IMDb > Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

You won't want to be Forgetting this comedy

Author: rparham from Gainesville, Florida
4 December 2008

Prior to the release of The 40 Year Old Virgin, it is likely that few people knew the name Judd Apatow. Now, just three years later, that name has become almost a stamp of comedy quality, with such films as Knocked Up and Superbad following on the heels of The 40 Year Old Virgin. Now, the Apatow steamroller moves forward with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and once again it has mined comedy gold, with lots of laughs, but also, as with many of the previous film's from Apatow's company, a nice streak of sweet romance to go along with the laughs.

Fogetting Sarah Marshall focuses on Peter Bretter (Jason Segel), a Hollywood composer who's girlfriend, Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell), is the star of a CSI-style police procedural series. Jason is a bit of a layabout (who also isn't afraid to walk around his apartment naked), and Sarah has decided she has had enough of him, so she is breaks up with Peter, leaving him in a seemingly unending pool of despair.

To try to take his mind of Sarah, he takes an impromptu vacation to Hawaii, but quickly discovers, to his horror, that Sarah is also at the same hotel as him, with her new boyfriend, recently on the wagon British rocker Aldous Snow (Russell Brand). However, while doing his best to avoid Sarah, Peter finds himself falling for a hotel staff member, Rachel Jansen (Mila Kunis).

As with such films as The 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is a comedy that isn't afraid to mine the more vulgar for comedy, nor does it shy away from some rather frank nudity, including plenty of footage of star Segel (who is also the screenwriter). The upside is that, unlike many other sophomoric comedies these days, the raunchier material actually produces laughs. Much of the film's best humor comes from Brand's performance as off the wall Snow. The character has lots of great scenes and lines, capitalizing on the characters seeming insatiable libido.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall doesn't just provide lots of laughs, it also features an involving and touching romance between Peter and Rachel. Both Segel and Kunis have a nice chemistry between them that fuels an involving romance. As the film progresses, we can't help but root for the characters to find themselves together in the end.

In addition to the previously mentioned Brand, the cast of Forgetting Sarah Marshall gives us both great laughs and characters we can be involved with. Segel proves to be relatively low on insecurity as he puts himself almost completely on display (literally). His Peter is an character whose rather unassuming nature wins you over. Kristen Bell makes the films titular character at times apparently self-involved, but also someone who has a soft spot for her ex-boyfriend. Kunis' Rachel is a character that is both no-nonsense and full of sweetness.

In the end, Forgetting Sarah Marshall proves to be another winner from "Team Apatow", and belongs right next to the previous hits from his creative team. If you are looking for both laughs and a dash of romance, look no further than Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Forgetting this movie!

Author: Pavla_M from Croatia
9 January 2009

I gave this movie a chance only because it had very good reviews. After seeing the trailer I thought - what an unfunny movie full of clichés. But I decided to give it a shot because trailers often don't portray the movie very well. What a waste of time... The movie is worst than the trailer and after spending 2 hours watching it, I couldn't recall one single line that made me laugh. The funniest parts of the movie were the CSI parodies, but that also is pretty passé. I couldn't relate to any of the characters nor hope that they will be together, because I found them utterly stupid. The plot is extremely predictable and inconclusive. Unintelligent comedy for people who are either still in high school or feel that way mentally.

And you thought *you* were sensitive...

Author: refresh daemon from United States
11 May 2008

An amusing and sometimes awkward breakup film, this pic was written by and stars a long-time Apatow cohort, Jason Segel. The pic centers on lost, hypersensitive slacker Peter, who after being broken up with by his TV star girlfriend copes with its end poorly, eventually escaping to Hawaii where he subsequently books himself into a hotel that she is coincidentally staying at.

Immediate warning to those sensitive to full frontal male nudity: it is present and more than once. That out of the way, the pic was pretty affable, containing more than a handful of good laughs as well as more than a lot of generally comically captured sex scenes. Many of the secondary characters also play enjoyably silly roles. And there is a funny musical component to the pic that also includes an amusing rendition of puppet-related works.

I suppose I do have to level a little criticism for the theme being a little slight, but there still is something to be said for healing of personal wounds and learning to "move on". Those that have seen other Apatow relationship pics will probably see a number of similarities (slacker dude learns to grow up, gross out comedy, etc), even though Apatow didn't write or direct this piece. The film is also a bit on the long side, like many comedies that come from the Apatow crew and you do notice it. Some judicious trimming and relegating of some scenes (including numerous flashbacks) to DVD extras would've been helpful.

Finally, I wish that more character could be drawn from both Sarah Marshall and Peter's newfound love interest, hotel employee Rachel as they played fairly two-dimensional, but I'm glad that Sarah didn't end up a one-note character as well. I didn't love the conclusion of the breakup story arc because I felt that it was a bit of a cop-out, but it didn't ruin the film. Lastly, Peter was written a little on the edge of believability in terms of being oversensitive, so you really have to buy his character, otherwise the film will break on you.

Essentially, this is a congenial, enjoyable, but rude/crude film with a share of laughs and more Jason Segel than you probably ever wanted to see. Recommended for those who like some story with their laughs and can handle the vulgar, sexual, and nude content. 8/10.

Just not funny

Author: tamemlin from United States
2 August 2010

I cannot understand why this film has received such a high rating. It's slow, moany and not in the least bit funny. Jason Segel is not leading man material. And neither is his penis.

The characters are all unlikable, one dimensional bores. There's no set-pieces whatsover, just a long string of static scenes that have no edge. You don't even get many shots of beautiful Hawaii. It's just really weak film-making.

The one plus-point is Mila Kunis, who is a cut above everybody else, and Paul Rudd does his best to improvise some life into his weak role. But there's still no laughs to be had here. Avoid this trash.

Literally The Emperors New Clothes

Author: ttherman-2 from United States
23 March 2009

I don't get it. I'm SO tired of people telling me these "Apatow" movies are funny, then I rent them and they are TOTALLY lame. All of them. This is a prime example. This one is LITERALLY, "The Emperors New Clothes." Someone has no clothes= laugh riot. And I have nothing against raunchy humor, but this is just not funny. I appreciate that they tried to have characters, but where are the jokes? It plays like a meandering weak sitcom with occasional nude people and unfunny cursing substituting for laughs. And two hours long????? You've got to be kidding me. Brevity is often best with comedy, but not in the Apatow cannon. "Knocked-Up," another disappointing snooze (that some critic compared"Annie Hall"-- Huh ????) is two hours and fifteen minutes!!!!!! I long for the days when Woody Allen's average length for a comedy was 86 minutes. Stop telling me this junk is funny! You want a funny, raunchy comedy? Rent, "Animal House."

Boring and mila kunis is super annoying.

Author: swtwendy1 from United States
15 September 2010

I thought this movie was really boring and monotoned. It was not funny at all. Mila Kunis was absolutely horrible at her acting. She was really annoying. Her voice was enough to drive someone nuts. I thought this movie had no plot what-so-ever. All there was that happened was lots of sobbing, lots of stalking, and idiocy. Garbage. It tried too hard to be funny. It was a complete waste of time. I thought that it made no sense at all. The ending was sloppy and random. it seem like they tried to rush the ending just to get it over with. I had no idea why and how he even got to send a letter to the girl! The beginning was super dull and showed no relationship value between peter or Sarah Marshall. The acting was super phony. I think that the only reason why it would have good reviews is because of all the excessive sexing and apparently Mila Kunis' tits.. which is not even a real picture of her.. its photo-shopped. so think before you even bother to watch this stupid movie.

absolute to sh!

Author: John Davies from Barry - Wales, UK
8 January 2009

I endured this film just to satisfy my curiosity. It has to be one of the worst films I have ever sat through. I am amazed that this film currently has a 7.5 star rating. The acting is awful, script is non existent and the characters are so predictable and hollow. For a funny film I cannot remember even snickering once and fail to see how it could be defined as a comedy. Do yourself a favour and stay well away from this dross and check out some more worthy alternatives that would give you far greater pleasure. Check out films like the holiday or 27 dresses, these movies would offer a far more satisfying cinema experience. I sincerely hope more educated film goers vote negatively for this film, in the manner it genuinely deserves there bye giving it a more realistic rating that other film buffs could base their judgement upon. Come on folks let's be fair to everyone concerned and give those involved with this film a true reflection on what it is they have produced - an extremely mediocre picture that deserves to be forgotten very quickly.

Really waste of time

Author: WatchIsWasteOfTime from Stuttgart
19 January 2014

For starters, sorry for my English but I am not a native – but suffering by watching this movie made me to write a review. I have never seen such a boring film/story in my entire live. Don't want to blame the producers/director of the film – they made their money I assume, but it was really awful, even the attempts to slapstick were horrible. All characters are empty jars, it is all quite predictable. Well, thats not unusual in a romantic comedy, but here it is just way too much. In the beginning there is shown the genitals of the main character 3 times - or maybe a dummy of them, and you are asking yourself: why the h... is that necessary? Is that supposed to be funny? The story dabbles on and on, he is left by her, he is a real lame duck, anyhow he manages to get a lot of quite beautiful women in his bed trying to forget his ex with sex - what never works out and what in the meantime is common knowledge to every hillbilly. Nothing will help, so he is going on vacation at a resort in Hawaii - and nice coincidence - accidentally his ex-girlfriend is in the same resort with her really dummy of a rock star-boyfriend and on and on ... horrible. Rather not necessary to say that he stays all the time a real sissy. Strongly recommended - not.

I am very disappointed

Author: pizza_sky
4 February 2009

This movie wasted 2 hours of my time and just make me wanna scream: "LAME". Nicholas Stoller write the movie "Yes Man", but direct "this" maybe he should stick with writing.

I am so disappointed because I heard all the great review. I was expecting something like knocked up. They say this is from the maker of "Knocked up"? why can't I see the resemblance? but this just felt like a shallow, overdone-theme kind of movie for me. I am so disappointed. Actually it's not bad if you consider it as your-average-chick-movie, but that character of the "band guy" just get on my nerves

Maybe I was just not paying enough attention to the movie, but yeah they have some funny lines and scene, but i don't felt the originality. And the ending make the movie a little bit better. At least the ending is not some boring cliché one.

Awful

Author: american beauty from Canada
2 January 2009

I'll just start by saying the only reason I'm spending ANY time reviewing this movie is to help avoid poor innocent souls of making the same mistake I did... watching this movie. Or half if it, anyway. It's the first movie I fast forwarded.

Honestly, this movie's plot barely moves. Nothing interesting happens, and nothing that's supposed to be funny actually is. The acting completely sucks. COMPLETELY. All they're missing in here is Miley Cyrus and they could call it a party. It probably doesn't help that I'm not fond of neither Kristen Bell NOR Mila Kunis.

I just think this is a movie with cheap humour and a shitty writing. I'm glad some people enjoyed it, I did not.

Page 2 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]