IMDb > "Planet Earth" Fresh Water (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Planet Earth" Fresh Water (2006)

« Prev | 3 of 11 Episodes | Next »

Where To Find The Prescious Fresh Water

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
25 December 2008

'Water, water everywhere........" Well, actually only a small percentage ( 3%) of he water in the world is "fresh water," according to this episode, but it means every everything to all living creatures on planet Earth.

In this third installment of the fabulously-filmed "Planet Earth" series, some of the sights we see are (1) the highest waterfall where water is just a mist by the time it's three-quarters of the way down; )2_ the largest lake, located in Eastern Siberia, and (3) the world's largest river: the Amazon, which holds more water than rivers numbers 2-9 put together! We also see a fair number of innocent animals, birds and fish eaten by giant, very nasty-looking salamanders, crocodiles and other predators.

Always searching for fresh water, we witness migrations such as the great wildebeest migration on the Serengeti Plain (and the humongous Nile crocodiles waiting for them).

Other highlights includes beautiful waterfalls, lush vegetation and some very strange-looking creatures (mostly fish).

Planet Earth: Fresh Water

Author: Seda Mirzoyan from Armenia
22 December 2014

Have you ever thought about what kind of water you are drinking or where it comes from? What is the main ingredient of your favorite coffee, tea or juice? Yes, of course you are right! It is all Freshwater! Though only 3% of all the water sources of our planet are fresh waters, life deeply depends on them. Knowing more about them will not be useless both for our planet and its inhabitants. Fortunately, there is an episode from Plant Earth TV series, which is about Freshwater! These TV series were produced by BBC Natural History Unit in cooperation with Discovery Chanel. The narrator was David Attenborough, the executive producer was Maureen Lemire and the composer was George Fenton. Besides producers, there was a huge supporting team, which consisted of more than hundreds of scientists, pilots, guides, drivers and other members who worked really hard on creating these series. Planet Earth's budget was 16 million pound sterling. Due to this among all the documentaries BBC has ever made these are the most expensive ones. And the episode about freshwater is one of those eleven series, which were first broadcast on BBC in 2006. This one had more than 8.83 million viewers on its first broadcast day. Its plot develops upon description of freshwater sources. The first source of freshwater is the rain. It starts to fall down from high mountains by forming streams. Streams can form rivers by falling down from tall cliffs. Simultaneously they create waterfalls. Some freshwater rivers contain a huge variety of animal species. Which ones live where? There is a scrupulous explanation why everyone from them live mostly in the same habitat. Most important relationships between both inhabitants and the environment of a particular habitat are some pieces of evidence, which make the description comprehensive for the audience. Then we are witness of other rivers falling into seas and oceans. But not all the rivers continue to stream. Some of them form lakes. Freshwater lakes contain 20 times more water than all the rivers combined. The biggest lake of our planet is Baikal, which contains 1/5 of World's all freshwater sources. And finally, not only freshwater lakes, but also rivers that fall into oceans involve the enormous diversity of many usual and unusual creations. The screening of the nature is accompanied with a detailed interpretation. Many episodes have taken from the high and unavailable places for operators. This was due to small video cameras that cannot be sighted by animals or broken down by poor environmental conditions. These outlooks make spectators to feel like a participant of the whole journey. The documentary is accompanied with glamorous classical music. Wonderful sounds of different musical instruments are completely accordant with the views of the nature. They catch the audience's attention and make the watching process entirely entertaining. In conclusion, because of absolutely excellent clarification, impressive music and picturesque views of rivers, waterfalls and lakes the documentary becomes more educational and gripping. On the whole, it is an outstanding one for watching.

"Here, only the narrowest line separates life from death."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
22 August 2012

Fascinating statistics abound in this third entry in the Planet Earth series, foremost of which is that all the fresh water in the world comprises only three per cent of the total water there is. One never stops to think about it, but if seventy five percent of the Earth is ocean, then putting it into that perspective kind of makes sense. Then there's the Amazon River - larger in volume than the next ten largest rivers combined! It's truly a wondrous world when you come right down to it.

By it's nature, the format of these chapters lends itself to a much too rapid coverage of a myriad of subjects. This 'Fresh Water' segment made it's way quickly from Venezuela's Angel Falls to Japan, the Grand Canyon, India, East Africa and Siberia. Every area explored is an adventure unto itself, and maybe it's a response to today's attention deficit lifestyle, but a more focused approach might have been in order for some of these topics. Then again, it's a big planet, so I don't know if my idea would have been better suited for such a broad topic.

The segment that literally had me jumping out of my seat were those nasty river crocodiles in East Africa's Mara River. There's no getting away from those bad boys once they clamp down on their intended victim. So you have to marvel at those Indian otters harassing mugger crocs in another part of the world like they didn't have a care in the world. Me, I prefer the distance a nice living room couch affords from a distance of several thousand miles. So call me crazy if I think those piranha divers were just asking for trouble in the Amazon. I like coming up with the right number of fingers and toes when I go swimming.