Rules of Engagement (TV Series 2007–2013) Poster

(2007–2013)

47 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
surprisingly good
anthonyfriel72 June 2011
i only started watching this recently and now i'm hooked. i watched one episode just to say i had and ended up watching about 10episodes in a row. this a lot smarter than i thought, the one-liners are excellent, the characters have depth, and the story is pretty good as well. spade is good as the weaselly playboy, Hudson is good as the idiot, the women are good at being the kinda normal average women in relationships, but Patrick Warburton is the star. his timing is perfect, his delivery is excellent and he comes across a genuinely like-able guy. a guy that most guys could relate to. all in all i think there is something or someone in the show that most people can relate to and enjoy.

watch a few episodes, you be hooked!
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Pleasant Surprise
Ernst-26 February 2007
Generally speaking, the plot was much better than I was expecting. The laugh track was a bit annoying at times and did tend to get in the way; however, there were enough real chuckles in this episode to make up for it. My biggest surprise was finding some of the best lines and situations were not shown in the trailers. Spade, in particular, was not presented in the best light in the earlier promotions, but his character comes across quite well in the pilot. There is is enough eye-candy to please almost anyone and all the regular characters seem up to the task ahead of them. Now, if the writers can just live up to what they have begun.
55 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the funniest shows on TV
g_foreman17 April 2009
I missed almost all of the first season, but when the other shows went to reruns, I started watching. I ended up buying the entire first season off iTunes. This is now one of my favorite comedy shows. Patrick Warburton is the key. His dry sense of humor has me rolling all the time. David Spade is funny, but sometimes a little Russell goes a long way. I enjoy the other cast members more (but not saying he doesn't add to the show).

Do yourself a favor. If you haven't checked this one out, give it a try. If you can catch the episode where "Jeff" goes to the sperm bank, you will see how good this show is.

I hope this series has a long run.
50 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great series!
Phoenix_e1321 August 2011
I love this show! Patrick Warburton is hilarious! All the characters of the series are great however i'm not a huge fan of the little dwarf 'Russel'. His acting looks really forced and sometimes it's over the top.

The best part of the show is probably all the different characters who happen to be friends. This usually leads to funny moments during the show. I think people who are watching this show can relate to some of the characters. Me for example, can relate to Jeff! "Woman let me watch the game, and if your going that way could u get me a drink?". My girlfriend can relate to Audrey who would probably tell them to get it them self and would be whining about going to visit friends, parents, shopping.. or whatever.

Patrick Warburton is a great actor and very underrated! Some reviewer said that he couldn't deliver a joke. That's complete BS! The way 'Jeff' delivers a joke is great! He is sarcastic and with his deep voice it's a killer combination. I think he is the funniest guy in the show by far! If your looking for a hilarious series, you've found it!
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This one will fly!
kellyenright5 February 2007
This show will succeed because it appeals to all adults no matter where they are in their relationship. As a man married for 26 years, I empathize with Patrick Warburton's character: he loves his wife, but he assumes she knows that. I also enjoy his monotone delivery; never gets too excited or too low. A nice ensemble of characters. This will be a nice addition to the Monday night line-up.

I don't know how David Spade will be in his role. He is best enjoyed in small doses. He also seems a little old to still be trolling for women.

I enjoyed the pilot and I look forward to seeing how the series develops.
73 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Judgemental Prediction: Given half a chance, this series will become a winner!
januarybrindle14 March 2008
This would have to be one of the funniest TV sitcoms to come out of the States since the demise of "Everybody Loves Raymond". Warburton is always hilarious, and in this complements the rest of the ensemble cast to perfection. David Spade continues to tickle my funny bone enormously with his quite unique delivery of his lines. After having raved over the British series, "Coupling" I can see from just where the creators of "Rules of Engagement" got their original idea, but this is not intended as being a "brickbat" - the absolutely brilliant dialogue and the way in which it is conveyed set this particular series completely apart. But it takes more than a competent cast to bring success to a new series, particularly in the very difficult field of comedy. Having been a part of a professional TV comedy writing team for the best part of 7 years in Australia, I can appreciate particularly, the role of director and the perceptional and creative talent of the camera crew. One of the few grievances I have with the series is the very obviously "canned" laughter. Surely a live audience could have been used in the shooting of the series.
35 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fulfilling, genuine, warm and truly comedic TV series.
meyoukangaroo12 December 2010
Unlike many sitcoms today, Rules of Engagement seems to have proved it's worth over and over again, - all the way from its pilot episode. The show gives off an unusually warm and genuine vibe which resonates from its opening theme.

The show may be considered a bit 'linear' for some critics, who are more concerned about the solid creativity that a sitcom of our 'day and age' delivers through its plot and characters, than its actual aesthetic, artistic and meaningful worth, targeted at its audience.

But even then the dialogue works great with its acting characters, and eliminates the fact that the show is placed in such an average environment, - this generally presented environment, along with the shows generally presented character roles, may provoke a critic to say the show is 'typical' or 'expected', as a sitcom, which includes a 'stereotypical cynical-married couple', and a 'naive engaged couple', and a 'womanizing single'. Even if these claims are true, the show lives passed its potential even in it's narrow field, (especially as a mid-season replacement).

Other than these negatives which are usually evaluated by critics, the show is very refreshing as a TV show. Unlike many sitcoms today, there are scarce times when the viewer is expected to laugh at an obviously unfunny joke. Though there may be a laugh track, but it doesn't get in the way of the character roles and dialogue.

I give the series a 10/10 because as a TV show, - it's very underrated and deserves at least as much views and feedback as it did when it came out. What I really like about the show is that it's so upfront as a sitcom, building up from ideas from golden shows that are done and dusted, and that it still seems to keep the care-free vibe that it had since the beginning episode, - the actors fulfill their roles and sometimes, succeed them.

Overall, the show is great, the dialogue is original and actually funny, the characters are played well by their actors, & the show lives big in it's narrow field as a sitcom.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome Hilarious and Light
chakrabarty-avash18 November 2011
Guys,Cant explain how good it is.Watched first5 season and i cant wait for more and more. Just watch and you will understand.David Spade and Patrick Warburton deserve special mention.I love the way the group pick on each other. love the chemistry between Patrick and Megan, Patrick and Oliver Hudson.Even Adhir kalyan had done a great job.Extremely funny and relaxing, if you really want to enjoy see from start season 1, not in between. Definitely I will rank the series at par with " How I met Your Mother" or ' Friends".Patrick Warburton done extremely well with Dry Humor, David Spade excellent with the crude ones. Watch it and have a blast. Although not very fond of Liz. Avash
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely hilarious!
dtmillett19 May 2012
I've recommended this to all my friends and family, it has something in it for everyone! single...engaged...or married! When I started watching it, it was season 4 and after a couple of episodes I went and got the box-set!

If you have a good sense of humor and fancy laughing your head of like I've been doing watch this! Jennifer is hot!Audrey as well...but Jennifer in tight jeans...woooh.. ha ha

Pure awesomeness.

See i even said it 3 times for you to get the message!
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Should be year round!
Syl13 April 2010
Sitcoms today much like series television appear to have shortened their seasons. This show is a mid-season replacement. In the past, a successful mid-season replacement like Wings would have been ordered a full season. Anyway, the cast is first rate with Patrick Warburton and Megyn Pryce as the veteran married couple without children living in New York City. Oliver Hudson plays the long engaged man and I forget his fiancé. David Spade is perfect as the single bachelor guy. This season, they have hired Timmy who is wonderfully played by Raj from Aliens in America series. Timmy is his long-suffering assistant and the perfect person to have some laughs with. He's Indian and he's arranged in a marriage according to his parents. Anyway, I enjoy having Timmy and Spade on as much as the other cast members. They have unusual relationship as employer and employee and as unlikely friends.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this