IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Really waste of time

Author: WatchIsWasteOfTime from Stuttgart
19 January 2014

For starters, sorry for my English but I am not a native – but suffering by watching this movie made me to write a review. I have never seen such a boring film/story in my entire live. Don't want to blame the producers/director of the film – they made their money I assume, but it was really awful, even the attempts to slapstick were horrible. All characters are empty jars, it is all quite predictable. Well, thats not unusual in a romantic comedy, but here it is just way too much. In the beginning there is shown the genitals of the main character 3 times - or maybe a dummy of them, and you are asking yourself: why the h... is that necessary? Is that supposed to be funny? The story dabbles on and on, he is left by her, he is a real lame duck, anyhow he manages to get a lot of quite beautiful women in his bed trying to forget his ex with sex - what never works out and what in the meantime is common knowledge to every hillbilly. Nothing will help, so he is going on vacation at a resort in Hawaii - and nice coincidence - accidentally his ex-girlfriend is in the same resort with her really dummy of a rock star-boyfriend and on and on ... horrible. Rather not necessary to say that he stays all the time a real sissy. Strongly recommended - not.

I'll Soon be Forgetting Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.moviemoviesite.com
23 July 2010

It's no surprise that this film pretty much divides opinion between the young and not-so-young (according to the user ratings) and, to a lesser extent, between women and men. You'd expect it to be a chick flick rom-com (if you forgot that Judd Apatow was involved) but, with its irreverent gross-out comedy and stock of hot females, it's no wonder that it appeals to young men.

Jason Segel stars as Peter, a musician who finds himself dumped by his TV star girlfriend. On the advice of his slightly nerdy friend, Peter decides to fly to Hawaii to forget her, but guess what? She's only there! At the same hotel! Who'd have thought it? Unfortunately, she's there with the man she dumped Peter for, a hairy rock star played by the witless Russell Brand. This being a product of La-La land, it's absolutely impossible for either party to consider changing hotels, so the hapless Peter runs into his ex and her new man everywhere he goes. Luckily for him there's a luscious receptionist on hand to help soothe his pain…

The film's amiable enough, but it struggles to find many laughs in such a clichéd situation. Many scenes and situations seem to have been created for no apparent reason: a sub-plot involving a dorky pair of newlyweds goes nowhere and is abruptly dropped, leaving you to wonder why it was included in the first place; Pete's ex's TV programme is dropped while she's on holiday but, after a brief conversation, is also forgotten. Apparently the story is based on the writer's own break up from an actress, so maybe there's some kind of catharsis going on here, but that doesn't excuse a plot that is more merely a collection of incidents than a properly constructed narrative.

Jason Segel makes a likable leading man, although, like most of us, he looks immeasurably better in his clothes than out of them. He just about manages to get the audience on his side, even though his character would no doubt be something of a nightmare to live with and he would be lucky to maintain a meaningful relationship with a woman for five months let alone five years. Kristen Bell as his errant girlfriend looks yummy, but her character is poorly written. Is she a heartless cow, confused, or simply at the end of her tether? Whatever she is, the script treats her with something approaching contempt much of the time. Mila Kunis, as Segel's true love outshines Bell in every department (can she really be the voice of Meg in Family Guy?), but again her character lacks consistency. Russell Brand manages to be marginally less annoying then he normally is, which is probably the biggest compliment he'll ever receive from me.

This isn't a great film by any measure, but its popularity will probably prove enduring enough to ensure it's shown every other day on some second-tier satellite channel.

You forget Sarah because this movie drags on and on and on

Author: jamesmccormack from United States
20 February 2010

Maybe this movie would have worked with a better cast. Maybe this comedy would have worked if it has a sense of humor. As it stands, Foregetting Sarah Marshall is a totally forgettable film that will leave you wondering how it ever got made. It is kind of like several comic strips taped together to make a story.

Totally miscast is Jason Segel who makes a poor choice for a leading man. How did he get the part? Oh, he is the screenwriter. Why do we need to see him nude umpteenth times in film...and shots of his "johnson?" He is just not a comic. Jason is the weakest link of the movie just as he is on the TV show "How I Met Your Mother."

Very mildly amusing comedy, mainly vulgar and predictable.

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnaby.rudge@hotmail.co.uk) from Todmorden, England
23 November 2009

I felt like a Scrooge-like miser while watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Around me in the cinema, people were slapping their thigh and roaring with laughter and wiping tears of mirth from their eye. I wanted to join them, really I did…. but I just wasn't "feeling" it. The film amused me occasionally; frequently it didn't; and true laugh-out-loud moments could probably be counted on one hand. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a very similar experience to watching a Bo Derek movie called "10" – it's a little risqué and rude; it's aimed squarely at a specific target audience; and it's not as funny as everyone involved would like you to think. Ten or fifteen years from now, I think this film will be largely forgotten.

TV and movie score composer Peter Bretter (Jason Segal) is dumped by his hot girlfriend, TV actress Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell). He attempts a few relationships with other girls, but each time is more disastrous than the last. Eventually Peter is persuaded by his brother to go on vacation. He chooses Hawaii as there is a resort there which Sarah often spoke highly of. Upon arrival, Peter is shocked to discover that Sarah is taking a vacation there too with her new flame, narcissistic rocker Aldous Snow (Russell Brand). The situation looks like it's going to get out of hand until Peter befriends a pretty hotel receptionist named Rachel (Mila Kunis). Gradually he begins to develop feelings for Rachel and realises that there CAN be happiness after Sarah. He even reveals to Rachel his long-secret plan of creating a musical show based on Dracula, performed by a cast of puppets. But the course of true love is never smooth, and Peter suffers various calamities and misadventures before his fate in love is finally decided…

Perhaps the chief strength of Forgetting Sarah Marshall is that it is romantic comedy for guys AND girls. There is a certain raunchy, vulgar flavour to the proceedings which tries to tap in to the notion of a "male sense of humour". Anyone thinking they're about to watch a chick flick will quickly realise this is not so. The performances are broadly what you would expect – Segal is amusing, the girls are pretty but shallow, and Russell Brand basically plays himself. The Hawaiian locations provide a lush backdrop. There are flashes of male and female nudity, none of them particularly gratuitous but none of them all that necessary either. In the script department, the story proceeds in a fairly predictable manner, with clichéd characters and comic situations which could have been lifted from any TV sitcom. At 110 minutes (or 117 minutes if you're watching the extended version), the film is around ten or fifteen minutes longer than it ought to be, but it doesn't tax the patience to excessive levels. An easy, lazy watch overall… but not particularly worthy of the adulation that has been heaped upon it.

Forgettable Sarah

Author: commander_zero from Canada
12 September 2009

The reviews of this film were good, but not good enough to prevent me from waiting a year or so after its first appearance to rent it on DVD.

I should have waited until it hit Peachtree. What in the universe is happening to Hollywood comedy? Successful TV composer Peter is dumped by his live-in girlfriend, the even more successful TV actress Sarah Marshall. When the traumatized Peter goes to a Hawaiian resort to recover, he finds that Sarah is already there—worse yet, she is with her new boyfriend, the self-important rock star Aldous Snow.

This is where the film—up to this point not a bit funny—comes to a complete stop. Kind-hearted desk clerk Rachel—one sees this romance budding a mile away—takes pity on Peter and lets him have the hotel's best suite for free, enabling him to moon around after Sarah and her new love. Aldous, as it happens, isn't such a bad guy, but Peter resists all of his invitations to get to know him.

And there we sit. A half-hour into the film, there is an astonishing scene where Peter gets drunk in the hotel bar with the guy who plays Kenneth on "30 Rock" and a bartender who can name 200 local fish. Rachel enters. Next, Peter is playing piano by himself.

In these few minutes, all narrative stops. The film grinds to a halt. It is painful to watch, and in fact, the discerning viewer—by that I mean myself—at this point stops watching.

The how-to-write-a-great-screenplay teaching business is itself a multi-million dollar industry, but here we see deeply inept writing that has actually made it through what one assumes would be a rigorous vetting process to get to the screen. Although the critical reaction is equally amazing--how did this film get such good reviews?

Totally AWFUL

Author: Alison Hargreaves from United Kingdom
19 February 2011

The biggest load of C R A P that I've have seen for a long time.

No story line to speak of, terrible acting and the ghastly Russell Brand - all in all the lowest common denominator in film.... DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS ONE... EVER.....

If you want Rom Coms, there are far superior films out there - try Woody Allen films.

If you do decide to rent this abomination, prepare to be disappointed.. a lame waste of time with crude attempts at humour that fall flat on their faces.

There would be no spoilers for this film....

Absolutely hilarious

Author: uclacampusevents
9 April 2008

The movie is absolutely hilarious. I loved it. It met and exceeded by (very high) expectations. Jason Segall proved he can hold down a leading role and an extremely funny script. Part of the reason this movie is so funny are the "funny 'cause it's true" aspects of Peter's method of dealing with his breakup. Although the honeymooner's plot was a little unnecessary, everything else was great. All the characters were really funny and the dialogue and situations were hilarious. Definitely worth paying for to see in the theaters and watching it with everyone else around you busting out laughing as well is a worthy experience too.

At times, even crap seems to be fine.

Author: braddugg from India
19 September 2014

At times, even crap seems to be fine.

As my friend Raghuveer just said, "no film is a bad film if our faculties are laid to rest". This is not a bad film either, just that we have rest our faculties. I was reluctant halfway through the film to complete this, yet I did make it to the end, coz I just wanted to see a light hearted comedy after watching those big great films. Now, even this mind needs some rest and this film gave me the much needed respite.

In many terms, if I look at this from a critical perspective it is very average, be it dialogue acting or the whole theme of getting to a girlfriend, we saw this in When Harry Met Sally, and so many other films just that here, we have a different backdrop. Sarah is a TV actor and the guy Peter is trying hard to forgetting his ex girlfriend Sarah Marshall.

So most of things happen for our peace here, he gets a place to stay, falls in love with a different woman, and sticks on to her. And even before this, he tries one night stands. All is so easy in this guys life it seems. So that's how easily this movie was made and yet it was made likable. May be Hawaii, the backdrop of this movie was got me into it more than anything else. And this film displays may romantic traditions of Hawaii and I loved them.

Thanks guys, for making an average movie as this, coz at times, we need average stuff to find our self back. You helped me do that again. Giving you a 2/5 for the technical aspects which are certainly above average, just that I have seen such films so many.

Breaking up really IS hard to do...

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
9 October 2008

...and for Peter Bretter(Jason Segel,also the screenwriter),it proves to be something akin to a test of his spirit and willpower.

Much of the Judd Apatow stable of actors fills out the scenery and situations,the action mostly taking place on the scenic island of Oahu as the lonely,mopey hero of the film seems to be vainly trying to get over his ex of the title(Kristen Bell,tough to forget),a sexy but somewhat shallow and ultimately selfish TV actress and co-star of a CSI type drama. Of course,it only seems news to Peter that the tropical getaway he chooses to escape to was introduced to him BY the girl he's trying to forget,so his incidental bump-in(?!) with her,avec new boyfriend(Russell Brand,stealing this movie),a drippy,sleazy self-important British pop star. But just as his existential dilemma seems to be reaching critical bleakness,Peter trips into the lovely and mildly interested eyes of the pretty hotel desk clerk/concierge(Mila Kunis,completely 360 from her "That '70s Show" character).

As per any film from the Apatow company,there is more than plenty of indelicate relationship/sexual material. While the plot and character transformations take their own sweet time,it's still a mostly fun ride. Plenty of choice supporting players that include a truly repressed Christian newlywed couple(Jack McBrayer and Maira Thayer,fantastic!),a man-crushing Maitre-d(Jonah Hill making the best of a throwaway role)who aspires to be a star musician much like Brand's character,a bad-ass bartender,a low-key native party organizer and a surfer dude who's got permanent stupid(Paul Rudd in what is a hilarious somewhat inflated cameo).

NIcholas Stoller directs what could just as well be a "ghost directing" job for Mr.Apatow,as the wisecracks,naughty material and relationships seem to be grafted straight from such stuff as 40-year old Virgin or Knocked Up. A mildly painful watch for anyone who's been devastated by a break-up,this is still pleasantly raunchy, good-natured and not a waste of about two hours of time. Good fun!

Surprisingly funny

Author: Jesse Olson from Canada
12 April 2008

To be completely honest, I went into this movie expecting to thoroughly trash it as soon as I walked out. I thought it was destined to be another cheesy rom-com with a predictable ending and terrible acting. I was wrong. Little did I know, this was another Judd Apatow produced comedy, and almost everything he's touched over the past three years has turned into pure gold, including "The 40 Year Old Virgin", "Knocked Up" and "Superbad". "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is no exception.

Jason Segal of "How I Met your Mother" fame, stars as a lovable but lazy music composer for a CSI-esque television drama. After his famous girlfriend (Kristen Bell) dumps him, he decides to take a vacation to Hawaii to deal with it. Little does he know, that his ex-girlfriend is travelling to the same resort as him – with her new overly-flamboyant musician boyfriend in tow (Russell Brand.) Mila Kunis ("That 70's Show") plays a receptionist at the resort, and proves she can actually play a likable role. Kunis has great chemistry with Segal, and their budding relationship is surprisingly one of the highlights of the movie.

The script, which was also written by Segal, is consistently funny throughout, and really hones in on the hilarious one liners and awkward situational humor that seem to be the strength of most Apatow movies. Segal has definitely elevated himself into a solid comic lead. You can't help but feel bad for the guy as things gradually go from bad to worse for him. That said, Russell Brand, who plays eccentric musician Aldous Snow, steals every scene he's in. He plays a character in which the viewer is supposed to dislike, but it's virtually impossible. Everything he does, from his words, to his facial expressions, to his ridiculous body language, is hilarious.

Now I may only be high on this movie because I had exceptionally low expectations going in, but it's definitely a solid comedy from start to finish. With the exception of having to see Segal's junk at least six or seven times, it was a gem.