IMDb > Over Her Dead Body (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Surprisingly good

Author: faith_hope_trick from England
1 February 2008

In complete contrast to the opinions of the other review, this film actually was surprisingly good! I reluctantly went to see it and expected to be bored by clichés, obvious jokes and overacting, all of which the trailer had promised.

However, after 5 minutes in I found myself genuinely laughing and enjoying the refreshing acting. With only one 'toilet humour' gag, Over Her Dead Body manages to actually come up with realistically funny scenarios and, without spoiling anything too much, some of the moments involving animals are hilarious.

The staple ingredients of a good film are all there; script, director and actors and compared some other recent attempts at romantic comedy, this film stands tall.

Sure, you aren't going to learn anything or have a spiritual awakening, but if you go with an open mind you will more than likely have a good time!

Entertaining. Isn't that what these films are meant to be?

Author: filmbuff20 from United Kingdom
7 May 2008

By now, we all know the formula of a romantic comedy. The basic framework revolves around a guy meeting a girl, a love triangle, a little white lie and an event that causes them to split before the soggy finale where they kiss and make up, living happily ever after. If you go into a rom-com expecting much more or something that deviates from that path, you'll probably be disappointed. After bar setting movies like When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless In Seattle and Four Weddings and a Funeral, the constant stream of lazy efforts in recent years can cause one to be seriously jaded by the genre. So it is with this skepticism and desire to switch off my brain, that I pop Over Her Dead Body into my DVD player. It is apparent from a mere glance at the synopsis that this film will not last long in my memory, change my life or be any kind of profound filmic experience for me, but I was entertained. The script was amusing, the delivery from the four leads (Bell, Rudd, Biggs, Longoria) precise and well timed. The premise was an interesting spin on an oft used plot device.

So what's not to like? An entertaining, funny and endearing romantic comedy. At best, a competent entry into the genre, quite a way ahead of most of it's type and at worst, a movie that feels like a sitcom without a laughter track. As someone who likes sitcoms, that isn't a particularly bad thing. In a nutshell, you could do a lot worse.

I did like it

Author: Joel Sallee from Indiana
4 February 2008

Look it's Eva Longoria and Paul Rudd in a movie about a dead girlfriend haunting the new girlfriend. It's Gabrielle from Desperate Housewives and the guy who wore "sex Panther cologne" in Anchorman. If you are expecting a Golden Globe nominated movie then you need to rethink how you look at movies. However, if you are willing to suspend reality for 90 minutes and want to watch a funny movie then you've come to the right place. The characters are all funny. They work together very well. The real match up is Paul Rudd and Lake Bell. He's as funny as he was on Friends and she was funny and good looking all at the same time. I went with my wife, she enjoyed it and so did I.

It starts out a bit boring, but picks up pace though, kind of

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
17 May 2008

Over Her Dead Body was a nice little movie, in general, that wasn't meant to be a masterpiece, but is just for enjoyment when you have nothing better to do, or are going to watch/see a so-so movie with your significant other. It was decent and entertaining, and pretty funny, and by pretty funny I mean there were some little giggles here and there.

There were a few clichés, but I don't really care about that. I found most stuff fresh. At first, I didn't think it was going to be good at all, when it started out. If you can get past the first twenty minutes though, the movie starts getting more interesting. This film wasn't burst out in laughter hilarious, like I said, and wasn't "oh my gosh" wonderful. It was just a movie that you can sit down and enjoy for how enjoyable it was meant to be.

I could understand why some may hate it and think it is very mediocre, but as the lenient movie reviewer I am, I found myself lightening up on it and just having fun, mild fun, but still, fun. There was nothing horrible enough about it to give it a 1/10, in my honest opinion, which that is what a lot of people gave it.

About This Dead Movie

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
13 September 2008

Okay, it's not that terrible a movie but it felt pretty dead. There is just no soul and no chemistry (two very important ingredients for rom-coms). Moreover the story fails to stay focused as it wonders whether to focus on Eva and Lake's battle or Lake and Paul's love story. As someone mentioned, it tires to combine 'How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days' and 'Just Like Heaven' (both movies which I enjoyed) but fails to reach that level. None of the characters are likable. I found them to be quite irritating. The only bright light here is some of the comedy which manages to get some chuckles. Eva Longoria repeats her Gabrielle Solis act (of 'Desperate Housewives') except that this time her character is dead. She does provide some eye candy and is funny in some sequences. Paul Rudd looks careless throughout the entire movie. Lake Bell, though she doesn't act bad, there is something missing. Jason Biggs does well with what he's given. 'Over Her Dead Body' is just a weak and forgettable movie.

a decent movie with your gf or significant other, nothing more

Author: shawn_too_hotty from Canada
30 January 2008

i wasn't a fan of seeing this movie at all, but when my gf called me and said she had a free advanced screening pass i tagged along only for the sake of seeing eva longoria and laughing at jason biggs antics.

overall it was actually better then i expected but not by much. this was like a hybrid of how to lose a guy in 10 days and just like heaven. a typical romantic comedy with its moments i guess. the movie was quite short though (around 85 min.) but it was enough to tell the whole story, build some character development and have a decent happy ending. the whole idea of a ghost haunting its former husband was a interesting plot to follow. eva did a good job of keeping up the sarcasm and paul rudd and the rest of the supporting cast (especially jason biggs) kept the laughs coming at a smooth pace.

overall i liked the movie only because it had a good amount of laughs to keep me going otherwise i would have given this movie a lower rating. hey its a chick flick and i'm reviewing this movie from a guy's persepctive alright, it would be more of a fair fight if females reviewied this movie and gave there thoughts about it.

It's alright

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
9 May 2008

I have to admit that Over Her Dead Body actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting, my mom wanted to see it, so I rented it. I figured just to go ahead and see the horror before my eyes, but actually this wasn't too bad. I was just expecting this horrific movie, but it seems like the writers meant no harm, but the casting of Eva Longoria(Parker, sorry), she seems a little off set for the movie. I think I may have found it to be a little better without her, just she does annoy me. But Paul Rudd and Lake Bell had a decent chemistry that made the film somewhat likable. But you have to admit, there was no point to this movie, it was one of those quick paychecks for the actor type of thing. The movie could've been funnier if someone had really paid attention to it and had a better cast.

Henry just lost his bride to be, Kate, who was killed by an ice sculpture on their wedding day. But when his sister takes him to a psychic, Ashley, Henry falls for her, but Kate is haunting her from beyond the grave. Kate is jealous and doesn't want Henry to move on so quickly and she will make sure that Ashley doesn't get him by torturing her day and night with her rambles, believe me, with Kate's voice, that's scary.

Over Her Dead Body is an alright movie, not sure if it's worth the money, but I'd give it a rental for you if you want to see it or are curious. Eva Longoria just doesn't have enough star power to make the film work, no offense to those who love her, she just belongs on the small screen over the silver screen. Not to mention the character of Ashley, she seems still not too likable with everything she pulls, or her "gay" friend, Dan, just again, not really likable. Just with some re-writing and proper attention, this film could have been better, but instead we get the average predictable romantic comedy that will leave with with an empty feeling.

Glimpses of superb talent

Author: The_Duke_of_Dunstable from Stockholm, Sweden
16 January 2009

I wasn't overly impressed by this movie, mostly because of the script. Hollywood is not very imaginative when it comes to think outside the box, thus all films follow the magic and boring formula of "a beginning, a middle and an end". And when Hollywood decides to go wild and add something else to that concept, it usually ends up spoiling the movie. They did it in this flick. I'm not about to reveal anything but it has to do with Jason Biggs character.

Still, the movie has it's moments. All ghost movies has that in common that there comes a time when a medium or similar relates what the ghost is saying to a loved one who can't see it. We saw it done better in "Ghost" with Demi More, Patrick Swayze and Whoopi Goldberg, and more recently in much funnier movie "Ghosttown", with Ricky Gervais. This movie has that scene too, but the disappointing script passes over it too quickly and with not much result for the plot.

The highlight of the movie is the acting of two leads; Paul Rudd and the surprisingly funny Lake Bell.

I've long had a growing admiration for Rudd, who has developed a style similar to that of Chevy Chase at his best. If ever a serious production of sequels to the Fletch movies gets a green light, the casting agent would do wisely in considering Rudd.

Lake Bell is rather new to me, and I was severely impressed by her comedy talent. She could easily be pictured in over-the-top comedy things and take on a female lead over Jim Carreys character in "Dumb & dumber" or Ben Stillers in "There's something about Mary". The Farrelly brothers could have a new star in her.

In conclusion, this film was watchable. "Ghosttown" is a better movie in all considerations, but Rudd and Bell are a joy.

Over Her Dead Body killed my soul!

Author: Desiree (moviesaccordingtodes@gmail.com) from United States
14 October 2010

I have nothing good to say about this movie at all. I did like the plot, it had a lot of potential but I felt that it wasn't made well and that it was too predictable. I was bored for the most part. It was more filled with stupidity than humor. There were so many stupid occurrences in this flick. First off, how Eva Longoria died- ridiculous! Second, Lake Bell's best friend's/assistant's situation. I don't want to give anything away but again, ridiculous.

The acting was terrible, not convincing at all. I felt like I was watching some kids at a Junior High School production. The ending was very predicable because there is just no other way to end the movie. It wasn't very creative.

Overall, the film was unoriginal and dull. That is an hour and a half of my life that I will never get back. I shouldn't have sat through that entire movie. Question-how was this released?

Ugh! Spoilers

Author: noirtype from United States
2 February 2008

This film is shoddily-made, unoriginal garbage. I like romantic comedies sometimes. Watching a good one is like eating ice cream for dinner. It's not something you are going to do all the time, but the experience is so pleasurable that you can ignore how unwise you are being. This movie made me think about how stupid I was for continuing to remain seated for its entire running time. Everything about it screamed made on the cheap. It actually looks like they overexposed the film at certain points it is so washed out. It boasts cheesy CGI and lame sets, too.

The writing was clunky. I know that you can usually expect some plot problems in a screwball comedy, but you usually don't really care because you are laughing. This movie is so unfunny that you actually sit there and wonder about the unlikely series of coincidences and completely unbelievable behavior involved. Events were placed in the film just to move the characters from one scene to the next or to provide exposition. Sure, this is how all movies work, but you shouldn't notice that it's happening. Inelegant. That's the term I should use.

There was almost no one in the movie who was really likable. I didn't care who ended up with whom, as long as they all stayed the hell away from me, and I didn't have to listen to them talk about it anymore. Why would the only really cool character in the movie, the Paul Rudd character, want to have anything to do with the completely bitchy, condescending, control freak played by Eva Longoria? Also, almost all of the characters involved consistently picked the sleaziest solution to any situation. A straight man pretends to be gay for five years just to hang out (and bathe with) with a woman he is attracted to? The best feel-good moment they could come up with was to tack on a happy ending for the same schmoe where he gets together with Rudd's equally annoying lying, kleptomaniac sister? Lake Bell and Eva Longoria are very attractive, appealing women. Maybe they will find something better to appear in down the road.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]