IMDb > Elvis and Anabelle (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Elvis and Anabelle

Elvis and Anabelle More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

incredible movie: go and see it!!!

Author: antoniaconti from United States
10 April 2007

I loved this movie. Loved the actors, the story, the setting, the music: all of it. I am European and really appreciated that kind of tone in the movie. I thought about it for a few days afterward. Joe Mantegna is fantastic in his role as Charlie. Max Minghella and Blake Lively are phenomenal as Elvis and Anabelle: the chemistry between them is great. Mary Steenburghen is amazing in anything she does. Keith Corradine is wonderful as well. I love the message of hope that gives to teens. It is refreshing after seeing all these horror/slasher movies out in theaters. I would definitely recommend this movie and in fact I am already doing so: when is it going to come out?

A truly memorable film!!!

Author: bonnie-matosich from United States
14 May 2007

Elvis and Annabelle does a superb job of capturing and dealing with the inner struggles of both characters. The natural chemistry between Max and Blake makes them perfect for the lead roles.

Joe Montegna also delivered in his role and touches your heart. He is genuine and in-character throughout the entire film.

I also liked how the film naturally transitioned from a darker, black & white feel to a brighter and more colorful feel when Annabelle arrived at the house/mortuary.

Most independent movies have been filmed on very tight budgets and therefore have numerous flaws that are evident on the screen. Elvis and Annabelle also was filmed on a tight budget, but the director did an amazing job of bringing the entire film together in a way that truly minimizes the flaws. What an accomplishment.

Extremely touching and beautiful!

Author: anelson5 from New York
14 May 2007

This film is absolutely exquisite in its presentation of a beautiful story. The characters are interesting and thoughtful, yet wonderfully mysterious. Max Minghella and Blake Lively have an incredible magnetic chemistry that keeps the audience engaged throughout the film. Max Minghella will definitely appeal to the younger female audience because his character, Elvis, is dark and mysterious, yet incredibly vulnerable and sensitive. Not to mention he is absolutely heaven to look at! The film also features amazing performances from seasoned actors such as Joe Mantegna and Mary Steenburgen. Finally, this film is unique in that it appeals to a variety of audiences. My teenage daughter fell in love with Max Minghella and his portrayal of Elvis, my mother was captured by the humorous and touching performance of Joe Mantegna, and my husband and I were pleased by the refreshing absence of violence. I would definitely recommend this film, and look forward to its future release. I hope it is soon!

Wonderful movie

Author: imecstatic2000 from United States
21 May 2007

I went to see Elvis and Annabelle at a screening in Los Angeles. I was captured by the uniquely beautiful and gritty Texas locations. The acting was terrific. Blake Lively really captured the innocence of first love and Max Minghella's performance had a brooding James Dean quality. A dreamlike atmosphere underlines this film, beautiful and disturbing, portraying love's many shades of dark and light. The writer-director has a very compelling story telling ability. One particularly poignant moment was when the red umbrella of the deceased father went drifting slowly across the field blown by the wind. The film was filled with many such moments. I recommend it!

An excellent movie

Author: jkl-94 from United States
3 June 2008

The movie made my wife cry (several times) and I thought about it (the movie) for several days afterward. We enjoyed it very much. So did everyone else at the showing (which was sold out). The film has an engaging story, happy ending, beautiful photography, great title, interesting setting (a mortuary without being gross)) and good actors. But it was also "different". The story in particular was thoughtful and well-written and, on its own, kept everyone engaged as the protagonists went from misguided misery to ignorant bliss to suspenseful drama, to . . . . I particularly liked Anabelle (beautiful and seemingly transparent acting), the mortician's father (deceptively sly in a positive fashion) and some of the "spare" dialog (which is hard to write). The mortician's devotion to his father was also touching. All in all, I strongly recommend the movie.

Better than expected - funny and romantic

Author: phd_travel from United States
4 April 2011

This movie should have had a wider release and more publicity. It's really enjoyable. It's got the story of a good indie movie like "Sideways" or "Little Miss Sunshine" - it's funny, touching, original and actually quite romantic. It's part dark comedy, part quirky romance. The situations are not unpleasant and the dialog is well written.

The actors are good. Blake Lively is a lovely beauty pageant contestant Anabelle and acts very well - probably one of the best acting jobs she has done out of Gossip Girl. She is a perfect fit for the role. Max Minghella as the embalmer Elvis while not a heartthrob is quite suited to this offbeat hero. They have chemistry a bit like Penn Badgley & Blake do in Gossip Girl. Mary Steenburgen is just right as the anxious pageant mom. Keith Carradine is good as the stepfather. Joe Mantegna is quite moving as Elvis's father.

Very highly recommended. Worth watching.

A tour de force of independent film-making

Author: andrew_todhunter from United States
2 November 2007

Appearing recently at the Mill Valley Film Festival, this jewel of a film combines deft humor, potent romantic chemistry and a subtle touch of the macabre in one of the most compelling love stories to appear on film in a long while. The script is wonderfully fresh, the cinematography stunning but never self-conscious, and the cast could not possibly be improved. Max Minghella is an extraordinary young talent--reminiscent of a young Johnny Depp--and Blake Lively is lovely and authentic as a small-town Texan beauty. Joe Mantegna does a phenomenal turn as an aging and disabled mortician, bringing dignity and wry humor to a challenging role. Kudos to writer-director Will Geiger for this beautiful film.

Beauty queen's world collides with mortician's son.

Author: from Brooklyn
15 May 2007

Based on the storyline, I expected the movie to be a little cheesy, but I was blown away by how good it was. I really enjoyed the plot development (trying not to spoil anything), I never once looked at my watch to estimate how much time was left. I was sucked into the story and forgot I was watching a movie. To me that is what makes a good film. Something that allows you to suspend belief, like a great book. I highly recommend it. It is sweet, but not a chic flick. I plan to add it to my collection. If movies had opposable thumbs, I would give it a high five. I was pleasantly surprised by Blake Lively, as I missed the Traveling Pants show. Max Minghella stole my heart. Joe Mantegna was fantastic as always. I am interested to see what else Will Geiger has done.

Elvis and Anabelle

Author: twisted_and_derranged from Romania
12 September 2010

The people who gave this movie one star may have seen another movie.

I loved it even though I hate Blake Lively to death (see Gossip Girl) because she can't even act and has an annoying voice. But in this movie she was actually decent, not great but bearable. Max Minghella is awesome as always(one of my favourite young actors) and he kinda saves the whole movie acting-wise (along with Joe Mantegna who shines as the alienated father). The plot was great and original, the directing was good but what really makes this a 10 out of 10 is the overall feeling I got. I was left with a smile on my face even though this is essentially a drama. It makes you think about things and offers a pretty optimistic view on life. Like looking on the bright side. It stuck with me and made me go and recommend it to my friends. Repeatedly. Miracles exist and this is a gem of a movie. Period.

"A very sweet movie"

Author: Karolinnu123 from Estonia
29 October 2010

I picked this movie out after seeing Max Minghella in Alejandro Amenabar's Agora. I wondered: who is this wonderful actor and why I don't know him? I liked this movie a lot, maybe because I didn't know what to expect... The storyline, the characters and the setting was exactly right. I really liked Mary Steenburg in this film, although I see her all the time in many productions, and she had a smaller part, I am going to remember her in this one. And a loud applause for Joe Mantegna, I first didn't recognize him but when I did, I was completely stunned that it was him. I hope to see Blake Lively (specially) and Max Mingella in drama genre because it suits them and they did absolutely fantastic work. 10 out of 10 for me, thanks to the right kind of ending :)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]