IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Boring and mila kunis is super annoying.

Author: swtwendy1 from United States
15 September 2010

I thought this movie was really boring and monotoned. It was not funny at all. Mila Kunis was absolutely horrible at her acting. She was really annoying. Her voice was enough to drive someone nuts. I thought this movie had no plot what-so-ever. All there was that happened was lots of sobbing, lots of stalking, and idiocy. Garbage. It tried too hard to be funny. It was a complete waste of time. I thought that it made no sense at all. The ending was sloppy and random. it seem like they tried to rush the ending just to get it over with. I had no idea why and how he even got to send a letter to the girl! The beginning was super dull and showed no relationship value between peter or Sarah Marshall. The acting was super phony. I think that the only reason why it would have good reviews is because of all the excessive sexing and apparently Mila Kunis' tits.. which is not even a real picture of her.. its photo-shopped. so think before you even bother to watch this stupid movie.

I'll Soon be Forgetting Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.moviemoviesite.com
23 July 2010

It's no surprise that this film pretty much divides opinion between the young and not-so-young (according to the user ratings) and, to a lesser extent, between women and men. You'd expect it to be a chick flick rom-com (if you forgot that Judd Apatow was involved) but, with its irreverent gross-out comedy and stock of hot females, it's no wonder that it appeals to young men.

Jason Segel stars as Peter, a musician who finds himself dumped by his TV star girlfriend. On the advice of his slightly nerdy friend, Peter decides to fly to Hawaii to forget her, but guess what? She's only there! At the same hotel! Who'd have thought it? Unfortunately, she's there with the man she dumped Peter for, a hairy rock star played by the witless Russell Brand. This being a product of La-La land, it's absolutely impossible for either party to consider changing hotels, so the hapless Peter runs into his ex and her new man everywhere he goes. Luckily for him there's a luscious receptionist on hand to help soothe his pain…

The film's amiable enough, but it struggles to find many laughs in such a clichéd situation. Many scenes and situations seem to have been created for no apparent reason: a sub-plot involving a dorky pair of newlyweds goes nowhere and is abruptly dropped, leaving you to wonder why it was included in the first place; Pete's ex's TV programme is dropped while she's on holiday but, after a brief conversation, is also forgotten. Apparently the story is based on the writer's own break up from an actress, so maybe there's some kind of catharsis going on here, but that doesn't excuse a plot that is more merely a collection of incidents than a properly constructed narrative.

Jason Segel makes a likable leading man, although, like most of us, he looks immeasurably better in his clothes than out of them. He just about manages to get the audience on his side, even though his character would no doubt be something of a nightmare to live with and he would be lucky to maintain a meaningful relationship with a woman for five months let alone five years. Kristen Bell as his errant girlfriend looks yummy, but her character is poorly written. Is she a heartless cow, confused, or simply at the end of her tether? Whatever she is, the script treats her with something approaching contempt much of the time. Mila Kunis, as Segel's true love outshines Bell in every department (can she really be the voice of Meg in Family Guy?), but again her character lacks consistency. Russell Brand manages to be marginally less annoying then he normally is, which is probably the biggest compliment he'll ever receive from me.

This isn't a great film by any measure, but its popularity will probably prove enduring enough to ensure it's shown every other day on some second-tier satellite channel.

Maybe One or Two Laughs

Author: FakeIDs
31 August 2008

To be honest, I didn't think Forgetting Sarah Marshall was much better or worse than The Heartbreak Kid. I think I laughed during the pediatrician scene and one other part that I can't remember. The characters are just a collection of stereotypes...and they are not even up-to-date stereotypes! Surfers that have smoked themselves into a stupor are way eighties, dudes. I think Paul Rudd, whom I like, knew his character was just another variation of Spicoli and phones it in a little.

A weepy Emo rocker or even an angry white rapper would've been more contemporary than a sex-obsessed British rock star. You would have to go back decades to find a musical artist that even remotely resembles him. They even miss chances to poke fun at real-life personalities. Sarah Marshall could have been one of those boozy ingénues that flash their privates as they get out of limos.

Supporting characters are unnecessarily inserted into the story and eventually forgotten, but they don't even provide an excuse for a clever joke. There is a Christian couple on their honeymoon that are completely pointless and they lead to some of the worst gags in the movie. All you are left with is something that is going to potentially insult a large group of people and you didn't even get a single laugh out of it. Jonah Hill and his infatuation with the rock star goes nowhere and is not particularly funny. The other characters have become all-too-familiar in a romantic comedy. The too-good-to-be-true romantic interest. The henpecked husband and friend of the hero. Et cetera.

There was a stand-up comedian on the talk show circuit a few years back who would make a joke about how people will get tattoos of symbols in foreign languages that have no meaning, like the Japanese kanji for "water." They shoehorn the joke into the film by having it spoken by an airhead who is suddenly translating tattoos in other languages. Maybe Carlos Mencia contributed to the movie?

When Judd Apatow produced a good comedy show, "Freaks & Geeks," it was largely ignored by the public and was quickly canceled after one season. When he started appealing to the lowest common denominator, the same people were suddenly his biggest fans and praised him. You start to see why "That 70's Show" lasted 8 seasons and why "Two and a Half Men" is entering its sixth. Meanwhile, "Arrested Development" barely makes it to 3.

Almost every opportunity and set-up the movie has to do something clever, they take the easy and predictable route. I was actually surprised by how many of the jokes were just plain cheesy. The only thing you can say in defense of such a shallow movie is that it is comparatively better than Disaster Movie or Good Luck Chuck, but that should not impress anyone. You would almost have to be trying to make a worse comedy than those. It is like when people orgasm because gas prices fall a little, but they are still paying more than they should. People are becoming conditioned to bad comedy.

And, yes, there is a token ethnic guy.

Really waste of time

Author: WatchIsWasteOfTime from Stuttgart
19 January 2014

For starters, sorry for my English but I am not a native – but suffering by watching this movie made me to write a review. I have never seen such a boring film/story in my entire live. Don't want to blame the producers/director of the film – they made their money I assume, but it was really awful, even the attempts to slapstick were horrible. All characters are empty jars, it is all quite predictable. Well, thats not unusual in a romantic comedy, but here it is just way too much. In the beginning there is shown the genitals of the main character 3 times - or maybe a dummy of them, and you are asking yourself: why the h... is that necessary? Is that supposed to be funny? The story dabbles on and on, he is left by her, he is a real lame duck, anyhow he manages to get a lot of quite beautiful women in his bed trying to forget his ex with sex - what never works out and what in the meantime is common knowledge to every hillbilly. Nothing will help, so he is going on vacation at a resort in Hawaii - and nice coincidence - accidentally his ex-girlfriend is in the same resort with her really dummy of a rock star-boyfriend and on and on ... horrible. Rather not necessary to say that he stays all the time a real sissy. Strongly recommended - not.

Absolutely hilarious

Author: uclacampusevents
9 April 2008

The movie is absolutely hilarious. I loved it. It met and exceeded by (very high) expectations. Jason Segall proved he can hold down a leading role and an extremely funny script. Part of the reason this movie is so funny are the "funny 'cause it's true" aspects of Peter's method of dealing with his breakup. Although the honeymooner's plot was a little unnecessary, everything else was great. All the characters were really funny and the dialogue and situations were hilarious. Definitely worth paying for to see in the theaters and watching it with everyone else around you busting out laughing as well is a worthy experience too.

Surprisingly funny

Author: Jesse Olson from Canada
12 April 2008

To be completely honest, I went into this movie expecting to thoroughly trash it as soon as I walked out. I thought it was destined to be another cheesy rom-com with a predictable ending and terrible acting. I was wrong. Little did I know, this was another Judd Apatow produced comedy, and almost everything he's touched over the past three years has turned into pure gold, including "The 40 Year Old Virgin", "Knocked Up" and "Superbad". "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is no exception.

Jason Segal of "How I Met your Mother" fame, stars as a lovable but lazy music composer for a CSI-esque television drama. After his famous girlfriend (Kristen Bell) dumps him, he decides to take a vacation to Hawaii to deal with it. Little does he know, that his ex-girlfriend is travelling to the same resort as him – with her new overly-flamboyant musician boyfriend in tow (Russell Brand.) Mila Kunis ("That 70's Show") plays a receptionist at the resort, and proves she can actually play a likable role. Kunis has great chemistry with Segal, and their budding relationship is surprisingly one of the highlights of the movie.

The script, which was also written by Segal, is consistently funny throughout, and really hones in on the hilarious one liners and awkward situational humor that seem to be the strength of most Apatow movies. Segal has definitely elevated himself into a solid comic lead. You can't help but feel bad for the guy as things gradually go from bad to worse for him. That said, Russell Brand, who plays eccentric musician Aldous Snow, steals every scene he's in. He plays a character in which the viewer is supposed to dislike, but it's virtually impossible. Everything he does, from his words, to his facial expressions, to his ridiculous body language, is hilarious.

Now I may only be high on this movie because I had exceptionally low expectations going in, but it's definitely a solid comedy from start to finish. With the exception of having to see Segal's junk at least six or seven times, it was a gem.

"Loose yourself in F^($"

Author: vram22 from United States
8 May 2009

As wild as that line is, it's hilarious when you hear it delivered in this movie. It's one of number of memorable moments that you'll get from watching this comedic gem.

Basically, the movie is about a fellow who gets dumped by his TV-actress girlfriend. When he goes to a Hawaiian resort to forget about her, he learns that that's where she and her new rock-star boyfriend are staying - and he keeps bumping into them!

It's a pretty standard-sounding storyline, but the movie has plenty of gags and engaging moments to keep one interested. The fast pace makes it easy to stay interested. The movie is a bit edgy - so keep that in mind (case in point: there are some extended scenes with full male nudity of the lead, Jason Segel).

All an all, this movie was very well done. Not only are there are a number of laugh-out-loud moments, but you'll get interested in the story as well. Definitely worth a watch if you're in the mood for a comedy.

Far better than expected

Author: imdb_rater from Germany
4 July 2012

I expected this would be another shallow chick flick with recycled jokes and two-dimensional characters. Luckily this movie far exceeded my expectations. It is a funny, fairly original comedy with a decent amount of character development. It especially surprised me how both Sarah and her new boy-friend are portrayed not simply as self-absorbed jerks. In the course of the movie you will probably find Aldous a weird but likable guy, whilst you will understand why Peter's and Sarah's relationship failed. The flashbacks of their relationship are very entertaining because it will certainly remind you of a relationship you or your friends had (or have). Overall, the casting department did a really good job and each of the characters got some good laughs on their side. Jonah Hill's role was a bit superfluous in my opinion, whilst Jack McBrayer really cracked me up by playing just another version of his role in '30 Rock'. Russel Brand's character was my favourite, very well written and played. There are a few sex scenes and vulgar jokes, but they come in small doses such that it won't put people off who do not appreciate this kind of humour. Go watch this for some light and not too brainless entertainment!

No laughs but a good film

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
16 March 2010

I am very puzzled by this film and my reaction to it.

It's a comedy. Look, it says so on the DVD box. Lots of people say it's funny. And it's true that there was a bit I laughed at.

But generally speaking, a large part of the movie is devoted to telling the story of a man who is experiencing a great deal of difficulty in dealing with the destructive feelings he is suffering following the breakup of a relationship. Much of the way this is dealt with is actually very truthful and was not, to me, very funny.

But I did enjoy it quite a lot as a drama with humour. The four individuals forming the two couples are all well drawn characters: each has a ring of truth, with strengths and weaknesses, likable traits as well as negative elements. On that basis I recommend it.

But a comedy it ain't. Not in my book at any rate.

Puppets

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
3 August 2009

This has jokes that often work. It has a genuine pathos that is surprisingly rare and is now the trademark of Apatow productions.

It has Hawaii and two women, one pretty the other a beauty. It has a deftly comic foil in the "other boyfriend." It has some frontal male nudity that probably should be commended simply because its avoidance is ridiculous. Here, in fact, we have it twice and though it is meant to punch up those scenes, I found that it actually was dramatically integrated.

But because I am a narrative folding nut, I'll point out the three inner performance folds. The girlfriend is a TeeVee star on a show for which our hero writes music. Her inner role reflects on her outer one.

The other boyfriend is a British rock star, whose onstage persona is mirrored in his character in the film. And the thing ends with the hero's play within the play. In this case it is an extremely clever musical comedy derived from Dracula and performed by a mix of puppets, humans in costume and the participating puppetmasters. It is really quite wonderful by itself and after the story ends, it is clear how the whole project grew out of it. The integration of the idea of a love that "smothers" is brilliant.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.

Page 2 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]