IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 32: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Karma gets back to you! In a funny and sexual manner.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
24 January 2010

I had regular expectations before watching this. I ended up having a very good time. I laughed, I felt related to the plot, and I wanted to listen more from the Dracula rock-opera.

The humor is pretty good. I does offer some creative dialogs, but sexual references carry on this one pretty well.

The chemistry between the four main characters is something to notice and that's because the main actors are really good. Heck, I didn't like Russell Brand but I have to admit he was really funny. Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis apart from being extremely hot (those bikinis...) were funny and charming.

The production values are very good. Dynamic, bright, colorful (nice Hawaiian settings). Those terms should better describe the movie.

The ending should leave the audience satisfied. Specially guys.

This is one of the better comedies that deal with romance, at least in the last decade.

Could have been much better

Author: mavas from Haarlem, Netherlands
12 July 2009

Watching this movie the other night, I was standing on two sides.

On the first side, the story is extremely predictable: Girl (Sarah, played by Kristen Bell) breaks up with boy (Peter, played by Peter Segel), boy decides to run away from his pain by going on a trip, boy meets another girl (Rachel, played by the adorable Mila Kunis), they hang out a lot, boy falls in love with girl, boy makes a mistake with his ex-girlfriend, new girl doesn't want to see boy anymore, but in the end they finally come together. This is on one hand a lame and predictable story, I saw the break up with Rachel coming from far and also the moment that they are coming together again.

On the other hand, I have seen very interesting things in the movie that makes it an above-normal comedy. The movie develops to an excellent story, and even made me think off great movies like "Before Sunset", "Garden State" and "Definitely, Maybe" that have the same atmosphere. There is a scene in which Peter has been forced by Rachel to play the piano, and that scene makes you want to express yourself and show your talent to everyone, which I have only seen in a couple of movies to this date. Rachel makes you smile and makes you want to live and get out everything life has to offer.

There are more scenes in which the movie stands above the normal comedy and where you think "wow, this dialog is very clever and smart". There is a scene in which Peter apologize to Rachel about what has happened in the bedroom with Sarah, where the dialog is very clever, and you are hoping that Rachel accepts his apologize. But sadly, at the end of this dialog, the movie falls back into the cheap predictable romance story it was starting with, and loses all his credits. This was such a bummer for me, and watching the end credits it left me with the feeling "why in earth have they done this!" I was very disappointed that the story was ruined by these last scenes which could have made Forgetting Sarah Marshall unforgettable and one of the best movies I have seen in years.

Could have been much better. 7/10

A reasonably amusing romantic comedy

Author: smatysia (feldene@comcast.net) from Houston
8 June 2009

I found this to be a reasonably amusing romantic comedy. Jason Segel's comedic oeuvre seems to be finding himself in utterly humiliating situations, and proceeding through with that hangdog expression, and that's what he does here. Some of the stuff works better than others, like his self-abnegating song, and the Dracula puppet musical. Others, not so much. Russel Brand as the totally self-absorbed rock star was pretty funny, too. Kristen Bell looked good, and did her not-terribly-likable role pretty well. The show-stealing was done by Mila Kunis, with whom I am not familiar. Her fresh prettiness was perfect for her role, which she nailed. Overall it was an OK film, not great, but pretty decent.

Finding Rachel Janson

Author: Parag Adhikari from Nepal
15 May 2009

Who's Sarah Marshall?, the movie should be called finding Rachel janson, just kidding guys this movie is hilarious and you guys wouldn't believe that i watched movie the day after watched nick and Norah's infinite play list (similar movie). Even the later ones better, this movie will worth your every penny. i am guy and to be honest there were few seconds in the movie where you wished that you never downloaded the movie anyway for all you girls just don't miss this movie you'll know what i mean. Rachel janson should be on the title of the movie if Sarah Marshall is not a immutable word, still kidding,i am trying to be funny you guys should have noticed that if you don't anyway don't bother this my first comment about any movie ever. just wanna say watch the movie its not you life altering experience but great time killer. WATCH IT!

has the plot of a date movie, but the raunchiness of American Pie

Author: MLDinTN from TN
9 March 2009

I thought this movie was pretty funny. And it's ONLY for adults. Some of the language and visuals( like full male nudity and various sex positions) make this a far cry from a date movie. However, the story says different.

TV star Sarah Marshall breaks up with her 5 year boyfriend Peter. He gets really down in the dumps over it. At first he tries to tag any girl he can but is still depressed. So, he decides a vacation to Hawaii is best. He picks a hotel that Sarah often talked about. And as luck would have it, Sarah is there on holiday with her new boyfriend, British singer Aldous Snow. Peter decides to stay anyways, and front desk clerk, Rachel, helps him out by letting him stay in the best suite for free.

Peter begins to like Rachel and they go out several times. He also keeps running into Sarah and Aldous, and they try to act like it is not as awkward as it is. Aldous is like most stero typical rockers, he's all about the chicks. So, it doesn't take him very long to get bored with Sarah. He's very polite and wants to be Peter's friend.

So do things work out with Peter and Rachel? How many women does Aldous bag? Or how about does the naive honeymoon couple finally figure things out?

FINAL VERDICT: One of the funnier movies that's been released in the past year. As long as you aren't a prude, then you should enjoy this one.

Among family is better

Author: jpschapira from Argentina
3 March 2009

The Judd Apatow produced "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is one of the latest examples of a comedy form in American cinema that hopefully still has some things to show us. It's also a movie made in family, in which you feel everyone had a really good time and worked really hard so you could laugh out loud; and don't forget, the work of people that have respect for each other and their talents.

Some time ago, the humble Apatow directed a script co-written by him and Steve Carell; "The 40 Year Old Virgin", and gave Carell the lead role. He had already worked with him in "Anchorman", which is not another story because both movies share, among other things, cast members. Then came "Knocked Up", an opportunity for Seth Rogen to steal the show; then Rogen wrote the script of "Superbad" and was also part of the cast; then Jason Segel (just Jason in "Knocked Up") wrote a script, which ended up in the film I'm reviewing, directed by another writer, Nicholas Stoller.

Essentially, everything here is about the script. What the script requires, the movie will deliver. After we meet Peter (Segel), naked, being dumped by the super famous Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell) and we hear him cry, we also want what his stepbrother Brian (Bill Hader, from "Superbad"-and "Knocked Up"-) recommends for him: a vacation.

In Hawaii everything looks more colorful, and I don't know if Segel knows much about the culture and the people there, but the way the script puts it, the beach and the hotel where Peter ends up seem to be paradise; specially when a beautiful woman (Mila Kunis) salutes you at the reception. But is it paradise if your ex-girlfriend is staying there with her new guy (a British rockstar wonderfully overplayed by Russel Brand)? I don't need to tell you how funny this movie is because you should know already for the people who made it, although I'll tell you how they admirably work to make it funny. They save us discussions and dialogs about the couple breaking up by going directly to the point; they provide us a vacation with plenty of characters to meet and supply each one of them with a killer line that is not repeated later (smartly, thankfully) for a greater effect-there's only character played by Jack McBrayer that has an inevitably continued joke-; they even make sure we know some of the people we meet (Paul Rudd and Jonah Hill get us an instant smile when we meet them and we feel that we are safe among friends).

Segel's screenplay is hard work, developing one character that shares the 'Apatow sindrome' (not to good looking but scoring a strikingly good-looking girl, not getting out of home, few friends, tenderly-or not-addicted to sex) but somehow strikes as different. Segel's writing and his performance make us see a sensitive and committed guy in the way Peter speaks but don't forget to show us the flashbacks of a relationship that most of the time made him look stupid (anything for the sake of a good laugh). The script also dominates the shape of the modern romantic comedy, with its typical structure, adding some elegant personal touches that are all of Segel's merit.

The film is not better than others like "Knocked Up" because in the whole development of Peter, the movie forgets about the rest of the characters and loses a bit of the Apatow humanity. The women are not fully developed (in fact, the Sarah Marshall of the title seems like a heartless doll, which is in part the point) and there's a lot of the friendship factor, values and talks missing.

It's all good though, because the honesty is still there, and because the movie runs too long again and we don't complain (thank you Jason Bateman there in the credits). We just keep laughing.

surprise

Author: vito7 from United States
16 November 2008

I'm not exactly sure what I liked about this movie but I did. It was really one of those romantic comedies that I would usually complain didn't have enough laugh out-loud moments to keep me into it, and I can certainly say I've come to expect more from this writer but there was enough chemistry from the actors and enough quirky little moments that I came away happy with my viewing. It's been weeks now and I still find myself singing the Dracula song to my wife in a thick Transylvanian accent and it still gets a warm reception. I was also surprised to so easily accept "That 70's Show's 'Jackie" on the big screen but she handled her role like a pro and I'm guessing my already established history with the actress had me a little more emotionally vested in her relationship than the script actually earned. Regardless of the personal mystery I came away pleased and have to say it's a pretty decent movie. Even that British fellow I had already decided I hated after the MTV awards partially won me over in this one. My only other real critique is the story seemed to think it made us really hate Sarah Marshall when they had actually gave us some room to see where she was coming from. You might want to save it for a rainy day but it's worth a watch.

Logan Lamech www.eloquentbooks.com/LingeringPoets.html

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)-review

Author: liamzdaman2 from United Kingdom
10 November 2008

This kind of film is by no means my kind of film and I was not really expecting a great deal from it considering that it was "from the guys who brought you The 40 year-old virgin". However it has to be said that this is a very funny film it did genuinely make my laugh out loud on more than one occasion and has a semi original story line.

The acting is not exactly the highest order but there are many funny performances in this film. At first I was critical of Russel Brand for doing this film as it seemed to me he was putting his wallet before his reputation and back bone so to speak but he is without a doubt a very funny man and this is evident in the film itself. He provides many laugh out loud moments as he is basically playing himself so his trade mark humour shines through. Jason Segel provides a good main character and is not to short in the laughs department also. Jonah Hill plays a hotel clerk with an unhealthy obsession with Brand's rock star character and is almost as funny Brand but is only playing a minor character.Bill Hader and Paul Rudd are also very funny in their respective roles.

It must be said that the story is not really anything new when it comes right down to it and at times the story and event are very predictable but that does not take away from the film on the whole.

very funny but with its faults like any other film of this genre 7 out of 10

Five minutes in, and I wanted to strangle the lead actor

Author: Sjhm from United Kingdom
26 September 2012

And then the writer. Yes. People have relationships and occasionally those relationships break up. This is allegedly based upon the writer's own experiences of his break ups with various girlfriends. Our main protagonist is clingy, whiny, needy, desperate and cries a lot. A LOT. We get it, he's upset that his girlfriend broke up with him. Instead of moping for a while and then picking himself up and getting on with it, our protag drags about dripping like Chinese Water Torture.

So having established himself as possibly the most irritating character in the history of the written word, we are supposed to go on his self-indulgent journey with him as he travels to Hawaii to forget his troubles. Where, naturally, he runs into his ex-girlfriend and her new man. New man is the antithesis of our drippy protag. He's brash, hard and flashy. Normally, I would be rooting for him to get his comeuppance. In this instance, I'm hoping that irritating new boyfriend triumphs.

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is very funny, and with actual, real characters

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
15 October 2010

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is the low-end, crass comedy that we have come to expect from Judd Apatow and company. This one is written by Jason Segal and it's hilarious. The comedy is crude, vulgar and rude, but that doesn't really lessen the quality of the film because it's so well written.

The film gives us real, three-dimensional characters whom we can all relate to and learn from as we laugh at them for two straight hours. Segal is Peter a struggling musician who is trying to get over the heartbreak caused by Sarah Marshall, the famous actress. And we can all relate to the pain and humour of Peter watching her with famous singer Aldous Snow (Russell Brand).

There are a lot of comedic actors, and they can all make you laugh. "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" is very funny, male-centric comedic romance that is pure comedy, with actual characters as an added bonus. I recommend it.