IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Forgettable Sarah

Author: commander_zero from Canada
12 September 2009

The reviews of this film were good, but not good enough to prevent me from waiting a year or so after its first appearance to rent it on DVD.

I should have waited until it hit Peachtree. What in the universe is happening to Hollywood comedy? Successful TV composer Peter is dumped by his live-in girlfriend, the even more successful TV actress Sarah Marshall. When the traumatized Peter goes to a Hawaiian resort to recover, he finds that Sarah is already there—worse yet, she is with her new boyfriend, the self-important rock star Aldous Snow.

This is where the film—up to this point not a bit funny—comes to a complete stop. Kind-hearted desk clerk Rachel—one sees this romance budding a mile away—takes pity on Peter and lets him have the hotel's best suite for free, enabling him to moon around after Sarah and her new love. Aldous, as it happens, isn't such a bad guy, but Peter resists all of his invitations to get to know him.

And there we sit. A half-hour into the film, there is an astonishing scene where Peter gets drunk in the hotel bar with the guy who plays Kenneth on "30 Rock" and a bartender who can name 200 local fish. Rachel enters. Next, Peter is playing piano by himself.

In these few minutes, all narrative stops. The film grinds to a halt. It is painful to watch, and in fact, the discerning viewer—by that I mean myself—at this point stops watching.

The how-to-write-a-great-screenplay teaching business is itself a multi-million dollar industry, but here we see deeply inept writing that has actually made it through what one assumes would be a rigorous vetting process to get to the screen. Although the critical reaction is equally amazing--how did this film get such good reviews?

Totally AWFUL

Author: Alison Hargreaves from United Kingdom
19 February 2011

The biggest load of C R A P that I've have seen for a long time.

No story line to speak of, terrible acting and the ghastly Russell Brand - all in all the lowest common denominator in film.... DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS ONE... EVER.....

If you want Rom Coms, there are far superior films out there - try Woody Allen films.

If you do decide to rent this abomination, prepare to be disappointed.. a lame waste of time with crude attempts at humour that fall flat on their faces.

There would be no spoilers for this film....

What a Waste

Author: Skaterever5 from United States
5 October 2014

What a waste of time. I feel cheated out of 111 minutes of my life and i want it back. Definitely not funny and not even a good movie in any other respect. Russell Brand was mildly interesting but it wasn't enough. I can't understand how it could get a 7.3 rating on IMDb except that their must be lot of high people watching and then reviewing it. Find something else to watch and don't trust the inflated ratings on IMDb. And this minimum review length is lame. How long do you need to read that i thought this movie sucks monkey butts? How many ways does it need to be said? This movie gives Jason Segal a really bad name since he is the guy that wrote it (for now he should just stick to acting).

Very mildly amusing comedy, mainly vulgar and predictable.

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnaby.rudge@hotmail.co.uk) from Todmorden, England
23 November 2009

I felt like a Scrooge-like miser while watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Around me in the cinema, people were slapping their thigh and roaring with laughter and wiping tears of mirth from their eye. I wanted to join them, really I did…. but I just wasn't "feeling" it. The film amused me occasionally; frequently it didn't; and true laugh-out-loud moments could probably be counted on one hand. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a very similar experience to watching a Bo Derek movie called "10" – it's a little risqué and rude; it's aimed squarely at a specific target audience; and it's not as funny as everyone involved would like you to think. Ten or fifteen years from now, I think this film will be largely forgotten.

TV and movie score composer Peter Bretter (Jason Segal) is dumped by his hot girlfriend, TV actress Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell). He attempts a few relationships with other girls, but each time is more disastrous than the last. Eventually Peter is persuaded by his brother to go on vacation. He chooses Hawaii as there is a resort there which Sarah often spoke highly of. Upon arrival, Peter is shocked to discover that Sarah is taking a vacation there too with her new flame, narcissistic rocker Aldous Snow (Russell Brand). The situation looks like it's going to get out of hand until Peter befriends a pretty hotel receptionist named Rachel (Mila Kunis). Gradually he begins to develop feelings for Rachel and realises that there CAN be happiness after Sarah. He even reveals to Rachel his long-secret plan of creating a musical show based on Dracula, performed by a cast of puppets. But the course of true love is never smooth, and Peter suffers various calamities and misadventures before his fate in love is finally decided…

Perhaps the chief strength of Forgetting Sarah Marshall is that it is romantic comedy for guys AND girls. There is a certain raunchy, vulgar flavour to the proceedings which tries to tap in to the notion of a "male sense of humour". Anyone thinking they're about to watch a chick flick will quickly realise this is not so. The performances are broadly what you would expect – Segal is amusing, the girls are pretty but shallow, and Russell Brand basically plays himself. The Hawaiian locations provide a lush backdrop. There are flashes of male and female nudity, none of them particularly gratuitous but none of them all that necessary either. In the script department, the story proceeds in a fairly predictable manner, with clichéd characters and comic situations which could have been lifted from any TV sitcom. At 110 minutes (or 117 minutes if you're watching the extended version), the film is around ten or fifteen minutes longer than it ought to be, but it doesn't tax the patience to excessive levels. An easy, lazy watch overall… but not particularly worthy of the adulation that has been heaped upon it.

Great fun!

Author: Jorge Mori from Tucson, Arizona
12 May 2016

Jason Segel wrote a most clever and engaging screenplay. The visual adaptation of his brainchild is populated with an excellent cast, in particular that rogue, Russell Brand, who plays a benign narcissist (why are the English particularly good playing narcissists?), and to a lesser degree Jonah Hill (actually everyone was good). Jason Segel, who appears not to know the meaning of modesty, delightfully and hilariously so, is thoroughly engaged in the painful throes of a broken heart. Jason delivers a tour de force performance that had me howling with laughter. It's a laugh a minute and you've 111 opportune minutes of pure unadulterated fun punctuated with belly laughs! Well done Jason, Auf Wiedersehen!

What were they thinking?

Author: gunot213-411-874580
4 January 2013

I found myself alone, lonely, depressed. My girlfriend left me and I needed a movie to cheer me up. I searched the internet for a comedy film and I found that 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' was rated highly. I purchased the DVD and it arrived within 48 hours. Boy, was I happy to receive a comedy movie. I couldn't wait for the movie to begin making me smile. It didn't.

The movie starts out showing the main character naked. Completely, naked. You see his genitalia which I can assure you - was not a nice sight. There's a reason most movies don't include scenes like that - because it's not appealing, not necessary and most certainly not funny.

The movie's plot was basically: guy loves girl, girl cheats, guy finds another girl, messes up. The end. The movie is 1 hr 15 mins long - and even that felt like too much.

Russell Brand, whilst he tried, came across as a bland, boring character and Jonah Hill (who played the waiter) couldn't even out this mess of a movie.

With an unnecessary shock-scene in the beginning, atrocious storyline, poor dialogue and lack of pace, this movie gets a 1/10 from me. If it wasn't for Russell and Jonah, this movie would be a 0/10 (if I could rate it so low).

Bottom line: Don't rent it, don't watch it. It's trash. If you ignore my message, then all I can say is: I told you so.

Thanks for reading. Now I'm going to try find another comedy to cheer me up, because this movie didn't.

Moderately amusing, decent romcom

Author: adamonfilm from England, United Kingdom
22 December 2016

'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' was very popular when it was first released, and seems to remain a popular choice with TV networks. Until recently, I avoided it at all costs, thinking it would be exactly the sort of movie I hate.

After finally watching it, I was pleasantly surprised. Even with the odious and totally unfunny Russell Brand, it was adequately funny, an unexpected change for a romcom. There was plenty I didn't like though. There's a lot of crude humour in the film, and some of it just isn't funny. This film is the movie equivalent of a joke book. Some parts are amusing, others not so much.

Overall, 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' provides a few good laughs, but is rather hit and miss with its humour. A moderately amusing, but overrated comedy.

Suicidal Thoughts After Watching It...

Author: msmandeep217 from India
5 June 2015

To all the people who watched this movie and loved it, including those who given it at least 3 or 4 ratting, Has any of you ever heard about RELATIVITY ? I bet ya'll ain't. I just don't want to pretend like some smart one by starting this review with words like 'I have never given any review before..blah blah blah' But actually i really didn't given much. I think writing reviews should be work of pro and amateur film-making related people. So i am not one of them but i tell you i have been raised on Hollywood movies since 12. So i do hold a right to show wrath of my dis-likeness towards a lousy, devastating, lame and pathetic called 'romantic-comedy' movie.

I am a huge fan of Jason Segel from his How I Met Your Mother days. He was so great in that. Even i am a practically a atheist but i think he's really that gifted when i see him in HIMYM. But hey this is a movie, another script, another thing, so i gotta leave the old Jason there. After watching this movie i only thought one thing why did he wrote this script ? why ? it was the worse night of my whole life. This movie was a nightmare, Exorcist for romance comedy genre.

I am having suicidal thoughts after watching this movie. I am feeling it in the air. The vibe that block Jason Segel from everywhere or accept death in first place.

The only benefit of this movie must be for sending it to ISIS and torturing their minds, they will rip their hearts out after watching it.

Please God have mercy if you are there. Somebody save people in future who going to watch it.

The movie itself was worse than it's scripted one, the one that Sarah Marshall acted in, getting killed by phone. Aw, too much competition.

Wondering why did i give 1 out of 10 ratting, it's because of two reasons, one they didn't allow you to give 0, secondly math can't save you.

I thought it will chill me out, i will have some laughs, but hey it made me depressed sick, it made me to think about going to see a shrink.

This movie didn't made me laugh for a second. You ask me what i like than, the day before this movie, i watched Woody Allen's Manhattan and i enjoyed every every piece of , second of that movie. Every joke and everything, the flow of the movie but that's another story.

I also have watched like thousands of Hollywood movies including hundreds of comedy romance ones. But hey this one was so ...i can't use perfect word for that. Too awful felt like i swallowed bunch of needles.

Although i follow John Lennon's quote to "do not hate what you don't understand" but please do not watch this movie, please i begging you to death.

First movie ever that i regretted watching so much that i had to remove the movie from my notebook right on spot. Spontaneous.

Worse, Worse movie of all time in comedy romance genre.

Oh My God wish i could use F words here. It was so tragic that i have to look after myself more carefully now. One thing that this movie taught me is that nature's law has equal reactions, means that what you like is important to same amount for what you don't like. Prozac for me, prayers for you.

At times, even crap seems to be fine.

Author: braddugg from India
19 September 2014

At times, even crap seems to be fine.

As my friend Raghuveer just said, "no film is a bad film if our faculties are laid to rest". This is not a bad film either, just that we have rest our faculties. I was reluctant halfway through the film to complete this, yet I did make it to the end, coz I just wanted to see a light hearted comedy after watching those big great films. Now, even this mind needs some rest and this film gave me the much needed respite.

In many terms, if I look at this from a critical perspective it is very average, be it dialogue acting or the whole theme of getting to a girlfriend, we saw this in When Harry Met Sally, and so many other films just that here, we have a different backdrop. Sarah is a TV actor and the guy Peter is trying hard to forgetting his ex girlfriend Sarah Marshall.

So most of things happen for our peace here, he gets a place to stay, falls in love with a different woman, and sticks on to her. And even before this, he tries one night stands. All is so easy in this guys life it seems. So that's how easily this movie was made and yet it was made likable. May be Hawaii, the backdrop of this movie was got me into it more than anything else. And this film displays may romantic traditions of Hawaii and I loved them.

Thanks guys, for making an average movie as this, coz at times, we need average stuff to find our self back. You helped me do that again. Giving you a 2/5 for the technical aspects which are certainly above average, just that I have seen such films so many.

Puppets

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
3 August 2009

This has jokes that often work. It has a genuine pathos that is surprisingly rare and is now the trademark of Apatow productions.

It has Hawaii and two women, one pretty the other a beauty. It has a deftly comic foil in the "other boyfriend." It has some frontal male nudity that probably should be commended simply because its avoidance is ridiculous. Here, in fact, we have it twice and though it is meant to punch up those scenes, I found that it actually was dramatically integrated.

But because I am a narrative folding nut, I'll point out the three inner performance folds. The girlfriend is a TeeVee star on a show for which our hero writes music. Her inner role reflects on her outer one.

The other boyfriend is a British rock star, whose onstage persona is mirrored in his character in the film. And the thing ends with the hero's play within the play. In this case it is an extremely clever musical comedy derived from Dracula and performed by a mix of puppets, humans in costume and the participating puppetmasters. It is really quite wonderful by itself and after the story ends, it is clear how the whole project grew out of it. The integration of the idea of a love that "smothers" is brilliant.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.