IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Much better than expected

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
26 April 2008

Although the movie has some of sophomoric humor you would expect from this kind of premise and this group of movie makers, it actually surprises you with some stylish humor in its design that bears some (dare I say it?) originality.

First, it's written with more attention to character study than is customary in these types of comedies. The writer gave them depth, and concocted them with strategic flaws, quirks, strengths, etc., so that their contrasting personalities would collide and bounce off each other with humorous results. The rock star new boyfriend (Russell Brand) of Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) in most movies like this would usually be a worn-out cliché of a dim-witted guy with slow mumbling speech who thinks the world owes him something. If anything, the film actually takes pokes at how these clichés have been so over-used. Brand takes this surprisingly amiable guy, who befriends his potential rival Brian, and runs with it. He gets some of the best laugh lines, too.

Bell, as the titular Sarah Marshall, is excellent. She, too, could have been a stock foul-mouthed, self satisfying, worthless bimbo type who spends hours in front of the mirror. Although the selfishness is there, it's at a believable level, and there are even fleeting moments when a good side to Sarah is shown. Mila Kunis plays Rachel, Peter's new girl friend, who works at a resort hotel in Hawaii, where all the action takes place. Either Kunis has improved immensely since her sitcom "70's Show" days, or else her role here as Rachel just gave her a more rounded character to work with: she is fabulous in this film.

Only Jason Segel (as the broken hearted Peter) is weak in his role; ironic, since he is the writer of the script. It's obvious his intent is to reverse typical gender personality types for the comic effect. Peter is clingy, explosively emotive, cries, and can't let go of the broken relationship. This all works for funny moments, but Segel's performance has a feel of "Look how fully I am!" It's more over done than comic exaggeration needs to be. Also, someone tell Mr. Segel we really don't need to see his full frontal poses: he plays them as a joke, OK, but they evoke barf bag reactions, not laughs.

This film falls into the trap of throwing in some mindless stuff, but overall, it's a surprising treat that's fun to watch.

Good laughs!

Author: buschman_007 from Maryland
21 April 2008

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie with my girlfriend. Segal has the hurt puppy dog character down pat and he put it to good use in a movie that revolves around it.

I am a huge Kristen Bell fan and she certainly brought her A game. Kunis, also smokin hot, really knocked her role out of the park as well.

Why no 9 or 10 star rating? The overused male full frontal nudity. It's become a disappointing trend in recent movies. You really don't need that sort of shock comedy with material this strong. Plus it's a bit annoying to have two absolutely gorgeous women as Bell and Kunis and the best we get is a bathroom photo and some bikini time. Seriously disappointed in that. I'm sure your target audience is males in the 18-40 category. Think about it! You don't have to go all porkys on us, but a few T & A shots of these two girls would have gotten you those two extra stars. Much like the birthing shot in Knocked up. Yeah it gets people talking, but it detracts from solid comedy material in my mind.

But barring that this was a really funny movie that we enjoyed watching.

A Comedy That Does It's Job....Making You Laugh

Author: atliel from United States
20 April 2008

I've read some critics complaining about the plot of the film but still agreeing that it's funny. Did I miss something here? Isn't that the point of a comedy? To laugh? If it did its job then it's good! Right? Well, I enjoyed it for all its silliness but even more so because it's easy to relate to. What's great is that none of the characters are card board cut-outs (clichés). As much as you would like to hate Sarah Marshall and her boyfriend there are moments where you sympathize or side with them, not because they're great people (you'll still side with the protagonist) but simply because you get them. You know where they're coming from and this adds a level of complexity missing from too many comedies who run with an overdone Hollywood formula and don't take any risks.

It's an interesting thing to have a particular type of comedy become known solely for its creators: "from the guys who brought you Superbad or Knocked Up or" get the point. It's almost like owning your own sub-genre and this wouldn't be very far fetched considering that the Apatow crowd do follow certain conventions that have become expected within their brand of comedy. For example dirty high school humor from guys who seem trapped between adolescence and adulthood but who, for the most part, are pretty decent people who just want to have fun without the complexities of old age. But those complexities always catch up to them and in the end they confront these problems as mature adults and become wiser for it. I bet most critics never thought of applying film theory to these films but there you have it.

A great yet crude comedy!!!

Author: ladyIndie from United States
11 April 2008

I have to say that when I first was walking into this special screening I wasn't really expecting greatness. I had seen "Knocked up" and "Superbad" but I had never really gotten into them, but Forgetting Sarah Marshall definitely stood out from the two. Aside from its graphic nudity, the jokes were absolutely hilarious, they had the entire theater laughing hysterically. If you go and see this movie (which you Definitely should) just make sure you don't take it to seriously. The jokes are crude but you can't help but laugh because of the way they are said. The actors in the movie did a great job throughout and I promise you won't leave disappointed. The movie truly is a must-see!

Great and funny.

Author: Ben Vales (ExemplarCaptus) from United States
4 April 2008

I'm not going to write too much as it's a fun film, and not one that I generally analyze.

I'm glad I got a sneak peak to Sarah Marshall. I've always been a fan of Superbad, and Knocked-up. So, I might be a bit biased. Not thinking of the films I mentioned earlier I must say I was laughing my ass off quite a bit. I think anyone with an opened mind that loves to laugh will enjoy this film. It is a love story, yes. But It was a great ride, and I recommend it to anyone.

There are 3 scenes that were particularly hilarious to me. Lets just say they have to do with puppets... psychiatrists... and blue balls. :D

Worst movie of 2008

Author: Oddo Luque from Venezuela
22 November 2008

I wasn't prepared for this crappy movie, I thought it was going to be something good you know, the producers of ..... NO! it was lame, sad, pathetic, nice backdrop but that's about it, there's not a single funny line in this movie, I WANT MY MONEY BACK. Well, the girls are nice looking, I think Kunis, could be doing something better than this kind of movies, I mean she's got something in her acting, I guess she could do better, the sex scenes, stupid, the cast, oh my, oh my the cast, the worst ensemble I've seen so far for the producing company, not a good movie at all people. Not worthy of our time. 1/10 awful awful awful awful. 40 year old virgin, that's what you want to see....

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was another entertaining Judd Apatow comedy

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
21 April 2008

Having been involved in The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, and now Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I think it's about time to call Judd Apatow the John Hughes of this generation. With a script by star Jason Segel and players like Jack McBrayer, Russell Brand, Apatow regulars Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Paul Rudd, and leading ladies Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis, Apatow has once again tapped into the public's taste for the raunchy and the romantic to a uniquely captivating effect. Seeing Segel's breakup with Bell while performing full-frontal was a bravely hilarious dare on his part. Seeing McBrayer's strained attempts at satisfying his newlywed other are some of plenty of other highlights for me. One of my favorite scenes comes near the end when we see the results of the "Dracula" puppet musical Segal's character created that looked entertaining enough for me to want to see in real life! The heart, laughs, and the painfully realistic depictions of relationships as enacted here provide a wonderful mix that makes this one of the most entertaining comedies I've seen at the movies so far this year. So with all that said, I highly recommend Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

A pleasant surprise

Author: ametaphysicalshark from
26 July 2008

A relatively minor Apatow clan release, released in April without the sort of promotion and attention "Knocked Up", "Superbad", "Pineapple Express", etc. received, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is a pleasant surprise, a consistently entertaining romantic comedy with several scenes of effective and realistic character-oriented drama.

The film was written by star Jason Segel, who based much of the film on his relationship and breakup with "Freaks and Geeks" co-star Linda Cardellini. For a debut screenplay Segel's work is surprisingly strong as he clearly understands where and how to inject just enough dramatic realism into this comedy script. As with most comedies there are naturally several jokes which fall flat, but most of the humor is sharp and effective. Segel even managed to write a good part for annoying nitwit Russell Brand, granted the character is an... annoying nitwit, but a well-written one. Segel's screenplay succeeds mostly as a result of him being able to develop a cast of entertaining and interesting characters whose conversations feel genuine and are never boring.

Director Nicholas Stoller handles the film very well, using the Hawaiian locations to optimal effect and keeping the film moving at a fast pace. The cast is incredible, Mila Kunis in particular is a revelation and anyone used to her from "That 70's Show" will be shocked but extremely taken by the depth and range of her performance. Kristen Bell is also much better than expected, and Segel is essentially playing himself yet again. He's good at playing himself.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" isn't perfect and several scenes just plain fall flat, but the end result is still an effective and involving romantic comedy/drama that marks a promising writing debut for Jason Segel.

Absolutely hilarious

Author: uclacampusevents
9 April 2008

The movie is absolutely hilarious. I loved it. It met and exceeded by (very high) expectations. Jason Segall proved he can hold down a leading role and an extremely funny script. Part of the reason this movie is so funny are the "funny 'cause it's true" aspects of Peter's method of dealing with his breakup. Although the honeymooner's plot was a little unnecessary, everything else was great. All the characters were really funny and the dialogue and situations were hilarious. Definitely worth paying for to see in the theaters and watching it with everyone else around you busting out laughing as well is a worthy experience too.

An awesome movie...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
18 October 2014

I absolutely love this movie. It's so fantastic. I've seen it at least seven times and I can't get enough. Just a warning, their is nudity. You see Jason Segel's penis a couple of times. Make sure if someone under the of, let's say, sixteen, to let them know when to cover their eyes. Because some parents are happy for teenagers to watch rude or inappropriate movies like this, but don't want them to see penises.

In this movie, Jason Segel's character, Peter, is currently dating one of the biggest superstars in Hollywood, Kristen Bell's character, Sarah Marshall. But when she breaks it off, he gets very upset and goes on a vacation to Hawaii, to try and get over her. Or at least, stop thinking about her. Hence the title, Forgetting Sarah Marshall. But when he goes to the Turtle Bay Resort on Oahu, and Sarah ends up being there as well, with her new boyfriend, Aldous Snow, things take a bad turn. Sarah thinks Peter as come to beg her to take him back, but that's not the case. Peter starts dating Turtle Bay employee, Rachel. But then Sarah tries to have a better relationship with Aldous than Peter does with Rachel. It's a battle to have a better, more steamy and more hotter relationship.

Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Russell Brand are all amazing in this movie.

Overall, I give this movie a 10 out of 10.