IMDb > The Black Pimpernel (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Black Pimpernel

The Black Pimpernel More at IMDbPro »

Fantastic Movie! Absolutely Great!

Author: henrikhenkebenke from Sweden
29 September 2007

This movie is really good and I strongly recommend it! It has a realistic feel over it(I know, The Sweds speak English to each other

but frankly I don't care, and Im Swedish)!

Harald Edelstam was a true hero and its all very clear in this film.

Sometimes it could be difficult to understand but it not that often.

So if you feel like seeing a really good movie, go see this one! Its an

Important movie who shows the heroic deeds of a true hero.

Its actually one of the best Swedish films i've ever seen! Finally the Swed's know how to make a big screen movie!

Its worth the money.

Disappointing Pimpernel

Author: stensson from Stockholm, Sweden
22 September 2007

Harald Edelstam was ambassador of Sweden in Chile during the Pinochet rebellion. He saved many people from the junta and also took considerable personal risks. He's worth a movie.

But a better one than this. First, it's always ridiculous hearing Swedes talking English to each other. That makes the picture less trustworthy from the beginning. Second, it's not very well acted and the characters are very square. This is more of a drama for TV than for a big screen.

It's a pity, because this is an important subject about morality and personal responsibility. But you don't get interested.

An important story of courage for our times

Author: Suzanne Duarte from Amsterdam, Netherlands
23 February 2008

The Black Pimpernel was a surprise to me because it is a rare (and true) story of political courage. An unconventional and savvy Swedish ambassador driven by a sense of justice seeks to save lives during the fascist coup in Chile that replaces Salvador Allende with Augusto Pinochet. The ambassador places the Cuban embassy under the protection of the Swedish embassy, gives refuge to hundreds of people, helps some get out of the country, and falls in love with a female revolutionary. He takes risks no ordinary diplomatic functionary would take, uses his diplomatic immunity to smuggle people to safety, enters dangerous zones controlled by soldiers and challenges them, risking his own life. Ambassador Edelstam seemed to know exactly what to do in dealing with the new fascist regime. His unwavering courage and allegiance to human rights and decency is comparable to that of William Wiburforce, the abolitionist in the movie Amazing Grace. The Black Pimpernel was perfectly believable and kept my partner and I on the edge of our seats.

Was Ana in Germany?

Author: gareththackeray from United Kingdom
1 June 2008

OK I just watched this (in Costa Rica - I'm glad the Swedes spoke English to each other but I forgot that the Spanish would not get subtitled in English! Fortunately there wasn't too much Spanish that was very important to the plot) and maybe I'm dumb but there were a couple of things I didn't quite understand.

Ana knew about the Harald's past in Germany in the war. And it seemed to be indicated that she was or knew the daughter of the opera singer that Harald had been having a relationship with. Is this the case? And if not, then what was all that about? Secondly, how did Harald know about Ana's father being the colonel? Any answers appreciated.