IMDb > 13 (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

13 More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Great thriller with anti-climatic ending.

Author: kylebreaux from United States
16 December 2011

This was a great action thriller movie. I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat multiple times during the movie and I thought that it was overall nicely executed. I feel that the ending could have been handled differently, as I was not expecting the film to end so abruptly.

I recommend this movie to anybody that enjoys a great action movie, however, my advice to you is not to dwell on the many possibilities and paths that the movie COULD have taken, as there are plenty of things that could have happened in reality.

Overall, I rate this movie an 8/10.

Terrible compared to the original 13 Tzameti.

Author: sirjamesalot11 from Taiwan
11 May 2012

Terrible compared to the original 13 Tzameti. I recommend that everyone watches the black and white version with English subtitles and steers clear of this one. This remake was most likely a vain attempt to pad the pockets by milking an over-saturated market that necessitates familiarity and a complete lack of suspense and subtlety. The entire premise of the film is ruined with poor 'foreshadowing' less than a minute in and worse acting throughout. The scenes and characters are predominantly bizarro reflections of a movie that was done perfectly well in the first place, and ends up destroying any hope that this remake could add anything of value within the first 30 minutes.

(Almost) as good as the original!

Author: trellikialloparmeni from Ioannina, Greece
10 August 2011

I saw this remake a day after watching the original and was a bit uncertain whether it could be as good, but the colours and photography in the film were great, the minor differentiations in the story by Babluani greatly appreciated and a very good set of actors, also. At times, some of them seemed to try a bit too hard in my opinion, compared to the french version, but still, if I'd never seen the original film, I think I would have given it more than 7. Highly recommended, but I also recommend that you watch 13 Tzameti, too, because of the whole film noir atmosphere which brings a somewhat more poetic outcome (it's also in black & white). Really looking forward to seeing more from this director! ...Great work!

Worst Movie I ever saw.

Author: AngryWarrior from United States
25 May 2011

So there i was sitting in the morale tent in Afghanistan when the Lt brought in a movie he had bought(poor guy) and little did we know, the Afghanistan experience was about to get a little worse. We could barely hear the beginning of the movie, all we really knew was that we were being bored to death. Considering we just watched "Knight and Day" a couple days prior, we were really hoping to see a movie that was entertaining...or at least had a half naked girl in it. But watching movies these days is a little bit like playing Russian Roulette, sometimes you pick a movie that feels like a bullet to the head. I guess thats where this movie shines, because Russian Roulette is actually the plot and from what i gather it makes for a pretty lucrative betting franchise. If you left "Requiem for a Dream" feeling like you just saw the most uplifting feel good story of your life, then you will love this movie. If your NOT a sick bastard, like most of us, then you will probably feel like crap the entire movie. The writer, having watched the Deer Hunter WAAAYYY too many time, thought it would be a good idea to just make a whole movie about guys standing in a circle shooting each other in the head. Each round of betting goes by and another bullet is added until (Spoiler alert in case you didn't read the title of this god awful movie) 13 becomes the victor and shortly afterwords is killed by an obvious person in predictable fashion. Its not all a fun and games so if your not a sports fan Don't worry. When the characters aren't shooting each other in the head, they are laying in the fetal position in the break room crying until the next round starts. If thats not enough of a break between the action packed "spin the cylinder, wait till the light comes on, fire" sequences, the cameras also go to the bookies taking bets from tux wearing high rollers. Lots of Big names grace the screen in a movie that must have taken almost 2 hours to film, and 3 minutes to write on a napkin at "Denny's" after a night of binge drinking. You care nothing of any of the characters and during the first round of betting you hope every contestants gun goes off. This film was so bad that i went and became a registered user just to post this review.

13 (2010)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
14 December 2011

After watching the original, it was the first time I believed a Hollywood remake could be an improvement. I'm amazed to find out I was right. All of my hangups concerning the original have been addressed here. First of all, Babluani has an exceptional eye for color. It adds to the depth and tragic aesthetic, more so than black and white. I found this film to be very tense at times, whereas the original just sort of limped along. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still enthralled and captivated. This was mainly due to the inclusion of some humanity to the piece. More characters are explored and defined. Even minor roles explode, such as Skarsgard's caring driver. The only flat acting comes from 50 Cent. Luckily, he's quite a minor role. Michael Shannon takes a simple role as an emcee, and transforms it into a terrifying and interesting character. The man is cinematic dynamite and has an intensity that is now being recognized. Winstone and Rourke add some empathy to their hard men roles. For s a film I had already seen, this was still exciting stuff, and I enjoyed it on more levels than the original. Well done to the director for improving on his potential.

not for everyone

Author: marie b from Australia
8 October 2011

Yes, the video photography was great, wonderful actors were involved in the project however, if your looking for a good movie to watch this is not the best choice. The beginning is slow, the middle is designed to leave the viewer feeling anxious and the end is over quickly and without explanation. The movie left me with a feeling of well- one can only describe it as- emptiness. I was actually quite disappointed I had wasted nearly two hours of my life watching this and whilst I love Jason Statham, he wasn't a central character, but one who I was not fond of by the end. I would strongly recommend people not to watch this unless they like pointless movies with horrible story morals.

Bad movie. Horrible ending.

Author: masterfog from United States
26 October 2011

I enjoyed the premise. I just enjoyed it better in the original. Sadly this is just another bad film in a sea of bad films. The movie is mildly entertaining up until the near end. Then you get a nice feel good movie buzz from how the movie turns. Then they end it in the most nihilistic manner possible. It aggravated me to the point where I shut the film off and came here to rant.

There are plenty of good films out there within the genre to satisfy any fan of these types of movies. So please pass this one up. Its really not worth your time.

Thanks for reading and I hope I helped sway you from this atrocity.

Don't listen to Dr Yvon...

Author: Nathan_BA from United States
22 April 2010

The first review on this film by Dr Yvon is incorrect. Fans of the original 13 will enjoy this remake. As the OP would like to suggest this is yet again another film in the Hollywood machine, I would argue that the original 13 director/writer Géla Babluani is behind the helm yet again.

Géla Babluani was given a chance to do what many filmmakers dream of doing.... remaking their films with a Hollywood budget and the chance to put top tier actors into their work. The eclectic mix of actors is amazing..... Jason Stratham, Ray Winstone, Mickey Rourke, and David Zayas who American audiences know from his many roles as detectives.

If you could handle Tzameti 13 you'll love 13.

What To Expect: 13

Author: Film Watchin Fool from United States
11 August 2013

My Score: 6.375

I caught this on Encore Movie channel a couple weeks ago and I am glad I had a chance to watch it. I admit to not hearing anything about this film, but it has a solid cast (Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke, Ray Winstone, Michael Shannon to name a few), is well directed, and has an intriguing storyline. I would recommend to anyone wanting to see a drama/thriller that has a story that deviates from the norm.

Sam Riley is Vince Ferro, who is trying to come up with money to ensure his hospitalized father gets the care he needs to live. When an envelope that contains the opportunity to make a lot of money presents itself, Vince steals it and ends up getting more than he bargained for. After following the directions enclosed, he is transported and placed in a live or die game of Russian Roulette, where mobsters bet on who will live and die. If Vince is the last man standing, then he gets to take home some winnings for himself or he will lose his life as a result of the game.

13....out of 100

Author: stefanknezevic12 from Canada
18 February 2013

Let me start by saying this movie is terrible. I cannot believe all the people involved in this movie thought it was fine to release. The plot is slow, boring, and predictable. The acting by most of the crew is awful. The soundtrack is one of the worst and most inappropriate I have seen used in a movie. Frankly, other than a solid (yet very scene- limited) performance by Mickey Rourke, there is really absolutely nothing going for this film.

I am used to watching good movies, so this one just came across as so bad in my eyes. I figured I had an hour and a half to kill before bed, why not watch an entertaining action flick? That was a big mistake. Even bigger than the one of putting 50 cent in as an actor in this film. I was constantly waiting for this movie to just finish, because I didn't want to cut short an already wasted 45 minutes. Now I wish I had just cut my losses and head to bed early. I realized at the end that I would have rather just done math homework over watching this, at least I would have done something productive, and probably would have been more entertained.

There is so much bad in this movie, I would rather not delve into every single little thing. I just want people to understand this movie is god- awful, and that if someone is even on the fence about watching it, do not. It is not entertaining, it is not funny, it is not slick. 13 is often seen as an unlucky number. Today, it was mine.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]