IMDb > "Planet Earth" Mountains (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Planet Earth" Mountains (2006)

« Prev | 2 of 15 Episodes | Next »

There's Nowhere To Hide, Even On Top Of Huge Mountains

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
25 December 2008

After watching this second episode, I couldn't help but think back and shake my head over one basic fact: there is no safe place on earth. It's tough enough being a human, but more scary being an animal, bird or fish. There are predators: everywhere, who strike like a bullet and rip you pieces.

Even high above the earth's surface, way up in the Himalyaya where eagles attack migrating birds or literally on high peaks where you would think no one else could survive, we witness Ibex getting stalked and eaten by the rare and beautiful snow leopards!

Most of all, though, this episode provides us with spectacular mountain scenery with jagged peaks like you can't believe. The formations on some of these mountains are incredible. It's amazing that creatures can live and move around in these jagged remote areas.

"On the highest summits of our planet, nothing can live permanently."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
21 August 2012

The second episode of this series offers an incredible look at mountains, their formation, and the relative abundance of life in remote areas that very few humans get a chance to witness. From the molten lava lake Erta-Ale in the Danakil Depression of Ethiopia to the peaks of the Himalayas, one is constantly fascinated by the ever shifting movements of giant land masses that only the patience of centuries can provide. As in the first entry of the series, one hooks up with the film crew that makes the journey possible, sacrificing themselves to loneliness, boredom and the bitter elements to chronicle the images that make us gasp in awe in the comfort of our living rooms. The highlight here is undoubtedly the elusive Himalayan snow leopard in a dramatic chase of a hairy mountain goat called a markhor. The race is waged up and down fierce mountain slopes and if one isn't impressed by the effort, than you've probably lived in a cave longer than the guy doing the filming. Additional images involve high plateau gelada baboons, Ethiopian wolves, elusive panda and migrating damoiselle cranes. But it's the snow leopard quest that earns the oohs and aahs here, so much so that you get to see it twice.