IMDb > "Planet Earth" From Pole to Pole (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Planet Earth" From Pole to Pole (2006)

1 of 11 Episodes | Next »

Memorable Scenes Get This Series Off To A Great Start

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
25 December 2008

My goodness, there are many memorable scenes from this opening episode of an 11-part BBC series of "Planet Earth." It makes me anxious to see the other 10 parts of this project.

This first part concentrates at the beginning more on life on the two poles, on the Arctic Region and the Antarctic. Anyone who has seen the amazing documentary, "March Of The Penguins," will be familiar with the opening segment here as it talks about those determined penguins.

Elsewhere, on the other end of the globe, we soon enjoy seeing a female polar bear emerge from hibernation with her two little Cubs, and the problems the three of them have adapting to their new (for the cubs) above-ground life in the spring.

We see migrations, such as the huge caribou one, complete with the ever-present predator, this time the wolf.

To me, the most stunning parts of this opening episode were several sights photographed not at the poles but in the forests and warm water areas. Three that come to mind are (1) the incredible Birds Of Paradise; (2) underwater shots of big elephants swimming; and (2) a Great White Shark, which looked the size of a house, exploding out of the water to devour seals.

Simply Remarkable

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
13 August 2015

Perhaps the best nature photography I've seen. The theme here is to hop from place to place, from barren wastes to the oceans, from the plains of Africa to the ice of the Arctic and Antarctica. We are treated to the migrations of animals as they seek sustenance and the ability to mate and reproduce. We get to see elephants swimming from underwater footage. There are several predator versus prey scenes. The camera somehow manages to keep up with these intense moments. There is a scene where a great white shark shows its amazing power as it comes silently from the depths to nearly swallow a seal whole. Several views of birds of paradise as they go into their mating rituals. There's a sort of comic parade of baboons walking through water, trying to keep themselves as dry as possible. Suffice it to say, this series gained incredible respect from the critics. It deserved everything said about it. Great opening episode.

"Time to call in the chopper squad."

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
20 August 2012

This series has long been on my must watch list so I decided to pull the trigger by calling on my local library. I'll be reviewing each chapter individually starting here, and as a life long enthusiast of animals and nature, I expect the chapters to be every bit as compelling as this first one. The only thing I would offer in the way of critique would be to narrow the focus of each segment. The first installment, 'From Pole to Pole' managed to gloss over such quick entries as penguins at the North Pole, a rare Asian Amur leopard, a massive great white shark feeding on seals, and an underwater view of elephants swimming in the flooded Okavango Delta. All of these offerings were truly compelling, but their vast breadth seemed to lack cohesion, except for the over-arching theme of life on Planet Earth dependent on the sun and the way the Earth is positioned to be influenced by it. I would prefer a more focused approach to these chapters, and perhaps we'll have that in the ones to come next, as I'm not previewing them before hand. With all of that said, I did manage to gasp a couple of times, particularly when the great white heaved out of the water to catch an unlucky seal. One is easily mesmerized by the force of nature's fury, as well as the playfulness of newborn polar bear cubs emerging from their dens for the first time. I would have rated this first chapter a perfect score if it didn't seem like the film crew was rooting for the African hunting dogs in their pursuit of the impala.