IMDb > "Scrubs" My Lunch (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Scrubs" My Lunch (2006)

« Prev | 113 of 182 Episodes | Next »

The best episode of season five is a prime example of what makes Scrubs so good!

Author: Z S (acrosswateragain) from Cresskill, New Jersey, United States
3 June 2006

This episode may hands down be the best Scrubs episode of season five. As it starts, the dialouge is fast-paced and funny, full of double-takes and clever lines. This includes some classic exchanges between Dr. Cox and J.D., a couple great Dr. Cox monolouges, and what may be the best story line The Todd has ever been involved in. Director John Michel and Writer Tad Quill (who also wrote the great season five episode "My Five Stages") deserve a lot of the credit for the quickness within this episode. However, what also makes "My Lunch" so great is that it manages to work in some excellent dramatic scenes, another factor in what makes "Scrubs" so special. In the final scene of the show, John C. McGinley delivers a performance so raw and full of pain that is further proof that his lack of an Emmy or Golden Globe nomination to this point is a crime. "My Lunch" is everything "Scrubs" should be.

Makes me cry every time

Author: abdel411 from United States
21 November 2006

Before this episode, my favorite episode of Scrubs was the episode with Michael J. Fox's first guest appearance. I thought that there was no way a prime time television show could produce such a powerful dramatic scene during a comedy.

Man, was I ever wrong.

McGinley's performance in this episode is just stellar. Every word is toned perfectly, his chops are first class, and every ounce of his final performance is so loaded with pain and guilt that I can't help but cry every time I see it.

I must have seen this episode a dozen times. Before this, the only performance that ever made me cry was Matt Damon and Robin Williams' "Not your fault" scene from Good Will Hunting. That's the level of power that this episode brings to television.

Scrubs

Author: goldshine22 from United Kingdom
13 April 2007

In any television programme it is extremely hard to make the audience laugh or vice versa make them emotionally touched but when a TV programme can do both them it must be something special.

This episode of scrubs I would argue to be one of the greatest episodes of a sitcom to ever be aired. I watched it and weeped. It was chilling to hear the emotional song of the Fray to the frightening realistic actions of the doctors trying desperate to save there patients. Dr Cox I feel is one of the greatest actors on the TV screen to see how much he cares for those patients whilst he is desperately doing anything possible to save them is heart wrenching and the guilt he is overcome with is unbearable to watch. You cannot describe this episode in a review as it is impossible to do so. Words can not describe the emotians you will be overcome with in that episode.

A comedy which makes you cry...you don't get that everyday.

What makes this show rise above the rest.

Author: tu_bac from United States
29 December 2006

Once again Scrubs manages to choke me up in multiple ways and how, if not when, I least expect it. Perhaps the most haunting part of this episode is how the director infuses the piano étude immediately after Perry's meltdown, using a song from "They Fray" entitled "How to Save a Life." How has John C McGinley yet to be even nominated for an Emmy? His acting is the strongest aspect of one of the finest shows in recent television. I laugh and I tear up repeatedly.

The only downside to watching this episode is deciding if I was more moved by this episode or "My Mistake" from Season 3. Right now it's a toss-up.

John C. McGinnley's Performance

Author: info-4864 from United States
10 February 2007

McGinnley's character Dr. Cox goes through a 180 degree transformation in "My Lunch." Throughout the history of Scrubs, Dr. Cox has consistently been a static character, especially when compared to JD, Turk, Carla, and Elliot, who develop in each episode, making their characters static. He is abrasive, brash and hard to deal with. He has a God complex and knows that he is the best at Sacred Heart. And this never changes. For those who have seen All in the Family, you know that Edith Bunker is static; she is always subservient to Archie. In one particular episode, when Archie forges he signature, she steps outside of her box and becomes irate at Archie. The viewer is taken aback when Edith stands up for her self and becomes "someone else." The writers of Scrubs do the same thing with Cox, who becomes less God-like and is allowed to suffer.

McGinnley's performance allows this episode to rank among the greatest on Television's history.

(This was written on the fly and may not be grammatically correct in some instances.)

best episode

Author: willfishgirlz from United States
20 January 2007

this episode was the best ever, every time i watch it it just hits me harder and harder. dr. cox's performance is the best. this episode makes me want to go out and buy every season of scrubs there is. truly a great episode. even brings a tear to the eye. scrubs has become one of my favorite shows on t.v.. i also like how it starts out with THE TODD. it's hilarious how they bring him in and out through the whole show. this episode also shows how you can make a difference in someone's life. after this episode it really got me thinking of what kind of impact i have on people. everyone should start to think what kind of impact they have on other people's lives. this episode also has twist and turns throughout it. who else would of expected rabies? no one. it definitely caught me off guard.

Emmy Worthy

Author: cj-123 from South Beach USA
23 February 2007

Historically, hospital related dramas were always able to infuse comedy when things were too heavy to the viewers. The same in reverse isn't always an easy transition. I can't begin to think of how many hospital related comedy movies failed miserably to invoke heart wrenching moments. The few "deep moments" are typically so light in nature that the viewer can't empathize and the moment comes off as a kindergarten lesson of sorts.

Writer Tad Quill again lends his pen in achieving comedy with such a dark twist. He took a character ( Nicole Sullivan ) from a previous episode who already has a seasoned comedic persona with a dark twist - and pinned the hopes of salvation to her. Even the disease was somewhat silly - but it's effects are so devastating.

John C. McGinley's performance was nothing if not Emmy worthy. His range as an actor was put to the test. How can you go through the whole gamut of emotion and personality - and still make it believable? John C. McGinley did it and left viewers with a heavy heart. Braff shines again as well as one of the young " Super-Actors,"

Quiet kudos to the whole cast and crew... thanks for the ride.

A must see!!!

Author: kleenexsoft from United States
11 May 2006

This ranks among the top 2 episodes of I have ever seen.

I think it is a vital episode because it determines the mood of the remainder of the season and possibly some of the next. It is extremely important as far as character development goes,and you can't help but to empathize with the characters.

So much happens in this episode that I was not watching the show merely for the laughs, but also because I was genuinely interested in how the Dr Cox character would overcome the challenge he was facing.

Not only does this episode raise questions on the resiliency of the human spirit, but for it gives Dr Coz an air of vulnerability that I had never seen previously.

Reminds us of how Scrubs relates to us on an emotional level as well as being a comedy

Author: TouchRainbow from Leicester, England
24 October 2007

I've got to say, the last scene with the track 'how to save a life' was perfect.

It emotionally captured me into the scene, making me feel angry and upset. The performance by McGinley (Dr. Cox) was amazing. Very powerful and a big contrast to the character he usually is like.

Not only does McGinley show his sensitivity at the end, but also gives time and advice to JD in the middle- again, because this is a contrast to his character, its touching to watch.

The best parts: How Dr. Cox lets JD help him emotionally on the couch. How he was about to eat lunch bought by JD. How we all thought that he was going to be OK, because of JD's talk. And than how it flips around where Dr. Cox goes into a more serious state than before.

The final scene includes JD, Carla and Dr. Cox. All three played an amazing role. Even though Carla didn't say anything in the final scene, her strong character where she would usually uplift someone stays quiet. She is also upset- and really scared that she can't do anything for Dr. Cox. Her innocent and sad face while Dr. Cox loses the patient and performs a powerful and superb role immensely adds to the 'sad' emotional theme.

For those who have seen this, you know what I mean when I say, you can't describe that scene in a comment.

Nicely done- my best episode.

Such an amazing performance on everyone's part.

Author: bookishfreak05 from United States
17 January 2007

This was definitely one of my favorite episodes. Throughout the series, I was wondering when you would get to see Dr. Cox's true emotions. When something bad happens, he usually reacts with sarcasm and lashes out. You always see him take the reins and take charge of the situation. Now, you see a different side to Dr. Cox. You see his vulnerability. His humanity. McGinley definitely locked in to it, and gave an amazing performance, especially in the last sequence. When that last patient died and he let out the anger and sadness he felt, even Carla looked frightened. When his eyes met J.D's that's when I cried. It takes a lot for an actor to convey true emotion just using their eyes. They looked sad, angry, guilty and ultimately...confused. I think that Braff also gave the best performance I had ever seen. For once, he wasn't off in la-la-land, he was a serious doctor, and it was great to see that.