IMDb > "Robin Hood" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Robin Hood"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Robin Hood" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Get a grip people

Author: stuart-blakelock from United Kingdom
11 October 2006

Look, this is the first comment I have ever written but was forced to respond to the Muppet's out there that slated the programme, and the BBC. Robin Hood over the years has been interpreted in many different guises but to the slate this after 10 or 20 minutes is ludicrous. Just because it's not what you expected doesn't mean that MILLIONS of people will not enjoy it on a Saturday night with the rest of their family. Get a grip you pretentious, I know better than you people. It's an entertaining, family orientated programme with no illusions about being a serious drama. What else do you expect in the Saturday night Dr. Who slot!!

Eventually won me over...

Author: Sweet_Ophelia from Australia
31 December 2006

After the first 15 minutes of the BBC's new drama 'Robin Hood', I was pretty much certain that I wouldn't go further than the first episode. Robin (Jonas Armstrong), back from the Crusades in Jerusalem is coming home to Locksley, along with is ex-servant and friend, Much (Sam Troughton). They make a pit-stop on their journey home, to help a blacksmith in return for food... and a roll in the hay with his bosomy daughter who looks like she just stepped out of a Justin Timberlake music video. Riiight. Then came a dodgy back-flip, some ridiculous one-liner and I was thoroughly unimpressed.

I know a thing or two about the legend of Robin Hood. As a kid the Disney version (yep the sing-along with the fox as Robin) was a favorite, and when I was about 6 and went on a trip to England, my family and I made a pit-stop in Nottingham, got a photo by the Robin Hood statue and even went on a little Robin Hood ride and walk through Sherwood forest. I was told the stories of Robin Hood, and have a soft spot for the Robin and Marian romance. I felt obligated to give this new BBC drama a try, since everything Robin Hood once fascinated me as a child.

The first episode, as I said, did not inspire confidence. Jonas Armstrong isn't who I picture as Robin Hood. One review described him as being the 'Orlando Bloom' type, one who "hovers somewhere between boyhood and manhood" (Daily Express, September 9, 2006). I had seen Armstrong in the fourth season of 'Teachers' and was not terribly taken by him. But in 'Robin Hood', Armstrong is initially hard to swallow as the hooded crusader, but this isn't entirely his fault. Robin initially comes across as a cocky, womanizing lad with a hefty ego, and it wasn't until about the third episode that I actually started to warm to him. What made sure I came back to watch the second, third and eventually entire series of this show was Lucy Griffiths as Maid Marian and Keith Allen as the deliciously ruthless Sheriff of Nottingham.

Newcomer, 19 year-old Lucy Griffith's Marian has dropped the 'maid' and follows the lead of 21st century female TV heroines such as Buffy, Veronica Mars and Rose Tyler... which isn't surprising, the show could not have worked with a wimpy and weak Marian. Griffiths and Armstrong do have a great chemistry as well, despite the fact that the dialogue between Marian and Robin is sometimes corny ("kiss it better?") there is a spark, and that's enough to keep the Marian/Robin romance interesting for me. Even more so is the fact that in this updated version, Marian does not welcome Robin home with open arms. He left her 5 years ago to fight for glory and King Richard in the Holy lands, and she is still feeling the sting of his desertion.

Keith Allen plays a fantastically villainous Sheriff, who sometimes reminds me of Tim Curry, and is always entertaining. Richard Armitage plays Guy of Gisborne, the Sheriff's right hand man and the new lord of Robin's Locksley manor. To top it off, Gisborne is in tough pursuit of Marian, adding an extra layer of intensity to his dueling with Robin.

This show has been commissioned partly due to the huge success of the resurrected 'Doctor Who', and while it isn't quite on-par with the genius of Russell T. Davies's show, 'Robin Hood' is worth a try. At times the production value leaves you wanting, the stunts can be laughable and the acting a little wooden. It isn't really until the seventh episode "Brothers in Arms" that things really start to pick up with the drama and story lines, and from seven onwards it is a brilliant roller-coaster ride sure to make the previous six lack-luster episodes worth the watch.

Absolutely Brilliant

Author: welshie21 from United Kingdom
19 November 2006

In my opinion, out of the vast majority of the Robin Hoods out there, this is by far the best. It is witty, enjoyable and fast paced. Its suitable for all ages hence the 7pm airing. The casting is just right, Robin is supposed to be young, he has just returned from the crusades, Jonas Armstrong is perfectly suited. Marian (played by Lucy Griffiths) is the model woman, she stands up for what she thinks is right and isn't afraid to put herself in the line of fire so to speak. The sheriff is suitably horrid and Robin is perfect as the young, charming and cheeky rebel. As most BBC 13part shows are good, you expect this to be too and you aren't disappointed.

Very enjoyable

Author: Elicottonlover from United Kingdom
11 October 2006

I enjoyed this very much, maybe that's because I was expecting a light hearted romp for families about the legend of Robin Hood and not a documentary. Exhilarating if outrageous action scenes, humour, nasty bad guys, bit of social comment for the adults. Robin a mixture of gravitas and cheekiness. Great verbal sparring between Robin and the Sheriff and a Robin and Marian. The sets were amazing, Locksley a bit sterile but the overall look was good. Did exactly what it said on the tin for me and what I expected for a programme in that time slot. Now the characters are settling in, looking forward to more good stuff from future episodes.

Enjoyable

Author: Aw_47 from United Kingdom
25 November 2006

I like this version, and think the actors are good. Fair enough if it's really not your thing, but they can't please everyone.

I appreciate that it's not historically accurate, but how can it be when it's based on a legend? I don't see why it has to be - it's a drama program, not a documentary. :-)

As for the comment in one post that anyone who enjoyed it must be either ignorant or from the BBC: I am neither. It seems a shame to join a discussion only to offensively reject any opinion that conflicts with your own. :-(

I hope the rumour that it's been commissioned for a second series is true.

OK... now great!

Author: sha_dela from United Kingdom
11 January 2007

When I first saw it I thought it was really bad and almost didn't watch it again. The first episode was cringe-worthy.But... I stuck with it and with each passing week it got better and better. Now, I'm hooked. It's great entertainment. People who say that it is not historically correct are just being picky. Not many people care whether it is correct or not. As long as it is good drama and entertaining then it will be watched. Robin Hood has all of those things. Brilliant drama, occasionally funny and has got a hint of romance running through it. The actors, though not widely known are great and Robin Hood gets better as each week passes. Definitely something you should give a try.

I thought it was great

Author: suzyyyeee from United Kingdom
11 October 2006

finally something to fill the gap left by 'Doctor Who'. A quirky, enjoyable, funny program which had me on the edge of my seat. This is what we've been waiting for, from the BBC, after such shows as 'Doctor Who' and 'Pride & Prejudice'. The characters were already well structured even after the first episode. Jonas Armstrong is a great choice for Robin Hood, as he is a 'bad boy'. With his rugged features and lovely accent, he really makes the character of Robin come alive. Along with the other actors and actresses, he really makes the legend reality. A must-see for any fans of Action/Comedy and maybe romantics. It combines lots of genres to make it appeal to everyone. Now all i have to say is, watch it! or you'll be sorry you missed it!

Come on BBC, you can do better!

Author: razorsharp2505-1 from United Kingdom
7 October 2007

Recently the BBC has been delivering some much improved family drama and Robin Hood promised to be the latest blockbusting instalment. having missed the first series, I tuned in to see what all the hype was about but came away feeling very disappointed.

I'm all for using a bit of artistic licence in the name of entertainment but some of the detail, acting and direction leaves much to be desired. For example, how can Robin shoot an arrow to free the ropes on a tied up maiden if her wrists are pointing away from him on the other side of a big wooden post? And how is it that none of the sheriff's guards managed to spot the ample bosom on Maid Marion when she was in disguise and insisted on referring to her as a man?

Overall, the script was quite weak, much of the acting quite stiff, the costumes lacking and many of the key characters seemed to have been miscast. I just couldn't get on with the actress playing Maid Marion at all.

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but even Kevin Costner's mediocre version of the myth of Robin Hood was more believable and much more enjoyable. For a better TV version, try out the 1980s Robin of Sherwood series instead.

Continues its decline

Author: thelmaritter-1 from Canada
26 April 2009

Season 1 was an enjoyable romp once it got the gang assembled, and Season 2 had an energetic Empire Strikes Back quality, but we're halfway through Season 3 and it's a turkey. New lackluster characters are being introduced into the gang, taking the focus off the old characters we actually like. The writers seem to have lost the thread of the story. At the end of Season 2 they set the audience up for a big showdown, but they deflated the tension in the very first episode. There are continuity issues every episode, such as, Why does Gisborne suddenly have a sister when he spent the first season moping about having no family? Did Gisborne's soldiers get eaten? Prince John was supposed to be angry about his tax money, but when Gisborne returns, it's to kill Robin Hood, not to squeeze money from the sheriff. With a few exceptions, most of the scripts feel as if they were hastily sketched out, without much care toward development of character or continuity. It's a shame.

The one exception to the lackluster season is Toby Stephens as Prince John. He's the perfect combination of insecurity, viciousness, and preening pomposity. He's very funny.

A cinematic Bataan Death March of a series.

Author: fatdogtavern from United States
2 September 2010

I love the whole Robin Hood thing. Always have since I saw the Errol Flynn version when I was a boy. I actually liked this series thru about the beginning of season 2, but by then and since then it just grates on me and its harder and harder to watch each subsequent episode.

I think the worst thing about this show is the writing. How can Sir Guy kill Marion and Robin allows him to live? Are you kidding. She takes a sword thru the midsection and Robin is just like, you have to live with yourself now Sir Guy. Really? I mean was this show broadcast in the UK at 10:00am Saturday morning or something for children to watch? Every episode there is at least one person who should have their heads hacked off and used as a football, but they never end up dying. The wussification of Britian continues.

I'm half way thru season 3 now and its a tedious trudge to get thru each episode, but its like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I just can't turn away. I want it to end. In all honesty it can't end soon enough. I want resolution. I want to know if King Richard returns and if Robin is returned to his previous title. I should just skip to the last episode, but I've already got so much time invested in watching this series that I feel like I HAVE to watch the last 6 episodes and be done.

I hate the way women are shown as fighters here too. Maid Marion as the Night Watchman and now this new blonde girl from the village that Much is in love with going out there and swinging swords with blokes over 6 foot tall. PLEASE! Was it just an attempt to be non sexist on the part of the writers? To try and appeal to teenage girls? To show that women can be heroes too? Well they can't! Not in this role anyway. Its really so unbelievable that I can't suspend reality. It would be easier for me to accept an alien coming around the corner and using a ray gun on the Sheriff than it is to see woman not only holding their own but dominating men in hand to hand warfare. Where's Olivia De Havilland in all her grace and beauty when you need her? Can you see her picking up a sword and giving lessons to some guard? The Sheriff. God is he annoying, but he does make a good villain. I've been waiting around for someone to kill him since the first episode. Finally last night Sir Guy ends him at the request of the Prince. But just like a bad Friday the Thirteenth sequel the sheriffs finger has to twitch as he's being brought out to be buried. GIVE ME A BREAK! I'd swear sometimes that the writers of this series can't be older than 15 or 16.

Marion. Beautiful but annoying too. Just leave your father OR take him with you and join Robin in the forest already. How many times can she kick Sir Guy's heart around and think she can fool him again? A dozen obviously cause thats what kept happening. I was almost happy to see her killed. I wonder if they wrote her out at the end of season 2 because she wanted to pursue other roles.

The Merry Men. So they're so beloved by the people that their ranks never swell beyond the number five? Robin and four others? Thats it? No massive rallying of support from the villages to create an army of free men to take on the Sheriff? And how is it that at least one of them are captured EVERY episode and locked up and then not only are not executed, but escape? Every time!? This is a war! Someone's gotta die! What was up with the Lost in Translation episode? Some Abbot is going to let Robin and his men be burned at the stake because he dosen't want to have wasted ten years translating the bible? This is supposed to be a man of god! His motivations make no sense at all, just like most of the characters on this show. Again I go back to the writers. Who are these people? How can they be so bad episode after episode? I would believe dinosaurs marching thru Sherwood more than I would believe some of the character motivations that are presented here. Again, writing so stupid that I cannot suspend belief long enough to accept the presented premise.

Robin. One dimensional Robin. If I had my way he'd be hacking off heads every episode. Ya I know, Robins a good guy! Ya, well good guys deal out justice. You don't let villains off with a slap of the flat of your sword on their bottoms after they've just killed an innocent. This series should be remade on HBO or Showtime or some other channel that has the guts to show what would have really happened in England in the middle ages. The blood would flow! Stop being such a wuss and send a message to the powers that be! Get the job done! Is it too much to ask? Sir Guy. I liked his role I guess although he was far too gullible with Marion. Does anyone else think he sounds just like Sean Bean? Prince John. Just met him last night so I won't go out on too much of a limb with him except to say that if I were Richard I would have killed him decades ago.

Well thats it I guess. 6 more episodes to go is the equivalent of a cinematic Bataan Death March but what can I do? I must endure it or be bayoneted in the back by some sadistic Japanese soldier, which might not actually be as bad as it sounds. Pray for me.

Page 1 of 16:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]