot is as you'd except - he is finds someone else, let's her down, then makes up for it. But it's Segel that make this that bit more enjoyable. Segel's character is writing a Dracula musical with puppets - and sings a number from it to woo the girl. He befriends virtually everyone he meets in Hawaii, including Brand's character who stole his girlfriend. He cries out loud - often.

It's basically, a nice, quirky comedy with the odd bit of toilet humour that motors along quite pleasantly. I really enjoyed it.

Not a bad flick starring Frozen's Kristen Bell and The Muppets Jason Segal

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
2 February 2014

Jason Segal plays Peter a film composer who seems like he found the right girl called Sarah Marshall(Kristen Bell). But when she calls in to see him in the nude she of course wants to break up with him. Heartbroken he decides to go on a vacation to clear his head,ONLY for him to meet her again,only this time she has a new man in her life (played by Russell Brand).Later Peter meets a quirky receptionist called Rachel(played by Oz The Great & Powerful's Mina Kunis) and the two become close friends.

But will Peter ever let go of Sarah and settle down with Rachel instead?

Overall this screwball comedy has a few laughs in it,there's a lot of nudity however so be prepared but hey I remember seeing it before and it wasn't a bad film. If you love your movies where the guy just can't seem to let go of a chick or if you love Jason Segal and any actor that was involved in this film then check it out.

Overall im giving it a 6.

Keep an eye out for Paul Rudd from This Is 40 and Jonah Hill who later teamed up with Russell Brand in Get Him To Greek which is a spin off of Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Lacks the big moments.....not the kind of raunchy that most men enjoy

Author: kooleshwar (dudeshwar@yahoo.com) from India
30 January 2014

I've seen more Adult comedies than most people.

There are certain things people like me expect from such movies.

1) gratuitous female nudity/ non nude titillation.

2) A reasonable script which can even be based on regular events like parties, vacations, college life.

3)Hot chicks.

4) At least one thing about the movie being big, be it a premise or a scene or even a dialogue.

Luckily there are many of us out there who share similar tastes and there is a steady state movies that fit the above which get released year after year.

Every once in a while there comes a movie that most of the above but tries to something more.....and sometimes it doesn't really do much for the film.

This film is all about Jason, to the point that you just don't want to see him anymore. Lets face it he just doesn't have it yet for us to see so much of him....literally.

Which bring us to the other talking point of this film, male nudity, it probably served it purpose to create the stir that it was supposed to create , but when you see it in the context of the film, it really seems totally unnecessary, especially towards the end when it actually turns redundant to the point of annoying. When you couple that with the lack of titillating scenes involving females the disappointment starts knocking of stars.

The other thing about this movie is the lack of the BIG, even the most regular adult comedies will have a premise or a dialogue or a scene which will remain in your memory for years to come and this movie just doesn't have them.

But this movie does have what you will expect from its Apatowish cast.

Well written characters and script (loved Russell brand).

Witty if not hilarious dialogue.

Elements of the hopeless romantic (its more rom com than adult comedy).

Decent Acting all around.

It just doesn't have what it takes to be above good despite what the ratings suggest.

Inventive Hilarious Touching rom-com

Author: SnoopyStyle
26 January 2014

Peter Bretter (Jason Segel) is a TV musician for the show Crime Scenes. His girlfriend Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) is the star of the show. Then his life falls apart after she breaks up with him. He escapes to Hawaii for vacation but runs into Sarah and her new boyfriend rocker Aldous Snow (Russell Brand). The concierge Rachel Jansen (Mila Kunis) takes pity on him and gives him a great beach side cottage.

This is pack full of hilarious people who are doing great work. It starts with a gut busting hilarious crying penis breakup scene. The best side character is Jack McBrayer's sexually repressive newlywed. This is not just a run-of-the-mill rom-com. It is inventive, hilarious, and touching.

Well thought movie and a total entertainment

Author: Steven Silalahi from California
26 September 2013

I thought Forgetting Sarah Marshall was going to be one of those chick flick movies that would be to cheesy for me, but apparently not. Jason Segel really played a good role as a guy going to a heartbreak. For people who experienced that feeling, I'm sure this movie would be enjoyable. As I watched it, there was so much emotions that i can reflect back and certain behaviors that Jason Segel portrayed in the movie. By shooting it in Hawaii, made it really ironic because it's usually a place to have love instead of escaping from one, which was well thought. The the two girls with totally different personality that Peter (Jason Segel) had to deal with and played by Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis, made the movie exciting. So many love and sex jokes in this movie. If people would like some funny, not-cheesy love stories, this movie would be one. This movie contains many love and life morals that made me change my thought on how I see certain things,which is good in some ways. Although it's not great and not an Oscar quality movie, it's totally an entertainment for those people who needs something to watch over weekend, it's worth a shot. Although the plot is somewhat common, but the way the movie works and how the story goes is uncommon.

Great movie.

Author: Bruce722 from United States
18 August 2013

I honestly didn't expect to enjoy Forgetting Sarah Marshall as much as I did. Now don't get me wrong, I expected it to be hilarious, and it was, but I did not expect it to actually be a quality movie. Jason Segel proves that he's more than just a funny sidekick and the supporting cast of Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, and Russell Brand, in addition to the smaller roles performed by Johan Hill, Paul Rudd, Jack McBrayer, and more, made the line-up fantastic. Mila is absolutely breathtaking and this film really helped launch her career by showing that she can tap into that humor that transcends "chick-flick rom-coms". The plot was engaging, though not entirely realistic, but being a comedy movie, realism isn't always the biggest requirement. Overall, the crudeness isn't for everyone and it's more of a guy's film but I think most people would enjoy it.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Author: tajera belieber from Jamaica
13 August 2013

Peter forgot about her alright!! lol

I know i am a couple years far with my review but i am making a review of every show i watched before... This movie was really good i personally love Kristen Bell but I think she was kind of a B**** in this movie!! But the movie was still quite good! I loved that Peter got over Sarah and moved on with Rachel! Sarah was head over heals for Peter I couldn't believe that she left him and thought getting him back was gonna be easy!! I was so obvious that Sarah was jealous of Peter and Rachel... I was so glad to see Peter moving on with Rachel they made a cute couple!

An adequate romantic comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
13 August 2013

This is a romantic comedy about a man who got dumped by his famous girlfriend. He escapes to Hawaii for a holiday, only to see her there with another guy.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is mostly a typical romantic comedy, with a guy having to decide which attractive ladies to have a relationship with. The portrayal of emotions he goes through is quite deep for a romantic comedy, but still the film maintains a light hearted attitude and deliver laughs. Mila Kunis is attractive and sexy, she is right for the role. Kristen Bell's feelings, especially towards the end of the film, is well expressed, making me feel a little sorry for her character.

One interesting thing about "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is that it features quite a bit of male frontal nudity from Peter the leading man. Russell Brand also is not so shy about his body, but not to that extent.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is an adequate romantic comedy. It's not groundbreaking, but it is a good watch.

Surprisingly lifelike at times

Author: tapio_hietamaki from Helsinki, Finland
16 June 2013

My expectations weren't high, but I was positively surprised by the fleshed out characterization in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The main character, an unmotivated songwriter, makes decisions both bad and good and consistently has virtues and flaws. The same pretty much applies to most of the cast, which includes characters that start out stereotypical but end up somewhat redeeming themselves while staying true to their original nature.

The film stumbles a bit when it focuses on some supporting characters that are neither relevant to the story nor tasteful depictions. The story itself is quite traditional, though it takes some unexpected turns and feels a bit more raw than I suppose romantic comedies usually.

Not what I expected, but it has its moments

Author: Sandcooler from Belgium
25 December 2012

Maybe I just get too demanding when it comes to Judd Apatow productions, but "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is well, forgettable. It's not any worse than the average romantic comedy, but it's not much better either. Ten minutes in you know how the movie will end, which is bothersome because you expect Apatow's team to reinvent this genre at least a tiny bit. But nope, they just follow the same old tired formula everyone else uses. The comedy is pretty decent, but not perfect either. Jason Segel is fantastic in the lead and does great with the material he's got, but the supposedly hilarious secondary characters never really take off. Russell Brand is only funny for the first two scenes, then you've seen it. Jonah Hill is better, but there you have the opposite problem: he's underused. This movie just can't give you a break. The full frontal male nudity is also sort of a desperate attempt to be edgy, a really uninspired attempt to distinguish itself. I didn't hate "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", but it's no well, anything else Apatow has produced.