IMDb > "Will & Grace" The Finale (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Will & Grace" The Finale (2006)

« Prev | 188 of 188 Episodes

Final episode: Very good, but a few loose ends.

Author: snercher from United States
13 September 2006

The finale of "Will & Grace" was very good but I feel it could have been better. Anyone watching the show for years would have thought that Will and Grace would be the ones who would spend their lives together, since they seemed to have a deep, soulful connection when compared to Jack and Karen, who developed a playful, immature and even superficial relationship. Yet, this was not the case: Jack and Karen grew old together, while Will and Grace didn't speak to each other for 2 years, then reconciled, and then lost touch with each other for 20 years. I liked this twist because this actually happens in reality. Sometimes close best friends grow apart while mere acquaintances become life-long soul mates. Another twist that I liked in the series finale was that Jack, who for years was taken care of financially by Karen, was now the one who was taking care of her financially. Reversal of fortune is quite common in the real world and a very humbling thought. Be sure to develop friendships that will sustain you as you grow older even if you sometimes have to give more in the beginning. Don't assume that you will always be successful and don't look down on those who are less successful than you.

There were a few loose ends in the episode. What ever happened to Jack's son Elliot? Did they maintain a relationship? Is Jack a grandfather? Why would Jack appear to take care of Karen but not his own son for so many years? Jack's son was not discussed at all.

Also, why were Jack and Karen still single in the finale? They were both attractive and very sexual people. Couldn't they at least be dating other people or having some casual (and safe) encounters with different people?

What ever happened to Karen wanting to have a baby? Did she give up on that? And what happened to her relationship with her stepchildren - the ones she lived with for so many years. There was no mention of them. They could at least have devoted one line to these issues.

Perhaps I am nitpicking and the writers wanted to show that Jack and Karen became comfortable with who they were. But I always believe that shows should not just dismiss certain personal and family issues in a final episode after incorporating them in the show over the years.

I was not comfortable with the storyline that featured Jack ending up wealthy after his lover, Beverly Leslie, was killed off leaving Jack his estate especially since Jack didn't love Beverly Leslie at all. I would have liked to see Jack become wealthy by becoming a famous actor, dancer or even winning the lottery but not at the expense of someone else. It's true that Jack was planning on breaking up with Beverly before Beverly died and that Jack had nothing to do with Beverly's death but I still felt that storyline was a little too gruesome. Beverly Leslie was a quirky, funny character and didn't deserve to go that way. It seems that the writers were punishing him just because he wasn't openly gay or "out" but I don't think that people should be punished just because they are closet gays.

I loved the scene where Jack and Karen sing "Unforgettable" together while Jack plays the piano. Very touching.

All in all, I think the "Will & Grace" finale was very moving and entertaining at the same time.

Disappointing end

Author: Mrs_William_the_Bloody from Somewhere Over the Rainbow
22 May 2006

I really liked Will & Grace and was extremely disappointed with the series finale. The behavior of the title characters was uncharacteristic. Am I really supposed to believe that they went almost 20 years with speaking to each other? Or that Jack hooked up with closet gay guy? There was no depth or closure. It seemed like everything was slapped together in a hurry. What happened with Jack's son? Also, it seems like the writers were saying that you can't have the love of your life and your best friend. Sad. Why did Vince take Will back when the only reason Will went back to him was because Grace left? That was apparently a non-issue, but I have a hard time swallowing that.

Going Out In High Style

Author: nycritic
8 June 2006

For eight years now, WILL AND GRACE had come into the television sets of the American public and entertained households with their crazy antics, over-the-top humor and Will's fairly "safe" sexuality, never seen on screen as much as implied in timid gestures and references to it in dialogue.

However, by now, most of its story lines had been apparently used up, and there was that dismal Sixth season that prompted a serious revision where it was that the series wanted to go to -- be it La-La Land or Back to Basics. Luckily, the producers and those in charge of writing had decided that Back to Basics was the best route to go and slowly but surely, the show was saved from becoming a parody of itself.

There were a couple of episodes that seemed to be repeats from other episodes like the one in which Will and Grace vied for the attentions of one Georgia Keller (Sharon Stone), which was a re-hash from a nearly identical episode where Will and Grace vied for the attention of Fanny Lieber (Glenn Close).

Even so, the series got better with each outing, they had two live episodes which were admittedly a gamble, but one that paid off, and a slow crescendo to a finale that began to show the strengths of the show: Grace's progressive re-connecting with Leo, Will's liaison with a Canadian actor (played by Taye Diggs) while on hiatus from his most successful relation to date to Vince (Bobby Cannavale). Of course, that affair ended badly and for a moment it seemed the producers did not want to see Will having a stable relationship. Adding fuel to the fire was how the series almost crashed in a faux pas that echoed its incursion into Will and Grace having a baby together. I thought that the only way producers could envision Will having a happy ending was to make him a "straightened version" of himself.

Thankfully, I was wrong, and this finale brought together one of the most satisfying endings I've seen in sitcoms. The theme of friendship above all resonated highly even with the more crazy characters of Karen and Jack, and seeing them acknowledge how they'd manage to stay together even when they hadn't sustained one single real relationship with anyone else was actually more poignant than seeing Will and Grace reconcile after one of their spats. Megan Mullaly and Sean Hayes were brilliant in stepping out of character and singing a piano rendition of "Unforgettable" while replaying their "let's touch stomachs" which made their first encounter so memorable. They, to me, became the best part of the finale.

And needless to say, the "Meet Cute" of Will and Grace's own kids, Lila and Ben, which seemed to indicate just how much life revolves on a cycle of birth, re-birth, and repetition. Of course, this time, both have a chance together at happiness since both are straight, but it's also a fitting ending, in an annexed sort of way, to the relationship between a boy and a girl that began one day while on campus in the mid-80s.

Amazing, Heartwarming - recipe for a perfect FINALE

Author: KingsleyOWalker from United Kingdom
22 July 2006

I saw this, today because i missed the official showing on NBC. Iloved it. It was very well written, and the plot and subplots kept me totally interested in the whole of the episode!!! The message of Grace's dream was well-thought out and utterly hilarious. The ideas where as fresh as when the show first started and that truly showed the amazing work the writers do. This episode was possibly one of the best finales in TV history in my view because it captured the irony and humour between JACK, KAREN, WILL AND GRACE, and their children's behaviour. The sociology of the characters introduced were intriguing!! The message of the finale was simply that friendship triumphs over everything, because through all the trials and tribulations will and grace, jack and Karen had each other. The directing at the end got me in tears!!

mixed emotions

Author: du04 from West Midlands, United Kingdom
20 July 2006

Overall i did enjoy the finale but as earlier comments have said there were some weird and unfeasible moments such as W&G not talking for 20 years and Beverley Lesley being dragged off the balcony by a gust of wind!

However, agreeing with earlier comments, Karen and Jack's rendition of 'Unforgettable' showcased how truly talented Megan Mullally and Sean Hayes are, for me personally, they have always been the stars of the show!

It could have been done so much better but i am still and will remain a huge fan of the show, long live Will & Grace.

Compared to other finales...

Author: isuperducky-1 from United States
27 June 2006

I appreciated that the cast/writers/director actually felt compelled to tie up the story into a neat little package and tie it up in a bow. How many times have we been disappointed by a show finale? Too many to count. **spoiler** I enjoyed that not only did everyone end up happy, but we even got the rare glance into the future to know that Will and Grace remained "together" through the strongest bond of all -- blood. Their children ended up together, which by using our imagination will mean grandkids and lots of reunions and holidays together. I'm sad the show is now over, but at least it went out with a little class. Oh yeah, and Jack and Karen -- wow!! What a lovely ending to them. Loved the song! Loved the chemistry. I want to thank the cast for giving me a half hour every Thursday to look forward to.

Such a mixed blessing...

Author: sebastian90012 from United States
3 June 2006

Wow. The finale of "Will & Grace" sure wasn't what I'd expected. It wasn't bad, not at all, but it certainly would've been different had I been in charge! In a nutshell: Leo returns and proposes to a very pregnant Grace. Due to this, Grace and Will stop speaking for two years and raise their own children in different lives. Although - through Jack and Karen - they end up reuniting, their friendship is altered and - for the next 20 years - they rarely see each other. It is only when their children meet and become engaged that they return to their old ways of friendship.

So, let's see. There was plenty of good here: Will ended up with Vince, Grace ended up with Leo, and in a way it was satisfying to see that in the end our two leads didn't solely rely on each other. Also, the opening sequence - a prophetic dream by Grace in which she and Will live together in exaggerated circumstances of their current lives while Jack is married to Kevin Bacon, and Karen hasn't aged - was very funny. And the Karen and Jack segments of the episode were very amusing. In the final sequence, where the two - living happily and older together, with Rosario - sing a duet of "Unforgettable" was truly touching.

I didn't hate the idea of Will & Grace growing apart. It happens to the best of friends and it was the realistic side the show had always had (alongside the blatantly unrealistic streak the show has, such as Beverly Leslie being blown off of his balcony and to his early death!).

But the problem with this finale was that it didn't feel like good finales should. That is, it didn't feel like it addressed any of the show's long-term story lines, or remind us of why we watched in the first place. We didn't see any recurring characters - no family members or Elliott; Karen and Jack had maybe four scenes between them; and a lot of the episode felt too overly sentimental.

In the end, I do think the finale will stand well when watched on DVD along with other episodes. We've recently had episodes with Will and Grace's families, with Rob and Ellen etc. And I think - after 8 years - the show deserved a different kind of send-off to most shows. But as a stand-alone episode, watched after eight years of watching, it felt like a bit of a letdown.

Mixed feelings, I guess you could say.

Rush Job on DVD Package for Over-the-Top Finale Still Seems Fitting for an Enduring Sitcom

Author: Ed Uyeshima from San Francisco, CA, USA
1 June 2006

Like most people I know, I think NBC's "Will & Grace" peaked approximately between seasons two and four and has since settled into a predictable rhythm of amusement and frustration compounded by an overuse of guest stars trying to upend their images. However, what remains consistent over the eight seasons is the crack timing of the four principals - Eric McCormack and Debra Messing in the title roles (even as their characters became more neurotically tiresome) and more brilliantly, Sean Hayes and Megan Mullaly as Jack and Karen, as perfect a match of second bananas as Ted Baxter and Lou Grant on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show".

While quickly releasing a DVD of a long-running series finale is becoming standard marketing practice by the networks, it actually seems a shame that a bit more thought was not given to this package even with its bargain price. The final 45-minute episode, of course, is here but not the totality of the full-hour retrospective that preceded it on its May 18 airing, "Say Goodnight, Gracie". Instead, there are two featurettes. The first is "The Final Bow", which contains backstage footage during the filming of the last episode (versus similar footage taken of the penultimate episode for the retrospective). The second is "The Last Words", which extends on the interview portions with the individual cast members shown during the retrospective. Both are serviceable extras but hardly as insightful as one would have hoped given the endurance of the series (for instance, the critical role of fortuitous scheduling as one would think some credit should be given to "Friends" as a lead-in on so-called "Must-See Thursdays"). The most glaring omission, however, is the original pilot episode since there are several direct references to it in the finale, a point lost on anyone who does not remember it.

One irrefutable point about the final episode is that the script by series creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick, while not even close to the series' best, is completely in sync with the excessive, flamboyant spirit of the show itself. It was obviously not going to be enough to have the four characters play out their goodbyes in real-time. Instead, we get a dream sequence of the four characters sixteen years later; a flash-forward two years later showing Will and Grace reconciling over her perceived betrayal in rejecting Will as her baby's "father"; and most ludicrously, a fateful meeting eighteen years after that when their respective children end up living in the same college dormitory. I actually think the escalating contrivances are what make this a classic sitcom. It doesn't have to make sense as long as fans are in thrall over how the characters' lives evolve. Detractors certainly have reason to raise their eyebrows, but there are certain pleasures to be experienced, for instance, Jack and Karen's sweetly performed duet of "Unforgettable" emboldened by Mullaly's supple singing voice and the silly opening dream sequence. I have to admit it would have been a nice tweak had the offspring of Will & Grace been of the same sex and that they marry without incident. To me, that would have summed up one of the underlying messages of this groundbreaking series.

I enjoyed the finale ** definite spoilers**

Author: gwynplaine2 from United States
24 May 2006

The writers attempted to come up with an unusual ending rather than something traditional, and I respect them for that. If anything, Will and Grace was never traditional.

They may have tried to cover too many years in an hour-long episode, but there were several laughs, many tears, and at the end of the show, everyone was back together.

Some have said they have problems with Will and Grace growing apart...but there are several people I was great friends with back in high school, but now that we live in separate towns, we no longer are close. And the episode did cover why Will and Grace were mad at each other and waiting for the other to make the first move. That happens a lot in real life too. (Fights between two people are often the strongest, and last the longest, when they care about each other, and both feel hurt.) Of course, someone may argue that sitcoms aren't usually so realistic. And they'd be right.

The story line between Will, Grace, and their two kids ended on the right note. The way Karen, Jack, and Rosario ended up seemed a bit off kilter, but then again, they were the most off-kilter characters. A few more guest stars from the 8 seasons might have been nice. But overall it was a good finale.

And they did a great job finding young actors that looked like Will and Grace to play their kids.

Brilliantly Sad and almost makes up for being the show being unwatchable for the last four years

Author: schf from United Kingdom
20 September 2012

The show bravely and beautifully finally addresses the main issue with the will and grace show and that being that their relationship is a toxic crutch that prevents either of them from moving on and finding happiness in lasting relationships. The bitter pill is that in order to move on their friendship must end in bitterness and recrimination and while they do finally get lives of there own and even grow as people(Will no longer so anal and grace a bit more anal)its still sad to see as much as it is heart-warming. They took a real risk with this ending and it paid off brilliantly even though they barely speak for 20 years in the flash forwards its nice to see them still having so much love for each other even if they can never be what they once were. Times change so do people will and grace is the story of two people who grew apart and became better for it. A remarkable complex and adult ending requiring multiple viewings ENJOY