IMDb > "Eureka" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Eureka"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Eureka" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

One the most well-written shows in the history of sci-fi

Author: ApolloBoy109 from United States
19 July 2006

As a science-fiction fan, long time lover of B-grade fun and a playwright who loves the idea of a small town with big secrets -- this is right up my alley. The characters either make or break a show like this, and in this case, the actors and their characters bring the entire story up. For example, the kid math-savant, a tough female DOD agent, Henry the quasi-mechanic, the tough deputy Lupo and an all-American US Marshall, who is the normal guy and now the Sheriff of Eureka. There are others of course and I am hoping the show hangs on long enough to develop a following. The setting is perfect. The writer's foreshadowing worked like a charm. Many things I assume will be happening. As I was watching, I kept saying, where's the villain?? And at the end of the first episode, a sweet villain was revealed, and in such a way -- you had to go --- Whoa -- very nice. The actor playing Jack Carter was perfectly chosen to act as us in this strange little story. Briefly, a small town hosts the world's most shining minds as they experiment and tinker with science and it's up to the normal people to keep the brains on the right path. I am so looking forward to the next installment. My hats off to the creative team -- this is just what I needed. Let's all hope we don't lose this show in the most important early stages. Ratings are King and just because it's good doesn't mean it will last. So fan boys gravitate to this show on Tuesdays on the best channel on the planet -- sci-fi!!

Addition: Just saw the sixth episode. This is a show that keeps topping itself, introducing new and deeper sub-plots and literally has a dream cast. You will fall in love with Eureka.

Here we are at the third season and it has only gotten better and better. This season everything's been kicked up a notch, I cannot believe the storyline of Nathan. I stand in awe of the writers, and as always one of the best TV casts in history.

Fourth Season opener: While most shows hit a slump in their 4th outing, Eureka raises the bar. The time-traveling theme reveals just how inspiring the creators, actors, crew and writers can be. I am so impressed. You will be too.

Eureka! We've found a new hit show!

Author: Jennifer_Hillier from Canada
24 July 2006

LOL. I know. The title of this post is too cliché, but I couldn't resist. In any case, I found the pilot of "Eureka" to be totally refreshing. The makers of the show took issues and aspects of long standing science fiction, added a new twist and location, and a ton of humour, creating in the process a fun new show that both amuses and mystifies.

Personally, I enjoyed seeing science fiction elements that have been proved interesting, stimulating, and well liked in the past. Throughout it all, while not too much language was used that I consider far above my own understanding, it still gave me the impression of "Hmmm... They know what they are talking about. Maybe some of this really is possible." I love that about television shows.

Leaving behind the sci fi subject matter, I was also impressed with the acting within and writing of the show. The pilot showed a serious side, with veins of humour throughout. The acting showed great compatibility and believability of the characters. I found myself liking some characters and getting annoyed at others. I love being drawn into a show like that.

Although some things can be considered predictable, and indeed I guessed a number of things before they happened or were revealed, I was still held in suspense and laughing from beginning to end. I can't wait to see more, and I totally recommend this show to everyone I come across. I think you all will enjoy it just as much as I did.

Great humor, great premise, great cast

Author: TheatronRex from North Carolina
20 July 2006

A delightful blend of humor and sci-fi, this is the kind of original programming SciFi channel is known for. Like the Stargate series and the late, lamented FarScape, the cast features a sardonic yet pragmatic hero with a little too much baggage, along with a cast of quirky geniuses, and a nefarious plot to steal top-secret military plans (are there any other kind?). The outstanding cast, featuring the wonderful Joe Morton and the under-appreciated Maury Chaikin, manages to bring energy and panache to what could have easily become formulaic. It's good to see Debra Farantino return to sci-fi as well (raise your hand if you miss "Earth 2"). The premise offers endless variations on a theme, and the only foreseeable problems are a stereotypically heavy-handed military antagonist and a preponderance of absent-minded professor types. If the show can steer clear of overexposing these characters, or give them a twist or two, then Eureka is an excellent addition to SciFi's increasingly vivid and original programming.

Science fiction is watchable again (and it's not a remake)

Author: jhaskell48 from United States
19 July 2006

I'm not a gamer and I am not a reality fan, but I am a big fan of real science fiction. This show actually allows you to think of the possibilities presenting interesting scientific "what ifs". However, it's great entertainment for various ages and IQs. I thought the characters were also introduced and developed quite nicely along with the story, something you don't see very often in many movies of this genre today, and so many of which, I can't get through the first half hour without feeling bored and changing the channel. This show will keep me coming back for more, if following episodes prove as interesting as this one. It does have a lot of promise. I like the way the main character brings the grounded "regular guy" comments and common sensibility to the show. Having worked around rocket scientists, they can send us into space, but you don't want them to drive your car. I agree with another reviewer, it does remind you of "American Gothic", because of the character development, sort of an "American Gothic" meets "Star Trek Next Generation". Hopefully, they will continue with this group of characters and not dilute it with a constant onslaught of new characters like "Farscape" - if you missed a few episodes, it was as though the entire cast changed. I have high hopes and will be easy to find on Tuesday night.

A nice place to visit

Author: ridgebottom from United States
26 July 2006

Eureka is never going to be remembered as a "classic" or "groundbreaking" SF show. It could, however, be remembered as one of the more charming and offbeat SF shows to come along in a while. It is a bit slippery to classify, but my best description of "Eureka" is kind of "Northern Exposure" for SF fans.

"Eureka" has thus far been family-friendly light adventure with its humor coming from the quirky nature of the brilliant scientist locals and the "fish out of water" experiences of new sheriff Jack Carter and his teenage daughter, Zoe.

Those tuning in to see traditional SF--where speculative fiction and profound "what if" moments rule the course of the show--will be disappointed. There won't be many serious examinations of the impact of new technologies here. The tech is secondary, actually tertiary. The odd characters are the focus of the show. Second to that is the weekly mystery. "How can the tech-ignorant sheriff learn to work with the ample supply of local geniuses to save the day?" Finally, comes the tech. And when tech is dealt with, it reminds me of vintage Geordi la Forge technobabble. I swear that someone was going to "reverse the flow of the graviton emitters." So, "Eureka" is not great SF. Nor is it great drama. Nor is it side-splitting comedy. It is instead an amiable and lightweight mix of the three. Eureka is not at all unlike "Northern Exposure's" Cicely, Alaska. It is a very pleasant place to visit once a week.

Very Original

Author: kelleybyes from Colorado
5 September 2006

Excellent cast of veritable unknowns. I really like Colin Ferguson in the role of the sheriff and there are enough other interesting characters that they could go many different ways with plots and story lines. I was surprised at how they have added so many twists so far to the show, being that it is about a town of scientists. You would think they could only go so far with this theme, but the writers are doing a great job of keeping it exciting and fresh so far. They have also added a great human element to the show, dealing with the sheriff and his relationship with his daughter, Zoe. And you gotta love his house! If you are a sci-fi fan and you haven't seen it yet, catch up!

Great Show

Author: Robert W. Anderson (bayareabob@mac.com) from United States
13 September 2006

This is a great little show to originate on such a small network. I've watched it since the debut and there hasn't been a bad episode yet. They all have been good. The writing is very good, and so is the execution. There are a number of veteran actors in this, including Colin Furguson, whose really good as the reluctant sheriff of the town of Eureka. Eureka is very eccentric little town (they don't say what state), apparently designed as a haven for cutting edge, and eccentric, scientists. The characters are well drawn, so you find yourself caring what happens to them. It's a good combination of science fiction, and light humor. Furguson anchors all the actors, and is a source of a lot of the humor.

If you like your Sci-fi..........

Author: Stan Reeves from United States
2 August 2006

Having seen the first three episodes, I can say that the Sci-Fi Channel has a great series on its hand. The shows are entertaining funny (in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way) and original. Colin Ferguson is great as the new Sheriff and other cast members seen elsewhere fit in nicely. The story lines have been original and NO-been there-seen that episodes come to mind. I'm not sure why IMDb has not posted the names of the stars as the series is no longer in production and is currently airing and even the Colin Ferguson page on IMDb does not list this show in his credits.(?)

So if you like your sci-fi with a little humor and some genuine caring about the characters, its hard to find a more worthy show than EUReKA!

I will watch it weekly

Author: Karen_Wright from United States
2 August 2006

I watched the pilot twice to make sure I hadn't missed anything. The characters are exactly that; characters. Each week the actor(s) using the script brings more out in the character making the episode something to look forward to. The science fiction is well written and looks like it can be extended into reality someday. In my opinion that is what makes good sci fi. So much of what was written in the past has come true or is coming true in our lifetime. The special effects are well thought out and presented. The plots combine sci fi with humanity and the continuity from week to week is present but does not make the viewer feel that they are watching a soap opera and have to watch the next episode in order to find out what is going to happen. Still, I look forward to each episode to find out how the over all story is going to evolve. This appears to be a program with staying powers.

This one will grow on you.

Author: Ronnie from Salt Lake City, UT
28 July 2006

I think this is a series that will grow on you as you watch it. The characters build up and the show is entertaining to me. This show rolls up the science fiction that I watched growing up only on a more sophisticated level. I like the series so fare. I hope that it will last more than one season. However, because I like it means it probably wont last. you will have to watch it for yourself. It has been better than watching re-runs on the traditional channels which aren't worth watching. The characters are very interesting and I wonder who is on the 'bad' side for the series. This also has some elements of dark comedy.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]