IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Forgettable Sarah

Author: commander_zero from Canada
12 September 2009

The reviews of this film were good, but not good enough to prevent me from waiting a year or so after its first appearance to rent it on DVD.

I should have waited until it hit Peachtree. What in the universe is happening to Hollywood comedy? Successful TV composer Peter is dumped by his live-in girlfriend, the even more successful TV actress Sarah Marshall. When the traumatized Peter goes to a Hawaiian resort to recover, he finds that Sarah is already there—worse yet, she is with her new boyfriend, the self-important rock star Aldous Snow.

This is where the film—up to this point not a bit funny—comes to a complete stop. Kind-hearted desk clerk Rachel—one sees this romance budding a mile away—takes pity on Peter and lets him have the hotel's best suite for free, enabling him to moon around after Sarah and her new love. Aldous, as it happens, isn't such a bad guy, but Peter resists all of his invitations to get to know him.

And there we sit. A half-hour into the film, there is an astonishing scene where Peter gets drunk in the hotel bar with the guy who plays Kenneth on "30 Rock" and a bartender who can name 200 local fish. Rachel enters. Next, Peter is playing piano by himself.

In these few minutes, all narrative stops. The film grinds to a halt. It is painful to watch, and in fact, the discerning viewer—by that I mean myself—at this point stops watching.

The how-to-write-a-great-screenplay teaching business is itself a multi-million dollar industry, but here we see deeply inept writing that has actually made it through what one assumes would be a rigorous vetting process to get to the screen. Although the critical reaction is equally amazing--how did this film get such good reviews?

Totally AWFUL

Author: Alison Hargreaves from United Kingdom
19 February 2011

The biggest load of C R A P that I've have seen for a long time.

No story line to speak of, terrible acting and the ghastly Russell Brand - all in all the lowest common denominator in film.... DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS ONE... EVER.....

If you want Rom Coms, there are far superior films out there - try Woody Allen films.

If you do decide to rent this abomination, prepare to be disappointed.. a lame waste of time with crude attempts at humour that fall flat on their faces.

There would be no spoilers for this film....

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was another entertaining Judd Apatow comedy

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
21 April 2008

Having been involved in The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, and now Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I think it's about time to call Judd Apatow the John Hughes of this generation. With a script by star Jason Segel and players like Jack McBrayer, Russell Brand, Apatow regulars Jonah Hill, Bill Hader, Paul Rudd, and leading ladies Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis, Apatow has once again tapped into the public's taste for the raunchy and the romantic to a uniquely captivating effect. Seeing Segel's breakup with Bell while performing full-frontal was a bravely hilarious dare on his part. Seeing McBrayer's strained attempts at satisfying his newlywed other are some of plenty of other highlights for me. One of my favorite scenes comes near the end when we see the results of the "Dracula" puppet musical Segal's character created that looked entertaining enough for me to want to see in real life! The heart, laughs, and the painfully realistic depictions of relationships as enacted here provide a wonderful mix that makes this one of the most entertaining comedies I've seen at the movies so far this year. So with all that said, I highly recommend Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

A pleasant surprise

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
26 July 2008

A relatively minor Apatow clan release, released in April without the sort of promotion and attention "Knocked Up", "Superbad", "Pineapple Express", etc. received, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is a pleasant surprise, a consistently entertaining romantic comedy with several scenes of effective and realistic character-oriented drama.

The film was written by star Jason Segel, who based much of the film on his relationship and breakup with "Freaks and Geeks" co-star Linda Cardellini. For a debut screenplay Segel's work is surprisingly strong as he clearly understands where and how to inject just enough dramatic realism into this comedy script. As with most comedies there are naturally several jokes which fall flat, but most of the humor is sharp and effective. Segel even managed to write a good part for annoying nitwit Russell Brand, granted the character is an... annoying nitwit, but a well-written one. Segel's screenplay succeeds mostly as a result of him being able to develop a cast of entertaining and interesting characters whose conversations feel genuine and are never boring.

Director Nicholas Stoller handles the film very well, using the Hawaiian locations to optimal effect and keeping the film moving at a fast pace. The cast is incredible, Mila Kunis in particular is a revelation and anyone used to her from "That 70's Show" will be shocked but extremely taken by the depth and range of her performance. Kristen Bell is also much better than expected, and Segel is essentially playing himself yet again. He's good at playing himself.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" isn't perfect and several scenes just plain fall flat, but the end result is still an effective and involving romantic comedy/drama that marks a promising writing debut for Jason Segel.

7.5/10

10/10 best movie i've seen in literally years

Author: trapaholics420
13 July 2014

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is hands down one of the best movies I have seen in my lifetime that some may consider short, but to me feels never ending, but i digress. Jason Segell's character is extremely likable, particularly after his hilarious yet heart wrenching nude break up scene. It really feels like the viewer them self grows with Peter as the plot develops. Mila Kunis is a mega babe as well don't even get me started. I literally have no issues with this film I absolutely loved it. Definitely would not recommend watching this movie with your kids or your mother-in-law though! Some humor may be a tad crude for some people's tastes, but other than that this film is a must watch for any fan of romantic comedies.

Enjoyable, fun, quirky comedy

Author: craig-hopton from United Kingdom
15 April 2014

I thought this was a really enjoyable movie, a cut above your average US comedy drama.

Jason Segel plays the hapless central character quite brilliantly - a guy who's been left by his superstar girlfriend and is struggling to move on, and bumps into her again in Hawaii. He's supported well by the cast of Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis and Russell Brand.

The plot is as you'd except - he is finds someone else, let's her down, then makes up for it. But it's Segel that make this that bit more enjoyable. Segel's character is writing a Dracula musical with puppets - and sings a number from it to woo the girl. He befriends virtually everyone he meets in Hawaii, including Brand's character who stole his girlfriend. He cries out loud - often.

It's basically, a nice, quirky comedy with the odd bit of toilet humour that motors along quite pleasantly. I really enjoyed it.

Not a bad flick starring Frozen's Kristen Bell and The Muppets Jason Segal

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
2 February 2014

Jason Segal plays Peter a film composer who seems like he found the right girl called Sarah Marshall(Kristen Bell). But when she calls in to see him in the nude she of course wants to break up with him. Heartbroken he decides to go on a vacation to clear his head,ONLY for him to meet her again,only this time she has a new man in her life (played by Russell Brand).Later Peter meets a quirky receptionist called Rachel(played by Oz The Great & Powerful's Mina Kunis) and the two become close friends.

But will Peter ever let go of Sarah and settle down with Rachel instead?

Overall this screwball comedy has a few laughs in it,there's a lot of nudity however so be prepared but hey I remember seeing it before and it wasn't a bad film. If you love your movies where the guy just can't seem to let go of a chick or if you love Jason Segal and any actor that was involved in this film then check it out.

Overall im giving it a 6.

Keep an eye out for Paul Rudd from This Is 40 and Jonah Hill who later teamed up with Russell Brand in Get Him To Greek which is a spin off of Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Lacks the big moments.....not the kind of raunchy that most men enjoy

Author: kooleshwar (dudeshwar@yahoo.com) from India
30 January 2014

I've seen more Adult comedies than most people.

There are certain things people like me expect from such movies.

1) gratuitous female nudity/ non nude titillation.

2) A reasonable script which can even be based on regular events like parties, vacations, college life.

3)Hot chicks.

4) At least one thing about the movie being big, be it a premise or a scene or even a dialogue.

Luckily there are many of us out there who share similar tastes and there is a steady state movies that fit the above which get released year after year.

Every once in a while there comes a movie that most of the above but tries to something more.....and sometimes it doesn't really do much for the film.

This film is all about Jason, to the point that you just don't want to see him anymore. Lets face it he just doesn't have it yet for us to see so much of him....literally.

Which bring us to the other talking point of this film, male nudity, it probably served it purpose to create the stir that it was supposed to create , but when you see it in the context of the film, it really seems totally unnecessary, especially towards the end when it actually turns redundant to the point of annoying. When you couple that with the lack of titillating scenes involving females the disappointment starts knocking of stars.

The other thing about this movie is the lack of the BIG, even the most regular adult comedies will have a premise or a dialogue or a scene which will remain in your memory for years to come and this movie just doesn't have them.

But this movie does have what you will expect from its Apatowish cast.

Well written characters and script (loved Russell brand).

Witty if not hilarious dialogue.

Elements of the hopeless romantic (its more rom com than adult comedy).

Decent Acting all around.

It just doesn't have what it takes to be above good despite what the ratings suggest.

An adequate romantic comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
13 August 2013

This is a romantic comedy about a man who got dumped by his famous girlfriend. He escapes to Hawaii for a holiday, only to see her there with another guy.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is mostly a typical romantic comedy, with a guy having to decide which attractive ladies to have a relationship with. The portrayal of emotions he goes through is quite deep for a romantic comedy, but still the film maintains a light hearted attitude and deliver laughs. Mila Kunis is attractive and sexy, she is right for the role. Kristen Bell's feelings, especially towards the end of the film, is well expressed, making me feel a little sorry for her character.

One interesting thing about "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is that it features quite a bit of male frontal nudity from Peter the leading man. Russell Brand also is not so shy about his body, but not to that extent.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is an adequate romantic comedy. It's not groundbreaking, but it is a good watch.

Another Hilarious Apatow Production!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
27 June 2012

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is another absolutely hilarious film produced by the great Judd Apatow. Despite plenty of sex jokes, this film has a heart in the middle. I love comedies that have a heart because that is what makes them so good and watchable.

This is about a guy who breaks up with his actress girlfriend. In order to deal with his heartbreak, he takes a vacation to Hawaii so he can once again have a good time.

The acting is really good. The cast led by Jason Segel, Kristen Bell, Mila Kunis, and Russell Brand proved that they have great chemistry together. I thought Brand was especially hilarious in this film.

Overall, this was a funny, heart-warming(at times) film. Whenever Apatow directs or produces a movie, you know it will be great. I rate this film 9/10.