IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 33: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Heartwarming and Hilarious,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
18 April 2013

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a brilliant movie with a lovely story line and a great cast,not to mention plenty of laugh out loud scenes.The whole movie is a delight from start to finish,with a great script and largely inspired performance from Jason Segel,I also really enjoyed Mila Kunis,Russel Brand,Jonah Hill and Paul Rudd,he doesn't have a huge role but every part he is in is hilarious,like he always is.I found some of the songs stuck in my head after watching this movie,which I didn't expect,especially 'Inside Of You' and the Dracula song.

Peter Bretter (Jason Segel) heads to Hawaii to forget about his recent break up with Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell),but she ends up being at the same hotel with her new boyfriend Aldous Snow (Russel Brand).

Cheesy romantic comedy.

Author: gabrielrenom from United Kingdom
26 February 2012

Oh well, this is one of these movies, you watch and when it finishes you think, "I can't believe I have wasted 2 hours in my life on this". It is a dull comedy, and to be honest the only good actor here is Russell Brand, what is actually a comedian. His English-Approach the only thing can be saved from here. It is nice to see Mila Kunis, but her acting is poor... Paul Rudd, the stoned surfer is really good as well. Apart of that, the rest of the movie could be binned. I can't understand how this movie can reach so many good critics, I must be missing something. Kristen Bell as acctres is just bad, one of her worst performance ever.

Unfunny people

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
15 December 2011

There is some clever stuff in this, brought down by uninspired attempts at comedy. So if it's just laughs that you're looking for, they're all rehashed here with familiar faces to deliver them, better reach for Superbad again or the recent Bridesmaids.

But the film deserves a few words on the structure, it's an excellent design. The protagonist is a guy who's been living beneath the image of his girlfriend, a TV actress for a CSI-type show. He is comfortable that way, as we learn it's the only thing that makes him get up from the couch and clean up his place, preserve some semblance of order. His job is to score the episodes for the show, he does this by literally working on the synthesizer beneath her giant projected image. She dumbs him, he tears the image in a fit of frenzy. Slinks depressed again back into the couch.

He gets up from the couch for a trip to Hawaii, once more something he has picked up from his girlfriend. There he learns how to pick himself up again, on a surf board, or up in front of an audience to play the piano. His dream, sidetracked by slovenly routine and a passionless job, is to orchestrate a rock opera about Dracula, a man who was doomed to love eternally in his head.

It's meant to be a dark, emotional piece, yet playing one of the songs for an audience of disinterested tourists, it elicits hearty laughs. Turns out that what he was writing all this time, funneling his own important self into the thing, was after all a comedy and not a drama. So the circumstances around him open up the self-pitying work into selfless entertainment.

Eventually he stages his vision, we can tell this much early on, and it's an uproar. It's an opera with muppets, with himself in control of the protagonist. He plays his own strings, finds a love that does not merely give him a reason to get up from the couch but inspires creative passion out of him.

For all intents and purposes, it's really potent stuff the way it's structured. One of the best for the year, as far as layering a lesson about the mechanisms that control life within a fiction that is transformed with that life is concerned.

So I doubly lament that it's an Apatow production, a middling one at that. Paul Rudd plays the goofy stoner surfer. Jonah Hill plays the bumbling waiter with aspirations of a music career. It's miserable stuff I tell you, every attempt at a laugh. Our entry in Hawaii is completely touristy, the shiny plastic of a postcard, like the real place I suppose has turned by now, one big holiday resort for people who can afford it.

Which is all highly ironic, given how the whole thing is not meant to be a drama. But we don't make the discovery with the protagonist for this to matter deeply, it's a dumb comedy from the get go. If you're patient enough or don't mind, you can watch just so you can imagine a better film out of it.

Lost love and devastation.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
24 May 2011

Actor Jason Segel writes and Nick Stoller directs. Segel plays Peter Bretter, a young musician that has a hard time facing the fact that his TV star girlfriend Sarah Marshall(Kirsten Bell)for the past six years has dumped him. Peter falls completely apart; devastation hurts like the end of the world. In his desperation, Peter gets himself together enough to set out to vacation at a lavish resort on Oahu. Oops! Guess who else is there? Sarah has already approached a new life style with her new guy...Aldous Snow(Russell Brand), front man of a British rock band. Peter's broken heart now has been stomped on. But trying to turn the lonesome loser's life around is a flirtatious resort employee named Rachel played by the beautiful Mila Kunis.

Segel's character is just pathetic. Brand of course is a scene stealer; crude and funny. The adorable Kunis puts Bell to shame. In support are Bill Hader, Paul Rudd and Jonah Hill, who is nothing but annoying. FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL proves that misery loves company; and if you are not in the right frame of mind this movie is just a drag. Wait...did I say Mila Kunis is beautiful?

Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I will not be!

Author: nanigurl96 from Northern Mariana Islands
1 September 2010

I'd only heard of this film after watching 'I Love You, Man.' I googled the cast, and then turned my attention to Jason Segel. Realizing I had never heard of Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I researched it, only to find so many of my favorite actors! Kristen Bell, Russell Brand, Jonah Hill AND Mila Kunis all together?? I then rented the DVD and discovered that Forgetting Sarah Marshall is of the same genre as I Love You, Man, and Segel does the same quality of acting. I liked that he was able to get his life back on track, and find a love interest along the way. I was also happy to see that Sarah(played by Bell) got her comeuppance. Russell Brand also does a fantastic job, considering his love for sex in real life. Anyone in the mood for lots of goofy sex scenes will enjoy this movie!

Had its moments but nothing special

Author: Floated2
2 August 2010

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is basically another film Judd Apatow produced comedy with a roundabout of the same humor. This stars Jason Segel (surprisingly good) as a guy who's desperately heartbroken after a break-up and needs to refresh his whole life, and so he decides to go to Hawaii to seek out new interest.

Now, I never go into a comedy with high hopes, because I always end up disappointed - luckily, with this I got myself a good laugh. It's standard procedure sure, and the film does lend heavily on the romantic button at several occasions, but still there's lots to laugh at when mentioned Segel, Russell Brand, Bill Hader, Jack McBrayer, Paul Rudd and Jonah Hill. There were a few laughs, some minor some rather bigger but not enough for it too be that great. The females were played out by Kristen Bell and the sweet Mila Kunis, does only provide positively for the issues regarding romance, and not for the issues regarding comedy or mildly affecting drama, note: mildly. Their were some real awkward scenes and some other good scenes. One thing that was weird is how everywhere he went, Sarah Marshall was their. First he goes to Hawaii to forget about her, and he ends up running into her. Then, he rents a room and it ends up being the room right next to her. Weird and sorta unrealistic? Also he goes for a yoga class and she and Aldous Snow is there. Then he later goes to dinner and she's right there in front of him. Very strange. Also since she's a TV star, her show was usually on TV when he was watching. He couldn't get her out of his mind.

One thing that was weird was her chae7racter, she didn't seem that mean but they explained that she broke up his 5+ year relationship and during the last year, she was sleeping with Aldous. I though her character (Sarah Marshall) could have been meaner and more of a b****. Perhaps Kristen Bell wasn't the right choice. The ending was also really weird. She started having feelings for him again and likewise with him but he like Mila Kunis (Rachel) she he ended up getting with her. Not that surprising but somewhat surprising. Overall it was a decent movie, I enjoyed at parts it but it could have been better!

Brilliant Writing! Brilliant Cast!

Author: krissikrissa from Iceland
24 July 2010

It's one thing watching a typical rough comedy film; it's another thing watching a rough comedy that puts a lot of work into character development. Judd Apatow the super-producer of comedies has always been good at putting his own known style into a movie by having much more material then you are used to seeing in a comedy, a deeper meaning if you will. Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a total gem to be honest and is not far away from movies like Knocked Up and The 40 Year Old Virgin, even better actually in some areas. And if we are talking about Apatow movies, i think this one is better then Walk Hard, Pineappla Express and Superbad. There is something just so wonderfully likable about this movie.

Firstly, she is packed with wonderful actors that play strangely believable characters. Seth Rogen step a side and make room for Jason Segal. Jason Segal is much funnier playing the dork that everyone is rooting for. Segel who's always funny in his hit TV show How I Met Your Mother gets praise from me for brilliant comedic timing and a great script that is totally in his own hands. Kristen Bell does also a good job here playing a person who seems as a one sided character but has a secret side. Same can be said about Mila Kunis (It's impossible to not connect her voice to Meg from Family Guy) and the always special Russel Brand who steals every scene as the Looney-sex addict Aldous Snow. Jonah Hill is also always a class act.

It's not only rich on fantastic characters, it's also hilarious in every turn. Nothing more complicated about that. The Humour is never over-done or forced rather it just becomes funny on its own. For example when Aldous was rambling on about the shoe he lost. Brilliant! Like every Apatow movies, it's rather long and suffers a little bit for that. The story is so thin that they could have easily made it quite shorter. The movie is also great in avoiding cliché's but that's always good no matter what movie you're talking about.

8/10 -- If you haven't seen it check it out now!

Forgettable

Author: themoviemavens from United States
3 July 2010

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was like a would-be grand fireworks show that got rained out. That also contained completely unnecessary full-frontal male nudity.

Judd Apatow and his band of merry men were all dressed up with no comedic place to go. This lackluster film, about a TV composer who's dumped by his actress girlfriend, and inexplicably ends up on vacation, not only with his ex-lover, but her new sleazy boyfriend, comes in with a whimper, trots along at a slow shuffle, and over-stays its welcome in the process.

I've got a better name for this film -- Half Baked. It was underwhelming from start to finish. Every joke seemed to be aborted before it really had the chance to get off the ground. I kept waiting for the big payoff, but it never came. Russell Brand gave me a chuckle now and then, but even the always-dependable Jonah Hill disappointed this time. I'm not sure what all the hoopla's about, but Forgetting Sarah Marshall was, in my estimation, completely forgettable.

A movie full of constant sorrow, Infant Sorrow and Sorrow Suckers.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
22 November 2009

Peter (Jason Segel) seems to have it all. He's a moderately successful musician working away regularly on the score of a hit TV show that stars his successful, beautiful girlfriend Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell). And then it all falls apart after Sarah dumps him and he finds himself unable to move on with his life. Thinking that a trip to Hawaii may be the way to forget all about her and start afresh, Peter is distraught when he finds that he's checking in to the very same resort Sarah is staying at with her latest beau, rock star Aldous Snow (Russell Brand). All looks bleak and grey up ahead but, just maybe, with the help of perky receptionist Rachel (Mila Kunis) he can survive what has become a holiday from hell.

While some people may roll their eyes at yet another comedy from the stable of folk who "brought you The 40-Year Old Virgin" there are many more who will already know that they're going to like this. And they should. Taking just as much time and effort as the aforementioned comedy to flesh out many of the characters, this film works for a number of reasons.

First of all, there's a great script from Segel. It's a mixture of great one-liners and also subtler gags that work purely when spoken by specific characters or in the context of whatever is happening at the time.

Then we have the cast itself. Segel, literally at some points, lays himself bare as the hurt and bitter Peter in a performance as brave as it is funny. Kristen Bell stays almost likable despite what her character does to our leading man. Mila Kunis is a breath of fresh air and it's easy to see why she would turn a man's head and perhaps let him forget his multitude of problems. Russell Brand is both hilarious and immensely likable even though his character really shouldn't be, it's a lot of fun to see him play a character who so closely resembles his nonchalant comic/rock star stage persona. As for the supporting cast, you get a lot of familiar faces with the likes of Bill Hader, Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd and others making the most of small roles. There are even fun cameos from William Baldwin and Jason Bateman.

Everything is pitched just about right, though some people may find the movie slightly overlong, and there is nothing to complain about in the technical department so thirdly, last but by no means least, comes the major plus point that a lot of the humour in this movie (as is the case with a lot of the best humour) comes from a certain truth, no matter how unpalatable. The pain of a break-up, the way men often rail against those feelings of depression by seeking solace in sex, the social stigma attached to someone eating out on their own, etc, etc. I'm not saying that the movie is a masterpiece destined to be used in Biology classes years down the line in lessons explaining the male psyche but it certainly hits very close to the mark with many of its observations and that's something you don't always get to enjoy; honesty wrapped amidst the laughs.

And if that doesn't impress you, well, there's always the chance of glimpsing a Dracula musical with puppets.

See this if you like: Knocked Up, The 40-Year Old Virgin, I Love You, Man.

See it!

Author: Sherry from Missouri
5 November 2009

I didn't expect much from this movie, just to waste an hour or two since the choices on other channels sucked. And yet, I ended up liking this movie quite a lot!

I've noticed that a few professional critics take the film to task for it's "sophomoric" and explicit humor. Listen, "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" ain't Fellini or "Citizen Kane" or some high falutin' BBC costume drama, nor does it have to be. Movies can be fun and silly and sex-oriented, and that's just fine. "Animal House", anyone? Hey, it's now considered a classic! And no one (except for, perhaps, Chris Farley) was as juvenile as John Belushi.

As far as the nudity and masturbation jokes go, in my youth the bar for this genre of movies was set by "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." If you recall, Judge Reinhold jerked off in the bathroom while fantasizing about Phoebe Cates's breasts - and that was almost 28 years ago (and set in HIGH SCHOOL!) "Sarah Marshall" isn't any more explicit than "Porky's" (COLLEGE STUDENTS!) At least we're talking about young ADULTS here, and oftentimes the humor of that age IS sophomoric. So what? Not every 24-year-old can be Noel Coward, for Pete's sake.

The main characters in "Sarah Marshall" are fairly original, even if some of the minor ones are variations on well-established Hollywood stereotypes.

I found all the characters engaging - even the narcissistic British rock putz. I'm not all that familiar with actor/comic Russell Brand, but he really won me over in this film.

I was pleased to see Kristin Bell and Paul Rudd. I always enjoy Rudd, even in a throw-away role like his empty-headed stoner here (it seems to be genetically impossible for Rudd NOT to be charming in films OR in real life. Anyone see him on "The Daily Show" a few months ago?)

Kristen Bell has a bright future in show biz, as far as I can tell. If you haven't seen David Mamet's "Spartan", you absolutely should: she'll blow you away with her raw performance. She matches Val Kilmer scene-for-scene, which is pretty amazing given his legendary intensity. I knew then I was watching a serious young talent. Also, look for Bell in an old HBO "Deadwood" episode (if you get the chance), "Suffer the Little Children", where she plays a teenage con-artist who deservedly comes to a bad end. That's the first time I noticed her. Unlike too many Hollywood starlets, she's more than just a pretty face.

Jason Segel is a talented writer/actor. He projects a real vulnerability and decency (even when his character is, frankly, kind of creepy.) And sorry, all you nudity prudes: I, for one, admire his egalitarian willingness to go full-frontal. Now, if Segel can (or wants to) stretch beyond the comedy genre? Well, that remains to be seen . . . unlike his Johnson.

Watch "Sarah Marshall." You'll be pleasantly surprised!