IMDb > Emelet (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Emelet More at IMDbPro »

Dry trip into Kafkaesque world

Author: Weredegu from Hungary
28 January 2007

I can definitely recommend this 'dry trip into a Kafkaesque world' if you like the genre (if one can call it a genre). The unfolding is very rewarding (in a sense) if you sit through the at times too-well-edited first part which just shows that successful film-making actually requires doing some things wrong. For there's nothing wrong with this first part,other than that it is just a bit mechanically perfect and thus reduces actors' chances to shine through (and there is enough talent in the Hoffmann/Haumann family and among the rest of the cast for that to be a bit of a mistake). But then I would also point to how well the whole movie looks and sounds, which already is rewarding enough to enjoy watching. It's a bit of an obscenity, but yes, great production values indeed.

For I would have liked to see the workings of the Kafkaesque pseudo-democracy, that the plot is set in, a bit better elaborated (and perhaps to see it resemble something from our contemporary world at least vaguely), and since the first part of the film could have done with a bit more dynamism, my vote is 8.