IMDb > "Peace Maker Kurogane" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Peace Maker Kurogane" More at IMDbPro »

A great series about the side that would lose in the Meiji Revolution/Restoration.

Author: SoulfulFX from Virginia
29 September 2006

'Peacemaker' has that great combination of action and history that made a series like 'Rurouni Kenshin' so appealing. We follow the journey of Tetsunosuke and his older brother Tatsunosuke as they use their affiliation with the Shinsengumi to survive and avenge their parents' slaughter at the hands of a Choshu clansman.

As 'Kenshin' follows the exploits of a swordsman from the Imperialist point of view, 'Peacemaker' takes the Shinsengumi's side with timely introductions of the characters Hijikata, Okita (a man by the way), Saito, Sanosuke, Sakamoto, Hondo, etc... Though some of the personalities are exaggerated, they do follow the reputations of the historical figures... Hijikata's coldness, Okita's frailness, Saito's aloofness and friendship with Okita, Sanosuke's gruffness, etc...

There is a sort of love story running through the show, but it seems to be more of a counterbalance to the "demon-making" that the Shinsengumi seem to be attributed with...as well as Tetsu's sense of revenge.

All in all, this series is fantastic... it may be the next one I purchase altogether

Shinsengumi as the good guys

Author: mmushrm from Thailand
27 July 2012

This series is about a boy who joins the Shinsengumi in a bid to avenge his family's murder and in the process finds himself.

Given the above, the Shinsengumi are cast as the good guys as opposed to their usual portrayal as blood thirsty fanatics. It becomes the other side that are now portrayed as fanatics.

All th characters in the Shinsengumi are portrayed opposite to their usual portrayal. In fact it seems like most of the time its a bunch of lads banding together for a laugh.

And laughter there is, there are episodes which are quite amusing with comedy elements. The artwork is well rendered and consistent throughout. There is violence, rather bloody and some rather mature themes. In fact I was surprise that it brought out the idea of "shudo" (the jokes of which were pretty hilarious)

The series was entertaining although I feel that there were too many loose ends in terms of unexplained characters and the super natural story arc that abruptly ends.

Souji Okita Peacemaker Kurogane

Author: shonen-ai from Canada
3 November 2007

Just to let any one who is unsure, know Souji Okita was not a woman. He was a man.

And I happened to like the voice actor they chose. I have watched the movie in both English and Japanese and I thought that the voice actors added their own bits to the character. A lot of the time if you watch a series one way and then watch it another its often the first way that you viewed it that you tend to prefer. The one thing I didn't understand was in the first two episodes Susumu's English voice didn't have an accent then all of a sudden come episode three he did. What was up with that? But anyway, I think that compared with peacemaker and kenshin ova it depicted souji the closest to the way he was in history.

Great series, marred slightly by poor choices in voice-actors

Author: Azrael--1 from Kentucky, USA
13 May 2006

First off, I really enjoyed this series. I have to preface with that so that I don't feel too bad pointing out the things I found disappointing. I remember seeing the series just after it came out, and have been waiting patiently to see it on DVD (since this rarely happens with Fan-subs). But lo, and behold, here it is! Congrats guys! Now for the caveats: This is not the gore-fest it advertises. I'm not saying that there's no violence. No no, there's plenty of blood and gore, but over the course of the 24 episode series you really only have a handful of good bloody battles. Personally I don't think this mars the storyline at all, in fact the story builds itself to the point where I was more interested in seeing more character development than another fight. But if you're wanting a gore-fest, go somewhere else.

And I was disappointed by the voice-actor chosen for the role of Souji, the female captain of the group. I'm not saying that she did a bad job, but when I saw this for the first time it was in Japanese with subtitles. The English dubbed voice-overs completely change the char of Souji into a somewhat androgynous character, and make her hard to relate to, mostly because you spend most of the first several episode playing "Guess that Gender".

However, aside from those two caveats, I highly recommend this series! Great story, great dialog, and a real attempt at telling a great yard in an unconventional way!