IMDb > Daft Punk's Electroma (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Electroma

Daft Punk's Electroma More at IMDbPro »Electroma (original title)

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Silent, surreal Daft Punk film

Author: Polaris_DiB from United States
10 September 2007

Daft Punk's "Electroma" has a pretty simple story: two robots attempt to become human, fail, then wander a desert landscape until they destroy themselves. Thematically, I wouldn't see why it shouldn't be taken at face value, though if you want to get technical about it I suppose it does have some things to say about plastic surgery, alienation, and conformity.

This movie's real focus resides, however, on the visuals. It's use of music and it's sense of surrealism, plus the fact that it has such a slight story, lends it to the inevitable comparison to music videos, but even that's not quite getting to the unique way the two directors use music and imagery. For one thing, the movie is shot in video and the movie often jumps or halts while panning, giving a sort of POV from the electronic minds of the protagonists (they are billed simply Hero 1 and Hero 2). Secondly, the soundtrack is just as ready to use environmental noise as it is music to hold the moment.

It could have been shorter. Most of the screen time is spent on the robots walking or driving through the desert landscape, staring at the other robots in the world or just watching the road or dunes. I think in this case Daft Punk were trying to make the movie fit into feature length presentation, though I suppose an argument into the monotony and blankness of the robots mechanical lives isn't unwarranted. The problem, however, is that after several long takes of repeated imagery, one hopes that it'll eventually lead to some form of action.

Still, the imagery is pretty gorgeous, and the middle scenes (involving the modeling, the robot society's reaction, and the abandoned bathroom) are pretty much 100% fascinating. This might be a good movie to see on DVD--watch the landscape traveling until it gets repetitive, then skip to the next scene of action.

--PolarisDiB

Rip off of Gus Van Sant's "Gerry"

Author: Raycarlking from Long Beach
14 April 2009

Anybody else think this is a total rip off!? Gus Van Sant did it way better!

Daft Punk did almost exact shots! Who does that? Desert scenes. Slowly walking in the desert. Fatigued. Giving up. Death. The only different was that in Gerry, they were humans. I love Daft Punk, and I really liked the last burning scene, however, it was totally a rip off. Great songs too, but too similar to call an original movie.

At least cite Gus Van Sant's work.

Human After All.

-Raymond

Why bother?

Author: jonb-29 from Australia
27 March 2010

If I'd seen this in a art-house cinema I would have walked out. But it was on my local public TV station so I watched it. Why? Well it was free. But that's all. This movie starts nowhere, goes nowhere, and finishes up nowhere. And in marked contrast with other reviewers I find silence just a bit boring when overdone. And it was really overdone in this self-indulgent "art work". And to think it took four, that's right four! writers to make this. Sure the scenery was good, but so what? It's been done a thousand times before (and better). Sure the music was atmospheric, but so what? it's been done a thousand times before (and better). Basically, the local public TV 30 second promos had the entire film in them. I kept waiting for something to happen. But no, watch the 30sec promo a few hundred times over and that's Daft Punks "Electroma".

Cult film? I don't think so...

Daft Punk's films blow their music off its boring,bland,stupid a**

Author: smjblessing from United States
26 January 2010

Really a 7 1/2 out of 10. This review is both an insult and a compliment.

I've got to admit Daft Punk's Electroma is up their with David Lynch's 1977's Eraserhead (story wise). Daft Punk's film making and style is nothing but a piece of sh**. I mean these idiots drag you in to 45,000,000 years of just a stupid car driving on a highway, then walking to nowhere (I mentioned more of this style in my review for their film, Interstella 5555, of being beginners at making experimental film making and that they try waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooo hard!!) (I mean Ryan how the f*** can you think that one 2 minute dance scene in Head is boring ??? Ever seen a f***** musical before buddy ?) This film is the most vaguest experimental film ever!! I mean I was actually trying to test its logic its soooo vague and slow!! Their directing sucks. Their style of art is crap. I mean you're sitting their watching a "commercial for Arizona" and then BAM! A woman's vagina out of NOWHERE!! What the hell ??????????? I mean and it's just dull silence ( a few tips ever heard of sound effects ?) and they even have to add their idiotic product placements on their backs (it's sort of excepted because its their logo).

But then another side of me REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKED THIS FILM! I was entranced by it. It definitely is a very respectable cult film for me. But that's the beauty of films, you can look at them logically as to what's good and what's bad. And then you can have the feeling in your conscious. Like soooo bad it's good. This film however is not like that for me. This film is poor in terms of experimental film making. David Lynch really rams his....... let's not go there. But I really enjoyed it. Loved its weirdness and just plain "coolness". It really cannot be missed!!

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]