IMDb > Deck the Halls (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deck the Halls

Deck the Halls More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A comedy with no humor...

Author: Calstanhope from Richmond, Virginia, United States
27 November 2006

...unless you're maybe 8 years old, in which case the sight gags might keep you amused. For a while. Matthew Broderick should be ashamed for getting himself mixed up in a mess like this. He's good at playing straight men, but his deadpan delivery of this lousy script will have you checking your watch frequently. It's a particular waste of his comedy talent, which is well-documented. Danny DeVito once again demonstrates that his career peaked about 10 years ago as he mopes his way through the story. Just when you think you've got his character figured out, he does something that takes you back to square one. Is he a nice guy? A scumbag? A criminal? It could be any of those things, or none. God knows the ending doesn't give you any ultimate idea. I don't really know, and I don't really care. Avoid this film unless you have nothing better to do at the mall except wait for a swollen molar to subside. It's about the only thing that seems less appealing than sitting through this turkey.

Ouch

Author: Carolyn from Norway
9 December 2006

This was just really painful. The storyline in itself was bad, and the acting did nothing to make it any better. The idea of a grown man wanting to restore his honor by making his house visible from space with Christmas lights is ridiculous... The actors seemed uninspired and stiff, even though I love Danny DeVito I really can't see how he said yes to this. The most catastrophic acting though, were his two twin girls. Ouch. Talk about being picked for your looks rather than your talent.

I really can't write reasonably about this movie, it was just too much of a mess for me. It had some funny parts, but they were all pretty clichéd and well-used, and I never once laughed out loud. This is just not worth your money and if you're looking for that Christmas spirit, stay as far away from this movie as possible.

Deck the filmmakers....

Author: mcfly-31 from anaheim, ca
23 November 2006

Like watching a combination plate of a movie, with elements of every Christmas movie you've ever seen thrown in for good measure. First let's start with one of the flimsiest plot devices ever: lifelong-loser Devito (despite having a blonde, busty wife, uh huh) gets the inane idea to put enough xmas lights on his home so it can be seen from space. This will give him the accomplishment of his life, and make him "somebody". Now he has just moved in across the street from squeaky clean Broderick, who happens to me "Mr. Christmas" around the holidays. The two begin a war of wills as to whom the town will adore the most. Devito keeps piling on lights, Broderick tries to sabotage it. Now with that storyline laid out, so, so many things come to mind. A), Devito would never get away with the noise and paralyzing light beams shooting into everyone's bedrooms. B), as a car salesman, Devito forges Broderick's name and sticks him with the payments on a new SUV. Now, only in "movie land" would Devito not be fired and brought up on charges of fraud. C), let's count the rip-offs of other movies, shall we: xmas neighbors feuding (Christmas With the Kranks); unstable man lighting up his house (Christmas Vacation); Broderick banged around and covered in goop (Home Alone); a VERY badly blue-screened runaway Santa sleigh (Christmas Vaction AGAIN!). Tack on maybe "the" most forced, overly syrupy, and utterly rushed endings in film history, Christmas or not, and you have ten hard earned dollars wasted. As the film started it was good to see a couple of former movie heavyweights in a potentially big holiday film...sadly, this adds to the nadir that is still their current careers.

How They Did It Is Better Than What They Did

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
31 January 2008

To put it briefly, this was an entertaining movie, gave me a number of laughs and was also extremely stupid and insulting to anyone's intelligence. But, if you look at it strictly as a farce, it will do for a 90-minute diversion. Just don't take any of the characters seriously and try not to get annoyed - which isn't easy - at the typical comedy clichés that are in this movie. And - as some others have pointed out - do not watch this with your kids; it's not "family fare."

Many of the dumb "Hollywood stereotypes" you've endured in comedies the last few decades are in this film. A few examples: the obnoxious kids who say clever things; the typical family story where the men are made to look stupid while the women are smart and sensible; one guy who is a total crook is pictured as sympathetic; things happen in minutes that would take days to occur, unnecessary sex jokes, on and on. Yet, through it all, there are some funny lines of dialog and the Christmas lights on Danny DeVito's house are great fun to see.

This comedy also reminded me a lot of "What, About Bob?" as DeVito slowly drives neighbor Matthew Broderick almost crazy as Bill Murray did to Richard Dreyfuss. I'm told it also was like the National Lampoon's Christmas Story but I never saw that.

What was very interesting were two five-minute featurettes which came with the DVD. In it, is explained and shown how the movie makers built the two houses from scratch, put in all the incredible lights and light show and how it was made to look dark. The story takes place in a mythical town in Massachusetts (where nobody in the film, by the way, has an accent!) but was filmed in Vancouver in July where they were only getting six hours of darkness per night. Most of the film takes place at night so they also built as 60-foot high ark-like building over the two big houses! Incredible!

There could have been a few more laughs

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
23 November 2006

Every year there is a Christmas movie released, and it's always the typical family friendly flick that gets pretty annoying and predictable, in fact there really hasn't been any good Christmas movies past Home Alone and Christmas Vacation. When I saw the trailer to Deck the Halls, I was so excited, because I'm a fan of Danny and Matthew, they're both great comedic actors and this seemed like a great film for Christmas and how obsessive people are over the holidays.

Steve is a family man who is intending to make the holidays brighter for his depressed kids and over shadowed wife, he is also love by the community. A new family moves in across the street, Buddy and his family are genuinely nice people but rub Steve off the wrong way, especially since Buddy is upset that his house cannot be seen from outer space and figures that Christmas lights will fix that problem. While all the other family members of both guys are getting along great, the guys end up competing with each other to see who will be the Christmas King of the town.

Matthew and Danny who you'd think would be the perfect comedic duo actually didn't spark anything that grabbed me and the jokes were pretty predictable. While this movie was over all a slight disappointment, actually, I'd say there are a few good little laughs her and there, it is a cute Christmas movie, but like I said, just stick with the classic Christmas comedies.

sweet mother of god... run for your lives!!!!

Author: jgrobarge from United States
25 November 2006

i am usually a fan of these Christmas movies, and i realize that they're corny and stupid, but this is taking it to a new level. The only thing worse than the movie's ridiculous plot holes was its ending. When Buddy's house doesn't light up and everyone took out their cell phones, i was so appalled that i threw up in my mouth. i then proceeded to stand up and take out my phone, hoping to give my fellow victims some entertainment. From now on I'm just going to ramble on about stuff to provide a filler, because of the retarded 10 line comment rule.This is the worst movie i have ever seen. For serial. My aunt came in from Canada, so we fulfilled a family tradition involving seeing a movie. It ruined my day, unfortunately.

I found more heart in Scarface

Author: JR . from Canada
25 November 2006

We have reached that time of year again. Every year, or every couple of years, we have a fake Christmas comedy that comes out just for the sake of making money, with no heart. In 2004 we had Christmas with the Kranks which is one of the worst reviewed movies ever, but god help me but I found enjoyment in that film, believe it or not. I am known as Mr. Christmas, I love the holiday itself and I love its movies, most of them always bring me joy, my favourite one being The Polar Express. Now, I try to find joy in most holiday themed movies I watch, but when filmmakers have sunk to such low levels Deck the Halls, it's hard to melt the cold hard plastic that it is. But honestly, how could we have expected a classic from the man who brought us such great films as "Big Momma's House 2", and the unforgettable "Malibu's Most Wanted"? I sound very angry, but you know what, enough is enough. What happened to filmmakers putting heart into a Christmas movie, or any movie for that matter? What happened to being excited for such Christmas classics as Elf, The Santa Clause, A Christmas Story, It's A Wonderful Life, Home Alone, or The Polar Express. Movies were the story, and the message matter was heart and holiday joy. I'm sick of studios making these "Christmas" movies that are just released for the simple fact that is money, these films show what Christmas has truly become, all about the presents. This film may have had no promise and, and I may have had no expectations for it, but to sink as low as this, and to have such a fake and cold-hearted movie, is just sad and disturbing. Box-office poison, Matthew Broderick strikes again with yet another box-office poison machine, Danny DeVito. Never have I seen a movie with such a cast of actors I hate.

I mean, at least Christmas with the Kranks had Tim Allen & Jamie Lee Curtis who are normally two very funny people, to bring some joy to it. In Deck the Halls we receive Danny DeVito, who just makes your skin crawl, and who is always stuck in movies with hot wives, what is that about? Then there's Matthew Broderick who hasn't delivered a classic or hit since who knows how long, it's been a long while since his fantastic work in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Election, two classics. Then adding to that for female contribution there's nails on chalk board voices Kristen Chenoweth and Kristen Davis, although Chenoweth at moments is funny in this rather forgettable comedy. DeVito and Broderick have as much chemistry as an apple and a plate, enough said. My main beef with the movie however, is something Kranks actually had, a message and an ending to it where all the garbage comes together and you actually, cared. Here we have just scenes put together called a movie, and ending that comes from no where but cliché-land. It doesn't even strive for something original, it's just here, put some "heart" into it. I found more heart in Scarface.

We have come to the age where the story doesn't matter to this films, you slap a Christmas theme on it, and there you have a holiday hit. I mean, at least the recently released The Santa Clause 3 had a message and heart, this has nothing. I mean, it's about a man wanting to have his house seen from space, compensating for something much? Broderick's character doesn't even have a fight, if you know what I mean. They could've competed for the brightest house, that would have been more interesting, but no, we have to see him get slammed with Camel snot, put into its dung, and worst of all Danny DeVito make out with Chenoweth. It sounds as nasty as it is, I pray for her to make a full recovery. The house being lit with half a million lights is incredibly clichéd, and very annoying to the eyes. I remember when I had retinas, it's blinding to say the least. The ending again to this film without giving anything away, is so fake and cold, and so heartless, I was honestly in shock at how it comes together. In the future, I pray for someone in Hollywood to come up with an original, heartfelt holiday movie.

Bottom Line:

As cold and heartless as the light bulbs surrounding the house.

Review written by Jordan Appugliesi for www.boxofficefanatic.com

Plot less? Check. Clichéd? Check. Stupid? Check. Boring? Check. Okay boys, bring it to the big screen!

Author: artsigirl from United States
3 December 2006

I can't believe I'm even offering this movie more of my precious time than the 93 minutes I already gave it. I must have checked my watch ten times and I considered walking out not once but twice. Everything other haters said is true in my book. Every joke was old, clichéd, and lame. There was no creativity in this movie WHATSOEVER. Many parts of the movie made no sense and the whole thing just generally...well, never mind. Of course, we couldn't go on without the disgusting potty humor--the falling into camel s*** and then getting puked on by said camel--and, oh, look, there are the fathers being stupid again. How come in every one of these movies the father is always the one being selfish and stupid? And I'm not a father saying this, I am a sixteen-year-old GIRL. But seriously. I have both a father and a stepfather and neither one is inconsiderate or selfish or stupid. And don't even get me started on the "message". It's really pathetic how these producers try to put heartwarming "messages" into their pieces of garbage. You wanna make me cry? Throw out another Titanic. Or some equally dramatic TEARJERKER. Not a shallow comedy about a couple of rich guys fighting over who's King of Christmas. Movies like this are supposed to be shallow; they're supposed to make you laugh; they shouldn't try to make you cry and say "oh, how deep" because it NEVER works. And with this movie being just a bunch of cods wallop thrown into a ninety-minute roll of film, any "deep" issues thrown in were just as sudden, random, and uncreative as their solutions. Generic, generic, generic. Cheap, cheap, cheap. Save your money. Use it to rent--no, buy--Elf instead.

excruciating

Author: squareWave808 from Charlotte, North Carolina
18 December 2007

So it being the Christmas season and all, the family was in the mood for a Christmas movie, one we hadn't seen before. With the cast of Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick, this one seemed like a good contender.

Ouch.

I could barely make it to the twenty minute mark before bringing the showing of this movie to a merciful end. It seems that this movie is trying hard to be Christmas Vacation, producing only a meager and clichéd facsimile of that classic. All the elements are there: the yuppie couple with cynical too-cool-for-school teenage daughter, little horn dog son, and a plot revolving around their contrast with rough around the edges newcomers. It's been done before, and more importantly it's been done much better.

This is one of those movies that is offensively bad. Offensive because Hollywood churns out this utter crap under the assumption that we'll lap it up because we're just too undiscerning to know how bad it really is.

ho ho hum

Author: designing-digital from United States
27 December 2006

This movie started out with good intentions. The small town was likable. With the actors in this movie I thought it would have been much better. How sad that this movie had such a WEAK script and plot and far fetched situations like the way that DeVito 'sold' Broderick a car. There was no chemistry between the characters. Bad attempts at subplots involving his relationship with Broderick's family were left at mere attempts. I am a fan of Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation and wanted to see at least a Christmas 'decorating war' -this was not even close to the humor and great characters in 'vacation'. I will also be hesitant to see another movie with DeVito and Matthew Broderick in them.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]