IMDb > Georgia Rule (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Pleasantly Surprised

Author: ksujessi19 from United States
5 August 2007

This movie was a complete surprise! I had heard the worst reviews and when I watched it I was happily surprised. Love her or hate her Lindsey Lohan can act. I agree with others that say this movie was badly advertised. It is definitely not a light comedy, but deals with a real issue of sexual abuse. Lohan's acting makes the watcher laugh, cry, and ask yourself if she really just said that. She makes all those around her shine. I'm tired of the same old movies making it big on screen just because they are the stereotypical feel good comedies. This is finally an original movie with an original screenplay. If you are tired of copycat movies you should watch this one. Thumbs up!

Great movie - Great Cast - Bad Marketing

Author: rwilliams-32 from United States
16 May 2007

Once again Hollywood marketing has classified a heartfelt drama as a rip roaring comedy. Georgia Rule is no laughing matter, but it is a powerful, worthwhile movie with an outstanding cast. Forget all the critic's reviews -- they don't "get it".

The opening is a little slow but it accurately portrays the strained relationships and secrets in this family. Fonda and Huffman are brilliant and so is Lohan. Given the press surrounding Lohan during the filming, my expectations were pretty low and I was very surprised at how good she was and how good the movie was.

It's a great movie to open dialog with your Mom or your resident teenager. Take the R rating seriously - it's a mature chick flick - one of the best.

Garry Marshall did a good job at handling a heavy subject. There are a couple of laughs along the way for comedy relief, but this is a movie that will stay with you. Go see it.

Good film - misleading trailer

Author: Larry Dishman from McKinney, TX
11 May 2007

Audiences can rebel and demand money back for numerous reasons. Viewers certainly do not like being misled by a trailer.

Georgia Rule is a prime example of an ill-marketed flick. Truth be told, I don't know how anyone could market the film. Is Georgia Rule without merit? Absolutely not! Is it a quirky comedy peopled by foreigners from California mixing with the quirky locals? Yes. Is it a slapstick comedy with clever comebacks? Yes. WHAT'S THE PROBLEM??? Quirky and clever comprise at the most 15 minutes of the film. Here is a serious drama about a family disintegrating because of communication problems and damaging behavior. Slowly the onion peels before the unsuspecting town (and the audience too). Long hidden problems drive squirm-inducing behavior on the part of the three female protagonists. The supporting cast, whether villains or heroes, perform wonders with roles better fleshed out than expected. The photography immerses watchers into small-town Idaho and its natural beauty. The score is unobtrusive - good. Now to the big stuff: · this script by Mark Andrus is another of his studies in deception, distrust, sex and revenge. None of these subjects is softened - the full impact of behaviors is up front and in-your-face but the characters seem real - these are not clichés. · I did not expect such a weighty film from Garry Marshall. He doesn't shy away from the material. He trusts his leads to get the job done. · And they deliver. Felicity Huffman walks a line as deftly as a tightrope walker. Her pain and confusion are very visible without being melodramatic or overwrought. Jane Fonda has a more difficult role - her Georgia barely reveals anything. Her every fiber tenses with control - you can almost hear her jaw clenching as she watches her daughter and granddaughter with disbelief. The surprise for me was Lindsay Lohan. A wise viewer would do well to set aside all the stories about her behavior during the making of this movie: what she delivered was simply amazing. Her character, Rachel, wears her demons on what few clothes surround her body. Miss Lohan's facial expressions veer wildly from vulnerability to defiance to dismay to anger and everything in between. The three ladies who carry Georgia Rule may fight it out come Oscar time. As for the film, I can't recommend it if only because of the subject matter.

A Great Family Drama

Author: tabuno from utah
18 May 2007

Sometimes a movie comes around that has important subject matter to present. Georgia Rules is an unpretentious, entertaining, and realistic look at child abuse and the way that in really impacts individuals. Lindsay Lohan gives a wonderful performance with dynamic and authentic emotions. Some may see stereotypical, melodrama, but on the surface, this movie hits just the right level of performance and entertainment, and handles its material in a sensitive but not overly dramatic way like serious, independent movies do. The collision of city and rural cultures is palpable. The religious subtext is touched on with care. The acting and script is natural and believable when taken in the context of the situation and counseling standpoint. Instead of gritty, hard core, raw movie, this is a great movie that makes its point with naturalism and almost a breezy, entertaining perspective without glossing over the serious nature of its topic. The issues of trust, communication, betrayal, and values are all well presented. Nine out of Ten Stars.

It wasn't what I thought it was going to be...

Author: LaurenRachel87 from United States
14 June 2007

I won't lie--this was not the best movie I've ever seen, but it was pretty darn good. I didn't really expect much from Lohan but she actually blew me away. My one gripe about Lohan was her age portrayal. It was hard to believe she was seventeen with a smoker's rasp and second-skin jeans. Fonda on the other hand... not her best work, she was completely generic. Huffman's performance was humorous, although a little dark. Her alcoholism is pretty believable except the antibuse thing. The movie was amusing and the unexpected plot twist kept me stringing along for the duration of the movie trying to figure it all out, but not in a frustrating way. Overall I think this movie was far better than expected and totally enjoyable.

Well, that was unexpected

Author: snippetchick from Australia
13 May 2007

This movie was NOT marketed appropriately. At all.

I went into the cinema expecting a light, cliché, feel-good movie. What I saw was much more serious than expected. While it did have some humour, mostly it was a fairly hard-hitting look at the effects of child sexual abuse and the consequences of the abuse coming out into the open.

The performances in the movie were all pretty solid. Lohan really shone in this role. Early on in the movie, I thought it really seemed as though she was essentially playing herself, especially after hearing about her various antics off-screen. She really did well in this role.

Georgia Rule

Author: Raj Doctor from Amsterdam, Netherlands
4 October 2007

When I saw this movie's trailer, I was not at all impressed by it. When I read the IMDb reviews, same was the case. The advertisements and marketing of this movie also seemed lackluster. Yet, I went to see the movie because in one of the reviews I read it was about "child molestation".

The movie is the story of three women – grandmother Georgia (Jane Fonda), daughter Lilly (Felicity Hoffman) and granddaughter Rachael (Lindsay Lohan). Seventeen years old Rachael has grown up to be a liar, loose character, rebel, ill-mannered etc. Lilly decides to leave Rachael with Georgia in one of the small towns of Idaho – hoping that Rachael will learn some good things from her grandmother. There are funny moments between religious Georgia and rebellious Rachael. Soon Rachael discloses that she was sexually molested by her stepfather Arnold (Cary Elwes), and this becomes the intrinsic turning point in the movie. Rachael keeps on changing her statements every now and then. Is Rachael telling the truth or lying? That forms the remaining story.

The character of Rachael was very puzzling to begin with. Being careless, sexually active, liar, outspoken, rebellious made us cringe to begin with. But as the story progressed, the character with such weirdness looked so real and acceptable.

All the actresses acted well – Jane Fonda, Felicity Hoffman but this very talented Lindsay Lohan captures the show - all in all. Hats off to Director Garry Marshall for bringing such a women's issue on the forefront and touch such a delicate topic out in the front fore.

The landscape of Idaho is capture miraculously. Some reviewer disagreed with the overly religious bent of Idaho people, but I think that does not matter – one need not take such small things to heart. It is just a story and as projecting as being non-religious is a non-issue, so projected being religious should be.

Overall, a welcome experience of an "under-the-carpet" subject – of child molestation – treated with not so much heaviness and darkness.

(Stars 7.5 out of 10)

The Difference Between Truth and Lie

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
13 January 2008

The rebel, reckless and spoiled teenager Rachel Wilcox (Lindsay Lohan) travels from San Francisco to the conservative Mormon Hull, Idaho, with her alcoholic mother Lily (Felicity Huffman) to spend the summer with her grandmother Georgia (Jane Fonda). Rachel and Lily have a troubled relationship and Georgia follows severe rules at her home. While with Georgia, Rachel reveals a traumatic secret from her past that explains her rebelliousness and brings her mother back to Idaho to check whether her daughter is telling the truth.

The screenplay of "Georgia Rule" is unusual, beginning with comedy but developing in a touching drama related to child abuse and relationship among three generations of the same family. The lead female characters are dysfunctional: Rachel lies, uses drugs and booze and behaves like a slut, with no sense of morality; her mother Lily is an alcoholic woman; and her grandmother Georgia does not express her love with her tough rules. The story is engaging, funny in many moments and heartbreaking in others, and shows the importance of the truth, no matter how painful it is, and family bonds to help to supersede problems and difficulties. The gorgeous Lindsay Lohan and Felicity Huffman are amazing, but Jane Fonda performs a strange but fair character. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Ela é A Poderosa" ("She is The Powerful")

It's pretty good, the ending just flopped though

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
6 September 2007

I'm not sure why I decided to rent Georgia Rule, but I guess you could just color me intrigued since this is the film that I heard where Lindsay Lohan caused all that trouble on being late constantly or not showing up on set. I really had no idea what this movie was about, but I watched it last night expecting probably an over the top chick flick, but actually it wasn't bad. Over all I would say that the story was very good and the actors did a good job, I mean say what you want about Lindsay, she is a good actress you have to admit. The only thing I was a bit disappointed with was the ending, but I'm not going to give that away, it's something you'll just have to see for yourselves. But the rest of the story was really good, funny at times, and very touching.

Rachel is a young trouble maker from California coming to Idaho to see her grandmother, Georgia, and stay with her for the summer. Rachel already stirs up quite a bit of trouble around the town when she messes around with a Christian boy, she makes the moves on a widowed man, and the fact that she is very blunt about things. But things take a different turn when she tells Simon, the widower and her boss, that she was molested by her step dad. He tells Georgia and Georgia calls her daughter, Rachel's alcoholic mother, Lily, comes to find out if that's the truth or not, Rachel for once doesn't wanna cause trouble and tells her mom it's all a lie. Georgia won't tolerate this though, she knows there's something wrong and has to let Rachel know that there are people there who love her and remind her the difference between right and wrong.

The story was really good I think, some of the characters could have used a little more developing, but it still worked. Was it a chick flick? Oh, yeah. But I think this is one of those rare one's that I don't mind. The girls did a great job on acting, so did Dermot Mulroney who played Simon. The ending was just a bit flat and I felt like there could have been a better conclusion, but you'll see if you watch it. But I would recommend it if you are just looking for a fun little flick for the afternoon. Georgia Rule is a good movie that will make you laugh and will touch your heart.

Garry Marshall brings another emotional and moving story to screen

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
29 May 2007

I suppose ultimately my expectations weren't high going into Georgia Rule considering the lack luster reviews by critics and the ongoing poor press of it's young star Lindsay Lohan but I forgot one key element...the director. Garry Marshall is brilliant!! He has done some of the most entertaining films in history including my personal favorite The Princess Diaries, as well as Pretty Woman, Beaches and a host of absolutely classic Television shows. Marshall has a way of capturing reality, he has a way of making us fall in love with his characters and be riveted by their lives and what happens to them. He just makes his films come alive and Georgia Rule is no exception to Marshall's rule. The film is a little more gritty and dark, perhaps a little more adult than what Marshall usually delves into but that being said it still has it's charm, it still has a dark, twisted humor to it and it still has Hector Elizondo (who Marshall likes to cameo or feature in his films.) The cast is brought together very well and everyone works well together in it and you love being a part of the daily routine of the small town. There is enough drama, emotion, comedy, and overall scenes of pure joy to make this a good movie.

I'll start with Jane Fonda. As famous as she is this is only the second movie I've ever seen her in...the first was Monster-In-Law and I became an instant fan of hers. Her comic timing, her character and her performance was downright brilliant. In this turn she is Georgia, a firm and dedicated woman who lives on her own and but is well known to the townspeople. She has a set way to do things and no one is going to tell her otherwise. Georgia is terrific...the perfect match for Fonda and does a great job. Fonda is such a talented actress and Hollywood elite and she lights up the screen and yet still comes across as this down home, lovable character. My only complaint is that she wasn't used more in the film than she was. Felicity Huffman, I became a big fan of after watching the brilliant film Transamerica where she played a man wanting to go through the transformation into a woman...her performance was amazing. In Georgia Rule she plays the daughter of Jane Fonda's Georgia, Lilly. Now Lilly hasn't always appreciated her mother's firm nature and has had a rough go of it battling alcoholism, two marriages and her wild and uncontrollable daughter. Huffman isn't the forefront of the story but she adds a lot of emotion to her role. Her battle with alcoholism and her daughter and her estranged second husband give way to some very powerful moments. She is a great actress. And now we tread lightly into the world of the recently arrested Miss Lindsay Lohan. We all heard she was nearly fired from this film for her wild ways and I mean her role in this film must strike so close to home it hurts. As Rachel, Lohan plays a confused and messed up post high school graduate who likes her recreational drugs, drinking and random sexual encounters. She doesn't want to listen to so called 'authority figures' and thinks her life is just fine but she's hiding a devastating secret. Lohan I thought overall was good...she didn't match the performances of her senior performers but to go up against Jane Fonda is pretty impressive. She has some great lines and she definitely pulls off the firecracker role very well. Also on the plus side she looks relatively healthy considering her real life health issues as of late. Dermot Mulroney is also very good and actually shows some life to his usually rather dull performances as local Doctor/Veterinarian Simon. Simon becomes almost like a father figure to Rachel and is the one to really bring her back around to coming to terms with herself and her issues. Mulroney is a good addition to the cast. Cary Elwes rounds out the cast as Rachel's stepfather and Garrett Hedlund as her love interest. Elwes is appropriately normal looking but still becomes the villain in a different way and you want to see him get his just end. Hedlund is okay as the naive and love struck Harlan. He comes across as a bit of a dolt which is okay but ultimately you don't want the main romantic interest to be downright stupid. Naive is one thing.

Despite it's serious content (the film is about sexual abuse and coming-of-age in a different sort of way...something director Garry Marshall does with style always) the film has some genuinely funny moments. I wouldn't hesitate to see this film again because there was something charming about it and ultimately it did have it's happy ending although my one big complaint is that Cary Elwes' character never truly gets what's coming to him. I wanted to see Lohan take her aggressions out on him. However the scene with Jane Fonda's Georgia hitting him with the bat is priceless. This film is a classic I think and will go far despite critics and dollar signs. See it!! You'll enjoy it!! 8.5/10

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]