IMDb > Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior (2006) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Wendy Wu is The TV Martial Arts Movie of the Year

Author: burtcannjr from United States
16 June 2006

This movie was a joy to see. An interesting story line with great action scenes. It should rank with The Cheetah Girls, High School Musical, and other successful Disney Channel films. Though some of the special effects were not the best (what can you expect with a TV movie) it still showed effort.It also showed the amazing acting skills of The Joy Luck Club star Tsai Chin playing the grandmother of Wendy. The true amazement was shown by Disney Channel veteran but not yet star Brenda Song. Her wonderful acting in this film will take her to new heights in the Disney Corporation. Shin Koyamada playing the very religious yet heartthrob monk-trainer Shen was also a good choice for the role. I hope that you will take my advice and make an effort to see this movie. I am sure you wont regret it.

A very enjoyable movie

Author: shawnacourtney from United States
17 June 2006

Wendy Wu Homecoming Warrior was a delightful movie to watch and it was so much fun! I usually don't enjoy kung-fu Jackie Chan type movies, but this was completely different. They blended the kung fu fighting in with plain fun high school life and laugh out loud moments creating a very satisfying experience. And, if that wasn't good enough, Brenda Song does a wonderful acting job and comes off very likable and real. This is a great movie for adults and kids alike, there is nothing inappropriate that I could see, which I was very happy about, and I was not afraid to sit and watch it with my parents. This (second only to High School Musical) is the best Disney movie I have seen in a long time! A great film.

Good.

Author: aleenamokoia from United States
18 June 2006

I thought that this movie was very good. The martial arts were great and the story line well thought out.

However like all movies there is a weak point. The story line was very thought out but a little rushed and unsure. Other than that it is very well done.

The acting was also good the characters shined and it was easy to see that they had a good time on set. The setting was also beautiful as alway in new Zelion.

The movie aired only a little while ago ,but I assure that if you like martial arts, magic monsters, or you just like Brenda Song you will enjoy this enchanting story.

Not bad at all, definitely worth a look

Author: oneheartway2005 from United States
16 June 2006

I would definitely give this at least one try before saying no. Granted there are several of the "matrix" type of effects, but there are also a great deal of legitimate martial arts moves and much of it is very well choreographed and well done. At some parts the stunt doubles are more obvious than others, but that is to be expected.

This movie does hit on a very poignant topic in todays society...too many children (and all too often their parents) do NOT have enough of an idea of their history. We spend too much time living up to cultural stereotypes and then getting angry at producers for showing them to us. I do wish there had been a little more legitimate focus of some Chineese history and perhaps more about the monastery life and such, since those were supposed to be large parts of the movie...but it is only a 2 hour movie made for TV. I do hope it brings home the point that many of us do not know ourselves as well as we really should.

Definitely worth watching.

The movie's definitely worth watching! ^_^

Author: Susan from Georgia, United States
16 June 2006

I've always been a fan of kung fu kind of movies, and this movie really surprised me. For something off of Disney this movie felt totally geared towards teens or at least the older children group. There was a lot of humor in this and Disney did not cheat us out of special effects. It was pretty neat that they got Shin Koyamada ('The Last Samurai')to play in this movie and the plot of the story was very original. Normal Teenage girl finds out she's the next warrior to fight for good and tries to escape her fate at first. She gives in for training and does what she has to do basically, all while trying to win the title of Homecoming Queen. I loved it basically! ^_^ It's worth sitting down to watch!

love it!!

Author: algebrahater89 from United States
24 June 2006

THis movie is great!!!Every time i start watching it i have to see it all!!!I don't know much about Chinese culture, but from what i learned here it makes me more intrigued!!it was about time Brenda Song got her own movie, because she is far more talented and pretty than the other actresses out there!!It was pure entertainment and i just love the fighting scenes!!!!!I want to kick butt like Wendy Wu!!!The story in itself is original and the chemistry between wendy and shen is seen as soon as they become friends!!!i love how it unfolds. So it's for kids, so what??i like it and i'm sure my mom would find it funny!!I'ts about time Disney showed somebody's elses point of view, instead of the caucasian in America!!With Gotta Kick it Up, they showed the latinos in the San Fernando Valley and that was as good as it got!!Don't expect Disney to show the whole culture, but a little touch of it is lovely, just like this tight movie!!

Who knew Brenda Song could kick major butt?!

Author: beccad90 from United States
23 December 2006

Brenda Song is probably best known for being London Tipton, the dimwitted daughter of a wealthy hotel owner in The Suite Life of Zach & Cody. She proves in this film she can do more than be a pretty face! She said in a behind the scenes documentary for this film that she took karate classes as a child (even though she wanted to do ballet) and the really paid off! She kicks major booty in this DCOM.

The Basic Plot: Wendy Wu (Song) is a young lady hopeful of being Homecoming queen, but it is not until a young monk (Shin Koyomada) reveals to her that she is part of a prophecy...and that an evil force has been released and it is her duty to bring it down...but Wendy will have to hang up her prom gown and her hopes of becoming homecoming queen as well...

This is unlike any DCOM I've ever seen! Amazing special effects and martial arts choreography. I give it and 8/10

pretty good

Author: iluvtoscream3 from United States
17 June 2006

this movie is OK definitely not one of the best DCOM but it was pretty good some parts were very immature and kinda stupid i rate this movie a 7 a little over average because of the moral it sent was pretty good

finally a movie with a different culture i understand gotta kick it up was also a different culture but using the actual history was very different or Disney channel overall was not a bad movie,not as good as i was hoping but not horrible:-)

i definitely have to say the best part was toward the end when Wendy learns that there are more important things than becoming homecoming queen and when she saves shin she learns to sacrifice was a very good lesson

the casting was very good Brenda did a nice job

the last line about the cappuccino was a little dumb i think they should have ended differently but i definitely enjoyed this movie and if you haven't seen it i wouldn't say you should put it on top of your "to see"list but definitely think about seeing it!:-)

just plain fun

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
27 June 2006

Decided to check this out because it was a sort of cute premise and was directed by someone who worked on Xena. It's actually rather similar to Xena, with the same goofy humor, obliviousness to accuracy and general good-heartedness, although the good-heartedness is push a little more because it's for the Disney Channel. The fight scenes are fun, the movie has a good sense of humor and it's a nice take on the Buffy the Vampire slayer story. In fact, while the Buffy movie had a clever idea (shallow popular girl has a destiny) it actually wasn't a very good movie, and between the two I would take Wendy Wu. Definitely worth watching.

Less cheesy than I thought.

Author: Ddey65 from United States
27 June 2006

From the moment Brenda Song walked into the junior high school set of "Stuck in the Suburbs" and flung her retro-1960's hairdo over her shoulder, people who never knew who she was prior to then would realize this is an actress that The Disney Channel could not afford to lose before she grows up. And though she already turned 18 before the release of this DCOM, they couldn't possibly deny that she was a star in the making as far back as "The Ultimate Christmas Present." When I first heard that this was going to be Brenda's first starring role, I thought it was going to be incredibly corny, cheesy and campy. I'm surprised to find I was wrong about the third part.

Wendy Wu, is a pretty and popular contemporary Chinese-American California high school girl. She has two friends that envy her, a trophy boyfriend she's not entirely enthusiastic about, and while not the smartest kid in class, she's certainly not the spoiled airhead she plays on "The Suite Life of Zack & Cody." Neither she nor her parents, nor even her classmates make any issue of their cultural heritage, until two things happen; 1)Her mother, a museum curator starts getting newly received ancient Chinese statues, and 2)Wendy herself gets a visit from a Buddhist Monk who insists she's the reincarnation of an old female warrior destined to fight an evil spirit(What I'd like to know is how this temple survived more earthly evils like the Five Year Plan, "Great Leap Forward," Cultural Revolution, etc.). Naturally, she thinks the guy is nuts, but he slowly starts to convince her that he's telling the truth, and she agrees to accept training for the big fight that's to come.

The tagline here is "Pretty. Tough." No truth-in-advertising laws were broken here. Her opponent Jessica Dawson(Ellen Woglom)isn't so bad looking herself. The TV-PG Rating was appropriate as well, not only for the standard contemporary martial arts choreography, but for the idea that Shin may have to die, a la Michael Biehn in "The Terminator"(1984). Essentially, Shin Koyamada is Wendy Wu's version of Kyle Reese. Part of the problem with the kung-fu fighting scenes is that like so many of them nowadays, the producers think they have to rip off "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon(2000)." Others detected elements of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer(1992)," the "Dragonball"(1988) franchise, and numerous versions of the "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers"(1993). Although admittedly, I saw more Power Rangers elements in "Sky High(2005)," than I did here.

Hardcore Martial Arts fans would probably dismiss this because it's a DCOM, and because of the cheesy plot, and far-fetched special effects, but I remember seeing plenty of martial arts movies from the 1970's with less of a plot, and people shooting lightning bolts out of their hands as well as other SFX that didn't exist in the 12th Century Far East. As of this writing, there don't seem to be any plans to put this movie on DVD, however the high ratings may change that. And though there are others who may like "High School Musical(2006)(TV)" better than this DCOM(including those who like this one), I feel the opposite way. All in all, it's not half bad.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]