IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 21 of 33: [Prev][16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [Next]

Another great comedy

Author: hockeygiant97 from United States
1 June 2008

I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for a while however didn't get a chance to watch it till last night. I thought the movie was hilarious. Lots of funny parts so your pretty much laughing the entire movie. In my opinion the 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up were better but this one was still good. The only think I was upset about was how they didn't really establish Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) as the bad girl. When Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) breaks up with her and she wants to get back with Peter (Jason Segel) it was kind of like OK is this a good thing or a bad thing. Might be just me but I had mixed feelings about whether he should get back together with her or stay with Rachel (Mila Kunis). The thing that bothered me is when she talked about him "living on his couch" which got me to feel that it was his fault. I think they would have been better off leaving that part out. But overall I felt like it was a very good film and enjoyed it.

Much better than you would think.

Author: The_Orenda from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 May 2008

After Knocked Up and The 40 Yr. Old Virgin, I was surprised to see Judd Apatow's newest film, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, maintain the same success as the earlier films. Try this as a surprise, Sarah Marshall is Judd's best film yet. There's far more comedy in this film than the previous efforts and the actors are perfectly suited for the film. Easily this is Jason Segel's best work and is the perfect vehicle for Russell Brand, whose Aldous Snow virtually stole the show and Mila Kunis, as this film was her best performance as of yet.

Although Aldous Snow stole the show, with some of the best one-liners ever, everyone in the movie you come to laugh at and enjoy. It was a pleasant surprise to see everyone have a happy ending and that the movie was actually really good! With Judd's recent effort, hopefully the way of the one-joke movie will finally die off and make way for entertaining comedies such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Surprisingly hilarious.

Author: bobsgrock from United States
28 April 2008

This being the first Judd Apatow film I have seen, I wasn't sure what to expect from this knowing that his forte is gross-out humor with a touch of a heartwarming message. After seeing Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I am pleased to say that is exactly what you get. It was gross sure enough, but there have been far worse. What is so surprising is the amount of heart and soul there is to this story. It really focuses in on Jason Segel's character as he tries to overcome his heartbreak and finds new challenges along the way. It is hilarious at times, as well as sad. Overall, though, it was quite enjoyable and makes a great date movie for guys and girls. The script was great, but Mila Kunis and Russell Brand really make this story work. Each gives a different type of character that you can love and feel sympathy for. Everyone is great, but these two stand out. So, go see this movie if only for the humor and the touching love story that has been missing in Hollywood all these years.

Very funny, but predictable

Author: Superbeasto from United Kingdom
24 April 2008

It's a little tough for me to get a handle on how effective the first 20 minutes of this movie are, because the projectionist was showing it in the wrong ratio, meaning the boom mic was swinging around the screen like a bee that had been let in the room and was intent on following the conversation. A bee on a big metal arm like.

Still, once that got sorted and the distraction was out of the way (idiotically jabbering cinema patrons not-withstanding) I had a pretty good time with this movie. It's completely predictable, and in most respects like just about every other romcom you've ever seen but still manages to hit a consistent laugh rate. A lot of those laughs arise from the japes of Russell Brand though, who is a marmite personality if there ever was one, so if you have an irrational hatred of the man then you may want to steer clear. He does very well though, his character effectively being Russell Brand and appearing to ad lib all over the place, thus avoiding any awkwardness that his transition to the big screen might have resulted in (I haven't seen "St. Trinians" though, so can't vouch for him in that, he might be a roasted turd in it for all I know).

Also deserving mention is Paul Rudd, who is brilliant as always and comes close to stealing the show. And an entertaining show it is, ignore that it's horribly clichéd, forget that it follows the cookie cutter structure of every rom-com on the planet, relax and have a few laughs with it.

More of a romance than a comedy.

Author: MairegChernet (mchernet15@gmail.com) from United States
10 August 2008

The Apatow group makes another film which by the way isn't a stoner comedy. For me Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a more of a romance movie. It's no match for other comedies from the same group such as Superbad and is also far from being hilarious. It's indeed smart and witty at times, But the jokes in this film aren't consistent, as they were in the other films. The film's characters for the most part are all funny, such as Aldous and the Hawaiian waiters. The actors also were awesome. The film is occasionally funny and in comparison to other Apatow films it's not as good but is not bad either.

My rating 6.8/10

will not forget Forgetting Sarah Marshall so soon...

Author: (lustigit)
21 June 2008

To tell the truth, I went to this movie with doubts. Some comments read this movie as not funny. But it is after all an Apatow production. What's more, I really like Jason Segel from "How I met Your Mother" and was curious as to his abilities as a writer. And with Paul Rudd, Russell Brand, Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell and others, this movie seemed to be potentially perfect.

I was not let down, actually I was surprised! This movie IS really good! It's funny in the right ways, its charming to the right point, and its simply pure fun!

I believe what I like in the formula of this line of comedies is the lack of pretentiousness, focusing on our hero who is an antithesis to a hero and using extraordinary events around a really ordinary person. The jokes are not mainly "hit on the head" jokes. I found more depth and intelligence to a lot of them.

In the end what really convinced me was that in our cinema hall people from all ages laughed together, whether they were in their 20th, 30th or even 60th.

I believe this movie is for everyone in the mood for 2 hours of cinema love and fun.

Where the f*&@$ did Jason Segel come from?

Author: amateur100 from United States
4 May 2008

I heard about "Sarah Marshall" via preview, probably a day before it came out in theaters. I had also never even heard of Jason Segel, who plays the heartbroken ex boyfriend (it was a double shocker to find he also wrote the script). Nonetheless I did hear that Judd Apatow produced the film, so I decided to give it a try. After two hours in a theater I had the only Romantic Comedy (except for Love Actually, but that doesn't count in my book) that I could place on my list of "really good movies" (I use extremely eloquent language in my reviews, so if you are an inexperienced reader, move on to the next of the long line of comments made by wannabe movie producers/ directors/writers/actors/reviewers and those who just have no idea what the difference between Superbad and American Pie is (it's obviously the pie) (last parenthetical usage)). The ability of Apatow and crew to consistently make raunchy movies with poignant messages is unbelievable. As I thought, the plot was extremely run-of-the-mill (boy loses girl, boy finds other girl, boy has chance to get with sorry ex-girl, boy chooses newer girl), but I didn't give a spit (insert an "h" instead of the "p," a loophole I found years ago). This movie was filled with character depth only an acclaimed drama, not a teen shock comedy, would have. The tremendously believable acting in this hilarious film was the most surprising aspect, personally, and a breath of fresh air from some of the cartoonishly stupid movies that somehow are produced (e.g. anything those "Scary Movie" guys create). The parts where Jason Segel pathetically breaks down crying in a number of awkward circumstances (one being after sex with another woman) had flawless comedic timing, yet dramatic authenticity. A new brand of movies revealed itself to me. Overall, it's a great comedy that is not for the feint of heart (a lot of out-of-shape man penis), and it is a film that can (and should) be enjoyed by any adult... just give it a try.

Cashing in on success can be dangerous...Sarah Marshall proves it

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
28 April 2008

Judd Apatow struck gold with the surprisingly witty and hilarious 40 Year Old Virgin and then managed to shock and make me roll in the aisles with Knocked Up but now he's rolling out his punches like everything he does is gold and that just isn't the case. His brand of comedy is pure shock value and you can't always say outrageously stupid, crude and shocking things and expect it to be funny. That being said Forgetting Sarah Marshall has a lot of memorable outrageous stupid lines but that is about as far as it goes. It doesn't have the slapstick lovable qualities that Virgin did and it certainly doesn't have the style or wit that Knocked Up had. It goes for something a little more shocking taking it a step further kind of like what was attempted with Superbad which most people loved and I thought it was just okay but it showed a downgrade in the Apatow comedy bit. I never saw Drillbit Taylor but from what I heard that one continued the downward spiral. I mean Forgetting Sarah Marshall's claim to fame was the fact that star and writer Jason Segel goes full frontal and believe me he does but I didn't find it funny or shocking but rather cheap and stupid. However it would appear as though people bought into it gathering the laughter in the back of the room.

I think part of the problem was the lead cast. Jason Segel was charming and funny as a bit character in Knocked Up but his transition to leading man doesn't quite work. He just doesn't seem to be right for the part and I couldn't help but continually think that Adam Sandler would have made this movie a million times better. He came across as cheesy and fake and it didn't work. Apatow films have this thing about pairing average or less than average looking dudes with beautiful women which I am all for but they have to have personality like Virgin's Steve Carell or Knocked Up's Seth Rogen. Segel can't carry a movie unfortunately. Kristen Bell is good as the love her or hate her former girlfriend and TV Star. She looks beautiful but her performance is kind of shallow which maybe reflects her character but her chemistry with Segel is lacking something. Mila Kunis looks beautiful as the eye candy and new love interest for Segel but her character is rather shallow too and she isn't supposed to be. She just doesn't get a lot of depth and I think she has the talent but they don't give her much and she doesn't have a lot of chemistry with Segel either...coincidence? Or bad lead casting? The supporting cast is good and not so good. I think the use of Jonah Hill who became an instant star following Superbad was a waste. He wasn't funny at all and he was annoying and got in the way. He stuck out like a sore thumb. I adore Paul Rudd's dry comedy and he is terrific in a sadly small role (maybe he should have taken lead.) But he is still funny. Davon McDonald is also quite amusing in a small role as the bartender. However there is an absolute scene stealer...his name is Russell Brand and he's an English comedian and he absolutely steals the show as sleazy but completely lovable rock star Aldous Snow. I mean the guy is kind of a creep and yet he is incredibly cool, and downright hilarious. I could watch this movie again and again JUST for him. He was awesome and had good chemistry with everyone including Kristen Bell. I would honestly recommend this movie just to watch him, he's awesome!!

I didn't dislike Forgetting Sarah Marshall...I just thought it was a very average story with some funny lines but a weak story, an even weaker romance, and tries far too hard to shock you into laughter. I think Apatow needs to take a step back and look at the true talent in his newfound troupe that he likes using (Rogen, Rudd, Segel, Hill) and find out who suits the best role and where. The point is it is pretty dumb and doesn't hold a lot, if any, wit or true comedy. Millions will see it but I foretell a downward spiral when it comes to the Apatow comedies and I think he needs to look for that special spark that endeared him to us in previous good films. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is as average as they come. 7/10

Mildly Funny, Moderately entertaining, A significantly average comedy

Author: Alexander Penn from United Kingdom
26 September 2008

Stoller's 'Forgetting Sarah Marshell' is quite an entertaining comedy that does have its dry moments along side funny moments, but for me, this is predominantly a very average comedy and somewhat over-rated by the IMDb and general public.

Its basically about some guy being dumped by his superstar girlfriend and he takes very hard.

Jason Segel pulled off an amusing performance as you would expect, his script was snappy, cool and well written despite the definite issues of pacing. Russell Brand was surprisingly good in his role as Aldous Snow. Slight hints of satire in his irreverent character.

This film is very current and its aiming for a very current audience. There's an array of beautiful women, pop culture jokes (sex and the city joke was great) and crudeness. That is why this may not be for everyone.

This is one level higher than Superbad but the dragging story and lack of hilarious comedy drags it down. I only found myself laughing out loud once at the beginning where Brand's character unites a Jew and an Arab as a sign of equality, other than this, I was only chuckling.

5.3/10

You want to laugh for 2 hours? See this one

Author: boatsfra from United States
18 May 2008

Wow...

Went to see this yesterday and laughed for 2 hours! A movie that doesn't dumb you down and yes, the humor is crude and the visuals aren't child appropriate, but it doesn't go out of its way to be funny. Every character in the movie is a CHARACTER, in other words, each have their own way to say "look at me"...and if you are reading this, you will understand if you watch the movie. I really am reluctant to go to comedies, but this is in line with his other movies...this guy is definitely on a roll...enjoy your 2 hours!!

Excellent job all around, 7 dollars well spent.