IMDb > Daft Punk's Electroma (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Electroma

Daft Punk's Electroma More at IMDbPro »Electroma (original title)

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Homework.

Author: moimoichan6 (moimoichan6@yahoo.fr) from Paris, France
13 April 2007

It begins like a 70's Road Movie filmed by Antonioni and it ends like Gus Van Saint's "Gerry" with robots instead of humans. "Electroma" is an experimental trip that supposedly completes Daft Punk's last album : "Human after all" like "Interstella 5555" completed "Discovery" (but the two projects, beside their experimental faces, are here merely link one with another, whereas the last movie had strong connections with the album and the video clips). Here's a few things to know before watching this movie if you don't want to be too surprise or disappointed : it has absolutely no dialogs in it, the story is linear and simple and allows long experimental and contemplative sequences and the soundtrack isn't made by Daft Punk (even if it's omnipresent and very good : Brian Eno, Sebastien Tellier, Gregory Allegri...).

The movie is clearly divided in three parts, each lasts approximately 20 minutes long, except the desert part, which may be a little bit longer (but that may be a subjective impression...)

SUBJECTIVE DESCRIPTION OF THE MOVIE.

The first part is a road movie, with a video clip's editing style, where you see the two Daft Punk Robots traveling across the California desert. The references of the musicians are clearly shown here : the movie effectually looks like a crossover between "2001, a space Odyssey" and "Easy Rider", with robots in a big black car. The scene is rather pleasant, very aesthetically, and seems like a long and beautiful video clip d'auteur or like a 70's art video.

The second part is a mix between "THX 1138" and a grotesque horror movie, with the Daft Punk arriving in a typically American city full of robots, where they experience a operation, that transforms them to human, after all. They come out of the laboratory with caricature faces, and walk through the city, where the other robots stare at them with their surprised artificial eyes. But their carnival figures melt like ice-cream in the sun, and they have to get ride of them rather rapidly, and to become the Daft Punk again.

The last part fallows the two robots in the desert, where they walk and walk, and walk again (they're robots, they're never tired or hungry, they can walk endlessly...). There's then this secession of desert's frames, finishing with Courbet's "L'Origine du monde", that is rather ridiculous, but wakes the spectator up (I have to say that the movie is released in one Theatre in Paris, and has a unique weekly projection the Saturday at midnight !).

SPOILER AHEAD (even if it's merely a narrative movie).

Then, the two robots get tired of walking and even of living a robot's life : one explodes in a "Zabriskie Point"'s style, the other becomes the Human Torch (or the Robot Torch).

END OF TELLING THE END OF THE MOVIE.

The all thing is a pleasant but rather unoriginal (too many references) experimental movie, that links video clip with artistically experience and cinema.

Rip off of Gus Van Sant's "Gerry"

Author: Raycarlking from Long Beach
14 April 2009

Anybody else think this is a total rip off!? Gus Van Sant did it way better!

Daft Punk did almost exact shots! Who does that? Desert scenes. Slowly walking in the desert. Fatigued. Giving up. Death. The only different was that in Gerry, they were humans. I love Daft Punk, and I really liked the last burning scene, however, it was totally a rip off. Great songs too, but too similar to call an original movie.

At least cite Gus Van Sant's work.

Human After All.

-Raymond

Why bother?

Author: jonb-29 from Australia
27 March 2010

If I'd seen this in a art-house cinema I would have walked out. But it was on my local public TV station so I watched it. Why? Well it was free. But that's all. This movie starts nowhere, goes nowhere, and finishes up nowhere. And in marked contrast with other reviewers I find silence just a bit boring when overdone. And it was really overdone in this self-indulgent "art work". And to think it took four, that's right four! writers to make this. Sure the scenery was good, but so what? It's been done a thousand times before (and better). Sure the music was atmospheric, but so what? it's been done a thousand times before (and better). Basically, the local public TV 30 second promos had the entire film in them. I kept waiting for something to happen. But no, watch the 30sec promo a few hundred times over and that's Daft Punks "Electroma".

Cult film? I don't think so...

Daft Punk's films blow their music off its boring,bland,stupid a**

Author: smjblessing from United States
26 January 2010

Really a 7 1/2 out of 10. This review is both an insult and a compliment.

I've got to admit Daft Punk's Electroma is up their with David Lynch's 1977's Eraserhead (story wise). Daft Punk's film making and style is nothing but a piece of sh**. I mean these idiots drag you in to 45,000,000 years of just a stupid car driving on a highway, then walking to nowhere (I mentioned more of this style in my review for their film, Interstella 5555, of being beginners at making experimental film making and that they try waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay toooo hard!!) (I mean Ryan how the f*** can you think that one 2 minute dance scene in Head is boring ??? Ever seen a f***** musical before buddy ?) This film is the most vaguest experimental film ever!! I mean I was actually trying to test its logic its soooo vague and slow!! Their directing sucks. Their style of art is crap. I mean you're sitting their watching a "commercial for Arizona" and then BAM! A woman's vagina out of NOWHERE!! What the hell ??????????? I mean and it's just dull silence ( a few tips ever heard of sound effects ?) and they even have to add their idiotic product placements on their backs (it's sort of excepted because its their logo).

But then another side of me REALLY REALLY REALLY LIKED THIS FILM! I was entranced by it. It definitely is a very respectable cult film for me. But that's the beauty of films, you can look at them logically as to what's good and what's bad. And then you can have the feeling in your conscious. Like soooo bad it's good. This film however is not like that for me. This film is poor in terms of experimental film making. David Lynch really rams his....... let's not go there. But I really enjoyed it. Loved its weirdness and just plain "coolness". It really cannot be missed!!

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]