IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 33: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Another fantastic Apatow Comedy

Author: FilmFanInTheHouse from Berkshire, England
30 March 2009

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008, Dir. Nicholas Stoller)

When Sarah Marshall (Bell) dumps aspiring musician Peter Bretter (Segel) for rock star Aldous Snow (Brand), Peter's world comes crashing down. His best friend suggests that Peter should get away from everything and to fly off to Hawaii to escape all his problems. After arriving in Hawaii and meeting the beautiful Rachel Jansen (Kunis), Peter is shocked to see not only Aldous Snow in Hawaii, but also Sarah Marshall.

Jason Segel shines in another fantastic Apatow comedy. The usual gang is here with Bill Hader and Jonah Hill giving great performances. None Apatow regulars who fit right into characters include Mila Kunis and Russell Brand and is hilarious yet emotionally touching tale.

You've got that magic newlywed dust all over you. – Rachel Jensen (Mila Kunis)

Laughed my a** off

Author: ryan_mac001 from United States
3 March 2009

Im not sure why people don't find this movie great.... maybe its just my type of humor! It runs right up there with Superbad on comedy. There might be a bunch of immature jokes but those are the funniest parts of the movie. I literally have all the lines of the movie memorized and still laugh each and every time i watch it. Jonah Hill is the next Rodney Dangerfield(everything he says is great) This is the first movie I've seen Jason Segal has been the main character and i think he was great! Both the girls are gorgeous good actors and you wont be disappointed to see it! I went to go see it in theaters and ended up watching it like 3 more times that week. Bought it right when it came out

Segel can do better!

Author: sebkom
7 February 2009

Now, this vote was a tricky one:

If it was someone else's work, I'd give it a 8. I think Segel can do much much better, as a director of course, his acting was quite enjoyable. Since it's Segel work, I was about to give it a 6. But then, with Mila Kunis on it, it deserves at least a 7, doesn't it? What about Russel Brand?

The scenario is interesting, the acting are satisfying and everything goes well. Until the movie ends, leaving you with a "Wait, I was hoping that this was just a build up for the really funny moments of the movie" feeling.

A movie that hits close to home... But in a good way.

Author: solidgameboy12-1 from Troy, Montana
7 February 2009

Before I start this review, I want to tell a brief story. When I was 13, I got into a relationship with a wonderful girl, who just so happened to be my first girlfriend. We went through high school together, until the 4th of July 2008, I presented her with an engagement ring. I don't think I had a single doubt in my mind at that moment. Before the Christmas of 2008, we broke up, having been in a 5 year relationship. As of this review, I am 18 and still trying to get over what I thought would have been a great relationship. I tell this story not to be a downer; I tell it because it helped me understand the character in the movie so much more than I ever would have.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a brilliant comedy created by the Apatow team and written by Jason Segel, who plays the lovable Peter Bretter in the movie. Peter is in a relationship with the beautiful Sarah Marshall, played very well by Kristin Bell. Sarah Marshall is a famous actress on a hit TV show and Peter, her boyfriend, composes the music for the show. Peter's life is going swimmingly up until Sarah breaks up with him.

Peter, torn up by the relationship that should have been, gets told by his step brother, played by the very funny Bill Hader, that he should go out dating, and when that goes sour, go and relax somewhere nice. Peter goes to Hawaii to forget all about Sarah, but runs into her... and her new fling, famous British rock star Aldous Snow, played by the very rock star looking Russell Brand. Peter isn't adjusting much better, but a lovely hotel clerk, played by "That 70's Show"'s Mila Kunis tries to help him adjust to a relationship he goes he can get out of.

I will admit, when I saw this movie in previews, I was skeptical, but the movie was earning rave reviews, and I had planned to watch it at sometime. Now that I am single, I feel like this movie spoke more to me than what it could have done if I was still in a relationship. The moments with Peter's sadness was probably done for humor; I honestly felt myself laugh for a few seconds, then literally go "Aw" right after all of that. I honestly felt like Peter up until I saw this movie.

That's what makes Apatow's comedy better than any National Lampoon sex comedy out on the market, it's made with real people in mind. Peter isn't sex crazed, he's just trying to get over a relationship, and he's surrounded by people that are kind and real. There are cynics and skeptics who will probably argue that no one should have acted as mopey as Peter did, and he should have sucked it up. They haven't been in a relationship for a really long time, I would imagine.

I liked this movie because it had heart and soul. There are very few movies that can make you laugh and feel sad almost at the same time, and with this movie, I nearly felt all the emotions of the emotional spectrum. This is a great movie, for romance lovers, for rocky relationships, for couples (be aware there are some naughty bits in there) or for people who want to laugh at people that are as real as you and me.

I give this movie a 9/10.

Not Bad. Not Brilliant

Author: paudie from Ireland
6 February 2009

Want to see a film with some gratuitous (male) full frontal nudity? Then this is the one for you so.

Overall this is pretty lightweight stuff but it does have a few good lines and scenes.The story is pretty simple. Guy is heartbroken after longterm girlfriend dumps him for rockstar. He goes on holiday and ends up in the same resort as the girlfriend. Hilarious high jinks ensue as he decides between heartbreaker and gorgeous cool receptionist at the hotel who happens to take a shine to him.

Good performances from all the leads, even Russell Brand. Bell and Kunis are indeed easy on the eye.

A good few laughs but it lags a bit towards the end.

Good Laughs

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
2 December 2008

Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008)

*** (out of 4)

A music composer (Jason Segel) gets dumped by his actress girlfriend (Kristen Bell) so he heads to Hawaii to get away from his heartbreak but runs into more when he bumps into the ex there with her new lover (Russell Brand). His tears start flowing even more but that all changes when he meets a young woman (Mila Kunis) who works at the hotel he's staying at. This is another good entry in the recent trend of "gross out" comedies but it's certainly not in the same league as The 40 Year Old Virgin or Knocked Up. I think both of those films did a great job at mixing the laughs with the more heart felt moments but I was a little surprised that this film wasn't funnier. That's not to say there aren't any laughs here because there are a lot but just not enough to justify the long running time. I watched the extended cut, which runs 118-minutes and I must admit that I think the faults of this film are in its running time, which is just way too long. Many of the jokes just keep getting repeated and while they're funny the first time they're aren't the fifth time. The non-stop crying jokes are one example as are the countless shots of Segel's penis. What really keeps the film moving are the very good performances from the entire cast with Kunis stealing the show. Segel makes for a good lead, although I think a stronger one would have suited the film better. The actor does a good job at making us care for him and he handles the comedy very well. I thought Brand's character was a tad bit poorly written with his "peaceful" attitude towards women and sex. Bell is very good in her part as Sarah Marshall but this film belongs to Kunis. I believe this was the first time I had seen her and she certainly has the charm and charisma that really jumps off the screen.

Apatow delivers...again...

Author: Varun B. (varundelpiero@hotmail.com) from Trinidad and Tobago
1 December 2008

I am no fan of typical romance movies. I am no fan of cheesy comedy movies. And I fully despise the traditional romantic comedy. Yet, the Judd Apatow company has succeeded for the third time (following the THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN and KNOCKED UP) in getting me to appreciate a romantic comedy. But let's be frank here: calling FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL a typical romantic comedy is doing it a great disservice. Apatow has specialised in merging the male raunchy comedy with the female romantic comedy to create something that is quite watchable, by all audiences.

The story is a rather good one, following the fortunes and misfortunes of a man trying to get over a break-up after a nearly 6 year relationship. While the story is pleasant overall, there are moments that feel rather cheesy, tacky, and over-done or superfluous. Surprisingly that does little to take away from the film. The acting is rather top-notch, as Jason Segel (who also helped pen the screenplay, and is a name to watch for in the future) does a brilliant job of portraying the 'lovable loser' protagonist. Mila Kunis was the standout for me, not only because she was easy on the eyes, but she demonstrated a comedic range and timing befitting of her character. Kirsten Bell is also quite good, as is Russell Brand, who infuses his own brand of humour into this vehicle. The supporting cast is also decent, and there are no discernible weak links. Kudos to Paul Rudd, who has to be one of the most dependable, yet under-appreciated comedic actors today.

The main selling point of this film is its humour. Where typical male comedies go to great lengths to be vulgar and derisive, FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL takes the higher, less disgusting, less raunchy road. That's not to say there's not much for guys to laugh at, as I found that this film was quite hilarious. The other big selling point was the romance, and Apatow made sure that the romantic elements in this movie felt real, and not overly cheesy. The balance between the romantic aspects and the raunchy aspects was almost perfect.

For the third time in a row, the Apatow gang has made me appreciate a 'romantic comedy'. If that's not genius, I don't know what is. 8/10. 3 stars. Will garner a spot on my 'Honourable Mentions' list. Recommended.

how can people dislike this?

Author: (tottenhamtillidie@gmail.com) from sacramento, ca
30 November 2008

again i'm mystified by many IMDb reviewers who hated this movie, if you have any sort of a funny bone and you have been in and out of a relationship in your life, you will love this film. People are crowing about apatow this apatow that, but he was only a producer here,great credit must go to director stoller and writer/actor segel for creating an adult romantic comedy thats big on laughs but has an engaging story too. I hadn't seen much of segel or his dong before but it was easy to sympathise with his character and while I loathe schmaltzy, happy endings it was acceptable here. Along the way,kristin bell and mila kunis provided great eye candy as his love interests and in the "how hot am I stakes" but russel brand as he has a habit of doing with his sardonic deadpan humour was the stand-out for me, it sounds like "get him to the Greek"will have him in more of a central role with the same writers as here so I'm very much looking forward to seeing that one. If there was a slight disappointment, it was jonah hill who has regressed since superbad, i can see him relegated to be doing stand-up in a few years. Gratuitous sex is never funny but well played, OTT scenes are and thats in abundance here, its not a riotous comedy but it'll leave you with a big smile on your face.

Nice heart warming romantic comedy

Author: Ajo Paul from India
8 October 2008

As I summarized in the title, this one is a nicely directed and acted movie. The characters are given enough time and focus and they grow on you and you start recognizing them as one of us. Peter is this not so smart but extra sensitive lover of a popular TV star. Sarah is the one who walks out of his life. But circumstances prevail and they end up seeing each other almost every moment. The plot gets interesting and thicker and the proceedings keeps you guessing if they will get back together again. A good weekend afternoon watch. A word of caution there is quite amount of female as well as male nudity. The funny moments are present here and there and it does bring a smile on you, if not a loud laughter.

Another funny Apatow movie

Author: jts0405 from United States
5 October 2008

First and foremost the main reason I went to see this was because it was a movie made by the Apatow group. I thought that it would be a nice breath of fresh air to see Jason Segal as the main star, because we normally see Seth Rogen leading in the Apatow movies. I expected a funny movie because previous movies such as The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Kncocked Up and Superbad were hilarious. This movie does fit into the caliber that those movies did, but it wasn't as great as they were. I was still pleasantly surprised with this movie, but it wasn't the greatest comedy I have ever seen. So to all of the Apatow fans, this will be worth checking out.