IMDb > "Fish" Fire (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 8 of 35 Episodes | Next »

Steve Landesberg guests as Det. Arthur Dietrich

Author: kevin olzak (kevinolzak@yahoo.com) from Youngstown, Ohio
15 April 2014

"Fire" features the welcome presence of Steve Landesberg's Det. Arthur Dietrich from the 12th Precinct, dropping by for lunch before going out on assignment with Fish. Mike looks beat after a long night with the opposite sex ("from now on, I'm only going out with one at a time!"). Fish asks why he hasn't put on any clothes (Mike: "when I'm in bed, they tend to get wrinkled!"). Still dressed in his robe, Mike answers the door to find Sgt. Dietrich (Mike: "I've been in bed all morning!" Dietrich: "that'd be my guess!"). Meanwhile, Victor has become infatuated with lighting matches, so Charlie suggests he learn about responsibility by taking care of a pet. No one knows what Victor brought home in a shoebox (Bernice runs screaming from the room), so know-it-all Dietrich, with his vast knowledge on just about everything, is a cinch to identify it ("what the hell izzat?"). Officer Hutchins (Stanley Brock) appears to report on a deserted house two doors down in flames, identifying Victor as a possible firebug. Detective Dietrich expresses his admiration on how Hutchins handles himself professionally, telling him about a guy he used to work with that acted and sounded just like him (Hutchins: "oh yeah?" Dietrich: "partner shot him!"). In his lone appearance on this series, Steve Landesberg is a constant delight, making this a rare standout episode.