IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 32: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [Next]

Nothing That Hasn't Been Done Before

Author: Scars_Remain from United States
10 October 2008

The Apatow group has come out with another comedy. While there were entertaining jokes throughout, I felt that this was nothing new. Just another romantic comedy about finding "the one." But there is one difference with this film... Male nudity, great, like anyone needs that. It's not funny it's just vile. I must admit that I am a little shocked at the high rating of this movie. Maybe people will enjoy anything that the Apatow group comes out with.

The acting wasn't bad but I felt that some of the characters were a bit annoying and unnecessary. The story was typical, very typical for these kinds of films. As I said, there were definitely a good amount of funny moments but not enough, I believe, to save it from mediocrity.

See this film or don't see it. I really don't think it'll make much difference either way. Just my thought.

Predictable, Eclectic and Not Novel, But Still Pretty Enjoyable

Author: Subhamoy Sengupta from kolkata, India
22 August 2008

A fellow has written here that the only thing that stands out in this film is male nudity, which is not a plus, and the acceptability of this film depends on the viewer's tolerance to averageness. Well, I am not going to strongly oppose that or anything, and maybe to most, that is what the film amounts down to, but I find this film much more enjoyable that Good Luck Chuck, or Heartbreak Kid, or other similar films a film school student has categorized as "apato" in another comment here.

Things shown in this film are, as always, not theoretically impossible, but it just doesn't happen. There are things the drop dead gorgeous beauties could do, that would change the lives of many, which they do not, except in the movies. But of course, it is a movie, so what the heck! One of the things that make this film more enjoyable than most other similar films is the fact that the central character of this film is not a veteran in the industry of playing loony characters, like Ben Stiller is. So it does not take too much of patience or tolerance or hard work to make yourself believe that this guy Peter, who is trying to forget Sarah Marshall, can actually be a normal man from a normal society, who is just sucking at living right now, but he is not completely banged up in the head. When I watched "There is Something about Mary", I felt severely suffocated and awkward, because it was mostly not funny and none of the characters in the film did anything at all like an actual human would do! Abnormal or dysfunctional are not synonyms of funny. It should not be too hard to understand, but people often don't! So in an industry where "There is Something About Mary" has received complements like "Phenomenal!" or "A True Collectible!", Forgetting Sarah Marshall deserves at least some credit, in my opinion.

There is not much else to say. I recommend this film over most other mindless comedies made in Hollywood. Not that this one is something very special, but at least I, as a not-so-outdoorsy and not-so-cool-but-still-normal man, could relate to it, and understood it, and had a few good laughs, and also could relate to the sad moments of the film.

If you are sick of films like Good Luck Chuck or Heartbreak Kid, there is a fair chance that you may still like Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I know I did!

How much is it worth to beat a dead horse? This movie can provide an answer to that...

Author: dimmub-1 from Lithurgia
13 March 2009

I don't know who I hate more - the main character or the actor portraying him in this film... I mean how can you pull a movie like this when you have a douche for an actor who is incidentally cast for the main role??? It becomes really frustrating to see how this big, emotionless hunk of dull flesh is trying to act and how he fails to do that in almost every scene.

Not to mention jokes and scenes in this movie are overplayed and have become tasteless over the last decade...

I mean how can people give a movie like this so much credit bringing it on the same level with such great comedies as e.g. "Office Space". Think about it...

I'm giving this movie Rating "3" and not "1" just because of Kristen Bell who is truly hot and I would love to...

Forget Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Author: alr126 from United States
29 December 2008

I have start by stating that I don't think I saw the same movie as some of the other reviewers. I found the movie actually tedious to watch, there were a few chuckles in it, but, funny, no. I did enjoy Jason Segal in the film as well as Paul Rudd, both are good in just about whatever they do. As for Jonah Hill, well.........him I could do without in any movie. Another viewer stated that if you liked knocked-up and Superbad, then you would find this enjoyable, well, i found the other two films just as bad. This film would do well as a light drama about a man trying to forget a lost love, but, certainly not a comedy. All in all, I'm glad I only wasted $5.29 to rent the film instead of $9.00 to see it at the theater.

great movie

Author: TheRushmoreAcademy from United States
15 November 2008

i decided to watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall the other day.I've had already been wanting to see it for quite some time but never got around to it.I'm so happy that i did,this movie was great i felt really happy through the whole thing.I loved all the characters,all the actors,the setting,the story,everything.It's not as filthy as you may think,though there are a few scenes with some dirty content the rest of the movie was actually pretty tame,but that is just my opinion.If you saw Knocked Up or Superbad you will probably like this movie.No.it is not copying,it has its own story line with different vibes and emotions.I promise this movie will make you laugh,its not a waste of time or money and you will be glad you made the investment to see it.

A daily comment from Midget Emma: Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)

Author: (midget_emma101@hotmail.com) from Australia
18 October 2008

The Apatow production group have made many great comedies '40 Year Old Virgin', 'Knocked Up', 'Superbad' but none is as underrated as this. This is the funniest of all there movies.

I was laughing out loud every couple of minutes and even sometimes it was hard to breath it was so funny. I loved this more then there other movies.

The acting was great like always. Jonah Hill and Paul Rudd stole the show with there hilarious lines.

There were a few unnecessary scenes. I didn't expect to see Jason Segel's penis jump out at me.

I highly recommend it. If you liked there other work then you'll love this.

Forgetting Forgetting Sarah Marshall is easy

Author: Brian Wright from United States
15 October 2008

Full of high hopes, I set the DVD loose in the player and prepare for the best. Through the first scenes involving far too many seconds of gratuitous male nudity of the the main character Peter Bretter (Jason Segel)—isn't most male nudity in movies gratuitous?—we both stay the course thinking, "Well, it's certainly not going to continue in this vein." We've just seen the initiating breakup scene, where Sarah (Kristen Bell) arrives to Peter's apartment to give him the bad news, and he starts crying standing there and running around in the altogether. In the next few weeks Peter thrashes about having bouts of depression—personally I don't see getting all broken up over this little Superficial Sarah—and meaningless sex, which, again, doesn't have to be anywhere near that explicit to get the point across.

Indeed, if there's one main objection I want to make covering the entire film, it's that writer and/or director seem to want to make physically explicit every conceivable interaction among the characters—especially scenes that might otherwise be humorous in subtlety and implication. We don't get to have any imagination.

...

For my complete review of this movie and for other movie and book reviews, please visit my site TheCoffeeCoaster.com.

Brian Wright Copyright 2008

What a total waste!

Author: (kwfnewyork) from United States
13 October 2008

The only reason I don't give this a rating of 1 or 2 is because I really like Kristen Bell. I think her acting is great. Why she would waste her talent on this trash is beyond me. I also liked Mila Kunis and thought she was brilliant. I think Mila has a great future in movies as long as she avoids another script like this one. The rest of the cast and the movie in general was total trash. I do have to give props to Paul Rudd, he had the ONLY FUNNY LINES IN THE ENTIRE MOVIE!

I went into this really wanting to see a very funny romantic comedy. Every movie critic said things like "Funniest movie of the year", "Absolutely hilarious" etc. so I figured it must be really good. I was so disappointed I actually left angry. I wanted my money back.

To sum it all up...the movie was NOT FUNNY, the script was stupid and childish in nature, and at times I was wondering to myself, "When is this going to be over????"

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY ON THIS STUPID PIECE OF CRAP!!! Kristen Bell fans, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

Another great comedy

Author: hockeygiant97 from United States
1 June 2008

I had been looking forward to seeing this movie for a while however didn't get a chance to watch it till last night. I thought the movie was hilarious. Lots of funny parts so your pretty much laughing the entire movie. In my opinion the 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up were better but this one was still good. The only think I was upset about was how they didn't really establish Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) as the bad girl. When Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) breaks up with her and she wants to get back with Peter (Jason Segel) it was kind of like OK is this a good thing or a bad thing. Might be just me but I had mixed feelings about whether he should get back together with her or stay with Rachel (Mila Kunis). The thing that bothered me is when she talked about him "living on his couch" which got me to feel that it was his fault. I think they would have been better off leaving that part out. But overall I felt like it was a very good film and enjoyed it.

Much better than you would think.

Author: Robert Deschenes (ace_kalibur@hotmail.com) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 May 2008

After Knocked Up and The 40 Yr. Old Virgin, I was surprised to see Judd Apatow's newest film, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, maintain the same success as the earlier films. Try this as a surprise, Sarah Marshall is Judd's best film yet. There's far more comedy in this film than the previous efforts and the actors are perfectly suited for the film. Easily this is Jason Segel's best work and is the perfect vehicle for Russell Brand, whose Aldous Snow virtually stole the show and Mila Kunis, as this film was her best performance as of yet.

Although Aldous Snow stole the show, with some of the best one-liners ever, everyone in the movie you come to laugh at and enjoy. It was a pleasant surprise to see everyone have a happy ending and that the movie was actually really good! With Judd's recent effort, hopefully the way of the one-joke movie will finally die off and make way for entertaining comedies such as Forgetting Sarah Marshall.