IMDb > Hot Rod (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Funny? Hell Yeah.

Author: thekiltedhammer from United States
25 July 2007

My wife and I saw a screening of Hot Rod. From some the comments posted here I thought we were going to be bored. Nothing could have been further from the truth. This film was really funny! So funny, that I'm wondering if the people who say they hated it actually saw the same film. No, its not fine art, its a summer comedy, and it delivers plenty of laughs. I am middle-aged guy whose not into early Adam Sandler, or Napoleon Dynamite type comedies, and this movie had me laughing hard. Sure, not at every single joke, but at most of them. If you are into absurdest humor, or enjoyed movies like Hot Fuzz, or Super Troopers, you'll find plenty to enjoy. P.S. My wife liked it too.

Absolutely Hysterical

Author: jonok0 from United States
29 June 2007

I just saw the first screening ever of Hot Rod at the Los Angeles Film Festival.

As a fan of The Lonely Island, I went into this movie with high expectations. I can happily say that not only were they met but they were exceeded. This is by far the funniest, strangest and most ingenious comedy of the summer. The movie has some of the most random gags ever seen on film. This film is not for everyone: it has no stars and the comedy is very strange. But give it a chance and you will not regret it. The directing and editing of the film is both stylish and fast paced. Andy Samberg is hilarious as always but the supporting cast truly shines, particularly Bill Hader, Will Arnett and Ian McShane. Also look for an INSANELY hilarious cameo from director Akiva Shaffer. If you love the SNL digital shorts this movie is for you. Hot Rod is destined to be a cult comedy classic.

Give it a shot.

Author: Michael Blackstone from United States
4 August 2007

Few movies in recent cinematic memory have fit into the category of "Love it or Hate it" as well as this one. Its humor is so varied, oftentimes so random, that you either find it hysterical, or you think it's stupid. Me? I'm going with the former... I think this movie's completely hilarious.

It possesses a goofy, charming quality, and has a lot of moments that left me laughing while asking my wife, "what the hell the was that?" It seems to echo a Family Guy style of humor in that regard. I personally found the characters all pretty likable...the kind of characters you enjoy watching. There was an obvious (and effective) effort to give each character a real personality, quirks and all.

In the end, I suggest you keep an open mind, sit back and enjoy the utter ridiculousness this movie affords you...and I'll bet you find yourself laughing, even if it's in spite of yourself.

The Jerk meets Billy Madison

Author: brandnewthursday3 from United States
6 August 2007

Andy Samberg is the hero of the internet age. Through SNL digital videos such as Lazy Sunday and Dick in a Box, he has managed to coral a fanbase, score an emmy nod and land his own starring role in a movie. Being that sly, witty and subtle comedy is taking over the box office(The 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, etc)it's safe to say that plain old silly farce is having a hard time reaching the same audience.

Steve Martin made The Jerk a hit, with his genius way of creating a character who was so naive and stupid yet easy to relate to. Samberg is trying to recreate that same character type, but it seems as though audiences aren't having it. Be that as it may, he does it successfully and with such a delightful awkwardness that it may put Martin to shame(no offense Steve).

Although Hot Rod starts off a bit slow, with those watching feeling that it may not come out of its slump, it progresses into a laugh out loud comedy that will have you literally howling. For instance, in one scene, Samberg takes out his frustrations by, as he puts it, "punch dancing" in the woods. This is followed by one of the longest and funniest falls in cinema history.

Most critics probably feel that the movie is just youtube videos strewn together, yet they aren't taking it for what it is: A blatant farce on 80s under dog stories. There was not one serious moment in this movie. And that is a good thing. Highly recommended for anyone who wishes to laugh their asses off.

listen to this mother...we all loved this movie!

Author: boneheads from United States
17 August 2007

Our family consists of a fiftyish dad, a fortyish mom and two teenaged daughters. We all saw this movie during a sneak preview just before it opened, and I (the mom) laughed so hard I could barely breathe sometimes. I had to stop laughing so I could hear what I was missing. One of my daughters said it was a cross between Napoleon Dynamite and Talladega Nights...maybe. It was completely improbable, I mean, who's going to be doing stunts on a moped? But it was so sweet. The characters never over reached who they were or tried too hard. It never felt forced, like so many movies like this do. The best part was when Rod went to his "Quiet Place". I saw one summary that said it would have been better with Will Ferrell...I've enjoyed everything Will Ferrell has done lately, but Andy Samberg was perfect for this movie. The ending was pretty predictable, but it was like taking a trip...you knew where you'd end up, but it was so much fun along the way. We definitely loved this movie and recommend it to all our friends (and you!)

Can't wait for August 3rd!

Author: leaning_tripod from Minneapolis, MN
10 July 2007

This film screened in Minneapolis last night (at which they also distributed free T-shirts, pins and fake mustaches) and I have not laughed this hard in a very long time. I laughed so hard it made my stomach hurt, and that hasn't happened to me in a movie in years.

It reminded me very much of Will Ferrell's "Anchorman" and "Talladega Nights," but even moreso it seems like a throwback to the kind of movies Adam Sandler used to make. There's a lot of "Billy Madison"-inspired randomness and absurdity that just cracked me up, and the stunts look truly dangerous.

I will not say anymore about this film except I can't wait to see it again when it opens August 3rd and I think Andy Samberg could explode after this film. Not literally, let's hope.

A Triumph Over American Comedy Trends

Author: colin-mcarthur from Scotland
5 November 2007

I watched Hot Rod for the same reasons i've watched any of the generic American comedies that Hollywood seems to churn out. Because i had nothing better to do, i didn't want to have to think and i expected to be very mildly amused. I was very pleasantly surprised when Hot Rod turned out to have a bit of heart. This movie seems to occupy a middle point between the fairly predictable but fun Blades of Glory and the rather more charming and oddball Napoleon Dynamite. Most recent American comedies seem to function like early Tom Cruise films : Take a vocation and run with it. Blades of Glory had the fairly ridiculous world of figure skating to draw from, and i guess you can't really go wrong with a grown man in lycra on ice skates, but it's humour relied heavily on that. Hot Rod is a film about a (pretty terrible) young stuntman who's objective is to raise enough money to save his dying step-dad by means of a life saving operation. His underlying reason for doing so, however, is because he wants to earn his respect by beating him in a fight. This little quirk and more are what make Hot Rod a little more satisfying than other films in its genre, and, despite some rather obvious jokes and a criminally underused Will Arnett, it's well worth watching.

Great movie to watch and not think too much once its over

Author: satydg from United Kingdom
8 December 2007

Its been a while that i have come across a comedy movie as light hearted as this one.I think this movie caters to all genres of audience and the best part is that you don't have to drag the movie storyline home and ponder over it.Its got a feel-good attitude to it and has got a simple storyline. I recommend this movie to one and all.. A great release of 2007 !!! The directors done a good job and so have the actors.. haven't heard of them before but if its their debut, then well done ! The soundtrack is a mix of techno and 80s music which again adds a brilliant touch to the movie and they are very situational, which does not happen in most of the comedy movies..

Random for the win!!

Author: ruabadfish22 from United States
16 July 2007

I saw a free screening of this in CT. I wasn't sure what to expect at first... but I laughed a lot more in this movie then any comedy to come out in a long time. Expect a bunch of randomness that will make you laugh out loud. The movie is definitely a movie for a certain type of viewer..IE: People who enjoy a "silly/stupid" genre of comedies. A very SNL-derived movie. Laughs are frequent,everyone at the cinemas was laughing. A good performance, a Hilarious Andy Samberg and cast, and the beautiful Isla Fisher is always nice to watch. Be prepared to leave the theater knowing your friends will be quoting this movie for a while. I highly recommend this movie to other viewers.

"My name is Rod and I like to Party" - Favourite Movie!

Author: mellymoo19 from Canada
7 January 2010

This is by far in my top three best and funniest movies! An absolutely hilarious film guaranteed to make you laugh out loud.

Andy Samberg (from Saturday Night Live) plays Rod Kimble an aspiring stuntman trying to live up to his dead father's legacy, unfortunately he lacks the necessary aspect: any talent whatsoever. But backed by supportive friends.

Along with Lonely Island best friends Akiva Shaffer as director and Jorma Taccone as his step-brother team up to create this great comedy equals pure awesomeness! And Bill Hader as a friend and fellow team member Dave made me laugh so much too! From the most epic fall down a hill, safe word "WHiskey," Satan for a stepfather, killer dance moves and a Tai-Chi move guaranteed to make a grown man crap his pants and not know why. Hot Rod is quite the adventure. I would love to live in a town like that.

And after this movie you probably won't be able to look at stunting or mopeds the same way again.

Be sure to rent or buy this movie and the extras are pretty awesome.

"Life is pain - we've got to scrape the joy from it every chance we get."

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]