IMDb > "Wizards of Waverly Place" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Wizards of Waverly Place"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Wizards of Waverly Place" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

a great sense of humor..

Author: sheena_gabule from Philippines
26 September 2008

i am 20 years old and surely not much of an avid fan of Disney..But i really had fun on this one.. If you are a person who has a good sense of humor, no doubt you will get hooked..

i like Selena, she is pretty, talented and a versatile actress even if she's only 16.. and not to mention she is way better than Miley. Her acting is so natural,the way she delivers her lines were very good.. And if you are a person who wants to start your day with a big smile on your face you came to the right place. The roles was acted well by the cast especially Justin, their conversation with Selena was always funny. So people you wont regret it, support WOWP.

Surprisingly good

Author: Christie Cassidy from United States
12 August 2008

Okay so I'm not a tween or anything. People would prolly say I'm too old to watch Disney. I'm almost 18 and the shows on Disney channel are not funny at all to me or anyone my age. Maybe little kids find them funny but the jokes are so tired and unoriginal. I.E. Hannah Montana, Suite Life of Zack and Cody. They're entertaining to watch but not funny.

Wizards of Waverly Place is surprisingly funny. I would not expect this from a Disney show but it is celever, witty, and I laugh out loud sometimes. The actors are believable and relateable and it is not only entertaining but hysterical to watch. I think it is a bit more mature than all of the other little Disney shows based on 11 and 12 year olds. It is appealing to me and I enjoy watching it =]

Good show

Author: Hannah (hannahbry27) from United States
23 June 2008

Before I start, I just have to say that I am not a big fan of the Disney Channel. I don't watch it for the most part. However, I was channel surfing one day and stumbled on this show. I thought, "Well, I've never seen this before. Maybe it won't be as bad as some of the other stuff on here." I have to say that I was right! This show is appealing for the "tweenage" population but also for people in other age groups (myself included). "Wizards" is also pretty funny (albeit some of the humor is a bit cheesy, I have to admit that it still gets a chuckle out of me!). Selena Gomez is definitely another rising star. I had never even heard of her before this show, but now I count myself as one of her fans. Jake T. Austin is simply adorable, and David Henrie is pretty cute ;) I think that viewers of most ages will probably enjoy this show (if they can stand some overplayed gags and corny jokes). Personally, I think it's a lot better than anything else they show on that channel, so if you're like myself and think that everything on Disney Channel is stupid and little-kiddish, I recommend that you check this show out - maybe it will change your opinion. It did mine!

enjoyable, funny, and goofy. What did you expect from a Disney show?

Author: music232 from United States
14 October 2007

I really like Disney shows and i thought this one looked pretty good. I watched and i thought it was great! The plot is unique and reminds me of harry potter or phil of the future(which is good!) The show is funny and the acting is great. Little kids, especially girls will probably stick to shows like hannah montana because they like the whole popstar plot and stuff like that. But i could see a 12 or 13 year old liking this show. The characters in the shows are new faces to me and i think they're pretty talented. Even though is pretty good it might not make it far in Disney because not many people are watching it, but bad reviews shouldn't get the show cancelled because this show probably won't get bad reviews! I definitely recommend this to all Disney fans! I am also going to recommend this to all my friends!:)

Better Than I Thought It Would Be !!!!!!

Author: emdiva11 from United States
30 June 2008

When I saw the commerical for this show I though , it was going to be just like the Harry Potter series , which I never really enjoyed ( I was never a fan of magic ) But when I saw the premier I though it was a very enjoyable show and I liked it a lot !!!

Most of the cast are new faces to Disney Channel. But they'll become big !!! The acting talent in this really impresses me !!! Selena Gomez is really a very talented actress. They have good , clever jokes. Not washed up ones that you've probably heard a thousand times.

I really recommend watching this show !!! It'll make you have a good laugh and you'll really enjoy and see how good the acting talent really is , They couldn't have picked a better cast !!!! 10/10 GREAT SHOW , REALLY !!!!

Wizards

Author: alamest from Canada
3 April 2010

I must say, even though I am now officially considered an adult, I enjoy Wizards very much. I believe that no one is ever "too old" to watch Disney - they do not only target children, their movies always have a deep and highly philosophical meaning, yet they are entertaining and accessible to children. Although not all of their shows are as interesting, I find Wizards to be not only entertaining but also very endearing. I pride Disney on their amazing casting, in everything. They appeal to different audiences by including many different elements - I for one, look for the romantic part of the story, yet quite enjoy everything that comes with it. Another thing I would like to congratulate Disney for is their ability to include many different dimensions into the same work, be it a show, a movie or something else. I find Wizards an amazing way to wind down and relax after a long and hard day at university, and how can a girl not enjoy watching David Henrie? ;) Although I must say that all of the actors are very talented and the come together in an amazing tandem. I wish them luck and joy in their work! Keep it up! And Thank You :)

A Diamond in a patch of coal

Author: thejokerest1894 from United States
24 August 2008

I would describe wizards of Waverly place, in a word refreshing. In the recent years I have strayed from the Disney channel due to the recent decline in quality and yet I find myself watching this with renewed enthusiasm for the network. The Humor is standard of a Disney channel show but thanks to the personality the actors are able to bring to the table it more then makes for it.I especially enjoy the work of Selena Gomez, the way she delivers her lines are far beyond those of say Raven-Symone and other Disney channel stars. I guess its taken Disney channel awhile to find a diamond in the patch of coal they call programming. In the words of the immortal bard..Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana "YA Think?!"

This is awesome

Author: Jasons-Out-There from United Kingdom
12 May 2008

***Great Program***

I love this program. It is probably my favourite one on Disney channel. The story lines are great and the cast are excellent my favourites been Jake T Austin (Max) and Selena Gomez (Alex) the cast all work very well and make a very believable and very likable family. The program has some great funny, witty lines/jokes such as "Either I found dad's wand or I cracked my butt knuckle" and the very catchy "Thats Bunk" spoken by very likable Max (Jake T Austin) and great episodes. My favourite moments in episodes are Selena going chocolate crazy after been bitten by a pocket elf (You'll see) and episode one involving a dragon dog. I am looking forward to a season 2 of WOWP.

Terrible pile of rubbish that children should not be exposed

Author: Synetech from Canada
2 July 2013

Alex Russo is one of the worst role-models for children in television (or world) history.

Alex Russo is one of the most horrible characters in the history of television. To say that she is a bad role model is a compliment. She is rude, obnoxious, irresponsible, smarmy, lazy, selfish, self-centered, uneducated; illiterate; and stupid, unreliable, smug, arrogant, bossy, pushy, a bully, an underachiever, a cheater, and a liar, and does the bare minimum to get other to forgiver her until the next time she does something bad. For example, she purposely sabotaged Justin and Harper's friendship for her own selfish benefit. Another example is when she turned Justin and Zeke into puppets against their wills, again for her own selfish benefit. There is nothing redeeming about her and that she has been made the center of the show only serves to drag the whole program down. Impressionable children should not be exposed to her. Unfortunately the stupid writers keep making her out to be "cool" as though being bad is a good thing, which just makes the show all the more inappropriate, especially for impressionable young children.

The absurd scenarios are all extremely force and contrived and unbelievable (even for a fantasy show). The family is always somehow responsible for saving the world as though there is something special about them (which has been repeatedly established is not the case because there are plenty of other often include flat out offensive scenarios in which the Russos (Alex specifically) do things that are basically crimes.

One example is when Alex "outsmarted" the dragon seller by switching their dog with that of another person at that the dog-show. Excuse me? In what universe is she a hero? She just kidnapped someone's dog! Did it not occur to her that the person might be heart-broken and crushed that their pet has vanished? Of course not; she only thinks about

Another example was when T.J. turns Jenny Majorhealey from a 16-year-old girl into a a 40-year-old woman. First of all, where and how was she living for the past few months? Second, did it not occur to the writers that this is a stupid plot? Did they not think that Jenny's parents would have freaked out and searched the city for their missing daughter? Did they not think that this "innocent and funny" plot point is actually an *Amber Alert* and the stuff of "Law and Order"?

Another example is when Harper threw a slumber-part for girl-Max and had a bunch of girls from his school over. Magic went awry and the girls were turned into old men. What was the Russos' solution? To turn the girls into (talking) fruits! If that wasn't bad enough, Jerry actually had the audacity to indicate that he wanted to eat them! Excuse me? Are they actually condoning murder? Did it not occur to them that when a bunch of children suddenly go missing, there will be a search and big police hunt for them? Did it not occur to them that they will obviously first check the last place (the Russo residence) that the girls were known to be? Idiotic!

There have been numerous occasions in which they have actually killed someone or something, but because they usually do it in some stupid cutesy way with spell like turning them into stone and breaking it, or shrinking them and stomping on them, etc. it is somehow considered acceptable and a non-issue that they just took a life.

I'm over 40, and i LOVE this show!

Author: ken (kjf2007@gmail.com) from United States
15 October 2011

Wizards of Waverly Place is a RARE gem in the vast sea of TV wasteland. This show is superbly written, incredibly well cast, and very well acted. If you like subtle "inside-joke" type humor - this show is for you. Yet at the same time it also does more than enough obvious physical humor to keep younger and more simple-minded viewers enthralled. For example, in one episode there is a bumbling weatherman named BAXTER KNIGHT. A hilarious homage to Ted Baxter, played by Ted Knight, on the Mary Tyler Moore Show more than 30 years ago - this reference will be totally lost on 99% of the viewing audience since few were born prior to 2000. In another episode, Selena steals the show by greedily sloughing down all the chocolate deserts on everyone's plates in a fancy restaurant. In that regard, Waverly Place is very similar to all those classic LOONEY TUNES cartoons we all know and love - it can appeal to you on both a very simple AND a very cerebral level. Young children who watch this show today can go back and watch it again in 20 years and they will have an entirely new appreciation all over again, on a whole new level. The entire cast is a joy to watch, but a special tip of the hat to Selena Gomez who is a true delight. This girl shines both as an actress and as a singer. Plus, she is a real sweetheart and totally deserves all the future success she is guaranteed to achieve. Unlike the Lindsays and Britneys of our sad generation, Selena sets a shining example of perfection as a performer, coupled with graceful elegance as a young lady - giving her legions of young fans a more than worthy role model. Selena has released three albums to date, and each one has been better than the last, which is no small feat considering they were all amazing. Most artists today release an album featuring one or two good songs, and 10 really bad ones. Not Selena - ALL of her songs are music to my ears. Here's hoping Waverly goes on at least 5 more seasons - add more music to the show and it can't miss! Thanks yet again to Disney for creating an environment that fosters creative and unique programming of enduring value for generations of all ages.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]