IMDb > Death at a Funeral (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Death at a Funeral

Death at a Funeral More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Who knew a funeral could be so funny?

Author: JenZC from United States
22 June 2007

A midget, hallucinogenic drugs, homosexuality, sibling rivalry, nudity, and a funeral come together in riotous chaotic harmony in Death at a Funeral. The films story unfolds in the span of an afternoon and despite the short duration of plot Frank Oz, directory, endears us to the characters with witty and realistic dialog. What better setting than a funeral to highlight the humor and irony of life? The characters' mourning is completely relatable because it isn't overwrought or melodramatic and is thus all the more genuine.

Family turmoil overshadows the funeral and propels the characters into awkward but hilarious situations. The film does not forget it takes place during a funeral and by the end a heartfelt eulogy is delivered in spite of the lunacy surrounding it.

The humor is just dry enough to complement the somewhat dark comedy but not so dry that it alienates the audience.

I haven't laughed this much at a film in a very long time...especially a film about a funeral.

Nearly Died Laughing

Author: Kristen Kallahan from Seattle WA USA
27 June 2007

I went to this screening expecting it to be a serious movie -- you don't expect to be laughing at a movie with both "Death" and "Funeral" in the title -- but this film was hilarious! It wasn't just me -- the theater was full of people screaming with laughter and clapping at various moments.

Alan Tudyk is hilarious every moment he is on screen. Finally this underrated actor has gotten a good-sized part where he can show off his comedy skills.

Most of the actors are British and I did not recognize them, but they were excellent.

One I recognized was Jane Asher (she was Paul McCartney's girlfriend in the 60s -- he shoulda married her -- she's still alive and she's not a gold-digger). She plays the very composed widow here. (Oddly she has fewer creases on her face than her middle-aged sons.)

This film reminded me a bit of "Four Weddings and a Funeral", but even more of those British madcap black comedies of the 60s with Alec Guinness or Peter Sellers.

Highbrow meets lowbrow: results in laughter

Author: StacyScrip from L.A.
6 June 2007

I saw this at a screening and I had a rousing good time. It starts with a chuckle in the opening credits and slowly builds to spotty laughter, belly laughs, and loud groaning silliness. This is British farce with an expert ensemble cast. Everyone hits their marks and a couple go completely overboard and over-broad (Mr. Vaughn, we're looking at you.) Tudyk and Dinklage have the showiest parts and they feast on them. The rest of the cast is inspired and spot on.

It's a delightful combination of highbrow meeting lowbrow and everything in between. A dash of wit and charm mixed in with a few genuine surprises. A few old tropes are trotted out but there is a bit of backspin on them. If you want a laugh, go!

Very funny is a gently twisted British way

Author: ejev from Rhode Island
19 August 2007

I wasn't quite sure what to expect out of this, even though I had enjoyed the trailer in the theater. There had been some comments about cruel humor, which I just didn't see. The story was well structured, with groundwork laid early on for very funny bits much later in the film that got us laughing hard without hitting us over the head with the joke. The moments of comic tension were good, without that excruciating sense that someone was going to be horribly embarrassed, or hurt, or whatever, that American films seem to have. The situation is very well known to everyone who's been to a family funeral, although in America we would have the service in a funeral home or church, and we've all had moments when we want to laugh at the wrong time, or notice something a little out of the ordinary in the service that seems to cry out for comment. My husband, 14 year old daughter and I enjoyed the film immensely, and we all gave it an 8 out of 10, with some good carryover lines to quote amongst ourselves. Go see it, enjoy, and leave the political correctness at home.

Fantastic!

Author: sgwdem
12 July 2007

I found this to be the funniest movie that I've seen in ages. We saw it today (July 12th) in Herzliya, Israel at the local movie theater at the mall.

There were only 8 people in the whole audience, and my husband and I filled the room with howls of laughter.

The actors are fabulous, especially Alan Tudyk, Khris Marshall, Andy Nyman, Peter Dinklage, and Daisy Donovan. Actually, the whole ensemble was great.

Especially Alan Tudyk keeps his frenetic performance absolutely hysterically funny, throughout most of the film!

Free of Hollywood hype, this film was a pleasure.

The wackiest Funeral you'll ever witness.

One of the years best comedies

Author: Stephan from Germany
10 July 2007

I watched this movie yesterday at a pre-screening in Berlin. Without knowing what to expect I went there with a friend. When we came out of the theater, we've had tears in our eyes - it was just too hilarious! I haven't laughed that much in a movie for quite a while. If you love black-humor, "Death at a funeral" is definitely a must-see movie! It's full of bizarre scenes (partly earthy though, nevertheless funny), great cast (especially Alan Tudyk, who's having quite a lot of laughs on his side) and the script is so awesome! Dean Craig has done an excellent job by writing it, Frank Oz by directing one of the year's best comedy movies! You won't regret watching it!

quality humour

Author: Catalina Paraschivescu from Bucharest, Romania
18 November 2007

It's been ages since I had such a good time enjoying a movie. While other movies about dysfunctional families are so dramatic and serious, Death at a Funeral makes things brighter and funnier even at a funeral. The characters are not complex, but various - an accidentally drugged men, a hurting widow, a famous writer and his brother who cannot escape the other one's glorious shade, a hypochondric young men, a sever father, a sour old men, a homosexual blackmailer... and much, much chaos. This antithesis between life, with its different forms of manifestation, and death makes Death at a Funeral a juicy mild-black comedy.

Very good British farce

Author: Rocket-Pictures from United Kingdom
20 July 2007

It's been a while since there's been a genuinely good British farce, but this one pressed all the right buttons. Memorable performances from Andy Nyman playing neurotic fool Howard and straight man Matthew MacFadyen make this a real crowd pleaser. Comedy is edgy enough for teens to enjoy although overall it will probably appeal to slightly older audiences. It would be great if this could do a Four Weddings. Only downer is the miscasting of the drug dealing brother who seems far too middle class and unrealistic for role. And the 'drug' joke seems to go on a bit. Uncle Alfie is an absolute hoot and script is generally full of some really good gags.

Don't be turned off by the title.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
15 September 2007

When the subject of great comedies comes up for discussion, this movie must be included. What a funny movie! Normally any movie that includes the word "death" in the title is a movie that is implicitly telling the audience to beware, it's going to be morbid. Well, this movie is not only not morbid, it is hilarious, not just in a black-comedy way, but in a straightforward matter that uses a funeral as the basis for generating some very funny scenes. The movie contains no morbidity. Rather, it is like an extended sitcom that portrays various people acting very silly and goofy. Everyone in this movie was funny, and one should not be turned off by the title because although death is a serious subject that should not be treated lightly, the movie really isn't about death at all, but actually about life and how silly and crazy people can act when the situation presents itself.

Death at a Funeral: humor before the grave.

Author: mgoldhamer from United States
14 June 2007

The laughs begin during the animated credits which prepares the film going public for the buffoonery to follow. Death at a Funeral (DaaF) is directed by Frank Oz. Because of the nature of this film I believe Mr. Oz is paying homage to the late, great, director, Robert Altman, particularly his film A Wedding. Both A Wedding and DaaF are both off beat, extremely, funny, and very non-typical of weddings and funerals, in which they both portray. In tribute to Mr. Altman, Mr. Oz also uses an ensemble cast of well known actors by face but not by name. The audience has seen their work and in this film they most definitely make you laugh. This is an adult comedy with an R rating for adult themes, nudity, recreational drug use, religious issues, postmortem issues, and the absurdity about death. Remember this is an adult comic opera taken to the extreme. At this funeral the mourners may come with their inhabitation's in check but due to the outlandish antics of many of the other grievous members assembled, all of the gathered, loose all claim to sanity. The audience becomes one with the collected zany members of this grieving group. Since the players on film have lost their inhabitation's so to does the audience. Remember this is an adult, knee slapping, laugh out loud farce. This film is outrageously funny, in an adult vein, not intended for children. If you go to a sporting event, after you have paid for your ticket and bought your seat, people around you cheer, yell, scream and sometimes even in funny costumes as well. A film house is the same communally shared type of experience and environment for entertainment but patrons of the silver screen tend to hold their laughter within, as of being afraid of upsetting the patron in the next seat. Is it not time to unshackle this age old concept and enjoy yourself along with others? I am certain that is the reason why Frank Oz made this film, so the audience could laugh and laugh at themselves. I personally want to thank you Mr. Oz for the laughter and the comedy of Death at a Funeral.

Page 1 of 20:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]